"Good Ending" actually bad? Weigh in on your W3 ending(s) [spoilers]

+

• Total voters

I intentionally went for a "Good Ending" or what I was thinking would be a "good" ending given the sheer amount of time invested I view it like a long novel akin to "Choose Your Own Adventure" (if people reading this are even old enough to even remember that reference) for you want the best for each character so it wraps up perfectly to your own views or philosophies.

So I went out of my way to make sure all the +1 choices went to Ciri so she'd become a good and fair ruler and bring "peace" to the land while using everything taught to her vs. giving up altogether a "loser", or having a scar riddled body and dying in a fight after a long life as a lonely Witcher whoring around with abusive dick heads. I saved Letho, had him at Kaer Morhen. Brought everyone else to Kaer Morhen except Djykstra so Keira was there there to save Lambert (who I thought was into guys up until that point as they seemed to allude to it with his "friend" he was avenging and seemingly hidden jokes between Geralt and him) and they apparently fell for each other. Also saved Nolan 1st then Vigi, so they were present before and during the battle, at one point I ran over and killed the Wild Hunt guys swarming them. And Zoltan, Emirion, etc. were there. Everyone was there that should be.

My biggest gripe is there was this huge build-up of all his friends culminating in one place to repay a huge favor or two, and immediately after the battle during the impromptu funeral, Nolan and Vigi were missing with no mention what happened to them. You obviously see Zoltan, Emirion, and Hjalmar later, but Keira and Lambert disappear altogether in a rather abrupt "later" response. Letho despite being told to stay at Kaer Morhen disappears too. And Eskel is gone?

Fast-forward to after the final fight we at least learn what happens to Hjalmar's dad during the battle, but again where the hell did everyone go? What happened to everyone? They show us what happens ultimately to Ciri, and what happens to Geralt (I chose Triss but don't get me started on her lack of dialogue and very cold response when she returns later in the game and how everything centers around Yennefer from random NPC to fellow Witchers to Cerys) in a brief comicbook-esque rendering of them apparently in the middle of foreplay and know Triss ended up an adviser and Geralt settled down, but what happened to Yennefer, Zoltan, Eskel, Letho, Keira and Lambert, Dandelion and Priscilla (other than inferring Dandelion wrote a book as his older-self narrated most of the story I don't remember seeing anything else), Phillipa (did she regrow eyes or just use magic ones? And if she can polymorph into an owl with eyes, why can't she polymorph into a copy of herself with eyes? or at very least another human?), Rita, Dudu, etc. etc. How about letting us know what happened to everyone else? And how about the plot hole of the missing Crone that escaped? Where the fuck did she go and why didn't Geralt and/or Ciri go after her? Why was there no mention of this in the ending? And what happened to the Baron and his wife ultimately? (mine went off to find a cure) Whatever happened to the Baron's daughter? Where'd Avallac'h go? WHAT HAPPENED TO EVERYONE ELSE?

SO MANY unanswered questions after 170+ hours of doing everything in-game (except all the Skellige water " ? " that give you stupid items like linen, Steel sword, 5 crowns; seriously, stop putting JUNK filler in games, that should have died with the 1st Assassin's Creed where you had to 500 flags or the equally tedious GTA games finding balloons and the like. Would rather forgo ALL the JUNK filler to have 4-5 more LONG quests with engaging NPC instead) I was very disappointed in the ending. If I didn't know from reading online my ending was a "good" ending, I'd have thought it a was a bad ending. Why was Ciri acting like she'd never see Geralt or Triss again? She's a queen now, right? Why didn't Ciri hire Triss as an adviser instead? Maybe she could have hired Yennefer?

I feel like they were making the game, and were getting close to wrapping it up but some stupid imaginary deadline appeared and they were like "Let's wrap this up, it appears good enough and no one will noticed they were short changed a decent ending as we need to ship 4 million units by June (that's roughly $220,000,000- makes you angry they haven't polished it yet with that kind of income, doesn't it?).

Anyone else angry with the plot holes and bare minimum ending?

Last edited:
The essential problem is everyone keeps trying to treat the post-Game content as an epilogue when the epilogue is actually the slides. The post-game entirely exists for the purposes of doing quests which you didn't get to do during the main game and takes place BEFORE the Epilogue. Hence, there's no one because everyone is doing whatever they were doing before the final battle.

It's basically the same situation in Assassin's Creed: Unity, Far Cry 3 and 4, and so many other games where you do missions you didn't do the first time around.

But you are 100% right about everything else.

I read all the Witcher books five times (with the exception of the last one which I read only once) so I never intended to bring Ciri to the emperor in my first playthrough (but I probably will in the second, just to get another ending, not because I want to do that) and the only ending, which I would call "good" is the Witcher ending that I got, and I was very satisfied with it.

And how about the plot hole of the missing Crone that escaped?

It is NOT a plot hole.

Where the fuck did she go and why didn't Geralt and/or Ciri go after her?

Well,
he did, in another ending.

Last edited:
It's not a plothole if she's a villain or boss in Witcher 4.

:)

Of course, we have people who say that will be in like ten years.

:cheers:

hours of doing everything in-game (except all the Skellige water " ? "
Agree with this. I started a second playthrough thinking, I'm going to clear the ?s. Velen was fun as hell, stopped Skellige because of diving in for chests / fighting drowners / sirens got monotonous. The land ? aren't bad though. At least I run into interesting monsters, like a super high level griffin that kicked my ass.
And how about the plot hole of the missing Crone that escaped? Where the fuck did she go and why didn't Geralt and/or Ciri go after her?
Not a plot hole. In fact this is dealt with in one of the endings. It's simply not important enough to mention in the other two. She probably got her comeuppance anyway.
And what happened to the Baron and his wife ultimately? (mine went off to find a cure) Whatever happened to the Baron's daughter? Where'd Avallac'h go?
The first three minor characters. Incredibly interesting minor characters, best written minor characters in a game I've played, but considering Dandelion is writing the story, I doubt he decided to follow up on a nobody vassal of Emhyr and his family. As for Avallac'h he went back to Tir Na Lia presumably.

For me personally I don't need to know what happened to every other character and their mother. I don't need everything fed/told to me directly and prefer to speculate. I do have issues with how Triss was handled, and also issues revolving around Eredin, the Hunt and the White Frost. There are things that could be improved, but I'm not mad about the ending at all, nor do I feel like my time was wasted. One of the best, if not the best RPGs I have ever played, and I'm playing it for a second time again.
If I didn't know from reading online my ending was a "good" ending, I'd have thought it a was a bad ending. Why was Ciri acting like she'd never see Geralt or Triss again? She's a queen now, right? Why didn't Ciri hire Triss as an adviser instead? Maybe should could have hire Yennefer?
Ciri is not acting like she is never going to see them again, just bittersweet because she wont see them for a while because her duties as Empress, Geralt's own aversion to politics, will take up a lot of time. Triss fought the Nilfgaardians at Soden, and got pretty messed up. It's not hinted at in the games, but I doubt she would want to work for them, even with Ciri as Empress. Yen does join the court I believe, but I could be totally mistaken.

The essential problem is everyone keeps trying to treat the post-Game content as an epilogue when the epilogue is actually the slides.
Yup. As soon as the game loaded me back in Kaer Morhen I quit. When I got back on later to play I started a new game. No point in playing around after the main story is completed.

As soon as the game loaded me back in Kaer Morhen I quit.
Me too. It's pointless to continue.
I've just started my second playthrough of Witcher 2 before returning to W3.

It's not a plothole if she's a villain or boss in Witcher 4.

But it's not like devs just didn't give a shit about remaining crone, there is a conclusion for her. Not in the empress ending though.

I could say that Dijkstra doesnt have conclusion - I missed it because of the choices I've made. But he has. It's the same thing. Some choices leads to resolving some plotlines, others don't.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was very disappointing with the ending... I remember reaching it and preparing my smoke and drinks since I thought, ok here comes closure (I guess previous fallout games and the like spoiled me in this regard)

I was expecting something on the lines of Zoltan became a professional Gwent player, Dandelion and Priscilla got married and lived in Kovir in Geralt and Triss' guesthouse (wasn't the blonde from there anyway), Eskel did whatever, Keira and Lambert went to Skilligue, Yen got Phillipa fired and is now the advisor to Ciri, Roche adoped Anais and is the new regent of Temeria, the Baron stayed to live with the hermit and started a doll factory (his new model Triss v2 sold very well), Cerys went Targaryen and married his brother, etc.

Really, the big thing about this game is that it has such good writing you CARE about relatively minor characters like the Baron and his daughter.

The essential problem is everyone keeps trying to treat the post-Game content as an epilogue when the epilogue is actually the slides. The post-game entirely exists for the purposes of doing quests which you didn't get to do during the main game and takes place BEFORE the Epilogue. Hence, there's no one because everyone is doing whatever they were doing before the final battle.

It's basically the same situation in Assassin's Creed: Unity, Far Cry 3 and 4, and so many other games where you do missions you didn't do the first time around.

But you are 100% right about everything else.

Nah, talking about that. Was wondering why nothing was mentioned about them IN the actual ending. Like did Lambert and Keira stay together, or did they get on each other's nerves, etc.

It's basically the same situation in Assassin's Creed: Unity, Far Cry 3 and 4, and so many other games where you do missions you didn't do the first time around

Oh, I think most people get that, they just think it's disappointing and doesn't do the game justice... and I have to agree.

I think the "Ciri dies" and "Witcher Ciri" endings are fine as they are.
"Ciri goes to Nilfgaard" ending is a mess, way too many open questions, this could either end very well or very badly for Ciri and they don't really tell us anything about it. Also seems like Geralt pretty much abandons Ceri at that point and just leaves, which doesn't make any sense.

Nah, talking about that. Was wondering why nothing was mentioned about them IN the actual ending. Like did Lambert and Keira stay together, or did they get on each other's nerves, etc.

Well, we know Keira cures the plague and becomes world famous.

I like to think Lambert and she become Geralt and Yennefer Lite.

I didn't realize the Crone was taken care of in a different ending. Also second guessing the Empress Ending now as I'm wondering if she'd been happier fighting monsters.

I'm wondering if the expansion add-on that's coming in a couple months will answer any of these questions? If so, they could have added a "To be continued" or something to let you know.

As far as being "spoon-fed" information, I like to know what happens to everyone. If you were watching Game of Thrones and Jon Snow just quit appearing, or a lesser character pivotal to a plot arc was doing something in one scene then was never heard of again and everyone seemingly had amnesia regarding them, wouldn't you at least wonder? Ambiguity works if that's the intent from the get go, but I don't like it. If Nolan and Vigi died in battle, there should have been a funeral for them too way I see it.

I've read there wasn't going to be a Witcher 4? Anyone know for sure? I think a cool Witcher 4 variant would be a slightly older Ciri with a 20 year old son with her powers going to train with Geralt acting like a Vesimir and the son having some epic journey. Granted it'd veer way out of book territory, it'd play a homage to past RPG.

I didn't realize the Crone was taken care of in a different ending. Also second guessing the Empress Ending now as I'm wondering if she'd been happier fighting monsters.

I think that was the point of the Ciri troupe ending. Ciri makes it clear she wants a life on the open road with the common people, free from expectations, just helping people out on an individual level.

She doesn't want to be a Princess or controlled anymore.

Just free to live a normal life.

Empress Ciri is seemingly sacrifciing her personal happiness to make the world a better place.

Whatever happened to the Baron's daughter?

seemed to me like there was gonna be some kind of questline there. But that sort of thing shouldn't be explored in the ending, but during the game. I wanted to see what's up with the only nice witch hunter you ever met in the game (who came with Tamara) who also sounded like Sebastian from DA2. Also I wanna meet the hierarch, after all he asked you "have you met the man?".

I think that was the point of the Ciri troupe ending. Ciri makes it clear she wants a life on the open road with the common people, free from expectations, just helping people out on an individual level.

She doesn't want to be a Princess or controlled anymore.

Just free to live a normal life.

Empress Ciri is seemingly sacrifciing her personal happiness to make the world a better place.

Seems like the one thing that made Ciri give up on her wish to have a "normal" life was her (secret) discussion with Emhyr. What did he actually say to her?

I kind of doubt he said something like "Look I know I'm a evil bastard , but if you just come home I'll make you the leader and you can make the world a happy place :) "

But we don't really know why she changed her mind or what's actually going to happen to her in Nilfgaard... which is exactly why the more I think about this ending the more it is pissing me off >_>

Seems like the one thing that made Ciri give up on her wish to have a "normal" life was her (secret) discussion with Emhyr. What did he actually say to her?

I kind of doubt he said something like "Look I know I'm a evil bastard , but if you just come home I'll make you the leader and you can make the world a happy place :) "

But we don't really know why she changed her mind or what's actually going to happen to her in Nilfgaard... which is exactly why the more I think about this ending the more it is pissing me off >_>

Ciri mentions she can do more good as Empress than as a Witcher so presumably Emhyr persuaded her that way.

Personally, I think she's done enough.

But that's a profoundly selfish father's decision.

I think it is a good thing that Ciri will be empress due Nilfgard due to Skellige situation. Ciri and Geralt totally own Skellige for helping them against the Wild Hunt.

If I want to backtrack to get Witcher Ciri ending, would I just avoid the option to see her father 1st? And instead go to Velen? Also, is Witcher Ciri ending actually longer?

I didn't even know they were multiple endings until after I beat the MQ. I naturally got the Witcher Ciri ending and having seen the rest on youtube, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Not only did she seem truly happy, but the way she tells Geralt "Did he buy it?" (referencing when Geralt told Emphyr that Ciri was dead) implies that she had no desire to be the leader of an empire. In addition, her personality and dialogue reflects a free spirit and an individual that truly loves traveling and adventure. I can't imagine wanting to take that from her.

Personally, I think there is only one ending where Ciri truly "lives". Ciri may technically be alive in the empress ending, but stripped of what she loves and who she loves, I think she would slowly become a shell of her former, true self.

Top Bottom