Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I use romance and relation in the same sense. I seems they are not. I guess I've provoked more than one confusing so earlier.... :(

Which I think was a bad idea in the first place.

Character-driven beats plot-driven right out of the park imo...

What I don't get is the obsession with this "romance" term and how people talk about it. I blame Bioware for that video gamey bullcrap. For me a good story is all about relationships. Relationship to friends and families, job givers and colleagues, enemies and competitors, strangers and bystanders. Of course the importance of relationship is graded by their emotional impact. It's only natural that the relationship to your family (kids, parents, partners) are usually the most important ones. The relationship to certain enemies can be really strong and important as well, if you are for example consumed by hatred and the wish vor vengeance. The relationship to close friends can be also really important for people. This whole network of relationships is what truly defines us as human beings. It's at the center of who we are in the context of our own existence and in the bigger context of our existence in society. Relationships to the people you care about should be a natural part of any good story. No good prose works without it. It's at the center of good storytelling. Sapkowski himself said that the old leitmotif "Cherchez la femme" is what makes good stories work. An overall plot drives the story but the reaction of characters to what they are confrontated with is how it plays out. And this is based on their relationships that define what we think and how we act. Even having no relationship at all and being a completely lone wolf is driven by a relatonship - by the lack of it. Making relationships mere side content doesn't benefit a good story imho. It takes away from its very basic value, its fascination, its working formula. It's one of these video gamey absurdities that stories are often just simply plot driven with the characters taking a side role that you can deal with - if you feel so. I don't know why that's still the case but I guess (and this is my very own interpretation) that it has still something to do with videogames being seen as toys. Not explicitely, but somewhere deep below. That's why there is is only a part of concepts like violence and sexuality depicted in video games even if they claim to be mature. That's why relationships are degraded to romances that you could go for as some kind of trophy. In the end all of that hurts "mature" storytelling. It limits the challenge and scope for us experiencers. It limits the depth and complexity of relationships and motivations. It limits the range and scope of possible "real" consequences. I'm still waiting for a game that takes storytelling to the next level. Witcher 3 isn't that game I'm afraid.

Anyway, I think that will be my last post for a while. I'm taking a hiatus from the forum. Have a nice time, guys and gals. And behave, you hear me?! :)

Is it weird if your posts make me horny?
:huh:

Yennefer, Triss, and Geralt's relationship from a book reader who considers the games on equal canon grounds

One of the things which is true of video games which is not true of books is the fact that, like movies, there's a lot more open to interpretation. It's interesting to note, for example, my perspective of Triss Merrigold and Yennefer of Vengerberg in the games is very different from the perspective of those who post in other threads. Very much so, my interpretation is my own and what I got from the games rather than an objective statement of fact unlike in the books where it's less ambiguous.

For instance, my vision of Triss Merrigold is that of the Atoner. She is a woman who did some terrible, horrible things she regrets like betraying Geralt and Ciri in the books and proceeded to one-up herself by doing something even worse by betraying Geralt into seducing himself--knowing he wanted nothing further to do with her after the business of the Lodge.

Yet, because of Geralt's influence and the HORRIBLE consequences of both Jacques de Alderberg's madness as well as the Lodge's callous disregard for human life, Triss decided to reverse her prior decision. She chose Geralt over the Lodge and revealed their plans to the world. In short, Triss earned the right to be loved by Geralt, ironically by choosing to be more like Yennefer.

She also abandoned her past with Geralt because it was wrong to keep him from Yennefer and that she vowed to help him find her again. Triss made an effort, furthermore, to atone for her actions by working to save the persecuted and murdered in Novigrad from Radovid's madness.

You will not find this Triss Merrigold in many other threads

A character I have no interest in is the Triss Merrigold who did no wrong. Triss Merigold who was always the saintly Leliana of the games and someone who is defined by being the Good Grrl to Yennefer's Bad Grrl. A Triss Merrigold who is still loyal to the Lodge of Sorceresses and doesn't regret betraying Geralt not once, but twice. A Triss who would betray Ciri for a second time and for whom Geralt would, in his characteristic way, have nothing but "contempt and contemptibility" for.
Yet, there is evidence in the game for both Triss Merrigold's.

I was brought to the books by the games and thus tend to hold them in a high reverance than many book-readers. In my opinion, there are two different and equally valid continuties but they have their own deep importance. There's the Witcher novel-canon where the Witcher books are a complete story. Geralt dies at the hands of the pogrom as does Yennefer but Ciri manages to move them bodily to a dimension in-between life and death to live their Happy Ending (which is a cop-out but I don't mind giving a physical Heaven to our heroes). However, the video games have their own canon where the books are 100% canon but the story continues. I actually maintain a third canon where "Something Ends, Something Begins." Because why not?

In the game canon, Geralt of Rivia and Yennefer have both been affected strongly by the past seven years. My preference for the Yennefer and Geralt relationship is that Geralt still very much loves Yennefer but he's also possessed of many new and complicated feelings from the past seven years. He's become more more politically involved, against his will perhaps, but undeniably so.

New Geralt

The New Geralt is affected by his amnesia to the point that he has enacted real-change in the world and is no longer "just" a Witcher. He's a savior to the whole of Temeria as well as a living legend. He's in a different sort of world now, one where Witchers are not anachronisms, but vitally important parts of society again. He's also world-famous because of Dandelion's ballads and determines the fate of nations.

In short, he's found himself in the uncomfortable role of hero.

This Geralt has much different about him and much more desire to help the common good. He is revitalized, for lack of a better term, and this affects his relationships. One of the saddest elements is Geralt finds this vitality at the cost of that which he loves most--The Geralt who loved Triss and is a hero....has no daughter nor Yennefer and didn't even realize their absence until it became the most important one in his life.

When he meets Yennefer again, he may find they have little in common....and his daughter is a woman now.

Being a hero is poor compensation for these losses.

New Yennefer

Yennefer, by contrast, is suffering a much worse fate. She is a woman who has spent the past seven years imprisoned at the hands of Nilfgaard, suffering indignities, and recovering her memory quickly but remaining in the hands of a monster. She is forced to watch Geralt live a life of privilege and honor with her best friend (who she must hate now--ironic, given Triss finally realizes how badly she's misused her companion). The Yennefer who is finally released is a woman who wants nothing more than to REGAIN her happy ending. The one stolen from her not by Triss but circumstance. This is what motivates her rage and anger. A desperate desire to take back what has been taken, her family, and loved ones--no matter the cost.

WHICH YOU WOULDN'T KNOW the way some people treat her. They either ignore Yennefer's ruthless actions and the fact these are a gross change from the book character, pretending she's still the same woman as before, or they paint her with some broad evil stroke which ignores her humanity. There's evidence for both but, for me, the Yennefer of the Games is a woman hideously wronged and trying to claw her way out.

And then can hear from her true love's lips.

"No, I'm sorry, Yen, I just don't feel the same way anymore."

Gut punch.

Thankfully, there's another option, but for me Yennefer's story is one of meta-textual fun. That her role as the main female protagonist has been usurped--and the story is very much one of realizing it may be impossible to go back--but she can always move forward.

I disagree with your view of Geralt. World-affecting, politically-involved living legend, (reluctant) hero... that's what he has always been. And witchers remain anachronisms, nobody needs them - Geralt is famous, world-affecting precisely because he is really shitty at being just a witcher. I don't really see how this Geralt would have a little in common with Yennefer, as by the time he regains his memorie he is back to being good old Geralt and remains basically unaffected by the events of the first two games.

Let's warm this thread after the White Chill of banhammers.

What's your favourite romantic moment between Y&G in the game?

I agree the most of them are really hot/touching/heartwarming but for me the scene in Kaer Morhen rocks as hell. Not because of 18+ content, because of pure emotions. Djinn's curse is dead but feelings are real as never. And I have no idea how designers and animators did it - Yennefer's eyes literally can not lie. If she's angry - violets are freezing cold, if she's sad - violets like spring's eavesdrop, if she wants him - violets like two burning crystals.

Same but I could do without the animal chase sequence. REDkit to cut out that part please.

And I'm just all like fuck it man, CDPR did a great job, the game is great, Yennefer is great and Ciri is great. I mean how could you resist lol. Yennefer scenes and facial expressions are just perfect, I wouldn't change a thing. I pretty much knew what she was about to say or how she was going to react 90% of the time. The atmosphere is fucking great, characters are written perfectly as they are, I wouldn't change a thing. The game has its own sacred beauty which I just wouldn't dare to touch at all to be completely honest lol. IF I MISS Yen and Ciri content and their lack of motherly-daughterly-lovely moments I just read the last chapter of Blood of Elves - very recommended therapy for everyone being dissapointed about the lack of their time together in Witcher 3. Honestly the lodge eavesdropping and wrecking Cuntallac'hs laboratory just didn't cut it for me. I think I had to read it thrice while playing Witcher 3 lmao.
YES, SOMEONE ELSE USES THAT TO REFER TO HIM.

