And GWENT is uninstalled... sadly

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
What's sad is that the game was arguably too simple back then.......

Right? I remember being all up in arms when they dumbed down like 30 cards and removed a few mechanics at Midwinter... looking back on it I just think "what was i even upset about? At least the core gameplay was intact". Compared to Homecoming, Midwinter seems cute with the amount of simplification.

I get the feeling the Gwent hasn't lived up to CDPR's expectations for awhile now, so they feel they have to keep reducing the complexity of the game to appeal to a wider audience. Every major patch seems to focus on streamlining, but you have to stop removing features at some point. Gwent can't get anymore streamlined!

It bothers me a bit when people say "well at least Homecoming has a good foundation". Like we had more than just a good foundation before, we had the framework and the drywall up lol. Foundation is a step backwards. Having to wait forever for expansions to get the complexity we had in Beta isn't something to really be optimistic about.

I have found something that is really frustrating the heck out of me in this homecoming version. It seems like no matter what deck I craft, the opponent, in ranked, that I am matched with always has the counters in his deck for my deck. I was so frustrated I did what I hate doing, went to the net and created a net deck that is supposed to be so powerful. Started a match and the opponent had every counter they needed. I created a different faction deck and the same thing. Tried this with every faction and then rotated through them only to have no matter what deck/faction my opponent could counter me (and the counters were unique). So I thought, maybe it is the netdeck that everyone is building to counter so I created my own crazy deck and sure enough, counter after counter. I swear it really seems like they match people based on what is in their deck and the cards they have and not just randomly by rank.

Plus, on the Xbox it is insanely frustrating. Multiple issues:

1. Play a card with deploy ability that boosts a unit or damages an enemy and the default is to target my own cards. If you are not careful you can damage your own unit. I know there are some decks you want to but really, that should not be the default, it should be the enemy selected first instead of changing it. I know, very minor, but annoying if you play a damaging deck a lot.

2. NUMEROUS crashes, locks on the Xbox. Had one where I could view card details, scroll around the board, look at everything, call up the graveyard, but couldn't select a card to play, just highlighted it. Had to forfeit and I was winning, big time.

3. NUMEROUS lock ups where the screen would freeze, play weird stuttering audio and then throw you to the dashboard.

4. Thronebreaker, numerous crashes, locks, thrown to dashboard, etc. Happens a lot after a battle and you are going through the dialog after the battle is over. You then have to reload, which is a farther back checkpoint, re-trek there and re-do the battle. Very annoying.

5. Numerous design issues, like in Thronebreaker telling me I have something to do in the rest camp, only to find it is just I have enough to craft another card I don't want. But they don't tell you that and the exclamation point does not go away until you craft a card, making it pointless if you do have something good in there to do.

6. Sometimes there is a multi-minute wait as it tries to find a ranked match. Does not seem to depend on time of day as it has happened to me at a wide range of times. I just chalk this up to a lot of people no longer playing. Been so long at times I surf the internet on my phone while I am waiting.

7. One word Usurper. What a bad design choice. To put the cool effects into the leaders to help your decks and to completely build around that leader to have a single card completely ruin your entire deck synergies.

I know some of these are minor but when you start adding up a lot of minor stuff (a lot more not mentioned here), it starts to feel bad playing it and just annoying, not enjoyable.

Just my 2 cents.

I have found something that is really frustrating the heck out of me in this homecoming version. It seems like no matter what deck I craft, the opponent, in ranked, that I am matched with always has the counters in his deck for my deck. I was so frustrated I did what I hate doing, went to the net and created a net deck that is supposed to be so powerful. Started a match and the opponent had every counter they needed. I created a different faction deck and the same thing. Tried this with every faction and then rotated through them only to have no matter what deck/faction my opponent could counter me (and the counters were unique). So I thought, maybe it is the netdeck that everyone is building to counter so I created my own crazy deck and sure enough, counter after counter. I swear it really seems like they match people based on what is in their deck and the cards they have and not just randomly by rank.

Plus, on the Xbox it is insanely frustrating. Multiple issues:

1. Play a card with deploy ability that boosts a unit or damages an enemy and the default is to target my own cards. If you are not careful you can damage your own unit. I know there are some decks you want to but really, that should not be the default, it should be the enemy selected first instead of changing it. I know, very minor, but annoying if you play a damaging deck a lot.

2. NUMEROUS crashes, locks on the Xbox. Had one where I could view card details, scroll around the board, look at everything, call up the graveyard, but couldn't select a card to play, just highlighted it. Had to forfeit and I was winning, big time.

3. NUMEROUS lock ups where the screen would freeze, play weird stuttering audio and then throw you to the dashboard.

4. Thronebreaker, numerous crashes, locks, thrown to dashboard, etc. Happens a lot after a battle and you are going through the dialog after the battle is over. You then have to reload, which is a farther back checkpoint, re-trek there and re-do the battle. Very annoying.

5. Numerous design issues, like in Thronebreaker telling me I have something to do in the rest camp, only to find it is just I have enough to craft another card I don't want. But they don't tell you that and the exclamation point does not go away until you craft a card, making it pointless if you do have something good in there to do.

6. Sometimes there is a multi-minute wait as it tries to find a ranked match. Does not seem to depend on time of day as it has happened to me at a wide range of times. I just chalk this up to a lot of people no longer playing. Been so long at times I surf the internet on my phone while I am waiting.

7. One word Usurper. What a bad design choice. To put the cool effects into the leaders to help your decks and to completely build around that leader to have a single card completely ruin your entire deck synergies.

I know some of these are minor but when you start adding up a lot of minor stuff (a lot more not mentioned here), it starts to feel bad playing it and just annoying, not enjoyable.

Just my 2 cents.

And you didn't even mention how premiums don't work on console.

I keep coming back to this topic each week to see how things are going.

So hasnt there been any official statement about what is going on with Gwent (its derelict state)?

This very topic is the most active in their official foruns (40k views in 3 months)....

I can only think of two variables to why you're struggling so much. One being you're between Rank 1 and 5 with a crazy amount of MMR, and you keep getting outmatched; somehow I find that completely unlikely, but a seemly explanation. Second option is you need to work on your critical thinking skills. You need to examine what your opponents are playing and think hard on what each opponent brings to the table. Look at what is similar, not what is different. I've noticed almost everyone that I play that wins the first round, hands off the second round to draw more cards hoping with more information, their opponent will give up the hand advantage they gave them during the first round. My solution to this was to play more bombs, and less utility. I focused on forcing my opponent to commit more to the first round, and having additional strategy so I could play back to back rounds aggressively as most players in my MMR aren't accustom to playing to the board back to back it seemed.

Another issue I had was heavy ping. It was my bane as I started to play, and is still an extremely hard matchup. I've only been playing three days, and I have an NG list that splits resources between spies, and reveal giving me two engines to play through several rounds consistently. The original list did great for a while, but as soon as I started getting match with Cripple players, I got slaughtered, and it only got worse if they play a Sihil. I crafted a bomb thrower, added in a few lock abilities, and what do you know. I started beating those Cripple players. If you're going to play ranked, you have to learn how to read the meta, and plan your decks accordingly. I've struggled with ranked in games in the past, and I don't usually get to high ranks, but this trial and error lead me to learning the nature of what playing in a meta means.

It bothers me a bit when people say "well at least Homecoming has a good foundation". Like we had more than just a good foundation before, we had the framework and the drywall up lol. Foundation is a step backwards. Having to wait forever for expansions to get the complexity we had in Beta isn't something to really be optimistic about.

I've only been playing for three days. Don't have the experience of beta to spoil me, so from my perspective, the game is fantastic. I've played Magic, Yugioh, Duelyst, and Shadowverse all on a relatively competitive level with the physical games I went so far as to travel to different states to play in large events. From what I can tell, this is a mostly polished game with a few caveats that I'd personally suggest. The biggest thing that I can tell is that there isn't a single card in the game that costs less than 4 "bread(?)". This I'm assuming is so that it's hard to pack tons of neutral "good stuff" in your deck, but I think this has created an adverse effect as I'm slowly seeing certain neutrals that are in basically everyone's deck. (The witcher trio, and Roach as a perfect example).

The second is I'd make 0'd out units remain targetable by effects in play until said effects are completed. It might seem like I'm picking on the Cripple in the post, but hear me out. Cripple's order states that it deals 8 RANDOM damage. If 0'd units are excluded from that 8 damage, then we can consistently count on 8 damage being removed from our opponent, and the random element is null and void as we play to overpower our opponent with ping. This is a fairly major change to how randomized damage works, and I think would be a proper nerf to the faction, but I think it would open up design space as a keyword, and respects the definition of the word itself.

Now, on to my thoughts that mostly counter what everyone else says.

I'd say this change is a decision to protect the longevity of the game. You got to experience a treat to know what the game will likely come to be in the future. After two or so expansions, the game will likely re-explore that complexity, and hopefully re-interest you. If they kept everything how it was, the only answer is powercreep. I can't imagine they thought of it in those terms, but I personally think managing powercreep in any card game is the key to keeping a game healthy.

I understand that I'm a voice of positivity in a sea of negativity, but if the current version of the game is considered boring then I personally look forward to the future because I love the game so far. I think the complexity mostly relies on your own critical thinking skills atm rather than convoluted effects, which is a great space for the game to be in. If things are more simple, and people are complaining it's HARDER to win, then I think as developer's they did their job.

I'd say this change is a decision to protect the longevity of the game. You got to experience a treat to know what the game will likely come to be in the future. After two or so expansions, the game will likely re-explore that complexity, and hopefully re-interest you. If they kept everything how it was, the only answer is powercreep. [...] If things are more simple, and people are complaining it's HARDER to win, then I think as developer's they did their job.

Not when they've irrevocably antagonize their player base with nonsensical decisions never before seen in the history of gaming (scraping a 2 year long Beta, transforming it into something substantially different and then saying: ITS LAUNCHED!).

We've been talking about these things for months now in this topic. The majority of the hardcore player base, social media trenders, streamers and so on did not left the game because HC is horrifically bad. It is NOT a bad game. For me it is average. It is just waaaaaaay worse than what we had before and for what we, as a community, worked for 2 years to improve providing constant and passionate feedback. We've all left because we feel cheated and hurt and we do not recognise this game as the Gwent we've loved and played for 2 years for hundreds of hours. No amazing expansion (if there will be any) will ever changed that, at least for me. I dont intend on installing this new "Gwent" again and I'm sure most here will feel the same. Besides, CDPR never actually showed great interest welcoming that feedback and almost always had their way, as they've did when announced HC. People were overwhelmingly skeptic about most changes and they've kept their tabs about several others which we only knew about a week before launch.

They've did the exact opposite of protecting the longevity of the game. They've put a death mark on its head. Player base tanked hard, streamers are GONE, and we keep on having CDPR PR silent treatment (pushing forwards as if everything is alrighty) and i wont give another year until they announce (or dont) stop developing the game and/or shutting it down.

With this scenario, it is easy to see how nonsensical your last sentence is. This "gwent" is not harder to win. Its harder to PLAY and harder to get FUN PLAYING. And by "doing their jobs" they've killed the game.

EDIT:
But what i actually find interesting is the lack of media coverage of this MASSIVE screw up by one of the most acclaimed gaming developers. It was already clear that CDPR were the darlings of videogames and that the VG press loved them dearly. Imagine if this would happen with any of the hated companies like activision or EA? All hell would have broke lose. But with CDPR...*silence*. For me, a former CDPR fanboy like almost everyone was, this was a eye opener and i'm holding on to my skepticism about CP2077. The gameplay video did not impressed me and the driving sections were incredibly awkward.

