"Living Breathing Ecosystem"

+
"Living Breathing Ecosystem"

I am a HUGE fan of this game. And since CDP is so receptive to their fans I thought this would be the perfect thing to bring to their attention.

Because for the most part these issues can be solved with a few AI tweaks and spawning efficiencies in the world. Nothing more.

Things like more advanced encounters are things modders can take care of easily, there are plenty of skyrim mods like that.

SO....here we go:

This article points out the fatal flaws in Skyrim’s open world (in addition to other mechanics)

http://mygodwhathassciencedone.blogspot.com/2013/02/great-games-that-actually-suck-elder.html

The gist of it is that the game world is not actually open ended. Wild animals spawn for the purpose of attacking you. Most little encounters are just time wasters between point A and B. The world doesn’t feel dynamic.

This..unfortunately..is basically the Witcher’s “dynamic” world.

what happened to: rotting corpses will attract monsters and killing all the wolves in the arena will increase population of deers etc, if blacksmiths wife is killed he will move to other village and what not.

^Havent seen anything even remotely close to that. All the people in the villages are hardest in their roles for eternity. How can a wife be killed if no enemies attack the settlements?

Nekkers spawn in large groups in ONE spot. A bear has a specific spawn point. Drowners spawn in specific locations.

There is a point where enemy spawn locations become less about “they are there because that is the type of region they live in” and more about “the programmer make them spawn in the SAME SPOT every time"

Civillians have no “day and night cycle”. Certain spots in the game map are populated with specific NPCs who say the same thing over and over again. The children playing “burn the witch” in Novigrad continue playing it for eternity in the same spot. The guards guarding the entrance to The bloody Baron’s fort constantly talk about how they encountered a witcher one time or something. I mean sure, at night all the kids in the city just..walk away and then despawn, but they hardly have any sort of actual routine.

The world becomes bland once you get through the “hand crafted ‘random encounters’ that dot the land. Every time you complete a mission, it makes you feel like you made the world more empty. Because you did.

Monsters, who “populate the world naturally” are 99 percent of the time confined to “guarded treasures” and monster dens, and as I said before..incredibly specific spawn points. A bear always spawns near a certain tree. Nekkers always spawn near this specific ruined cart.

The game, unfortunately, aims to be so big that you only need to visit every part once. Because if you revisit any parts, you are doomed to witness the same enemy spawning, the same conversation occurring, a spot once occupied by a “random bandit camp encounter” disappointingly empty and meaningless.

So what is the solution?

Could it be as simple as tweaking the NPC spawning in the open world? Make griffin and wyvern and cyclops encounters more common and wolf packs and deer families more common? Program more instances of predators chasing down deer. This could give the illusion that the world is just as dangerous around “guarded treasures” as it is in the general open world. Granted, there have been a few times where I came across a random group of bandits by a fire, or a random wvyern. But only VERY. VERY. VERY rarely. Like once a play through of 2 hours consisting of just roaming the world.

Or could a solution be programming more RDR style encounters on the game that TRULY spawn randomly in the environment, like a duel between two noblemen, a woman being chased by dogs, a horse thief, a man robbing a traveler, or just coming across the remains of a battle that dynamically spawns in the world.

I think both. The problem is that, while the first one is easy enough to do with mods, the second one is much more difficult, and would likely require devs’ help.

The witcher 3 seems to be caught between being be a narrative set in a big map, and trying to be an actual systemic open world.

I am not saying that the style of the witcher world is “bad”.

It is just not dynamic, nor does it have much replay ability.

Trailers said that monsters don't just "spawn artificially; they react with each other and NPCs...the world is populated with animals monsters and humans interacting with each other, and you are merely a spectator"

Well I have yet to see a cyclops fighting some harpies that are RIGHT NEXT TO HIM, or even some endregas (I have once fought some endregas, came across a guarded treasure with a cyclops, and there were harpies floating right there THEY ALL GANGED UP ON ME AND DIDNT NOTICE EACH OTHER)

And as for "artificial spawning"..well..like I said, 99 percent of all the encounters are predesigned spawn locations that either never occur again because they are limited bandit camps or something, or only ever occur in the same spot with the same enemies over and over again.

I have yet to see a griffin attack an NPC settlement.

I have yet to see a non scripted more than 1 time only instance of humans "interacting with each other, trying to survive"

I’ve been told that “this game isn’t supposed to be like skyrim”

but then I hear and see in trailers and demos how the world is..well..described like skyrim, with a “living breathing ecosystem”.

I dont wanna sound like one of those people who try to say this game sucks because it isn't like skyrim. In fact it is one of the best games I have ever played. But I am confused between what the devs said and what is actually playing in my PC.

Okay, the kids playing thing I can understand. There is only so much dialogue I suppose. Would still be nice if maybe that event happened in different parts of the city.

But the animal thing is not as "complex" as you think it is.

@jjavier
"What happens when they wander inside a village, get in the area of guarded treasure or coincide in time and place with the player in the middle of a scripted quest?"

That is exactly what a dynamic world addresses. NPCs should ward off the animals or fight them. If they are near a guarded treasure, that would give the player a second thought of trying to take them and the guardian on.

And I am not talking about scripted quests, in which devs always simply essentially "shut off" certain parts to avoid getting in the way. Thats why there are no "dynamic encounters" during missions in RDR for example. I am talking about the open world.

Also, obviously I am not trying to be the one who is all "oh it has to be so realistic with geralt having hunger and plants growing and animals reproducing based on Darwinian principles"

I am simply asking for the complex and organic AI interaction system they promised. It isn't super impossible. RDR did it. You see coyotes chasing down and killing things all the time. You see hunters roaming the land shooting down birds and fending off predators.

In witcher 3, the only hunter I've seen is safely in the confines of a village looking at...the side of a cliff.

"The problem with that is the complexity grows exponentially because of interactions between the elements of the simulation."

Not really. I am not asking for "world simulator". But for the next gen complex ecosystem they promised. This is next generation, isn't it? It has been done before.

"To fully simulate children playing, the developer would need to script the same children NPC playing in different groups, different games and with different partners. Each NPC should some times win the game, some time lose, from time to time fight, leave in rage, suffer accidents, get sick and the list keep going to the infinite."

...really? Obviously that is not what I mean. I was talking how instead of maybe that conversation occurring organically in different parts of the city, it only spawns in the same spot outside that one tavern.
(bolded cuz a few of you guys mentioned my comment about the kids)

"I think limiting "enemies" to areas and periodical respaws is a reasonable option for a quite complex problem."

And that is my point. I am not condemning them for having this sort of gameplay..I don't like it when they..echem..say one thing and give another. Because that^ is not a living breathing ecosystem. They said "they aren't spawned artificially" and look at that..they are spawned forever and beyond in a single location.

You all have arguments that this sort of programming is hard. But this is next gen, and this game promised to deliver this sort of living breathing ecosystem. This game is supposed to be a breath of fresh air, a step in a new direction, a new height for open world games, remember? So you can imagine my confusion when the game fails to do the things many last generation open world games have been able to achieve.

Last edited:
As much as we want a game to be as realistic as possible, it is impossible to create a true living breathing ecosystem, even if it's possible, that would need more development time and resources. For example the kids playing burn the witch, if we want different line or activity, they would need to do it to other kids with their activities as well, with more activity they all multiplies. If they have like 10 kids and keep playing the same thing, they have to create 10 lines/activities, 2 activities=2x10 , 3 activities 3x10.

If we want guard/random npc say more varied lines like 1/2 less repetitive then they have to make twice the total existing random lines, 1/4 less repetitive, they have to make 4x the total existing random lines, and so on.

I'm not well appraised of the publicity for Witcher 3 touting an ecosystem, but if its true as you describe I'd say that while many games say they have that goal while in development few if any actually manage to pull it off, as its ridiculously hard to do.

I remember back when Bioshock was announced as a project, and the goal was to have an entirely dynamic ecosystem inside a fallow research lab. Also look what happened to STALKER which had the development goal of a dynamic ecosystem.

