Witcher 3 Graphics

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with both of you...here is my video about graphic comparison, you can see better what's going on with transitions from cut scene to gameplay...
i think that dynamic IBL shaders are the thing. I must say also something about dark shadows during cutscene...shadowed areas has very good gamut,
and this is very encouraging for post-processing. Thank you essenthy for your efforts.

Wow...

IMO, not that great. I can't keep a steady 30fps on medium settings at 1080p on my i5 + GTX760. Latest drivers, patches etc. It doesn't look good enough to excuse the performance

thats what i was thinking. My gtx 860m can keep it almost at 30fps ( with min at 24 when raining) @ 1080p high settings. Funny thing is AC unity looked better and performend in simialr terms ( although it is a semi open world and a lot of things were baked)

Is it just me or did 1.05 make everything more darker?

The textures are the least of the game's graphical problems.

The draw distance LoD got cut in half and dipped in bleach in comparison to last year's gameplay demos, the lighting is okay but it looks downright awful at times, like a last gen game, especially indoors where it looks like it doesn't even exist, the art style change, making it more colorful and saturated, doesn't fit with the game's themes and universe anymore.

Look at the SoD trailer, look for the part with Dandelion, and the part with Triss. Their character models, textures and the lighting etc don't look that good in-game at the same scenes. I'm not even gonna mention the burning village with the Wild Hunt or the fire and water effects. Not to mention the lack of blood compared to the demos.

And we're not comparing them solely to trailers anymore, but the GAMEPLAY DEMOS from last year even, where we saw how it looked and played, at E3 and in the 35 minute demo.

It doesn't matter if people couldn't handle it now, they'd lower the settings and handle it in a few years when more powerful hardware comes out.

The game simply doesn't look anywhere near as good as it did in 2013, nor 2014. Except maybe the character models, but even that's up for debate. Someone needs to make a high quality 1:1 comparison of the game with the SoD trailer, E3 demo and the 35 minute gameplay demo, to put an end to all this.

---------- Updated at 06:16 AM ----------

IMO, not that great. I can't keep a steady 30fps on medium settings at 1080p on my i5 + GTX760. Latest drivers, patches etc. It doesn't look good enough to excuse the performance.
´performance is fine, you are simply below the recommended requirements which are meant for medium and high settings

´performance is fine, you are simply below the recommended requirements which are meant for medium and high settings

you really are innocent mate.Recommended req esp from nvidia and intel are a joke nowadays

my 860m ( eq to 750ti ) can do high settings ( med shadows /hbao+) with 28 - 30 (mostly 30) with min fps of 24 ( solved by an OC of 150mhz core and 400mhz mem which gives a min of 27)

on a side note: I can only manage a subtle difference between ssao and hbao+ in witcher 3 unlike in other games ( like AC unity where the difference is noticeable)

Last edited:
So if a game looked like Final Fantasy 7 and you'd only be able to run it with SLI Titan Xs and an i7 at 30fps, it'd be fine since the system requirements would state that.

I'm saying it doesn't perform that well considering how it looks, in my opinion. But everyone's getting different performances with similar rigs. AMD users with similar rigs to mine are getting way better performance than me.

Last edited:
Boris Vorontsov made a small announcement:

*will not modify Witcher 3, because found out game shaders are hardly editable, like UE ones where you must find all possible shaders combinations only experimenting with all graphic options possible, weathers, locations, etc. No thanks.

PS: and stop commenting this, the situation is clear.

on a side note: I can only manage a subtle difference between ssao and hbao+ in witcher 3 unlike in other games ( like AC unity where the difference is noticeable)
I think HBAO+ mostly gets rid of the black aura around Geralt that SSAO makes. It's worth it if you can afford to lose a couple of frames I think

I think HBAO+ mostly gets rid of the black aura around Geralt that SSAO makes. It's worth it if you can afford to lose a couple of frames I think
yeah , and in some cases the grases look better on SSAO

Still very subtle difference for a 3-4 FPS drop

@essenthy THX for upcoming Cutscene mod. But I have a question to you.

Is it possible to enable thunder flash illuminating. I mean similar to what we saw in SOD trailer when Geralt was on sheep during night thunderstorm. We can see barely thunder flash illumination. Here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KczsbBpX1so#t=1m15s

New thunder is so weird.

