A compendium of tweaks and fixes for the PC version

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's not the only value to be set correctly. What about luminascence, saturation,digital vibrance and contrast? setting gamma to 0.45 makes the image uber dark for me.
With our gamma settings now the shadow in the picture is too dark, maybe a bit tweaking with level ,could fix them?
That was admirable, you used our settings to meet our way of see things :). Personally i don't mind changing my settings, but we have to agree on the same for everyone for a proper comparison think.

0.45f anf 2.2f are constants to turning linear gamma curve to non linear and back. Math is simple is 1/2.2f=0.45f and 1/0.45=2.2f
in game shaders it looks like this color.rgb = pow (abs(color.rgb), 1/0.45f) < this turns linear to non linear ; or color.rgb = pow (abs(color.rgb), 1/2.2f) < this turns non linear to linear
see this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_correction
"In most computer display systems, images are encoded with a gamma of about 0.45 and decoded with a gamma of 2.2".

So in video cards driver its 0.45 in other tools its 2.2, some programs and people mess them up and flip values. Many games does not even have slider that allows to reach entire gamma range and witcher 3 is on of such games, where minimal gamma value is not even close to proper one.

It looks dark because you used to linear gamma, but after you will get used to it you will realise that your colors was wrong all the time.
Gamma affects contrast and luminance. everything besides gamma should be default. Different game has different calibrations (or lack of) but you should not change system wide calibrations because of one game since it may have negative impact on others. So just reset nvidia and ati color settings, set 0.45 and get used to it. Some games will ignore it and force linear or its own gamma. in such games you have set 0.45 or 2.2 if they use correct values. or if it is a screwed game like Withcer 3 you should use -4 for gamma value. i others you have to force windowed fullscreen to keep desktop gamma calibration or use reshade \ sweetfx with simple custom function lke this added to custom shader:
#define DisplayGamma 2.2 (or 0.45 in some rare cases)

return pow (abs(color.rgb), DisplayGamma);

But this will not correct broke whites and blacks points. for this you will need something more heavy like my HSV control shader which i have not released yet. Which allows to control value\brightness (but this better to be done after converting gamma to linear, and then back to non linear in 3 stages for best results).

But i found easy way. to restore proper color range in withcer 3:
1) use Reshade framework (not vanilla sweetfx!)
2) Open CustomeFX_settings.cfg
3) Set 1 to USE_REINHARD
4) Set #define ReinhardWhitepoint somewhere in a range of 0.95-0.98 (basically this value could be translated as how much % of maximum brigtness original source had, and it will add like 5% to get 100% range, if you set something like 1.1 it will remove like 10% and will make everything dimmed )
5) Set ReinhardScale 1.0

And after this, you will have colors like this (linear shot, must me watched with gamma 0.45 or will look brighter than it should):

Or like this (this is with non linear 2.2 value, gamma baked into it and on linear you will see it like it supposed to be):

Now lets see histogram:

Tada! We got full whites and black back!

Fable Anniversary that has totally ruined color with white
That game was a downright nightmare to improve the visuals of. I gave up and just played the first game since it looked better haha. If you made a good preset, could you PM me some images? I'm just curious to see what you did with the game.

And I do agree with you on shader stuff being discussed here but the problem is that some people get upset when tastes collide.

---------- Updated at 08:49 PM ----------

1) use Reshade framework (not vanilla sweetfx!)
2) Open CustomeFX_settings.cfg
3) Set 1 to USE_REINHARD
Also sweetFX also has a reinhard shader and it has an extra option over the other one. I use this myself but just to make the game a bit brighter, I don't care much about shadows.

Last edited:
check why the site from today has serious issue getting people connected, it loads like a minute before letting me in

Last edited:
yep to much people connect to the serv its like we are DDOSing him ^^....

Update 1.05 add interesting value in the "rendering.ini"

[Scaleform/GlyphCache/1]
NumTextures=2
TextureHeight=2048
TextureWidth=2048
MaxSlotHeight=48
SlotPadding=2

U think we can now uberscale texture ?

For the popping NPC issue 1.05 fixe it for me same for u ?

.But rest the fade in off meshes am the only one to got that ?

Attachments

• witcher3 2015-06-06 00-11-16-41.jpg
    witcher3 2015-06-06 00-11-16-41.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 60
  • witcher3 2015-06-06 00-11-16-41.jpg
    witcher3 2015-06-06 00-11-16-41.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 53
  • witcher3 2015-06-06 00-11-21-01.jpg
    witcher3 2015-06-06 00-11-21-01.jpg
    329.4 KB · Views: 91
[Scaleform/GlyphCache/1]
NumTextures=2
TextureHeight=2048
TextureWidth=2048
MaxSlotHeight=48
SlotPadding=2

U think we can now uberscale texture ?

This has to do with the UI. Possibly the icons in the inventory, but I don't know. Anything that starts out with Scaleform is about the UI.

This has to do with the UI. Possibly the icons in the inventory, but I don't know. Anything that starts out with Scaleform is about the UI.

am so dumb ...u right .......its about UI ...my wet dreams broken ...

and about the meshes pop issue u have the same ?

and i comming back to 1.04 to ....lot of more stuttering with the 1.05

Pretty sure the fact that images are *encoded* with a gamma of about 0.45 does NOT mean you're supposed to set your monitor to 0.45...

So I've played a bit with patch 1.05 installed and the brand new "camera smoothness improvements" actually made looking around with the mouse appear more sluggish than in version 1.04. Not a fan! :-

Does anyone feel the same about the camera look/movement?

So I've played a bit with patch 1.05 installed and the brand new "camera smoothness improvements" actually made looking around with the mouse appear more sluggish than in version 1.04. Not a fan! :-

better feeling with pad ....but in fact 1.05 cause much stutter and dont fix any issues

for me....

found the proper skybox files

hoo nice brooo !! wellplay ........maybe we can got the cinématic effect in game now ? what is the way to follow ?

It's so much better and more responsive on controller. His movement is better, especially swimming. I don't feel like rage quitting at the swimming mechanics anymore.

Did the update reset your Hardware Cursor setting? Or any of the input settings? I don't use KB&M so I've never paid attention to those settings. I'm pretty sure that when a new version is released the bottom left corner of the main menu says "Version updated, settings reset" or something to that effect.

My main menu and the Dandelion loadscreen videos are no longer capped at 18FPS either. It makes it feel like a new game honestly.

Load times for me were drastically reduced. Not sure why as I didn't think the release notes mentioned it. But never before have I opened the game and loaded a save and been able to skip the Dandelion videos. This time I got through only half of it before the game loaded. Before it usually took his entire video + 4-5 seconds. I don't know if this is somehow related to the drastic FPS reduction during these load screens that existed before patch 1.05 or if they actually improved something about the game loading.

Though oddly these screens run at 32FPS now (18FPS before), instead of the 30FPS limit stated in the INI. I'm guessing that it's possibly due to the polling rate not being sub-millisecond. For example if you are trying to rate limit to 60FPS (16.667ms frametime) but your polling rate is only 1ms, you end up limiting at 62.5FPS (1000/16). The closest I can get to 32FPS is if the polling rate is only every 2ms and you end up getting 31ms frametimes instead of 33.333ms. Of course it could be another reason entirely, but I've seen many report that theirs is 32FPS now.

found the proper skybox files :D

you can change the lighting color?
some lighting weather is awful, like this adds a red light

you can fix it with sweetfx but also changes the colors that should not change (like tree trunks, dry grass and clothes), and when the weather changes the colors are busted

Here's an example of how it might look by changing the color of weather from file instead of use sweetfx

My camera and general gameplay fluidity are fine, however take my experience with a grain of salt, because all those terrible stories of FPS drops, stuttering and crashes because of each new patch I keep reading, never happened to me so far, so maybe my setup is especially stable in general.

I also play with Vsync so...

Oh and I can confirm that the FPS in the main menu are uncapped for me, or at least run at 60fps how it should, not 25-30, and loading screens and pre rendered stuff now runs at 32 which is all well, before that it was more like 25.

I did not really experience any huge bugs. Like most people, got a few CTD and drivers failed here and there ( Especially having Chrome opened while playing ). I use firefox while playing now. A lot less driver bugs. Running on a GTX 970. Everything on Ultra except Foliage distance which is at high. Motion Blur Off, blur OFF, Sharpening at low ( Using Sweetfx ) AA OFF, Vsync ON trough Nvidia CP. Hairworks ON. FPS Cap Unlimited, FullScreen...

Running 1.04 now since I'm at work.. Gonna try later...But generally speaking, it's running smooth from 45-60 fps. Sometimes goes a bit lower but not very often. Camera is super smooth.

I played very long sessions ( 6-7 hours ) . I think I have about 130 some hours in as of now. Still in Velen, soon to go to Skillige. Love this game!!! :D

Last edited:
Judging by the comments in the thread devoted to patch 1.05 it didn't fix much and introduced some new errors. I wonder if I should update at all. And Momot said it's going to be a large patch, pfft, the same as two before it, about 290 Mb.

I don't know if I'm imagining things either, but the game looks A LOT better. It's like the lighting system has been improved. Or at the very least ambient occlusion. Something is different graphically, and I love it. It's a lot easier to move around too, but that's in the patch notes. And the bigger font is a godsend. So far no issues on Steam version.

This is interesting. Could anybody else confirm or disprove it?

These two really contradict the one before them:

Downgraded LOD and many others ...omg why this happens on UBER SETTINGS?!! Plz don't cut graphics :(

With patch 1.03.... I have constans 60 fps (Ultra wihout hairworks). No problems, no freezes...
With patch 1.04, i have constans 60 fps (Ultra without hairworks), smooth gameplay, but freezing with OC'd vga...Like many more players on the internet...The only thing that helped: Downclock the vga...But i have constans 60 fps with factory vga clocks...

And now: 1.05.... I have an average 45-50 fps (Ultra without hairworks), and no freezing with OC'd or non OC'd vga...

Its a performance downgrade...not upgrade...And all the forums fulfilled with this kind of "fps downgrade" over the internet.....:(

Edit: And one more: Downgraded LOD too.....Some object are fulfilled five to ten feet in front on me.... And candlesticks in the house have no shadows???? ....... I semm to remember before 1.05, candlestick lights have shados, and LOD was much farther away....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom