Triss Merigold (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the problem though, isn't it? It's such an ambiguous statement that it could mean anything. I would consider additional cut scenes 'new content' so if all we get is a few additional lines of dialogue of recognition of the romance then its a half hearted attempt at appeasement.

The problems with the Triss romance is that it boils down to three quests, with barely more dialogue than a Witcher contract. Dijkstra gets more content than Triss. By extension, Yennefer probably gets the most dialogue in the story, a lot of it romance related even if you're not in a relationship with her. Adding a few lines isn't going to fix that.

What I want is quite simple - for Triss to have equal romance-related content as Yennefer. Only then is the Triss romance as valid as Yen's.

"Barely more dialogue than a Witcher contract"? "Dijkstra gets more content than Triss."

I disagree with that.

Lets add it up:

+ There's the initial scene where you encounter Triss in Novigrad and speak with the King of Thieves
+ You then proceed to scour Novigrad's canals for Triss' missing package and engage in banter
+ There are the two small mini side quests where you bring the soldier and nobleman statues to Triss for decompression
+ There's the quest where you infiltrate Menga's stronghold and try to extract information from him, then escape his complex.
+ There's the extended quest, Matter of Life and Death, which I thought was the most enjoyable part of the entire game. Gotta love that masquerade ball.
+ You have the option to briefly speak with Triss in Novigrad about Phillipa's whereabouts .... more on that later.
+ There's Now or Never where you help the mages escape from the city, which then segues into a romance scene if you chose for Triss to stay. The sex scene leaves something to be desired, but I found the dialogue to be witty and endearing in this scene.
+ There's Triss' brief appearance at Kaer Morhen, which admittedly needs to be expanded in some way.
+ There's the brief, albeit very memorable scene where you discuss future plans with Triss at the fountain near the Passiflora. I really love how it was executed, especially the part where she is standing on her tippy toes and kissing Geralt. Followed of course by the quest to recover Philippa, in which Triss makes a brief appearance.
+ Makes a brief appearance at the meeting in Skellige prior to the last battle. Again, another weak point in the narrative. All she says to Geralt is, "Good luck."

Conclusion: definitely more dialogue and scenes than a Witcher contract.

Does the romance have problems with consistency and reactivity? Of course, and I am looking forward to seeing how CDPR improves upon the existing romance ... but I don't think that it's completely broken or anything. Other people might have a different opinion, but I enjoyed the romance. It just needs tweaks and additions here and there.

Also, people do react to your choices on occasion. During the quest for the Sunstone, when Phillipa advises Geralt to take Yennefer with him and depart after the war, he says something to the effect of, "Triss might have a problem with that." Also, at the end of the game, Geralt tells Emhyr that he is supposed to meet someone, and Emhyr responds, "Ah yes, Triss Merigold."

The most problematic scenes, at least as far as I remember, were those at Kaer Morhen (the drinking scene and Vesemir's funeral), as well as the scenes in Skellige. I was pretty content with what transpired in Novigrad.

It will break the whole Uma curse dispelling sequence. And choosing between drinking with pals and a night with Triss? You must be kidding.

Well you have the option to sleep with Yen if you romance her during that time. Gotta admit, the drinking part was fun though.

Really all I want is Triss actually showing up at Kaer Morhen. I can understand why Yennefer has more romance content, because she is a big part of the game considering its all about looking for Ciri, but more Triss content will make the romance with her less dull, for example, you get to sleep with Triss at Kaer Morhen instead of getting wasted with Eskel and Lambert, and you get to have conversations with Triss at Kaer Morhen, and maybe even have a Yen and Triss argument scene considering Yen throws the bed out the window. It just sucks that after the light house scene, the next time you get to have some sort of conversation with her is when you give her the earrings, which is WAYYYYY later in the game.

No because it renders your choice invalid. It says we don't care you chose Triss, we'll just pretend you chose Yen. That romance then becomes unimportant. Thing is, it isn't unimportant to me otherwise I'd have chosen Yen. It disrespects the player by treating their choice with contempt. As a result, the story has more holes than Swiss cheese.

Did any of you point that out in the previous thread? I mean... Triss cares about that sort of stuff, he's a child of the elder blood, she considered Alvin as a son once too..

I honestly can't remember. But I'm guessing that someone did. Probably more than once in all of the 9000 old posts.

P.S- It seems ReptilePZ is offline so if you guys see him could you refer him to my post thanks :handy:

Sorry, didn't read your post yet, except for the last line...

You might want to MESSAGE him directly...and 'prune' your post if it has ANYTHING to do with the closing of the thread or references ANY action taken. They are NOT in a playful mood...

The old saying, "They are kicking ass and chewing bubblegum...and they are ALL out of bubblegum!" mean anything to you :)

Thats a good point, in the books what does Yen think of Triss and vice versa, what is their relationship like

In the books they are best friends, but they have little fights in private and a big fight over the Lodge after Yen escapes from Philippa to go find Ciri. In the last book Triss is torn between her belief in the Lodge's mission and the reality that Philippa is willing to sacrifice people Triss cares about (Yen and Geralt). At the very end Triss is trying to find forgiveness and reconciliation with both Yen and Geralt, but then the riot in Rivia happens and she never gets the chance.

From Lady of the Lake:
"You're not going to meet a loved one, Triss," Yennefer continued. "I am not so noble or stupid to give you the opportunity, or him the temptation. But just for today, I could not deny myself the sweet satisfaction. He knows the role you play as a member of the Lodge. He will thank you for that with his famous look. And I'll be looking at your quivering lips and trembling hands, I will listen to your lame apologies and excuses. And you know what, Triss, I will faint with delight."

"I knew," Triss grunted, "That you would not forget, that you would take your revenge. I agreed to do this, because I was actually at fault. But one thing I must tell you, Yennefer. Do not count on too much fainting. He knows how to forgive."

"He knows what was done to him, of course," Yennefer narrowed her eyes. "But he will never forgive you for what was done to Ciri. And me."

"It is possible," Triss swallowed. "He may not forgive. Especially if you insist. But he won't fly into a rage. He won't lower himself like that."

"Enough talk," [Yen] snapped, "more humility, you smug viper! He is my man, mine and only mine! Do you understand? You have to stop talking about him, to stop thinking about him, you have to stop admiring his noble character... As of right now, right now! Oh, I want to grab you by your matted red hair..."

"Try it!" screamed Triss. "Just try it, you vindictive bitch, and I'll scratch out your eyes!"

So clearly the reconciliation with Yen didn't go so well... and a pitchfork through Geralt's chest stopped any chance of finding out whether he would forgive her.

Though in the thick of the riot in Rivia Triss and Yen pull together again- in the end they will still fight for each other against the rest of the world.

"Let's go... Yenna... Run!"
"Run if you want!" [Yen] shouted. "Hide under the skirts of the Lodge! I have nothing left to defend! I will not leave Ciri alone! Or Geralt! Begone! Get out of my way if you appreciate your skin!"

Then Yen charges ahead and gets wounded by a stone to the head.

[Yen] came to, coughing and spitting blood. Someone had dragged her across the ground, and it was Triss, she knew by the smell of her perfume....

"Triss..." she stammered. "Teleport us out of here!"

"No Yennefer," Triss's voice was very quiet and very cold.

"They'll kill us..."

"No Yennefer. I will not run away. I will not hide under the skirts of the Lodge. And even though I am ready to faint with fear, like at Sodden, I will get over it!"

Triss grabbed Yennefer and dragged her towards the pile of rubbish and raised her hands. She shouted a spell with such rage, that the crowd fell silent for a moment.

"They will kill us," Yennefer spat blood.

"Help me Yennefer," Triss stopped for a moment. "Help me. Let's cast Alzur's Thunder..."
She joined in the enchantment, and they shouted in duet
It won't work, thought Yennefer. The spell will not work....

The sky darkened suddenly with clouds over the city. The shadows spread quickly. And a cold wind rose.

"Oh" said Yennefer. "It seems that you did it..."

So despite their bickering the sorceresses have each other's backs in the end. They give each other strength and won't abandon each other in danger. Or at least Triss won't abandon Yen.

No because it renders your choice invalid. It says we don't care you chose Triss, we'll just pretend you chose Yen. That romance then becomes unimportant. Thing is, it isn't unimportant to me otherwise I'd have chosen Yen. It disrespects the player by treating their choice with contempt. As a result, the story has more holes than Swiss cheese.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

The story plot have so many holes, they treated Triss like she wasn't even suppose to be there and the player made a huge mistake choosing her . That is why I don't think they believe simple dialogue is going to be enough to fix it.

The story doesn't really need new content honestly it only truely need tweaks, some cut scenes with Triss and meaniful conversation.

Instead of ignoring her for almost two acts. The funeral was terrible, before the battle Kaer Morhen and after was terrible too, Act 3 boat horrifying. There is no way Geralt be romancing Triss and she say nothing to comfort Geralt after Vesemir's death. I can see Yen not saying anything at Vesemir's funeral because, she and the old Witcher alway bump heads but, Triss? It's not possible.

No way she knows Geralt is going into battle with the hunt and all she says is "good luck". Remember in the tower she said she would be there to protect him from the hunt?

The guy she loves is going into a battle that could be his last, she difinitely say something more than "good luck". If anything she be terrified because she finally won him and now she could lose him forever.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

The story plot have so many holes, they treated Triss like she wasn't even suppose to be there and the player made a huge mistake choosing her . That is why I don't think they believe simple dialogue is going to be enough to fix it.

The story doesn't really need new content honestly it only truely need tweaks, some cut scenes with Triss and meaniful conversation.

Instead of ignoring her for almost two acts. The funeral was terrible, before the battle Kaer Morhen and after was terrible too, Act 3 boat horrifying. There is no way Geralt be romancing Triss and she say nothing to comfort Geralt after Vesemir's death. I can see Yen not saying anything at Vesemir's funeral because, she and the old Witcher alway bump heads but, Triss? It's not possible.

No way she knows Geralt is going into battle with the hunt and all she says is "good luck". Remember in the tower she said she would be there to protect him from the hunt?

The guy she loves is going into a battle that could be his last, she difinitely say something more than "good luck". If anything she be terrified because she finally won him and now she could lose him forever.

I agree 100%. Your lover just lost someone very close to him and there is no comforting? I actually forgot she says she was going to try and protect him from the hunt.

Lots and Lots of holes...

You know I could start this off by saying, "I have a dream..."

I've joked about this a couple of times but I just went back and read a few of the RED responses in the old thread...the one like where he says, "I woudn't call it new content..." and then later says 'they've made a few changes and they thank the folks in this thread will like them..."

Wouldn't it be an absolute HOOT if there was indeed two paths of the romance tree and somehow, the Yen path was enabled as default only :)

Someone goes back and checked and was like, "'should this IF>THEN statement here be set to CHOOSE > THEN?" DOH!!!

Suddenly a whole string of options to the dialog pops to the user depending on who they are in an active relationship with...

I am just dreaming but still...it would be so bleeding kewl!!!

"They'll kill us..."

"No Yennefer. I will not run away. I will not hide under the skirts of the Lodge. And even though I am ready to faint with fear, like at Sodden, I will get over it!"

I said this before in our previous thread, compare to Yen and the other sorceresses Triss is relatively inexperience, talented but inexperience. Her love for Geralt will cause her to do anything because, she didn't want to create another incident where she betrays or disappoint him even tho she knows Geralt would forgive her.

During this she grew and overcame her fear, and showed that she is just as powerful and strong as the other sorceresses. I know people mention she was a coward but, the difference between a coward and a hero is self control. A coward one minute can be a hero the next minute you just need the right circumstances to present itself. Same can be said, a hero one minute can be seen as a coward if they loose their nerve.

No one who has ever been into a life threatening situation can tell you they had no fear, that would be a bloody lie, they had fear but they were able to control that fear. Everyone have fear. Fight or flight is part of the human phyche.

Triss grew into a fierce sorceresses, Yen was upset in the end because what Triss said about how Geralt would react was very true even tho Yen didn't want it to be so.

Or at least Triss won't abandon Yen.

Triss wont abandon Yen, although Yen is vindictive, Triss still sees Yen as a friend. And if not for that then for Geralt and Ciri.

Well, it is not real late here but I have to be at work by 4:00am so...everyone, great day for the cause and remember, keep focused on the goal...report issues and no fighting with those who WANT to bait you into something foolish.

Have a great night and with luck, I will see you all a bit later!

Sorry, didn't read your post yet, except for the last line...

You might want to MESSAGE him directly...and 'prune' your post if it has ANYTHING to do with the closing of the thread or references ANY action taken. They are NOT in a playful mood...

The old saying, "They are kicking ass and chewing bubblegum...and they are ALL out of bubblegum!" mean anything to you :)

Yeah thanks I'll message him tomorrow morning if he does't respond. And I'll take my chances, I wrote that message with the same respect I show you guys...

I just spoke my opinion on the matter and if he punishes me for that well...then so be it. But change does't happen unless you speak your mind...as it was in the old thread.

The Triss content and the inconsistency of our romance's choice
Pages : 933
Answers from the devs : 8
Objective : accomplished
Epicness : over 9000

Lol. Well done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom