8 hours into white orchid :\

+
8 hours into white orchid :\

Hello,

Does anyone know how big the white orchid prologue map is compared to the larger main map? I didn't realize white orchid was only the tutorial zone!! How can it be it's huge if you do all the side quests. I'm 8 hours in and still have at least 10 question marks to explore.

Anyone else have this "problem"?

how is a big zone with quality content a problem ? took me 5-7h to clean everything there, the main zone map is at least 3 time bigger than that, you can skip all the side quest and just do the main quest nothing wrong with that

Hello,

Does anyone know how big the white orchid prologue map is compared to the larger main map? I didn't realize white orchid was only the tutorial zone!! How can it be it's huge if you do all the side quests. I'm 8 hours in and still have at least 10 question marks to explore.
I'm about 40 hours in, I would say rest of the map, is about 30x bigger than White Orchard

Alright so one person says 3x bigger the other person says 30x bigger.

lol.

Any factual data on size comparison?

I don't know, it's much larger though, but also more varied. Honestly, I don't know what is your problem exactly. The game is supposed to be huge.

yes I have that 'problem' but given how amazing the world and side quests are, its something i am more than happy to live with :) then again I am also the type of person who may of spent two hours of in game time just watching a sunrise :innocent:

Distances roughly north-south, to noticeboards are 2259 paces and 1674 paces from "Hanging Tree".
This is around what I estimated as the probable "internal" active part of the map, at around 4-5km... which is also around the acknowledged (playable) size of Skellige.

There is additional high res terrain ~ some of which is obviously playable (there are buildings which look to be intended to be visited) a little beyond the location of known notice board locations, but I haven't yet tested the 'edges' of the world... the 8.5km given in design documents is the whole high res map, not only the usable area. (Unless of course a pace is significantly over 1m).

Distances are almost always substantially longer because direct travel is risky (high level monsters) and often blocked, by water, cliffs or other obstacles. (Technically many can be crossed, but it is often faster to find a slightly longer route and use Roach).

From memory (I didn't remember to actually record values), White Orchard was only around 1km square, maybe a little more, so Velen and Novigrad are around 9-16x as large and the density and 'danger' of contacts is higher too. Not objectionably, but enough that some care needs to be taken while moving around.

Note "map edges" aren't straight. Bits stick out into the margin, and the margin sometimes creeps into the main area "Ameoba-like".

So far I'm only a little way into Velen on a restarted playthrough, and I've only just started taking quests from noticeboards (and picking off the low hanging fruit as I pass by).

I'll get to main quest stuff in a little while ~ I feel I rushed into it too fast last time and had some trouble with a few encounters.

Make it a $5 or $10 game. Wouldn't hurt. Plus an option to sync or import and export Gwent cards/deck between the standalone Gwent and Witcher 3. That would be freaking awesome.

I wrote the sidequest guide for Eurogamer and it took me around 100 hours to do all the sidequests (both story and non-story) for White Orchid, Velen, Novigrad, and Skellige, plus as much plot as required to trigger story sidequests. At a guess I'd say visiting all the places of interest would add another 20 hours. How you can spend 30 hours in White Orchid is beyond me!

Hello,

LOL, that is what fascinated me about TW3 when I stared playing it. It has SO MUCH, and the best thing is there might be one or two "side content" stuff which I do regard as a cheap world event typical for Open World games, but the rest (especially contracts, side quests, monster nests) are SO SUBSTANTIAL.

Can't wait to leave White Orchard myself (playing on Death March and recording it, that is why I am not further yet) and explore the REAL big world.

My estimate is I will probably have been in White Orchard for around 10 hours in the end.
Does anybody know if we can come BACK to W.O. later? I don't think so, right?

I don't recall WO ever being inaccessible, and you should be able to return at your leisure. (And seriously, WO should take a few hours at most; what are you people doing there?)

LOL, that is what fascinated me about TW3 when I stared playing it. It has SO MUCH, and the best thing is there might be one or two "side content" stuff which I do regard as a cheap world event typical for Open World games, but the rest (especially contracts, side quests, monster nests) are SO SUBSTANTIAL.

Can't wait to leave White Orchard myself (playing on Death March and recording it, that is why I am not further yet) and explore the REAL big world.

My estimate is I will probably have been in White Orchard for around 10 hours in the end.
Does anybody know if we can come BACK to W.O. later? I don't think so, right?

You can return to White Orchard at any time after you leave it by using any fast travel sign post.

Land mass comparisons are tricky,
but based on pacing distances, Wild Orchard is less than 5% of the game.

In terms of sidequest count it's less than 4% of the game, and in terms of plot it's nothing -- it's pretty much a tutorial area to introduce the contract/sidequest/treasure hunt mechanisms, stop spending so long in it you crazy people!

I am 17 hours in and still have a fair few ? marks to explore. Haven't even done the
Griffin
quest yet haha.

Top Bottom