And another question, how do you think? Is cutscene lighting similar to SOD trailer lighting? For me it is not. But you played it many time. What is your opinion? I did not buy this game yet and waiting for that graphics quality. When I compare for example beautiful pink sunlight color during horse gallop in SOD trailer it seems me that was totally different rendering too. I mean it seems they changed rendering not 1 time but 2. 1st after VGX and 2nd after SOD trailer.

HBAO handling in-game is really weird, most of the time you don't see it at all. Also to that other game the game is very unoptimized considering what's going on. For new cards it's okay but older ones, no matter the power(780 as an example) don't run the game as well as they should. Other more demanding games run better.

So if a game looked like Final Fantasy 7 and you'd only be able to run it with SLI Titan Xs and an i7 at 30fps, it'd be fine since the system requirements would state that.

I'm saying it doesn't perform that well considering how it looks, in my opinion. But everyone's getting different performances with similar rigs. AMD users with similar rigs to mine are getting way better performance than me.
This is a pretty far far far far off comparison
And i have no performance issues what so ever with this.

---------- Updated at 09:50 AM ----------

you really are innocent mate.Recommended req esp from nvidia and intel are a joke nowadays

my 860m ( eq to 750ti ) can do high settings ( med shadows /hbao+) with 28 - 30 (mostly 30) with min fps of 24 ( solved by an OC of 150mhz core and 400mhz mem which gives a min of 27)

anything below 30 is not playable. Heck, even a intel hd 4000 can run crysis 3 maxed, however dont expect playable framerates XD

Afaik there were reasons for this, you cant play a game for long time with such crazy sharpening, your head would blow.
What an absolute idiot, honestly, do you even think before typing?

Do you even know what LOD/draw distance are?

It's the Level of Detail for objects and their rendering distance.

It ain't about vanity..

I was planning on upgrading my PC specifically for this game.. So i could enjoy it and immerse myself in it to the fullest.

I am still gonna play it and purchase it, but once it reaches the 2013 trailer graphics level :)

You just contradicted yourself :p

What an absolute idiot, honestly, do you even think before typing?
Thank you, but you all talk about last years stuff, sorry but in game development you make adjustments on the lods in the end of the process.

I just say what you saw in 2013 was just overdozed sharpening = unplayable in many ways.

Last edited:
Thank you, but you all talk about last years stuff, sorry but in game development you make adjustments on the lods in the end of the process.

I just say what you saw in 2013 was just overdozed sharpening = unplayable in many ways.

Congratulation for controlling your nerve

This is a pretty far far far far off comparison
And i have no performance issues what so ever with this.

---------- Updated at 09:50 AM ----------

anything below 30 is not playable. Heck, even a intel hd 4000 can run crysis 3 maxed, however dont expect playable framerates XD

27 is not that bad esp as a min framerate (storm+marsh).......( actually i cannot enjoy 30 itself, prefer 60 but prefer visuals more)

my actual point was the exaggerated system req
look at w3 cpu req an 3rd gen i7? haha! doesnot even cross 36% of my i7 4700hq

ac unity? 680 min? i got a 30 at high settings(not minding the stutters and framedrops)

last but not least 6gb vram for shadow of mordor? heh heh

the most accurate one in recent times was from gta v . gtx 660 for max at 1080p

is it just me or does afternoons look the worst?

mornings and sunsets are beautiful while nights are ok ish( is the sun rising and setting dynamic?)

I agree with both of you...here is my video about graphic comparison, you can see better what's going on with transitions from cut scene to gameplay...i think that dynamic IBL shaders are the thing. I must say also something about dark shadows during cutscene...shadowed areas has very good gamut, and this is very encouraging for post-processing. Thank you essenthy for your efforts.

Great work. Thanks for putting the effort into that. Love the end of the video too xD
So this cutscene lighting - from what I've seen, it should also have a big effect indoors ? Right now even indoors, everything is lit by outside lightmap, hence the absence of any proper lighting. In cutscenes though, this is not the case correct ? I've seen conversations/cutscenes in which interior was lit perfectly, based on primary light sources within the interior itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom