960 runs it on High @ 1080p and Titan X on Ultra @ 4K

+
Wonder if I should OC my 970 or just run stock?

I dont have the EVGA 970, however i have the MSI 970 Gaming which is very OCable (if not the best for ocing)

I personally am running a 1.5Ghz Clock and 4Ghz Mem OC which makes it (almost) perform like a stock 980 in many games. That means my card performs nearly 20% better than it did out of the box (mind you this is considered still a 'safe' OC, some people push it up to nearly 1.6ghz core)

If i were you i'd check google or visit some OC communities and see if someone can get you a guide or some live help OCing the EVGA 970. At the very least a 10% performance gain should be possible.

Last edited:
I've been looking around and I can't find any guides, and I've gotten no response on several forums. I don't really want to mess with the voltage, just the clock speeds but I really have no idea where to start. I have EVGA PrecisionX 16, but I don't know if it works very well.

I've been looking around and I can't find any guides, and I've gotten no response on several forums. I don't really want to mess with the voltage, just the clock speeds but I really have no idea where to start. I have EVGA PrecisionX 16, but I don't know if it works very well.

Ill look around my OCing community, ill get back to you over PM

Just remember. Less demanding =/= better optimized. :)

true. but optimization by definition is to make the most out of the resources you have. to get increase the software's performance using the hardware at your disposal, regardless of how demanding your software will be. ^^
(i'm an engineer btw, so i know what i'm talking about damn it ! :comeatmebro:)

My msi 970 gaming runs at 1520mhz (self OC) and its Vram at 4GHz

In most games a decent OCed 970 only performs slightly worse than a stock 980 at ressolutions equal or lower than 1440p (more than that and the 3,5 / ,5 GB vram becomes an issue)

I can only speak for MSI GTX 970 owners: do yourself a favor, OC your card, its easy, no risk as long as you don't OC it over 1380-1400mhz ( + 110/130mhz in Afterburner), set your TDP to 110 and mem clock to +250mhz

Just google for a guide.

Enjoy the 10% performance gain :)

I've just bought the exact card from msi thank you for the tips. Is the fans on the msi version any good?

How do ppl think my DualX R9 270 4GB perform? It's no race sim, so as long as I get solid 30fps at high or ultra (too much to hope I guess), I'm happy. Can someone give me some idea based on what nvidia card my GPU is similar to in performance?

How many GB VRAM do you have? My 760 has 4GB and I really hope I can go on high with some ultra settings

Mine 760 has only 2, unfortunately :( . I think i will be ok. I've been able to run the latest games with a high/ultra configuration at 30-40 fps at 1080p

I dont have the EVGA 970, however i have the MSI 970 Gaming which is very OCable (if not the best for ocing)

I personally am running a 1.5Ghz Clock and 4Ghz Mem OC which makes it (almost) perform like a stock 980 in many games. That means my card performs nearly 20% better than it did out of the box (mind you this is considered still a 'safe' OC, some people push it up to nearly 1.6ghz core)

If i were you i'd check google or visit some OC communities and see if someone can get you a guide or some live help OCing the EVGA 970. At the very least a 10% performance gain should be possible.

would this work with an msi 960 as well? if i were to OC to 1.5 Ghz would i get near 970 levels?

would this work with an msi 960 as well? if i were to OC to 1.5 Ghz would i get near 970 levels?

I dont have any experience with ocing the 60 range of cards, always got 70's or 80's

970 has twice the memory and bus size.. not speaking about nearly twice the output processors and shading units. 970 to 80 is more doable because gap between the 970 and 80 is significantly smaller and the 970 is made for ocing :p

However i am guessing we can OC it closer to the 970

I dont have any experience with ocing the 60 range of cards, always got 70's or 80's

970 has twice the memory and bus size.. not speaking about nearly twice the output processors and shading units. 970 to 80 is more doable because gap between the 970 and 80 is significantly smaller and the 970 is made for ocing :p

However i am guessing we can OC it closer to the 970
oh well, so long as i can get all settings to high at 40+ fps i'll be happy (upgrading from a gtx 650,[not Ti] so will be quite the change)

Hmm, i wonder how a 670 holds up to a 960.......any ideas as i currently have a 670 and have been thinking of buying a 970.

Top Bottom