Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess it's rather Ciri's disapproval for the lodge and its plans. Yennefer took her to the lodge before the pogrom in Rivia. I doubt that Yennefer would force Ciri to do anything (and she wouldn't be able to do so anyway) but that she rather wanted to show her the realistic possibilities that she had.

I'm sure Yennefer isn't agree with the Lodge and its plans. Remember the books and two dialogues in the game, where Philippa says "Yennefer never belonged to the Lodge" and Yennefer says "I think there are other ways to defend magic than the Lodge methods" or something like that. But we know this because we know her from the books but the rest of the people don't.

I guess it's rather Ciri's disapproval for the lodge and its plans. Yennefer took her to the lodge before the pogrom in Rivia. I doubt that Yennefer would force Ciri to do anything (and she wouldn't be able to do so anyway) but that she rather wanted to show her the realistic possibilities that she had. But it's true that there always was conflict between Ciri and Yen in the books. Conflict that exists in pretty much every mother-daughter relationship. Conflict that comes naturally with complex human beings and especially while growing up. But they still love each other and Yennefer would do anything to protect Ciri. ;)

Becoming just a "normal" human being was actually never an option for Ciri. Yennefer knew that. CDPR constructed that kind of "happy witcheress ending" for her which is imo just inconsistent. But it's again something in which they mix up book lore and (differing) game lore without proper context...[/SIZE]

I think Yen brought Ciri to the lodge meeting, because she was afraid they would hunt them both down (justified concern), and attempted to resolve the whole situation peacefully.

On an unrelated note, sometimes, I wonder about teleports and their use/refusal to use as a plot device. Why didn't Yen and Ciri teleport to Montecalvo and back to Rivia? Why didn't the mages, at least those who could, teleport out of Novigrad?

Look at that stare.She's a pure evil ;D

I'm sure Yennefer isn't agree with the Lodge and its plans. Remember the books and two dialogues in the game, where Philippa says "Yennefer never belonged to the Lodge" and Yennefer says "I think there are other ways to defend magic than the Lodge methods" or something like that. But we know this because we know her from the books but the rest of the people don't.
I know. But Ciri doesn't know that. And even if she kind of knew it she doesn't accept it. Different POV. We shouldn't confuse our knowledge as readers with the individual knowledge of people within the story. ;)

Lady of the Lake:
Yennefer was right when she did not allow her to wear male clothing. Ciri would have felt foolish dressed as a boy among these elegant ladies. She was glad that she gave in to the combination of black and grey, it flattered her and she could fell the approval when they saw the puffy sleeves and clinched waist and the small brooch in the shape of a rose.
‘Come closer please.’
Ciri shivered slightly. It was not just the sound of the voice. Yennefer, as it turned out, was right about her neckline. Ciri had insisted thought, and now she had the impression that she could feel a draft on her breast all the way down to her navel, and was covered in goose bumps.
‘Closer still,’ said the dark-haired and dark-eyed woman whom Ciri remembered from the island of Thanedd. And though Yennefer had taught her all the names of the women she would meet in this castle, Ciri immediately though of her as Lady Owl.
‘We welcome you,’ Lady Owl said. ‘To the Lodge in Montecalvo, Ciri.’
Ciri bowed as instructed by Yennefer, politely, but without lowering her eyes modestly like a maiden.
It was answered with a sincere smile from Triss Merigold and a nod and a friendly look from Margarita Laux-Antille. The looks from the other women where hard as augers. As the blade of a piercing spear.
‘Sit down,’ Lady owl nodded towards a seat. ‘No, not you, Yennefer! Only her. You, Yennefer, are not an invited guest, but are summoned to be tried and punished as a wrongdoer. You’ll stand for as long as it takes the Lodge to decide your fate.’
In a twinkling of an eye, Ciri ended protocol.
‘In that case, I will stand also,’ she said in a loud voice. ‘I have not come as a guest. I too, was summoned to decide my fate. That’s the first thing. The second thing is that Yennefer’s fate is linked with mine. We are inextricably linked and that cannot be changed… With all due respect.’

I think both, Yennefer and Ciri, just wanted to resolve the matter, being straight with the Lodge and their plans.

BTW.. am i the unique girl here right now? :huh:

Hell, i was wondering when you finally appear here ;)

Kallelinski's post summed up why I was as unhappy about Yennefer's part in the game as I was. At first I was very happy, mostly because she was finally in a game and they did her justice appearance-wise. They got her attitude down perfectly and I ended up waiting the whole game for the rest of her character to show. Only bits and pieces made it in and I was really disappointed with that. I feel like CDPR was way too focused on getting her right at face value and her sensitive side suffered from it.

After platinum-ing the game, I really feel like I won't play through it again (without a reason to) because of how tiring it is to have to take all the NPC Yennefer bashing when people besides Yennefer have just the same amount, if not more, attitude and are willing to throw it around with no consequences. It seems like Yennefer is the only one to get all the hate for it. In addition to that, they never actually get her to stand up for herself. I remember only one instance where she did stand up for herself (in the inn right before The Last Wish quest) and it still ended up with more hate for the "witch" anyway. Why does Geralt only get results (sometimes) when he says to lay off of her with the small amount of opportunities he gets? And honestly, why should he when she is more than capable herself? It's not just Triss who can take care of herself.

I waited the whole game for Yennefer to get the credit she deserves in some way (where was the gratitude with UMA/Avallac'h after all her work?), but all that really came out of it was Lambert praising her shield spell...and then Triss's fireball spell praise was said as well in what felt like a "let's show that Lambert appreciates them both!" kind of thing. There was a real lack of Yennefer/Ciri moments besides a select few quick scenes that were overshadowed by how Geralt and Ciri are closer. I dunno, I feel like the books spoiled me. I expected the game to show off how it isn't wise to take her at face value at some point, but besides little cracks in her exterior with Geralt and Ciri, it failed.

One tiny area that I feel is ignored is how Yennefer didn't get angry at Geralt for going off with Ciri to kill Imlerith. This is somehow surprising to Geralt even though he knows her by now. She doesn't flip out on him for every little thing he does like every other NPC suggests at every opportunity they get. But even though Triss is the perfect mate for him in every way according to nearly everyone, she does get extremely angry at him. It's perfectly okay when Triss does something that people would judge Yennefer harshly for I guess.

Another aspect that got to me was the occasional subtle jab at Yennefer's role in the books. After the battle at Kaer Morhen, there were little comments that were made about how Yennefer's magic training with Ciri when she was young was taken as useless by Avallac'h. I feel this completely writes off a really good portion of Yennefer and Ciri's time together early on in the books as being pointless in the grand scheme of things. Also, during one of the quests with Ciri in the end, Ciri says something about not being able to live a free life and Yennefer got an "even Yennefer" comment while explaining all the reasons why. That was complete bullshit if you even take a quick glance at what she's done for her and how motherly Yennefer ends up in the books. That whole aspect of her is completely gone in the game. I won't even get into how little the history between Yennefer and the Lodge (and Triss) mattered at all. I know there are other examples, but I don't remember at the moment.

Anyway, this post is a bit of an incoherent mess so I'll just stop while I can. :p Complaining seems to get things changed so I might as well try!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom