B&W Patch 1.21 CTD and GPU Not Detected, Reboot Required

+
B&W Patch 1.21 CTD and GPU Not Detected, Reboot Required

Okay so I've been experiencing this for some time after patch 1.21. The game crashed to desktop, and after that my GPU wasn't detected, so I need to reboot my system.

The thing is, I recently overclocked my GTX 970, and even though it's been stable after few hours stress test with MSI Kombustor, this got me worried. There is no problem whatsoever at first, and I was able to play for more than 5 hours before the first crash. This is my very first attempt on overclocking. The ctd is getting more random and more frequent, even though I already turned down my oc twice from the last crashing point.

Anybody else experiencing this too? Any chance that this happened because the unstable oc? Any other reason maybe? Lack of power?

And for a note, there is no message whatsoever from NVIDIA Display Driver after the crash. Only once if I remembered correctly.

i5 4690
MSI GTX 970 4GD5T OC (200Mhz core, 320Mhz memory, and I turned it down to 190Mhz core, 290Mhz memory, my current setting which crashed only once thus far)
8GB RAM
520 W Seasonic M12II-520

I have 10 fans total in my system, 8 of them runs full power all the time, 2 HDD, one AIO Kraken X31. Just to give you a picture of my power consumption.

What is the sign of lack of power supply in terms of overclocked gpu?

Thank you for your help

Default your bios changes after the overclocking. (So no overclocking)

I do not know what kind of fans to you have.

A fan can consume from 2W until 6W depending the fan. You have 10!

If you make the math: 6x10=60 Watt. (so 60 watt more)

So, disconnect all your fans, except the CPU fan of course.

Lower your CPU speed to it's original state.

Keep your case open for a while.

Reseat your GPU and install it to an different PCI-E slot.

Disable from your BIOS your CPU graphics accelerator. (So the Intel HD 4600)

Fire your computer, and monitor your temps with HW Monitor: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Hey mark, thank you for your response. Appreciate it very much.

I have 2 noctua 140mm NF-P14, 2 80mm standard cheap fans, 3 120mm standard cheap fans, and 1 cooler master rear exhaust fan included with my case. Those are the fans that runs 100% all the time. The rest is 120mm NZXT fan from the X31, and the fan from my cooler master hyper 103 cpu cooler, which I forgot the size.

My CPU and mobo is locked, and is on stock speed. As for my temps, I think they are quite okay, my CPU temp never went above 55C, and my GPU temp is still below my temperature limit, which hover around 70C without air conditioner. The hottest being 76C, and that is after a very long session on a hot day.

I think I'll try disabling my intel graphics, my previous setting was using the CPU graphics for PhysX.

Well, don't use the CPU for PhysX, Either let the drivers decide the appropriate hardware for that (i thing that's the default)

or choose PhysX through your GPU.

Also for the time being leave you GPU at it's default factory overclock speeds.

The Witcher 3 is a very demanding game,especially if you use Nvidia's Hairworks features (preset)

--------

I assume u use the Kraken X31 120mm as a CPU cooling system.
What's the Cooler master Hyper 103 for?

Last edited:
I changed the setting for PhysX and also disabled my intel graphics from the bios, let's see how this works out. And there's also the new patch, I hope that would help fixing the problem. I used to play without crash on the some of the previous patches, and that's with the hairworks on. The only thing that I did was just that the oc thing, along with the release of B&W and patch 1.21.

I'm using the kraken X31 with a kraken G10 bracket to replace my stock gpu cooler, and the hyper 103 for the cpu. There's no way I'll be able to have a 70C temp with the stock cooler. It reached 78C easily and that's before I switched to a 1080p monitor. My old one was 1600x900

Ak OK that makes sense. I thought u use the Kraken X31 CPU setup liquid cooling.

Well, you made a lot of work here! It seems you have quite high room temperatures, for doing such a built.

As that is sort of an after market build, you should place some aluminum heatsinks on your GPUs VRMs too.

VRM has to handle the load. This is very important when overclocking. Otherwise you can end up with a burnt capacitor!

Here is a video that shows how: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm5x54r-Wdk

This was just an experiment at first, because the GPU throttled really bad with the stock cooler, which led me to tried installing a G10. I live in a place where it's mostly summer all year.

Now that got me curious, do you know the symptoms of overheating vrm? And I mean before it gets really bad and burnt. I asked the same question before, and was trying to find the info on the net but there seems to be no sure answer. I already have three fans blowing directly at the GPU's pcb

Your VRMs could been overheating if you overclock to much your GPU.

That makes the GPU to throttle it's clocks, for not damaging the card!

If you thing that your ambient temperature is to high, that your case fans doesn't cool your components sufficiently,
i wouldn't overclock the card at all.

However, a temperature of 76[SUP]o[/SUP]C on load is completely acceptable for an game like The Witcher 3.

If you want to decrease your temperatures even further, you could try to increase the fan speed,
but i don't thing you need to.

Your temperature will obviously go up when you're using your GPU at full load. That's normal.
And you shouldn't experiencing any crashes from those temps, as the maximum GPU Temperature for this chip is 98[SUP]o[/SUP]C

Have you crashes in other games as well?
If not, it may be some conflict with the game!

---------

Or you could go in the first place, with a GPU with an more advanced cooling system.
The Gigabyte Gaming G1 for example.

This GPU uses the WINDFORCE 3X cooling system, that's very efficient as a cooling system.

And according to this: http://www.overclock.net/t/1516121/gtx-970-comparison-strix-vs-msi-gaming-vs-gigabyte-g1

this GPU has the...
- Most effective cooling solution (especially when it comes to VRM section of the board)
- Best air cooled solution

Last edited:
Top Bottom