Ah but seriously, I had a good laugh at the Lodge Eavesdropping, and when it cut to Cunallac'hs face with the beard I laughed because it brought back memories of doing that to every newspaper in the house.

So Blood of Elves, which book is that? Number 3? Cause I'm on Sword of Destiny currently.

I disagree with your view of Geralt. World-affecting, politically-involved living legend, (reluctant) hero... that's what he has always been. And witchers remain anachronisms, nobody needs them - Geralt is famous, world-affecting precisely because he is really shitty at being just a witcher. I don't really see how this Geralt would have a little in common with Yennefer, as by the time he regains his memorie he is back to being good old Geralt and remains basically unaffected by the events of the first two games.

Yeah, I don't think so in the slightest. :)

But we knew that.

But if Geralt didn't change because of the past two games....wow, that's shitty storytelling.

Ah but seriously, I had a good laugh at the Lodge Eavesdropping, and when it cut to Cunallac'hs face with the beard I laughed because it brought back memories of doing that to every newspaper in the house.

So Blood of Elves, which book is that? Number 3? Cause I'm on Sword of Destiny currently.

Yes,it's the third book.

Blood of Elves is the first book of the Witcher saga. It goes after the Sword of Destiny so when you're done with SoD just jump right into BoE.

I think BoE is the best book for both game Triss and game Yen fans, Triss fans get a lot of that booty in this one, but so do Satan (Yen) worshippers - especially after the painful events of "Something More". It's worth to wait for the 7th chapter.

The order I did two times so far and it worked out great, ended up being depressed and crying like a little bitch on random occasions and activities during the day:

The Last Wish collection (7 stories + 7 voices of reason I believe) -> The Sword of Destiny collection (The Bounds of Reason, A Shard of Ice, Eternal Flame, A Little Sacrifice, The Sword of Destiny and Something More) -> Witcher saga
(all 5 books in their order)

If I get hungry for Yennefer (um, don't kill me for that IF please, sometimes I have to remind myself I actually have a wife and try to not think about Yen, but damn it's pretty hard) I read just particular stories/tales and these would be "Last Wish" from "The Last Wish" collection, then The Bounds of Reason, A Shard of Ice and "Something More" from The Sword of Destiny collection. Then if I feel like I still need more and can't stop crying until I read it all, I jump to the last chapter of Blood of Elves and then eventually read whole Time of Contempt. That usually results in promising myself to finish reading the whole saga for the 3rd time (next 3 books after ToC) but all I was able to manage so far was to read the last one which kinda helped me dealing with my random bursts of tears. Not entirely ofc, I often cry when I see these beautiful Yen pictures in this thread, fuck you guys and your breathtaking screenshots. :)
:sad:

Last edited:
Well it's been seven years.

four years with the Wild, two since and most of the seventh year is the game.

Do you mean:
-Yen with the WH for four years (now it prove Geralt isn't the best tracker :D)
-Or Geralt with the Hunt for four years ? This make more sense, but the wiki timeline said otherwise. Now i don't know what to believe anymore ...

But yes, the idea Geralt hasn't been dramatically changed by the past two years is disingenuous to his character. They're some of the biggest most important events of his life.

Which is why I think people who just want to sweep the games under the rug and revert to book characterization are, well, kind of being disingenuous.

Let's warm this thread after the White Chill of banhammers.

What's your favourite romantic moment between Y&G in the game?

I agree the most of them are really hot/touching/heartwarming but for me the scene in Kaer Morhen rocks as hell. Not because of 18+ content, because of pure emotions. Djinn's curse is dead but feelings are real as never. And I have no idea how designers and animators did it - Yennefer's eyes literally can not lie. If she's angry - violets are freezing cold, if she's sad - violets like spring's eavesdrop, if she wants him - violets like two burning crystals.

My sick perception feels that moment like: "I'm glad you can understand me, get and forgive all the weaknesses of my temper. I'm glad you're still with me and even after spellbreak our magnets have no resistance between each other."

Beautiful post man - I wouldn't describe it better since my English is bad...but damn hell yeah....best romance ever! It is like the song....love is in the air...:guitar:

I like this moment - how Geralt looks at her here...too bad about the wolfs hunting symbolism though (I was like wtf? ???) - I guess we all would prefer only them (right?) :blushing:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom