Abandoned Sites

+
Abandoned Sites

So, I'm confused. I clear out these abandoned sites. Time advances 8-12 hours.... and apparently Geralt does NOTHING during that time. He doesn't loot (which is annoying cos once the people come back they take that kind of thing personally). He doesn't meditate. He doesn't replenish his potions.

What would be so much cooler is for the people to return to these sites over time... which would give me the opportunity to steal all their stuff in between the monsters getting dead and the people coming back. :D

True that! :eek:kay:
You just confirmed my hypothesis that Nibbles the Cat is meant as a sign for "something bad just happens".

Hm...

Anyway! :D Except for 2 abandoned sites in northern Velen, which are then occupied by military personell, you can take all the stuff anyway. One of them, near Ferry Station, you can loot while the ghouls are still around. Just sneak around behind the back of one last survivor ghoul and take everything. The other, south of Devil's Pit, is more problematic, because the drowners don't turn their backs. Try and take what you can before killing them. If you then want to take the rest, just do it, and run away until the soldiers lost interest.

:rly?:
In no other abandoned site I ran into issues with "theft" of the goods.

Ha ha!

I was passed up by a tax collector in Oxenfurt last night. He asked me a lot of questions. Amongst them if I ever grabbed anything from a home. I had to pay 1000 in taxes in Novigrad.

I picture a lot of things that take place off camera. In the case of Abandoned sites I picture Geralt learns of them three different ways: He stumbles across it, he reads about it on a notice board, or by word of mouth (all off camera). After he takes one of these places back I picture him going to the nearest populated area and informing them of what he did. Several hours go by and he just takes a break, learns more things by word of mouth (off to the next question mark) and then leads them to the site of the scene where they all settle in. He is just taking it easy during this time.

I picture a lot of things that take place off camera. In the case of Abandoned sites I picture Geralt learns of them three different ways: He stumbles across it, he reads about it on a notice board, or by word of mouth (all off camera). After he takes one of these places back I picture him going to the nearest populated area and informing them of what he did. Several hours go by and he just takes a break, learns more things by word of mouth (off to the next question mark) and then leads them to the site of the scene where they all settle in. He is just taking it easy during this time.

Actually, your speculation is quite understandable. Next time you clear a abandoned site, pay attention to the time loss. It's in between 9-11 game hours, so your thoughts fit nicely with the time line. If my computer wasn't on the fritz, I would give you a "thanks for this post" & a "RED" point.

Not allowed from the mobile site I am forced to use.

Actually, your speculation is quite understandable. Next time you clear a abandoned site, pay attention to the time loss. It's in between 9-11 game hours, so your thoughts fit nicely with the time line. If my computer wasn't on the fritz, I would give you a "thanks for this post" & a "RED" point.

Not allowed from the mobile site I am forced to use.

I know the game well enough now, that I sometimes skip by these to do later, so that the time loss fits in. If he is urgently on a mission, I don't let him take his time to do these places.

I also like to picture that other things, like guarded treasure, isn't just something he ran into by accident, but that someone actually told him about it or he found out about it somehow. If it is a draconid I like to think it is another contract someone hired him to do, and there just happens to be some treasure there. You can fill in all kinds of story ideas behind the scenes, especially if there is time laps or you did a fast travel somewhere. "On his way to Crows Perch (fast travel) someone told Geralt of pirates terrorizing folk across the coast." Or, fast traveling from Skelliga to Velen I like to pick a spot where someone dropped him off by boat. On the way they were attacked by pirates and now Geralt is getting revenge on them along the coast.

Last edited:
you are absolutely right in this. Those monsters and abandoned sites are even now linked with the village notice boards, it would be much better if these were actually mentioned there precisely instead of some random stuff... like for example in White Orchard, there should be a notice about Mill area and the chapel being infested by the ghouls, or in Velen, in most villages you have some guarded treasure with strong monster - these could be also mentioned for traveler to "beware!"... maybe something to think about for CDPR, this stuff doesnt require too much actual work, just a text rework, and it would increase the game immersion a bit...

@tdwoods3 I am actually quite good with my imagination, I do something simular while reading. But you have raised imagination to a next level for me. Not once, while playing, have I ever thought that way. You have really opend me up to rethink things for my game playing. Not only for TW3, but for other games that do something simular like TW3.

@jj284b Good way of thinking, though I doubt that CDPR would re-write code to put this into play, but I like this idea. I would also like, for lack of better words, "clean up" your way of thinking about the notices. In the villages where some of these sites are close, the notices should read like the following:

GIANT MONSTER WITH HORNS LIKE A DEER

Beware travelers, there is a monster afoul in the woods near (Location put here) that is a giant. It also has horns like a deer. I also noticed that the son and daughter of ( I can't remember the fathers name actually, but I am sure all players know what I am leading up to) entering and leaving a place that was hastily rasied under roots of the tree on a hill. It also has 2 large doors that I saw the son lock. I do not know what is in there, but I have not seen the son venture to there in quite a few days. I am afeared something has happened to him, or his sister for that matter. Surely there must be some bave man that will dispatch this monster. We are but a poor village and there for cannot pay the brave sole to kill this horrible thing. But whatever this bave one finds beyond those doors could be payment enough.

Again, CDPR would not put this into code, but they could do this sometime after B&W is released. A junior code writer could put this into play in a few days time ( I am unsure if that is the proper amount of time, don't know how it works actually. I'm only guessing). But it would greatly improve players immersion into the game. This could also work to inform Geralt of abandoned villages, or of the worshipping location in White Orchard.

As you can see, I too have an imagination, but I thank again @tdwoods3 for the way of thinking for immersion into the game.

i dont think you need to change a code for this... just to edit some source text files and change the usual stuff these notice boards have for this more "specific" stuff.. even moders could do it if it was possible to edit/add new texts into game.

i dont think you need to change a code for this... just to edit some source text files and change the usual stuff these notice boards have for this more "specific" stuff.. even moders could do it if it was possible to edit/add new texts into game.

I'm sure it is true, for I am not versed in the game development & that was the only terminology I could think of at that time. I'm sure also that it could be done by modders. But it would not work on consoles. Though sometime soon XB1 owners will be allowed to mod. That is what I am waiting on.

@tdwoods3 I am actually quite good with my imagination, I do something simular while reading. But you have raised imagination to a next level for me. Not once, while playing, have I ever thought that way. You have really opend me up to rethink things for my game playing. Not only for TW3, but for other games that do something simular like TW3.

@jj284b Good way of thinking, though I doubt that CDPR would re-write code to put this into play, but I like this idea. I would also like, for lack of better words, "clean up" your way of thinking about the notices. In the villages where some of these sites are close, the notices should read like the following:

GIANT MONSTER WITH HORNS LIKE A DEER

Beware travelers, there is a monster afoul in the woods near (Location put here) that is a giant. It also has horns like a deer. I also noticed that the son and daughter of ( I can't remember the fathers name actually, but I am sure all players know what I am leading up to) entering and leaving a place that was hastily rasied under roots of the tree on a hill. It also has 2 large doors that I saw the son lock. I do not know what is in there, but I have not seen the son venture to there in quite a few days. I am afeared something has happened to him, or his sister for that matter. Surely there must be some bave man that will dispatch this monster. We are but a poor village and there for cannot pay the brave sole to kill this horrible thing. But whatever this bave one finds beyond those doors could be payment enough.

Again, CDPR would not put this into code, but they could do this sometime after B&W is released. A junior code writer could put this into play in a few days time ( I am unsure if that is the proper amount of time, don't know how it works actually. I'm only guessing). But it would greatly improve players immersion into the game. This could also work to inform Geralt of abandoned villages, or of the worshipping location in White Orchard.

As you can see, I too have an imagination, but I thank again @tdwoods3 for the way of thinking for immersion into the game.

Glad you like it, I have plenty of examples:

- I need a boat, but I can't just walk up and use a boat, someone says I can use their boat if I do 'X' -- this could be beating them a gwent, or taking a question mark location or something else. Since I know what all these places are now, it just gives me a reason to go do one or two of them and fit them into the story off camera.
- I'm looking for the trail of treats, but the quest tells me exactly where it is on the map. Instead I pretend I have no idea where it is and the guy saying there is a monster in the swamp will tell me where the shrine is if I kill it, along with paying me.
- I build weapons before I reach the level requirement and just pretend that they are not done making it until I reach the level requirement, then it is done.
- I didn't like the dialogue options with Triss and Yen about the mark on his face, so I just imagined they spoke about it off camera.
- On my last play through I did the romance thing with both Triss and Yen and they do the trick on Geralt. I walked back with Dandelion, then clicked to talk to him along the way, then split up after the conversation and went to the market. Just been trying to inject as much role playing and extra stuff as I can.

I think the developers could have injected a lot of this into the game, but it would have made it more rigid. The way they have it now, it allows you to fill in the blanks as you want. How you learned of the guarded treasure can be any way you make it fit best.

Top Bottom