So be suspicious whenever you hear a developer talking about it, - you can bet good odds that when the game is released the dynamic ecosystem will likely be as complex as 'wolves chase deer/rabbits when they see them'

I understand where the OP is coming from. Red Dead is hypnotic in the way it spawns random encounters and any open world game can benefit from that. But then again, it becomes the same predictable encounters being spawned and we're kinda back at square one..

I didn't notice difference in behavior/or difficulty during different weather or time of day which also was advertised.

I sincerely believe we will be able to have a more living breathing ecosystem when RedKit finally made available for TW3. I trust the talented modders that they will live up to players expectations :)

I don't mind if the game then be bloated like 200gb in size if it can achieve a true living breathing ecosystem ;D

Civillians have no “day and night cycle”.
Most civilians has day night cycle. The ones who doesn't, like bar tenders or "quest givers", I think they are perpetually awake for convenience.

The children playing “burn the witch” in Novigrad continue playing it for eternity in the same spot
I did see children playing in different places within the same area. Its a small area (around 30 feet), but it isn't exactly the same spot.

A “living breathing ecosystem” is fussy definition. The same world has disappoint you has amazed other people. Some of them are seasoned RPG players. When you develop a simulation, you can always go a little further. The problem with that is the complexity grows exponentially because of interactions between the elements of the simulation.

To fully simulate children playing, the developer would need to script the same children NPC playing in different groups, different games and with different partners. Each NPC should some times win the game, some time lose, from time to time fight, leave in rage, suffer accidents, get sick and the list keep going to the infinite.
The same is valid for the simulation of any human behavior.

You could simulate pack of wolves (or other creatures) wandering across the map instead of patrol the same area. But then you will need to solve other issues. What will happen when they wander inside a village, get in the area of guarded treasure or coincide in time and place with the player in the middle of a scripted quest. Basically, you need to choose the behavior for wandering individuals/groups when they encounter others kinds of individuals/groups.

And with out wandering, what are the options? leave the world empty? to simulate reproduction cycles for the different species?

What about plants? Why do not ask plant growing in other spot after is harvested?

Every extra you add to the simulation, means extra designer, developer and tester hours. In some cases also means extra processing power for the pc/console. Have you notice how much processing power takes to have moving foliage?

These are complex issues to resolve.
I think limiting "enemies" to areas and periodical respaws is a reasonable option for a quite complex problem.

P.S.: I'm quite happy with the world CDProjekt has deliver us.

Okay, the kids playing thing I can understand. There is only so much dialogue I suppose. Would still be nice if maybe that event happened in different parts of the city.

But the animal thing is not as "complex" as you think it is.

@jjavier
"What happens when they wander inside a village, get in the area of guarded treasure or coincide in time and place with the player in the middle of a scripted quest?"

That is exactly what a dynamic world addresses. NPCs should ward off the animals or fight them. If they are near a guarded treasure, that would give the player a second thought of trying to take them and the guardian on.

And I am not talking about scripted quests, in which devs always simply essentially "shut off" certain parts to avoid getting in the way. Thats why there are no "dynamic encounters" during missions in RDR for example. I am talking about the open world.

Also, obviously I am not trying to be the one who is all "oh it has to be so realistic with geralt having hunger and plants growing and animals reproducing based on Darwinian principles"

I am simply asking for the complex and organic AI interaction system they promised. It isn't super impossible. RDR did it. You see coyotes chasing down and killing things all the time. You see hunters roaming the land shooting down birds and fending off predators.

In witcher 3, the only hunter I've seen is safely in the confines of a village looking at...the side of a cliff.

"The problem with that is the complexity grows exponentially because of interactions between the elements of the simulation."

Not really. I am not asking for "world simulator". But for the next gen complex ecosystem they promised. This is next generation, isn't it? It has been done before.

"To fully simulate children playing, the developer would need to script the same children NPC playing in different groups, different games and with different partners. Each NPC should some times win the game, some time lose, from time to time fight, leave in rage, suffer accidents, get sick and the list keep going to the infinite."

...really? Obviously that is not what I mean. I was talking how instead of maybe that conversation occurring organically in different parts of the city, it only spawns in the same spot outside that one tavern.
(bolded cuz a few of you guys mentioned my comment about the kids)

"I think limiting "enemies" to areas and periodical respaws is a reasonable option for a quite complex problem."

And that is my point. I am not condemning them for having this sort of gameplay..I don't like it when they..echem..say one thing and give another. Because that^ is not a living breathing ecosystem. They said "they aren't spawned artificially" and look at that..they are spawned forever and beyond in a single location.

Last edited:
The only way to move a well crafted simulation that represents a living ecosystem to unbound gameplay that actually is a breathing ecosystem would be to provide a means for everything that walks, flies or crawls on the face of the world to do what they want.

How do you code for that? The answer would be to let the code write itself.

If you have a Griffon flying on an isle in Skellige that was coded to fly in a random direction for a random # of minutes in search of food, would the code need to reflect a better chance the Griffon will return to good hunting grounds if it is liberally able to find food? What if that food happens to be the village sheep or the villagers themselves? Would the villagers put up a Witcher notice? What if Geralt didn't return right away? Who'd be left to pay?

That scenario is full of meaningless questions because the game itself isn't running all of the game landscapes underneath while we navigate Geralt through Hierarch Square in Novigrad. The game loads and unloads landscape as we traverse it, so a breathing biome might be possible since it seems to breathe because we're near enough to see it, but a living ecosystem is a broken concept when parts of the game don't exist in the currently running code.

How do you code for that? The answer would be to let the game play itself in the code it wrote for itself.

Last edited:
I am wondering about this too, devs often said that rotting corpses will attract monsters and killing all the wolves in the arena will increase population of deers etc, if blacksmiths wife is killed he will move to other village and what not.
But I haven't noticed anything like that. Also "big monsters" like noonwraith, basilisk, is always respawning in the same spot, there are some bandit groups who always respawn no matter how many times you kill them.

It's not really big deal, but it makes me wonder again, why it was advertised if that's not in the game ?

As for NPC chatter I don't really mind, there is enough variety and some of them change their dialogue as you progress the main story.

I'm crossing my fingers that this kind of thing will be addressed by modders eventually when the mod kit drops.

A living breathing dynamic world would be awesome, but I don't know a game that's ever created such a thing, so I won't hold too much hope.

Also, I just wanna say that I am not making this thread simply to attack the game and leave.

I am a HUGE fan of this game. And since CDP is so receptive to their fans I thought this would be the perfect thing to bring to their attention.

Because for the most part these issues can be solved with a few AI tweaks and spawning efficiencies in the world. Nothing more.

Things like more advanced encounters are things modders can take care of easily, there are plenty of skyrim mods like that.

---------- Updated at 04:36 AM ----------

The only way to move a well crafted simulation that represents a living ecosystem to unbound gameplay that actually is a breathing ecosystem would be to provide a means for everything that walks, flies or crawls on the face of the world to do what they want.

How do you code for that?

Coding and programming different animals to react differently to different situations is hardly new, hardly next gen technique, and has been done before.

---------- Updated at 04:37 AM ----------

I am wondering about this too, devs often said that rotting corpses will attract monsters and killing all the wolves in the arena will increase population of deers etc, if blacksmiths wife is killed he will move to other village and what not.
But I haven't noticed anything like that. Also "big monsters" like noonwraith, basilisk, is always respawning in the same spot, there are some bandit groups who always respawn no matter how many times you kill them.

It's not really big deal, but it makes me wonder again, why it was advertised if that's not in the game ?

As for NPC chatter I don't really mind, there is enough variety and some of them change their dialogue as you progress the main story.

Putting part of that in the OP for convenience if you don't mind. That is some important stuff you mentioned.

---------- Updated at 04:52 AM ----------

As much as we want a game to be as realistic as possible, it is impossible to create a true living breathing ecosystem, even if it's possible, that would need more development time and resources.

How long then? Because this game was delayed like 3 times. It's had over 5 YEARS of development. Can't help thinking you would all say the same thing if this game was in development for 10 years. You'd think this is the sort of thing they would be working on. Instead, they give us tons of ideas of how "oh you'll come across bandits celebrating a robbery besides a burning house" "Oh if a certain wolf hunter dies the amount of dear will rise" "Oh monsters are attracted to rotting corpses" in early previews but frankly it seems like every delay was a marker of "we need more time to cut and then polish what we have left"

Every single delay made me think "You know what? It's okay. Because ever extra week of devtime they have means a bit more brilliance here, some better code there, some balancing here"

They released a basically bug free product that runs super well. But...what happened to the ecosystem they advertised? Damn, above all else I never thought the gameplay would ever be compromised by time.

Damn. I am working myself up. Hell this game is great. I even stuck by through all the graphics nonsense. Because I thought the gameplay would be something revolutionary. I don't know if I was right to think that now.

Last edited:
The amount of crap i got from fanboys a few weeks ago for suggesting that witcher 3 should have been like skyrim.. :)

Well the only thing i have to add is i've seen it just once.. The quest with the harpies near the swamp.. the first time around i walked there and found the boss creature eating a horse on the path, killed it there, and it wasn't with the harpies. I did that sidequest a second time to show a friend, and this time the harpies had the boss mob with them.

So i've seen that randomness once.

Perhaps its there, and just all the instances of the static npcs and voices are covering up the instances where it does happen. There is a high volume of static experiences though... especially when the old man is telling the little girl the same story with same ending over and over.. every time you walk past..

Yeah the verbal usage of cdpr regarding w3 is a little shameful. No expectations == no disappointment. Marketing people dont seem to care. Lies. Boast. Lies. Maybe there's a demographic of people who need these lies to sell the game, and wont notice when these features aren't actually in the game. I'll give a pony to guess who these people may be.

Last edited:
The amount of crap i got from fanboys a few weeks ago for suggesting that witcher 3 should have been like skyrim.. :)

Well the only thing i have to add is i've seen it just once.. The quest with the harpies near the swamp.. the first time around i walked there and found the boss creature eating a horse on the path, killed it there, and it wasn't with the harpies. I did that sidequest a second time to show a friend, and this time the harpies had the boss mob with them.

So i've seen that randomness once.

Perhaps its there, and just all the instances of the static npcs and voices are covering up the instances where it does happen. There is a high volume of static experiences though... especially when the old man is telling the little girl the same story with same ending over and over.. every time you walk past..

Yeah the verbal usage of cdpr regarding w3 is a little shameful. No expectations == no disappointment. Marketing people dont seem to care. Lies. Boast. Lies. Maybe there's a demographic of people who need these lies to sell the game, and wont notice when these features aren't actually in the game. I'll give a pony to guess who these people may be.

Imma stop you right there

I do NOT want the game to be like skyrim.

Mainly because even skyrim fails at being skyrim.

If anything I would want the game to be more like RDR, which sublimely choreographs and blends the open world animals, people, and enemies together in a technical masterpiece of conflicting AI and events.

But yes

PERHAPS IT IS THERE

And in that case ALL DCP NEEDS TO DO

Is patch it

and balance it

and tweak it just a little bit

I think it's safe to say that a lot of the initial promises didn't make it to the final cut, that's kinda obvious... sadly, of course

we can always hope for the EE to be a thing, not counting on it soon though

As much as I'm probably going to be slaughtered for that by CDPR fanboyz, Skyrim feels MUCH more alive/random. Factions battles happen everywhere, as it should. Never in TW3. Feels very bland, and crafted around the player. I guess Bethesda open world experience is invaluable; it's clear that years of experience higly surpass the one-shot by CDPR.

I think it's safe to say that a lot of the initial promises didn't make it to the final cut, that's kinda obvious... sadly, of course
we can always hope for the EE to be a thing, not counting on it soon though

I have seen several packs of wolves killing deer and horses, well until I stopped them. I found a bunch of rabbit corpses in an area, which I think were killed by nekkers, although I did not witness it like the wolves, but the nekkers were in the same area roaming around. One of the issues with a dynamic world is that things happen sometimes when you are not there to see them. How many of these things need to happen before the "promise" is not broken?

Another issue is the game is so big I rarely get back to an area a few days or weeks later to see any impact I may have had by killing things.

I thought CDRed said no enhanced edition this time, only continuous patches on the core game? They change this plan?

The open world was horrible, not once I felt immersed (based on the living creatures). NPC's are basically programed drones that say and do the same thing over and over again...

Top Bottom