Benchmark/demo petition before game launching

+
I vote for a simple benchmark for those who want to see exactly how well their computer will perform with this game.

Doing this will give CDPR less time to optimize and concentrate on what really matters, making the game better. So i vote no.

I vote for a simple benchmark for those who want to see exactly how well their computer will perform with this game.

A "simple benchmark" for an open world game with tons of possible different situations? Good luck with that.

TW3 is not a corridor shooter.

I still think offering the prologue as a free demo would be the most customer-friendly and honest way to give interested gamers both an insight how the game looks and plays and a possible benchmark for their systems. An approach like that would really be a great fit to CDPR's overall gamer friendly philosophy if you ask me. I'm actually quite astonished that some people are against something like that...

And I don't think that offering the prologue (maybe 2-3 hours) as a free demo would interfere with their efforts for the best possible optimization of the game. It's very likely not THAT difficult to make such a demo. They'd just have to release a version of the game with only the prologue location included and a simple "end demo = buy the game if you like what you've seen and played" screen. Best option would be if we could re-use our savegames from the demo for the final game which shouldn't be a big effort neither.

Last edited:
A "simple benchmark" for an open world game with tons of possible different situations? Good luck with that.

Well BENCHMARKS are always worst case scenario "demos", so for TW3 it would be the heaviest possible
load on the system. Lets say a heavy crowded area with all the features activated.
Some fighting action to... should do ;)

Should pretty much bench the shit out of every system out there XD XD
via certain option you can give out for that "worst" case, you just can test how TW3 would scale on your
system. Thats what benchmarks are made for.

I'm all for a benchmarking tool. I am actually one of those people who does not want a demo. Especially if it will be the prologue. I don't want to experience the beginning of the game via a demo. Think about it, designers work so hard to create that "beginning feeling", trying to make it as impactful as they can, and then you experience that using a demo and the magic is gone when you actually get the game. Thanks, but no thanks. I would be more than happy with a benchmarking tool.

Well BENCHMARKS are always worst case scenario "demos", so for TW3 it would be the heaviest possible
load on the system. Lets say a heavy crowded area with all the features activated.
Some fighting action to... should do ;)

Creating such a scenario just for a benchmark is probably much more work than just releasing the prologue as a free demo...

I'm all for a benchmarking tool. I am actually one of those people who does not want a demo. Especially if it will be the prologue. I don't want to experience the beginning of the game via a demo. Think about it, designers work so hard to create that "beginning feeling", trying to make it as impactful as they can, and then you experience that using a demo and the magic is gone when you actually get the game. Thanks, but no thanks. I would be more than happy with a benchmarking tool.
Sorry, I don't understand that. Why is the magic gone? If properly implemented you should be able to re-use your savegame from the demo for the final game so you won't have to start all over again. You could just play the very beginning of the game for free and then decide if you want to pay for the rest.

Last edited:
I don't want to "take a break" after playing the prologue, and then come back continuing the game. So if they released a demo like that before the game, I will most probably play the prologue all over again, to have the continuity. When I'm reading a book for example, I don't take a break after I just read the prologue. A story driven game like Witcher is exactly like that for me. If I am going to stop playing and close the game, I would wait for a moment that is trivial; a moment that I know for sure there will not be any important progress through the story (Which I believe the prologue will most definitely have right when it ends.)

These are my personal feelings and preferences @Scholdarr, I'm not trying to convince you or anything :) (Or I don't need getting convinced, for that matter).

Edit: Of course if there is an option for people who want a demo, I'm not against that. I won't be using it anyway, so why would I care? But I can get why they wouldn't want to release such a thing.

Creating such a scenario just for a benchmark is probably much more work than just releasing the prologue as a free demo...
I was thinking about the camera going through the most crowded areas of the game like Novigrad, maybe some really frantic combat if they have the time. I could be wrong, maybe it would be much more work than just releasing the prologue, just seems like a simple thing to have a camera flying about

Last edited:
Benchmark/Demos are a waste of time and other resources for the company.

A short demo not will show how a game truly is if the game is so big and complex like witcher 3. It only work with arcade casual games that has a repetitive mechanic; like a fighting or race game.

A Benchmark is unnecessary out of the game, we already know the system requirements, now if you meet the minimum requirement for the top requirement.
The Benchmark will help you to know, how can handle, you pc the game with different options, and this still possible in-game, so if you aren't a maniac of pc components, this is a waste of time.

You already know the system requirements, so, why the fuck you wanna to waste the time of CDPR ?

You already know the system requirements, so, why the fuck you wanna to waste the time of CDPR ?

Yeah, the magical system requirements. You mean those "recommended" requirements which tells almost nothing because nobody really knows for which exact settings and framerate they are recommended in the end? You mean those requirements which were almost released although the game is still in development and optimization? You mean those requirements which were so accurate in the past for other games?

Yeah, system requirements. Often they aren't worth the paper or space they're written on, sorry. I only believe the "real deal", the actual game in motion on my very system. Everything else can be just - words.

Also a demo doesn't have to "represent" the whole game. It should raise additional interest, especially for new players who haven't played a Witcher game before (like some Playstation guys for example). I think of it more like a trial whether you like the basic concepts of the game and it looks and feels or not. That you could use it as a benchmark on PC would just be the icing on the cake. May I remember you that it is one of the BAD elements of modern gaming that people have to buy games before they can play them for at least a few minutes for themselves? It's like buying a car without testing it before. Of course I know that this is the standard for gaming today but shouldn't CDPR be BETTER than that? I think they have enough time to make something like that possible. It's also illusionary to think that 100% of the staff at CDPR is working on optimization of the game so there is no real conflict of interests here.

Last edited:
Benchmark/Demos are a waste of time and other resources for the company.

A short demo not will show how a game truly is if the game is so big and complex like witcher 3. It only work with arcade casual games that has a repetitive mechanic; like a fighting or race game.

A Benchmark is unnecessary out of the game, we already know the system requirements, now if you meet the minimum requirement for the top requirement.
The Benchmark will help you to know, how can handle, you pc the game with different options, and this still possible in-game, so if you aren't a maniac of pc components, this is a waste of time.

Can you tell me exactly what hardware you need to run this game at 60 fps @ 1080p using ultra settings and 4x MSAA (excluding ubersampling) ? of course the hardware above recommended specs will run better but my question is exactly what for this performance ? that's where a benchmark tool proves useful where you can change in game settings and judge your machine's ability.

An out door scene with good bit of distant sightings, vegetation, several NPCs, fire or rain effects leading to a faster fight scene or horse riding scene will give good estimation of what you need to run this game well at your desired quality and performance level.

It's not a waste of time, end of story.

I'm all in for a benchmark. I wonder though how difficult would be to make one. A word from developers would be welcomed.

Yeah, the magical system requirements. You mean those "recommended" requirements which tells almost nothing because nobody really knows for which exact settings and framerate they are recommended in the end? You mean those requirements which were almost released although the game is still in development and optimization? You mean those requirements which were so accurate in the past for other games?

Yeah, system requirements. Often they aren't worth the paper or space they're written on, sorry. I only believe the "real deal", the actual game in motion on my very system. Everything else can be just - words.

Also a demo doesn't have to "represent" the whole game. It should raise additional interest, especially for new players who haven't played a Witcher game before (like some Playstation guys for example). I think of it more like a trial whether you like the basic concepts of the game and it looks and feels or not. That you could use it as a benchmark on PC would just be the icing on the cake. May I remember you that it is one of the BAD elements of modern gaming that people have to buy games before they can play them for at least a few minutes for themselves? It's like buying a car without testing it before. Of course I know that this is the standard for gaming today but shouldn't CDPR be BETTER than that? I think they have enough time to make something like that possible. It's also illusionary to think that 100% of the staff at CDPR is working on optimization of the game so there is no real conflict of interests here.

There won't be demo, the CDPR stated it multiple times. I can imagine only one way though, for thoose who pre-purchased on GOG.com. The waiting for this game is so painfull but I don't need demo at all, because I want to experience the game when it is full not as a demo.

Unless a benchmark or demo is already on their schedule, adding it to the task list will just get in the way of optimization and whatever else they've already planned. So if that's the case, then no thank you. Stick to the schedule.

But if a benchmark is already on the list it'd be quite welcome.

Demo, I'm pretty sure there won't be one. I prefer that time and resources to be spent on the actual game.
As for a benchmark, if they already have one in development or is scheduled to be implemented, it would be nice, but it's not crucial.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, there are certain kinds of discussion you shouldn't really have on the developer's own forum. Posts deleted/edited.

I would adore CDPR if they released a benchmark for this game. It's the first game of this scope and scale with graphics of its caliber. I really want to know what my PC and I are getting into.

Top Bottom