Game freezing after around 15 minutes / sound keeps playing

+
352.86 randomly crashes on desktop on my GTX 780 Classified, I was using 344.something for months without a single issue, but I had lots of crashes playing TW3 in Velen area, so I updated to 347.25, and now it works, I've played for half an hour and visited every single site where it'd immediately crash without a single issue at all!

I don't know if this driver would also lead to other problems later (other games or desktop usage) but for now, i think it's the best of the both worlds for us 780 owners.

(Note: I left GF Experience installed at latest version, didn't downclock/optimize anything and left PhysX at latest version, not the older version 347.25 installs by itself.)

Gave it a try both with an install over the top of the latest drivers and doing a full DDU uninstall and re-install to 347.25 but alas the same thing is happening. Back to waiting for a proper patch.

I'm going to give them a week and if they haven't fixed it by then I'm going for a refund. No point paying top whack for a game so you can play it on day one when you can't. May as well wait a few months for CDPR to get their arse into gear and the game to be half the price.

We REALLY need a fix for this. Could we have at least a dev acknowledging that they're aware of the situation? I've bought the game 3 days ago, and still cannot play it.

working fine now using only anti aliasing + sharpening low + ssao in post-processing

graphics: all mid, fps ulimited, borderless, vsync off, hair OFF, hardware cursor ON

on nvidia control panel: adjust image settings with preview: Let the 30 app decide

-EmirSc

the new patch just released. "overall stability improvements" it says. lets wait to see if it fixes it. please do post your results here. i was still crashing as of 1.03

---------- Updated at 03:30 PM ----------

30 mins into the game, crashed again. thank you CDPR

This is the only workable Solution for my. Since downclocking my GT770, no more crashes. Performance lost? Maybe, i see it not...

Attachments

• Neue Bitmap.jpg
    Neue Bitmap.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 52
Still no answer from CDPR? This problem is really annoying and not solved from CDPR or Nvidia with a patch or new drivers...

Had no problems for the first 10 hours, then I overclocked my GTX780 for a few more FPS. That's when the game started freezing up like described in the OP. I have now reduced the clock speed (not to default, but substantially lower than my original overclock) and have not experienced a single freeze since.

It seems overclocking is causing some problems, so try to sacrifice some FPS so that the game is atleast playable until a fix arrives.

Tried on 1.04. Still the same issues. Nasty crash casting a sign for the first time, needed a hard reset.

Update: Also tried down clocking, no better. GPU drivers crashed watching the noonwraith circle the well (yes... I pre-ordered and that's how far I've managed to get!)

Last edited:
I had two freezes up to Vizima. The first was in the inn when I wanted to browse the landlady's wares. The last was when I had to choose my black suit in Vizima. The sound continues and the image freezes. I had similar problems with Dragon Age Inquisition. Always during cutscenes/cinematics. I solved this by changing from GTX 660 to GTX 970 two weeks ago. I can't say it's the same thing. The image is just freezing. With DAI the graphics driver was terminated by Windows (DirectX Error - Device Hung etc.). Origin and Windows was arguing about who was to be in control. I don't think this is the same. It's just similar, but not in any way as frequent as with DAI. With DAI I just hit Esc/Skip rapidly and passed the cutscenes. I don't know if I can do this with W3. i5-3450 @ 3.10 GHZ RAM 16 GB GTX 970

I was so hyped for this game and i bought it at RELEASE and I still havent been able to put more than 2 hours in it because it constantly CRASH!. Why don't you atleast respond to this problem CDPROJECT? Feels like you don't care at all when you don't even acknowledge the problem. Game crashes between 5-15 minutes with newest nvidia drivers. Tried older drivers and could play for 40 minutes then crash again. I want my money back if you can't solve this because charging full price for a game that doesn't even work is not right.

I7 2600k
8 GB RAM
680 GTX

I went as far as I could. Formatted my PC and installed Windows 10 to test. Downloaded some generic drivers, which I've never used before, and got the same results. Game freezes in the fight with the well's ghost. Anything different is that I got some notification saying that my video driver had stopped working and restarted.

I give up. There's nothing that we can do. CDPROJEKT really need to give us a feedback on the subject.

I went as far as I could. Formatted my PC and installed Windows 10 to test. Downloaded some generic drivers, which I've never used before, and got the same results. Game freezes in the fight with the well's ghost. Anything different is that I got some notification saying that my video driver had stopped working and restarted.

I give up. There's nothing that we can do. CDPROJEKT really need to give us a feedback on the subject.

Wow you went the extra step to see if you can get this game to work. I give you props for that. Sucks that nothing helps though. We just have to wait till the game is fixed.... v.v

It does make me slightly sad that an 18 page thread full of people genuinely trying to get this game to work, sharing ideas and approaches and with very little raging get no RED response at all yet "my beard doesn't grow and that makes my sad" get's an instant dev response. Poor show CDPR.

Yeah, I too got still the same issue with those crashes.

I've exchanged mails with some support guy from CDPR, but he gave me no real solution, only generic one not adapted to our problem.

I really hope it will get corrected in a patch, because most of the times, Witcher 3 is unplayable.

I'm getting real sick and tired of not getting any response from CDPR, I just feel like they are ignoring this issue.

I payed 50€ for a broken game and I'm angry at them for not doing anything about it.
I am mailing them ATM, in the hope that they will answer.

Update: surprisingly I received a reply from CDPR asking for my DxDiag. I'm not very hopeful, nor was the reply very explanatory. Seemed like a standard (Copy & Paste) response.

FYI, I mailed all these addresses:
media@cdprojektred.com
biz@cdprojektred.com
careers@cdprojektred.com

Last edited:
Top Bottom