Exp bug makes game impossible to play --> cdprojekt please reply

+
I've had this exp problem snce i bought the game and installed the day one patch, i was level 17 when it first accured to me, way before the 1.03 (PS4) patch release
I do not get xp for any type of quests, im level 23, completed a level 28 contract and received no exp.

I don't get it. You have this problem since the beginning. But you got all the way to lvl 23 without getting any XP for anything since you started playing?

Same XP problem here with some main quests and secondary quests not XP rewarded... :(

I'm level 16 now and traveling around the map for ? quests and armors waiting for patch 1.04.
No idea about how much XP has been lost yet but I hope you will find a fix soon guys! WE COUNT ON YOU!! ^^

Could we at least get a statement if we`d get the XP back in retrospective or not? Because I`d really like to know if I can continue to play the game or just put it on freezing ice until the patchfix comes.

Could we at least get a statement if we`d get the XP back in retrospective or not? Because I`d really like to know if I can continue to play the game or just put it on freezing ice until the patchfix comes.

This is main thing I would like to know. I love Witcher 3 and would just love to play it.

Quests that are 6 levels (or more) lower than yours are not granting experience.

Sorry... but this is one of the most stupid design decsisions in the whole game. I expect more from an "open world game" where I can go "my on path". But with this rule CDP is forcing me to play the game/quests like they want it. You punish me for play the quests in an other order than CDP wants. I really hope that this gets re-balanced with an update in the future. To get some less EXP for low level quests, well... okay. But to get NO is a little kick in the arse.

A low level quest got the same expenditure for a level 30 as for a level 15, except the combat against enemys......... but thats why I allready get less EXP for killing them!

Last edited:
Well this explains everything. I was wondering why I wasn't leveling up, I hope the fix for this particular issue comes fast if not the game is gonna be unplsyable for too much time.

I don't get it. You have this problem since the beginning. But you got all the way to lvl 23 without getting any XP for anything since you started playing?

Well, if you read what i stated correctly, you will see that i said that i first truly noticed it at level 17, i was on the day one patch, so, its not patch latest patch related, could be day one patch related. There were a couple missions, cant precise what level i was when it happened but under level 10, and didnt pay much attention to it. When i got to level 17 thats when i realised, after completing a very rewarding contract that i had been given no exp for it, but still before the second patch ( 1.03) had been released. Ive been leveling up since level 17 from killing monsters, humans and that spawn killing glitch that happens when you kill those creatures under water that keep respawning over and over again.

I hope they release a hotfix at least for this issue since its affrcting most players and making the game unplayable.

I hope they release a hotfix at least for this issue since its affrcting most players and making the game unplayable.

What is a hotfix as opposed to a patch? And I agree its pretty much making it unplayable for me, it unbearable that I haven't been able to play since this came up

What is a hotfix as opposed to a patch? And I agree its pretty much making it unplayable for me, it unbearable that I haven't been able to play since this came up

The term hotfix is often used synonymously with patch and fix but usually only because it gives the impression of something happening quickly or proactively.
Originally, the term hotfix was used to describe a kind of patch that could be applied without stopping or restarting a service or system.
Microsoft usually uses the term hotfix to refer to a small update addressing a very specific, and often very serious, issue.

And on the weekend no less. I really hope a patch doesn't take a week or more for ps4. I love this game and I'm really hoping they patch it very soon.

A hotfix is something that normally can be applied without touching the executable game files and thus being able to deploy without going through the same process as bigger game patches. In different games many such hotfixes are just applied at the server side of the game without ever touching the main game files.

If this problem can be fixed with a hotfix as opposed to a big patch no one but CDPR can tell us.

I really hope that they can somewhat see how many XP that has been missed. But I doubt it. And if you can't get it back retroactive, they should just throw a couple of thousand XP with the patch. I probably would have been 2-4 levels higher than I am now

Here is my theory on the bug, which (at level 8) I don't believe I have experienced yet.

I think people start getting affected once they get high enough to have potentially several quests in their quest log that won't grant them experience.

Because, I'm guessing, the bug is an indexing issue.

Here is my theorized workflow for the code that handles completing quests. (Pseudocode)

FUNC OnQestComplete():
IF ShouldGrantExperience():
... Do Experience Granting Things ..
ENDIF
ENDFUNC

FUNC ShouldGrantExperience():
QuestList = GetQuestList()
QuestIndex = GetCompletedQuestIndex(); //Somewhere in here is the bug
PlayerLevel = GetPlayerLevel()
return QuestList[QuestIndex].GetQuestLevel() - PlayerLevel < 6 //If the player is 6 or more levels higher, don't give EXP
ENDFUNC

So in this code fragment theory, what happens is, when checking if you should get experience, it's now checking against a different quest than the one you actually made progress on. So, lets say it always checks quest slot 6 (not saying it does, just work with me). If your quest in that slot is not gray, you don't get hit by the bug. If it is, you do. That would explain how for some people were affected by the but but then stopped being affected at some point.

Would love it if the developers could let me know if I'm even remotely close to correct here.

Woah. I was wondering why leveling up took so much longer than I was used to.

Now I'm missing about 20 hours worth of EXP - main quests, exploration and a whole bunch of contracts and side quests, all for a negligible amount of experience. That's a bit of a bummer, eh? :yes

I really hope it is somehow possible to check what activities, or at least quests the player completed and calculate the Level from the ground up. If that's not possible - Oh, boy. There is no free DLC that could outweigh something like that.

Woah. I was wondering why leveling up took so much longer than I was used to.

Now I'm missing about 20 hours worth of EXP - main quests, exploration and a whole bunch of contracts and side quests, all for a negligible amount of experience. That's a bit of a bummer, eh? :yes

I really hope it is somehow possible to check what activities, or at least quests the player completed and calculate the Level from the ground up. If that's not possible - Oh, boy. There is no free DLC that could outweigh something like that.

Jesus, I'd be furious. I only spent a few hours in Novigrad after the patch hit and fortunately didn't do any main quests.

I also missed so many xp because it took a very long time to detect this Bug for me and i really really hope that we will get our xp back or that there will come another possibility to get the lost xp back...

Maybe someone of cdpr could answer this..

Guest 3825552

Loosing experience from quests that are at or near my level in my PC game. I really wish CDPJ would remove this whole feature all together and just let people get experience regardless. Is this a online MMO? don't think so, don't see why this is happening!!!

PS. I can't play until a fix for this comes out as I can no longer get EXP in my game at all :(

Here is my theory on the bug, which (at level 8) I don't believe I have experienced yet.

I think people start getting affected once they get high enough to have potentially several quests in their quest log that won't grant them experience.

Because, I'm guessing, the bug is an indexing issue.

Here is my theorized workflow for the code that handles completing quests. (Pseudocode)

FUNC OnQestComplete():
IF ShouldGrantExperience():
... Do Experience Granting Things ..
ENDIF
ENDFUNC

FUNC ShouldGrantExperience():
QuestList = GetQuestList()
QuestIndex = GetCompletedQuestIndex(); //Somewhere in here is the bug
PlayerLevel = GetPlayerLevel()
return QuestList[QuestIndex].GetQuestLevel() - PlayerLevel < 6 //If the player is 6 or more levels higher, don't give EXP
ENDFUNC

So in this code fragment theory, what happens is, when checking if you should get experience, it's now checking against a different quest than the one you actually made progress on. So, lets say it always checks quest slot 6 (not saying it does, just work with me). If your quest in that slot is not gray, you don't get hit by the bug. If it is, you do. That would explain how for some people were affected by the but but then stopped being affected at some point.

Would love it if the developers could let me know if I'm even remotely close to correct here.

I'm not sure it's this. To check it out, I looked at what gray quests I still had and completed those, then went and completed the quests I was previously not getting experience from, and I still didn't get experience after not having any gray quests at all in my log.

They need to answer this more than "we are working on a fix". We need some sort of timeframe, is all XP that we missed gone?

Top Bottom