Can you start an NG+ from an NG+ save?

+
Can you start an NG+ from an NG+ save?

Meaning... if you started an NG+ and completed the story (again). Will you then be able to start a new NG+ using that save?

I'm on PS4.

Last edited:
Aha, I see. So if I want to max out Geralt's stats, I need to make sure to gain maximum amount of XP as well as find all places of powers in my first playthrough. Right?

Aha, I see. So if I want to max out Geralt's stats, I need to make sure to gain maximum amount of XP as well as find all places of powers in my first playthrough. Right?

places of power, yes.
if you level too high in the first game, you will start with grey quests that give next to no XP though.... so you don't gain much by overleveling.

That's correct. NG+ doesn't stack, meaning you can only start one NG+ playthrough. If you want to play NG+ again, you have to load up the vanilla save file again.
So, you're saying that I will never be able to play TW3 starting out at the level cap with optimal skills and gear? That is so, incredibly, disappointing. That being the case, in a way, this makes NG+ currently pointless. If I play through NG+ now, then I'd be missing a great deal of items/money/experience that I would have gotten from the expansion content on my first run through the game. I would have to abandon my NG+ file (may as well delete it at that point), go back through on the original run of the game, play through the expansion content, and *then* I'd be able to start NG+ with everything I should have had in the first place. That's a lot of wasted time and effort, doing it that way.

The primary point/goal of NG+ (in its purest form) is to allow players to carry over basically everything that isn't a story related item (to hell with gathering gwent cards, only to have to do it again), without limitations on how often it can be done with a single save file. Dead Space 2 and Mass Effect 3 did it best, among modern video games. But, those games don't have potentially great variation in stats between the player character and enemies, so it required less work to balance out NG+.

But, you guys already worked out the balancing for TW3's NG+. So if the work has already been done to balance it out, why stop us from doing NG+ in perpetuity? It would have been far better had NG+ not been free DLC. Instead, it should have been payed-for DLC that is a true, full-fledged NG+. I feel so strongly about this that I think this is borderline fact, rather than just opinion. There is no good reason (that I can see) to hold us back like this. Please, give us true NG+, and not NG+ Lite.

Last edited:
So glad I read this now. Almost saved over my "Something Ends, Something Begins" save file last night. Kudos for the good question and informative answer.

So, you're saying that I will never be able to play TW3 starting out at the level cap with optimal skills and gear? That is so, incredibly, disappointing.

I have to say I agree with that statement, unfortunately, for the same reasons mentioned in the post by @felismenari

I've got a job, kid and a wife, thus not unlimited time for gaming. But TW3 is the first game since I was in my teens which I just can't stop playing.

I really wish it would have been possible to stack playthroughs indefinitely. I would easily pay for such an update. I'm not sure I get why one would want to limit Ng+ to one (extra) playthrough unless it's because of technical difficulties (added development cost).

Having that said, I love the game and the spirit of CDPR. You already have my money for Cyberpunk ;)

Last edited:

iCake

Forum veteran
I don't know, why not just lower Geralt's level back to 30 when importing a NG+ story complete save to yet another NG+? I mean, if you're worried about any possible balance issues, then doing just that will completely eliminate any chance of that.

Even taking away all the additional skill points you've gotten shouldn't be that much of a problem, that's just simple basic math, assuming there is a way to count how many free skill points you gained from interacting with places of power in your NG+ playthrough.

There is something else I wanted to mention. This games really needs a way to keep saves from diffrent playthroughs separate from each other. When I started my NG+ I accidently overwote the save file I had used to start NG+. Some might say that it's my own damn fault for not backing up important saves, but I must say, there is no way I could do that on my xbox one. The saves sync up automatically to the cloud, which you don't have direct access to, and you can't transfer your saves to an extrenal drive like a USB stick.

Last edited:
I've got a job, kid and a wife, thus not unlimited time for gaming.

That is an irrelevant argument. It takes no more time to play the game vanilla than it does with NG+. And really, in a technical sense, you have the rest of your life to complete TW3 as many times or as few times as you wish.
So to use this reasoning to try and twist CDPR's arm into making NG+ stackable is really a bit silly.
They surely have no interest in your time management. That is your business. It is not dissimilar to asking your car manufacturer to give you another car because you have lots of errands to run.

That is an irrelevant argument.

Actually, that part of my post was not an argument. You left out the second sentence of that paragraph in your quote – which as a whole was meant as a compliment to CDPR. I'm actually making more time for TW3 although my time is limited.

So to use this reasoning to try and twist CDPR's arm into making NG+ stackable is really a bit silly.

I quite frankly feel it is you twisting my words rather than me twisting anyone's arm. I just expressed a wish here. I can tell from your choice of words that you are passionate about development and gaming and I'm not going to get into a fight over this with you or anyone else. I'd just thought it would have been really nice to keep my stash and level when starting a new game. And I'd like to do it again and again. If more people than me wish for this too and wouldn't mind paying for it in some shape or form I hope CDPR will take it into consideration.

I'd be fine with paying for a proper NG+. Five dollars would seem reasonable, ten if you're greedy, or if the development costs warrant such a price tag. But what we currently have...it's better than nothing, but it leaves much to be desired.

Thanks!

I started a NG+ playtrough, but reading this i will wait for the expansions to play again, makes more sense.

I'm close to the end of storyline in NG+, and it just brought to the game the possibility to bring your crafting and consumable itens back, saving time on looting...

Even crafting armors I tought would be different... I tought that by keeping my Mastercrafted versions I could just upgrade these final versions of witcher gear (e.g. I went to an armorer or blacksmith and spent some money and itens to make it better), without the need to find all diagrams again and crafting all 4 instances again...

Anyway, in further playtroughs I still will start from NG+ mode to avoid looting everything again... in my pov that was the only good thing that NG+ brought...

@lufrc: That's one of the biggest reasons that I dislike the unnecessary limits put on NG+ (having to continue with switching weapons/armor frequently). It's obvious that the idea is for players to move on to witcher gear at some point, so why make us repeat that process with NG+? Now if we could start NG+ at the level cap with the highest level of witcher gear, then it wouldn't be a problem (hence why we should be able to do NG+ repeatedly with a single save file).

Last edited:
@lufrc : That's one of the biggest reasons that I dislike the unnecessary limits put on NG+ (having to continue with switching weapons/armor frequently). It's obvious that the idea is for players to move on to witcher gear at some point, so why make us repeat that process? Having to wait til the game lets me go to Kaer Morhen before I can start making wolf school gear is *not* fun.

But why playing NG+ without having anything to do?
It's already just a slaughterhouse even on DM.
I did the Hattori quest on 50 when it was marked as 54... now that is not a problem. But i one hitted every darf besides one... needed two hits on him.
Gear is just neglectible in NG+ ...

Just as it is possible (and fun) to do the endfight in normal game on Deathmarch with deleting all your skills beforehand and not investing a single point.

What more than onehitting everything could you ask for in NG+ ?

@Jollyfingers: I wish to be able to do NG+ with a single save file (carry over progress from each NG+) as many times as I wish. That is all. If I can do that, then gear will no longer be an issue after a certain point.

@Jollyfingers : I wish to be able to do NG+ with a single save file (carry over progress from each NG+) as many times as I wish. That is all. If I can do that, then gear will no longer be an issue after a certain point.

I understand.
What i can't understand is: Why?
I don't want to argue against your wish, i just can't see any reason in it.

Top Bottom