• No

Votes: 61 7.0%
  • I wish this was a Sard poll

Votes: 27 3.1%
  • I don't get the "Sard poll" joke

Votes: 98 11.3%
  • I don't vote on polls

Votes: 8 0.9%
  • "I don't vote on polls". Genius, Reptile, just genius.

Votes: 8 0.9%
  • Sometimes, we do things we regret. On a related note, how's it going today?

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
I don't think you're going to find a lot of people in support of this idea. Most people despise level scaling.

I used to despise level scaling. Then I played TW3 and tried to do a lot of side quests because I enjoyed them. Now the game presents no challenge even on Death March because I'm far too overleveled so I have to intentionally gimp myself by investing into useless skills, not using alchemy, and wearing level 4 armor. So after seeing how the non-level scaling has been implemented, I'm now in support of upscaling that OP is suggesting.

all enemies - nah, if ive leveled for 30 levels im a badass motherhugger and should be able to easily deal with a ragtag pack of dogs

quests only, hell yes

edit: or maybe slightly scale them up the further away from the roads i go

i think a big part of the problem is the huge difference in levels just 5 or so levels apart

Last edited:
Note: This thread is supportive of up-scaling levels only. Down scaling is generally a bad idea for games and would destroy this one in particular.

I would first like to say that I am really enjoying this game. It may well end up being one of my favorite games of all time.

One issue I have though is that the game becomes too easy after a while, since there are so many missions to complete that I found my Witcher becoming over-leveled compared to the opposition he was facing. It was disappointing when I faced a boss that looked powerful and yet went down easily. I am playing on the harder difficulty settings, so that isn't the issue.

I think the fix would be simple: upscale enemy levels to Geralt's. A mission that is level 14 can remain that when Geralt is level 8, but should be at least near 20 when Geralt is level 20. Likewise, random enemies on the road should be at least somewhere in the range of Geralt's levels so each combat goes from a sure-victory to being a fight for survival.

---------- Updated at 12:36 PM ----------

Since the game already has non-scaled levels, it might not even be a bad idea for this to be an option in the menu.

I thought i would never say it but... agree. For the moment I am not having problems with the level of the enemies but i am scare of still leveling my character and find the quests (specially the main story quests) too easy. It would kill the epicness of the moment. :(

I am all up for this since enemies around my lv, which is 31, are a joke right now with my mastercrafted gear, while some guards in the city at lv 44 befit the death march difficulty I am playing at, so I'd go as far to say that the enemies should be a couple of levels higher than you, because enemies at my lv do barely 15-20% of my health on a direct hit

Another bump in the hope this gets noticed by CDPR

Just look at that! :'(

I imagine these 2 cents of mine will get buried amidst so many other suggestions, but anyway... Having finished my first playthrough, there are some things I find could have greatly improved my enjoyment with the game.

1- Faster paced combat, especially dodging, as seen in this older build (http://bit.ly/1ciPU7m). Seems more appropriate for a witcher, and much more fun for the player.

2- Faster level progression. I beat it on DM having reached level 35 with few Places of Power, but did not unlock any tier 3 skills. I believe it would be better if Geralt leveled something like 1.5x faster, and enemies 1.6x (as the game got easier later on). That way we could use more of the skill trees and have more tactical and specialized builds.

2a- If that should be done, maybe it would be good to have a slightly positive level scaling, that is, lower level enemies become higher level according to how high Geralt's level is. E.g., being level 50 and meeting a level 15 monster would be too easy (much easier than in the normal scaling, where you'd be level ~30 by then), so the monster should level accordingly and be something like level 30; still easy, but not so much.

3- A level progression speed option alongside the difficulty: normal or slow leveling. Doing many secondary quests, contracts and exploration makes you overleveled for the main quest. Having the option to gain less exp could solve this problem (which is ubiquitous in the forum right now).

4- As kissybyc said, add shadows for small objects, at least in cutscenes during close-ups. It's ugly to see flat shadowless lighting in such scenes in an otherwise so beautiful game.

I fully support this notion on quests where the mob is generated for it specifically. Upscale the level!
In the open world, I don't mind, trash monsters should be trash. Big monsters are usually pretty high already, but quests? 100% for it!

I agree about the LVL scaling for quests since the chances of coming across them to play them in the right order/at the right LVL to make them challenging are so slim.

In the mean time the band aid solution would be to visit EVERY notice board in the zone before you even start questing so you can play them all at the right time ti keep them a challenge.

Sure you'll still come across random "!" events way below your skill set, making them a cakewalk. But that would add a nice balance and breather from everything else being a dangerous drawn out slog.

I am so impressed with this game. I searched in the internet if someone has the same complain as I.
I am playing in PC with gamepad and I think it is really annoing how the cursor snaps in every icon at the map. There is a ton of icons and sometimes
it gets very difficult to navigate from one side to another because of that.

Hello. :)

TL;DR: Yes, the quest / monster level system is bad, and I think it needs a complete overhaul, don't care how, just not like it is now.

First off, some background about my game experience: I reached Novigrad at level 13, playing on Death March. Currently started a fresh run, for reasons I'd rather not go into.

I had a ton of problems with the levels in my first playthrough. So, I just finished the prologue, and I went around to finish all the undiscovered stuff I had. One of them was in the middle of the lake. Went out for a swim to get my phat lewts !, was about lvl 3 or 4, and about 3-4 drowners level 10 facefucked me so hard underwater I think I might've developed hydrophobia.
What the hell. I had to kill them off one by one, while kiting them around and swimming away when they got too close, shooting for about 10% of their HP with my crossbow. THAT was a nightmare.

Then I reached Velen, hoping that stuff will be balanced around. Now the idea that progressing in main quests may screw up sidequests, I decided to do some exploration first, do some contracts. So I went for the nearest inn, and oh was I bummed out, first contract in Velen, level 33.

Anyhow, I somehow managed to survived other sidequests, levels far higher than me, including a 15 minute fight with a Wyvern level 14 when I was level 7. Then I got to level 13, and after clearing most of Velen, except the level 20+ stuff, I went for Novigrad. That's where my journey ended and I started fresh, partly because realizing that these quests will be faceroll at my level and gear.

Conclusion:

This was a really bad quest and monster design. I don't mind a challenge, in fact, I love it. I play all my games on the hardest difficulty. But running into quests / enemies / monsters that are 3 times my level is a bad design. I love the Skyrim difficulty system. Most, if not all, quests and monsters scale with your level. This is how an open world RPG game should be, in my opinion. You choose hard difficulty ? It will stay like that.
I expected hard fights all over at the start, and expect them to get harder the more tools [abilities], levels, and gear I aquire along the way. I'd rather not see what level monsters are, or what level quests are. I expect the difficulty to be hard / harder depending on gear and level, and without stuff being impossible / facerolled cause hey, I overleveled that by mistake.

Add an insane graphical preset for PC and keep stable (or improve without decrease quality if possible) the other presets could be nice

It's better to have stable or better on own setting. However increase quality without loose performance is what all we want for sure.

I agree to this!!! Granted I'm only level 10 and still have a few quests that are 18+ but I do have a few quests including the main quest that's only a level 6 and I find it to be a little too easy. By the time I complete all these side quests I'll probably be in the 18-20 area which will make the main quest really easy...

I've mentioned this in other posts myself. In a game which is open world you need it, one of the first quests I came across on entering Velen at level 4 was a level 33. In a linear game it's not needed but when getting sidetracked along route I ended up at level 16 and found a lot of Level 12 story quests which were far too easy, it ended up ruining my enjoyment so much that I've started over and decided to go straight for the next story quest instead of being side tracked.

if not all quests being scaled, at least allow for story ones to be. You can then play the game at your pace rather than being forced to miss exploring in order to get quests done before you become too powerful.

You gain experience quite easily, especially if your doing quest after quest, after quest.

Level 12 (Despite being unplayable half the time) and I've got quests ranging anywhere from level 7 - 33.

This wouldn't be an issue if the quests, and enemies associated to the quest were scaled accordingly to Geralt, and only quests. It makes no sense for Wolves and Wargs to be lvl 30, does it?

I'm a completionist, so I'll be wanting to complete absolutely everything in the game, but It's less challenging when you happen to be 5 - 10 levels higher then the suggested quest level, and just...

Make NO MISTAKE that I only support quests scaling to Geralt when he's over the suggested level! NOT under it! A lvl 33 quest should remain as such, and NEVER scale.

Main quest should scale up with the player. Although you don't level up that quickly from side quests, it's still important that the main quest maintain its difficulty.

The side quests should scale up by a percentage. Maybe 50% of the difference of the player's level and the quest. So if it's a level 10 quest and you're a level 20, then it becomes a level 15 quest (20-10 = 10 * 0.5 = 5 + 10 = 15). If it's a level 5 quest then level 13 (20-5 = 15 * 0.5 = 7.5 + 5 = 12.5 -> 13). If it's a level 17 quest then it becomes 19 (20-17 = 3 * 0.5 = 1.5 + 17 = 18.5 -> 19).

This would add a bit more difficulty to quests while easier quests should still be pretty easy, just not as easy.

When just free roaming, then there would be no upscaling.

I'm on xbox one and have had virtually no technical problems with the game. But some small visual issues did occur. During (and a little after) The Last Wish quest, there was a purple lava lamp-esque filter that did not go away so while Geralt and Yen had their moment, their faces were being stretched hilariously. This filter carried over into the gameplay afterwards but went away after I restarted the game.

The other visual issue was during cutscenes during the first feast with Yen in the Clan an Craite castle. During cutscenes whenever the camera was far away from Geralt, his arms from his shoulder down to wrists just vanished. He was Rayman for the duration of those cutscenes.

Other than those which honestly aren't big deals at all, AMAZING game CDPR. I really appreciate the work you guys put into the gameplay and the game world. You guys have done a fantastic job.

Hello! I happened to see many posts from people saying that due to completing many side-quests and hunting monsters they sometimes feel over-powered in some later parts of the game and actually find fights too easy even on the highest difficulty. Could you add a feature that would let you exchange experience points for or some stats for something unique? Like some Gwent card or trophy or equipment that you cannot obtain in any other way? That way users could level-down their power, have harder fights, new objectives and still obtain something nice. Cheers. You guys absolutely rock.

Please, please fix the dumb AI!!! (with video evidence)

This is what keeps happening when I play, the AI simply does not know how to react to being attached with a crossbow and just stands there doing nothing and I can win every fight this way. It has really ruined the game for me.

DEVS - can someone please comment if this is a bug and please fix this???

[video=youtube;A3Zk-2FUO8s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3Zk-2FUO8s[/video]

On a side note, I keep getting wierd graphics glitches in cutscenes (eg. Yennefer's hair popping up and down at the initial Vizima scene) - anyone else getting this issue?

Last edited:
Top Bottom