Quen

+
Quen

Is it me or Geralt shouldn't be able to attack and move when holding quen sign according to lore? Also remember that in books quen never canceled whole impact, it was just some magical protection that make him survive real hard magical blows but he still gets some damage.

I haven't read any of the books, but you can't expect a word for word adaption of the books into a video game, or any other form of media. There needs to be some wiggle room for developers. Something that is awesome in a book, might not really work in gameplay terms.

The important thing for a videogame is that it is entertaining in its own media. Putting arbitrary restrictions on a game because of "that's how it is in the books" often leads to frustrating annoyances in a game.

Different media require different mechanics and execution.

Im just telling that because in my opinion quen is the most broken sign in the game that need to be redesigned. Imho quen shouldn't cancel whole dmg, it should be % reduction. Good idea would be for quen to work similar to parry but against different type of attacks. For example you can't parry attacks for very powerful monsters, but holding quen sign should work.

Plus, there's the glaringly obvious "Why block with magic when you can block with a sword?" on WItcher's Quen absorbing the full blow.

How is Quen even useful in the book? You don't have to stand in one spot to block with a sword IRL.

Sirnaq said:
Im just telling that because in my opinion quen is the most broken sign in the game that need to be redesigned. Imho quen shouldn't cancel whole dmg, it should be % reduction. Good idea would be for quen to work similar to parry but against different type of attacks. For example you can't parry attacks for very powerful monsters, but holding quen sign should work.
Quen broken? I wouldn't call saving my life a few hundred times broken.
It is incredibly useful, and only absorbing one hit is fine with 4 spells at a time, and if it electrocutes people when it goes down.

In the witcher 1 Quen acted more like it did in the books and it was basically useless in the game at least for me. I totally agree with what Dusky said, you cant adapt everything from the books exactly as it should be. For a video game I'd much rather have the spells be functional then true to the books. Anyway Geralt hardly uses any spells in the English translated books besides Axii (his horse always needed relaxing). Block does not mitigate all damage (at least if you don't have the right skill) so there needs to be something to absorb all damage in the game if only for one hit.

I'd rather have them used horses in the game than true to book spells. At least Geralt in the books always had horse and it would be functional with the game. (maybe withcher 3?)

Hotnels said:
In the witcher 1 Quen acted more like it did in the books and it was basically useless in the game at least for me.

Not just you. I think there was one "scripted" event in the game when Quen was useful, otherwise it was ignored.

i think they switched it to balance the crazy amount of damage that geralt receives, compared to the first game, especially @ early on, before you get the parry ability.

maybe it was arena mode that really helped them decide to change it?

...and yeah, it was originally intended to allow geralt to imbibe potions..without interruption, or take damage in the process, should i say.

Sirnaq said:

The game is balanced around the idea of how Quen works at the moment. As in absorbing a full hit.

You change that then you have to change a lot of others things to compensate for it.

dragonbird said:
Not just you. I think there was one "scripted" event in the game when Quen was useful, otherwise it was ignored.

Exactly, for the longest time when the witcher 2 came out I never used Quen cause i thought it would be utterly useless. At least in Assassins of kings they made it useful enough to even consider and now its a life saver for non-magic based classes.

In the witcher 1 Quen acted more like it did in the books and it was basically useless in the game at least for me

You shouldn't compare combat from the first game to combat in second, they have completely different mechanics.

My point is that quen right now is too useful. You use it 10 times more than other signs, its basically quen spam on harder difficulties (especially arena). If you played games like dark souls you know that its possible to balance combat without good mode spell.

Also quen have no downsides beside no vigor regeneration, so basically when you fight for example drowners or rotlings you hit and run with quen spam then wait for half a minute rolling for vigor regen and spam some quen more. I understant that they nerfed quen hard, but i think that for their next game they should consider redesign of this sign.

They probably need a happy medium between the useless TW1 Quen and the over-used TW2 Quen. I'm hoping that they're aware of this, given the fact that they have nerfed Quen a little bit more in every patch update.

dragonbird said:
They probably need a happy medium between the useless TW1 Quen and the over-used TW2 Quen. I'm hoping that they're aware of this, given the fact that they have nerfed Quen a little bit more in every patch update.

The only way for quen to work without breaking the game balance is make it work as in version 1.0 BUT protect only from 30%, 45% and 60% of damage dealt to Geralt or improve AC by let's say 70%, 100% and 130% with each point in the skill. This way it would still be useful while the player would have to weight benefits of using it against the cons (vigour regeneration blocked, which lowers strength of hits and does not allow for magic-happy combat, and never full invournability).

If you spam Quen on harder difficulties then the game must be boring for you.
Personally I use all magics at my disposal, Quen as an insurance policy especially early in the game when one back stab ends you, throw down Yrden to trap an enemy, hopefully in a bottle neck, then Axii to charm the trapped enemy, while hes fighting his friends I roll around behind blast them with Igni and if they incinerate take free shots at them, finally Aard to handle any survivors and high level enemies.

If all you do is spam Quen cause you can then you must be having a bad time playing the game.

My point is that quen right now is too useful. You use it 10 times more than other signs, its basically quen spam on harder difficulties (especially arena).

Have you played a magic spec in TW2? Yes as a swordsman or alchemist, or a mix of both, then you use Quen a hell lot more then the other signs, but that's because you haven't upgraded the other signs at all and Quen is vastly more useful in that situation then the other signs.

If you upgrade then they become quite useful.

CostinMoroianu said:
Have you played a magic spec in TW2? Yes as a swordsman or alchemist, or a mix of both, then you use Quen a hell lot more then the other signs, but that's because you haven't upgraded the other signs at all and Quen is vastly more useful in that situation then the other signs.

If you upgrade then they become quite useful.
Actually im avoiding using quen entirely, when im fighting with humans im usually using parry and riposte, but as i said. When fighting more than 3 rotlings or drowners its impossible to perform riposte on them. At arena you are fighting 10 of them at a time and i found quen spam to be the easiet way to survive, no matter what build you are using. But that's offtopic... Quen is just badly implemented, it could be so much more fun to use. Some battle could be so much tougher, quen is like cheap move that works on everything and you must stoping yourself to use it. CDPR should redesign it imho.

CostinMoroianu said:
As I pointed out earlier, they need to redesign the entire combat system if they change quen.
Well, when they are going to design combat for the third game, they could consider some changes to existing combat.

CostinMoroianu said:
The game is balanced around the idea of how Quen works at the moment. As in absorbing a full hit.

You change that then you have to change a lot of others things to compensate for it.

True. And there is no rule saying you have to use it. I don't use it anymore and I play just fine. You will die more, but its more fun for me. After you get to a certian skill level, quen is just EZ mode. I know they nerfed it and all, which is good in my opinion, but I still find it more challenging to go without. You should try it OP if your not happy with the way it works.

So, in the book, Quen does only partly absorb damage? Is it kinetic damage it absorbs? If so, it seems like its something of limited use as a sword held in a classical way would be better in most situations.

I had heard about the Heliotrope sign being like Quen but used to protect oneself from magic and was kinda disappointed that it was a "slow time bubble" spell. They should have made it an anti-magic protection sign (as you can hardly parry spells with a sword) The "slow time spell" could have been a result of the magic path unlocking some of Geralts unusual magic talents.

BTW, can anyone learn how to use signs, or does it require something that people normally does not have?

Top Bottom