Last edited:
(....)
But what i actually find interesting is the lack of media coverage of this MASSIVE screw up by one of the most acclaimed gaming developers. It was already clear that CDPR were the darlings of videogames and that the VG press loved them dearly. Imagine if this would happen with any of the hated companies like activision or EA? All hell would have broke lose. But with CDPR...*silence*. For me, a former CDPR fanboy like almost everyone was, this was a eye opener and i'm holding on to my skepticism about CP2077. The gameplay video did not impressed me and the driving sections were incredibly awkward.

Witcher 3 and a mountain of money earned on it made them feel like gods who are doomed to success. But remember, they did not invent anything here, the Witcher Universe was created by Sapkowski. They bought his stories and characters. Of course, in accordance with the law. And I have to give it to them with respect that they quite cleverly turned Sapkowski's world into amazing Witcher 3. In the case of Gwent, Damien Monnier, as he admitted himself, at the beginning was inspired by Condotierre. As long as they held on to it, in the time of closed and open beta, things went quite smoothly. The problem appeared only when they decided to release their own game, unplayable hc. We got the quite effective packaging but inside there was crap. There was no interesting content.
CP2077 is also to be a proprietary project of cdprojekt , so time will tell. I personally, after hc disappointment, do not intend to place for it even one broken Novigrad crown at the bookmaker.
As for "the silence". There was time to explain hc things to us. They could try to convince us of their brand new game but apparently they just do not care about us. Ok.

Last edited:
As for "the silence". There was time to explain hc things to us. They could try to convince us of their brand new game but apparently they just do not care about us. Ok.

They had time but they clearly intended to keep things under tabs until the very release not to jeopardize the release of TB. The very PTR of HC was nothing of a real PTR. They knew ppl wouldn't like it and thats why they've heavily limited the info regarding it. For example, when they announced HC burza never publicly acknowledge the suppression of a row as a fact but something that "they were thinking about it". Bullcrap. At that time they already knew EXACTLY what they were doing or otherwise they wouldn't had time to implemented. And i truly suspect that HC was in the works much earlier than that.

CDPR idea of feedback has always been like this since the beginning of CB: "hey we want to do this." - community says "dont because blabla. fix this and do this instead". *2 or 3 months later....* CDPR does what they said they would with occasional minor inputs from the community. Gwent fails (midwinter, HC...) and the community rages, ppl leave, gwent is dead on "release".

But still, nothing of this explain why major videogame media outlets have not picked up this incredible fail. It was something that passed by. Are their glasses all tinted by CDPR fanboyism?

Last edited:
I also was thinking about the media cloud around Homecoming and why no one pointed it as one of the big a failures of the year. One thing I can think of is that this is because most of the media was looking at Thronebreaker as a game and Homecoming as a small tiny thing next to it, while in the same time Bethesda, Grapeshop and ActiBlizzard were racing for the prize of who's the biggest idiotic imbecile on the market.

Also, Gwent never grew into a big thing to begin with. I think even in Beta no journalist was actually paying attention to it. And it is not like CDPR did not (sorta) tried - events in castles and mines and whatsoever, brought nothing like a mainstream attention towards the product. Makes me think that their PR department is the one that is really to blame here... or maybe it was the plan all along. But why sink all of those money than? I honestly have no idea.

I also was thinking about the media cloud around Homecoming and why no one pointed it as one of the big a failures of the year. One thing I can think of is that this is because most of the media was looking at Thronebreaker as a game and Homecoming as a small tiny thing next to it, while in the same time Bethesda, Grapeshop and ActiBlizzard were racing for the prize of who's the biggest idiotic imbecile on the market.

hmm... silnce in media shows that CDPR r illuminati or something lol
U "gwent is dead, bring beta back, HC76 etc." guys post so many posts where u speak as a whole or most part of the community that u played yourself i now U think that nobody enjoys HC

to all who enjoys HC - leave this thread to them whining boys and let them play in this "mud"of negativity

Also, Gwent never grew into a big thing to begin with. I think even in Beta no journalist was actually paying attention to it. And it is not like CDPR did not (sorta) tried - events in castles and mines and whatsoever, brought nothing like a mainstream attention towards the product. Makes me think that their PR department is the one that is really to blame here... or maybe it was the plan all along. But why sink all of those money than? I honestly have no idea.
Exactly, CCGs are not a big market and Gwent is only a small Part of that, so not a lot of people care if anything happens. Even Artifact did not get much of an outrage.
I think this is one of the reasons why HC76 fails so bad, it trys to get to the mainstream audience, but the mainstream audience does not care for card games. And in doing that they angered the card game fans.

Edit: On a sidenote, it is hilarious how many people get triggered by the term "HC76"

Last edited:
U "gwent is dead, bring beta back, HC76 etc." guys post so many posts where u speak as a whole or most part of the community that u played yourself i now U think that nobody enjoys HC

to all who enjoys HC - leave this thread to them whining boys and let them play in this "mud"of negativity
You are looking at the tree and missing the forest - there was no media buzz even Gwent was cool. It's like this game does not exist. But now it does not exist even more.

They had time but they clearly intended to keep things under tabs until the very release not to jeopardize the release of TB.

But still, nothing of this explain why major videogame media outlets have not picked up this incredible fail. It was something that passed by. Are their glasses all tinted by CDPR fanboyism?

Let's not get too tinfoilhatty here. I am no fanboy of anyone and I dislike HC, also I work in the industry (and I hate to play expert card but I really do it in good faith for your benefit).

To reduce your CDPR timeline argument to basics is to say they spent countless man-hours to deliberately sabotage the game while keeping said sabotage secret not to ruin the release of loosely related (and excellent on it's own merits) game. While I usually go for malicious in malicious or incompetent dilemma as explanation for someone's actions (especially when concerning politicians and social media corporations), it is clearly not the right choice here, so much time was spent on HC and no one has in their interest to sabotage a functioning online game.

Now for the media coverage, the subject that pushed me to reply here. I assure you there is no conspiracy to cover up CDPR Gwent mess (maybe there is after all but it's not the main reason for this situation).

Might sound weird to you but not that many people care about Gwent, it is and always was just one of many high-budget major studio attempts to chip a small chunk of Hearthstone's profit (also rans TES Legend, Artifact...). Before it was released you could rarely find any news about it. Even the Pretty Good Gaming, Youtube commentators that are certainly biggest CDPR fanboys in what you can call "game journalism" mentioned Gwent once or twice while having 10+ long videos on the topic of Cyberpunk 2077 game we knew nothing about then. There are only 5 reviews on Metacritic, most non-English. It's not like it was on the spotlight and that spotlight was suddenly averted.

This may also sound weird but Gwent is objectively pretty good game, not excellent but at worst mediocre. Still the most generous and most beautiful CCG. And while core of the game was potentially better in beta, we veteran hardcore players see it way better than anyone else, those few game journalists that bother to pay attention to game at all included. Situation is really too nuanced even on terms you and I agree with, not to mention still sizable chunk of the Gwent playerbase that actually prefers the changes.

Online game journalism is driven mostly by clicks and paper game journalism is now mostly sickly Siamese twin of the online editions. Given the overall interest even the headlines you are suggesting "Community darling CDPR sabotages ambitious CCG megaproject" would grab a few eyeballs, and no one would actually publish it that ways, since it is in essence not true. Real story is "CDPR makes insignificant CCG marginally worse in final version" and no one would read that.

As for the subjective angle even if there were a journalistic hardcore base of Gwent fans, not that many game journalists are famous enough to grab anyone's attention, maybe a dozen or so. Even if some associate of the high profile publication was willing to write a deep piece about lack of merit of hand limit or how he got burned by scrap refund and Premium change it would still be a highly subjective, highly detailed and highly complex piece about a game no one cares about by some journalist no one cares about either, and no editor in their right mind would actually give space let alone fee for something like that.

So besides death and taxes three more things are certain 1) CDPR didn't deliberately sabotage Gwent 2) Journalists didn't decide to cover it up for the sake of fanboyism 3) Gwent was never going be new Hearthstone and any player, developer or journalist who thought otherwise was deluded

But what i actually find interesting is the lack of media coverage of this MASSIVE screw up by one of the most acclaimed gaming developers. It was already clear that CDPR were the darlings of videogames and that the VG press loved them dearly.

The answer is really simple and you kinda explained it yourself:

Imagine if this would happen with any of the hated companies like activision or EA? All hell would have broke lose.

Everyone's been very busy slapping Blizzard (don't you guys have phones?), Bethesda (Fail 76), EA (Womenfield 5) and even Valve (first game in years, and it's buy to pay to play with loads of RNG), so CDPR slipped by. Besides, Gwent wasn't so huge compared to the other titles.

Another reason is Thronebreaker. Even despite the bugs and easy battles, the game is really good. In fact, TB was the thing that helped me to transition from Gwent to Homecoming.

You are looking at the tree and missing the forest - there was no media buzz even Gwent was cool. It's like this game does not exist. But now it does not exist even more.

Because they didn't want to spend money on marketing before reworking the game to please a wider audience. And I believe after HC was out CDPR finally understood that a wider potential audience doesn't mean they get to have more players. So they will try changing the game again (this is basically confirmed by the fact they changed the game director) before promoting it further.

Last edited:
1) CDPR didn't deliberately sabotage Gwent 2) Journalists didn't decide to cover it up for the sake of fanboyism 3) Gwent was never going be new Hearthstone and any player, developer or journalist who thought otherwise was deluded

Thanks for your great post @SrdjanB.

I might have not explained properly some of my points.
1 - I'm not saying they've deliberatly sabotaged Gwent. They've just concealed the magnitude of the changes because they were expecting backfire and their main focus was, clearly TB.
2 and 3 - While i do recognize that gwent is indeed small and could have gone unnoticed, there is clearly a fanboyism attitude in several media outlets regarding CDPR and rightly so because what they made with Witcher was incredible. I follow PGG for a couple of years now and they represent exactly what I mean. Despite that, I believe what happened with Gwent is unprecedented and almost as serious as what EPIC has done with Paragon - a process which I've followed closely since my brother played it from the start of beta, just as I have with Gwent.

Other than that, your points are valid and I thank you for them. I'm always glad to hear from ppl inside the business and you shouldnt be afraid to say so.

... So they will try changing the game again (this is basically confirmed by the fact they replaced the game director and the lead GD) before promoting it further.

There are many indicators telling us that gwent is not doing that well.

Someone pointed out the gogstats page of gwent earlier in this thread and it just seems to keep going down, and the whole graph would look much worse because the information about the initial backlash is already lost.

Another thing we can look at are the gog reviews, which went from mostly positive to be split, half positive half negative. Seems like a significant portion of the community disliked the changes, but lets take a look at some other numbers.

We can look at the reddit subscribers, which isn't definitive either but it's also an indicator. On march of this year they were the card game subreddit with most followers, without counting hearthstone of course (redditmetrics stopped working at february-march of this year). If we check the leaderboard now, while I'm writing this the subscriber count is at:

1- Magic Arena (83.500) - most growth this year
2- Gwent (70.700)
3- Artifact (55.000) - second with most growth this year
4- Elder scrolls legends (23.600) - these poor guys aren't doing much

So Magic Arena was the one with the most growth among these followed by Artifact, which seems to be catching up slowly too so this gimmick they made changing the game didn't seem to be effective at all.

Add to all the things above that they said that thronebreaker didn't perform as well as they expected and it did seem like a bad move.

My guess is that they didn't get that many new players and, in exchange, they made unhappy/lost a significant amount of the most loyal players they had.

Of course we don't speak for everyone but, with the information we have, it seems like a big enough part of the community didn't like the changes, and they are right, specially the ones who paid to support a game they liked to get it switched for a product that, for them, has less value. When you invest money and time on a game you like you expect them to keep that product alive.

There are many indicators telling us that gwent is not doing that well.

Someone pointed out the gogstats page of gwent earlier in this thread and it just seems to keep going down, and the whole graph would look much worse because the information about the initial backlash is already lost.

Another thing we can look at are the gog reviews, which went from mostly positive to be split, half positive half negative. Seems like a significant portion of the community disliked the changes, but lets take a look at some other numbers.

We can look at the reddit subscribers, which isn't definitive either but it's also an indicator. On march of this year they were the card game subreddit with most followers, without counting hearthstone of course (redditmetrics stopped working at february-march of this year). If we check the leaderboard now, while I'm writing this the subscriber count is at:

1- Magic Arena (83.500) - most growth this year
2- Gwent (70.700)
3- Artifact (55.000) - second with most growth this year
4- Elder scrolls legends (23.600) - these poor guys aren't doing much

So Magic Arena was the one with the most growth among these followed by Artifact, which seems to be catching up slowly too so this gimmick they made changing the game didn't seem to be effective at all.

Add to all the things above that they said that thronebreaker didn't perform as well as they expected and it did seem like a bad move.

My guess is that they didn't get that many new players and, in exchange, they made unhappy/lost a significant amount of the most loyal players they had.

Of course we don't speak for everyone but, with the information we have, it seems like a big enough part of the community didn't like the changes, and they are right, specially the ones who paid to support a game they liked to get it switched for a product that, for them, has less value. When you invest money and time on a game you like you expect them to keep that product alive.
Additionally Gwents Twitch viewership on average is as low as it last was in closed beta

Thanks for your great post @SrdjanB.

I might have not explained properly some of my points.
1 - I'm not saying they've deliberatly sabotaged Gwent. They've just concealed the magnitude of the changes because they were expecting backfire and their main focus was, clearly TB.
2 and 3 - While i do recognize that gwent is indeed small and could have gone unnoticed, there is clearly a fanboyism attitude in several media outlets regarding CDPR and rightly so because what they made with Witcher was incredible. I follow PGG for a couple of years now and they represent exactly what I mean. Despite that, I believe what happened with Gwent is unprecedented and almost as serious as what EPIC has done with Paragon - a process which I've followed closely since my brother played it from the start of beta, just as I have with Gwent.

Other than that, your points are valid and I thank you for them. I'm always glad to hear from ppl inside the business and you shouldnt be afraid to say so.

You are welcome. Sorry if I misrepresented something you said, while I certainly didn't do so deliberately or maliciously I may have read to much in it (magnitude wise). Still think it is important to stay clear of anything resembling conspiratorial view since it subtracts from valid criticism people, including you, have so far wrote.

1) Still I doubt it was their intention, they could have phased it in if they were legitimately scared of backlash. Backlash certainly did came btw and in magnitude I for one didn't expect even though I condone it completely. But even so TB got of real good, so firstly I doubt they could foresee this amount of backlash (and I doubt even more they wouldn't take some in-game steps to preempt it) and I doubt they could have thought backlash in the way they saw it could endanger TB.

2) You are subjective because you are invested and that is OK. This is no where near Paragon, not to mention various other greedy or idiotic or both decisions developers have made in recent past. I am pretty sure fanboyism comes with brutally high expectations and sense of betrayal if those expectations aren't met. If CDPR fails to deliver in any title anyone actually cares about like Cyberpunk, expect many many "you were the chosen one" 0 out of 5 stars reviews from the same people that lionize them now.

All that aside as one wise man once said CDPR are simply wrong studio to make CCG, I would also add that we were wrong to urge them on. They can't shoot at the moving target well and situation wasn't going their way since the beginning. They should stay in their lane and not waste expertise on side projects out of said lane, you don't ask Paradox Studios to make first person shooter.

I only wanted to add weight to my claim I know how game journalism thing works in general and in this particular case, but I try to avoid argument from authority since it is generally wrong and people don't believe you on the internet when you try to use it rightly to back up something then don't agree with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom