CD project got VR dev kits, possible VR for witcher/cyberpunk?

+
Why is Hearts of Iron IV in 3D?

I think if you can emulate a multi screen setup in VR it would be useful or perhaps a very large world map. In HOI multiplayer, there's often times where I am attacked on two fronts and so defending is often hectic.

There's 5 or 6 screens in HOI. You could also hotkey of course but if I had all my info in one place without switching screens it would be great. Not sure if the tech is good enough to play HOI now but that's the direction the tech is going.

To take another example. There's also a lot of bells and whistles in X-COM. The attack animations are way too long for a turn based game.3D is not nescessary and neither are most of the animations but it adds flavor to the game. We can all complain about graphics but most of us have threshold of tolerance for low polish.

Last edited:
Everyone's throwing down hardware, but without the games to back it up, it'll die like every other VR attempt to date. The current selection is a weak array of simple, shallow offerings, save for asmall handfull of flight/spaceflight sim types that already exist fine on their own without VR.

You need something to tweak the next-gen nerve of the gamer fanbase that is just waiting for a good excuse to buy a VR set. VR equipment alone won't sell itself, it needs a flagship game to save it.

It needs a lot more then a single flagship game, it needs several game designers to adopt it.

As I've said I have no doubt it'll be incorporated into most FPS and driving/piloting games. And perhaps that will make it successful enough to encourage continued development and innovation in the field. But I don't see C-Gaming as a whole adopting it, no reason to in most cases.

Last edited:
But the question is why?
What does using VR in such a game add to the game, what useful thing does it allow you to do that couldn't be done without it?
Sure there's a way to incorporate it into almost anything, why should developers go to the time/trouble/expense?

Consider changes in brain chemistry as one of the useful things that VR will add to a game. The levels of immersion, excitement, thrill and the like rise because VR gives you your own place in the game's fictional 3D space, as opposed to looking at the game's fictional 3D space from a window. Experiencing a game from a different perspective might change the rate of production of certain chemicals such as dopamine, and as a result will make you feel differently (for better or worse).

A bit disappointed by the anti-VR people on the board. It's a bit of a failure of imagination.

I agree, especially considering that this a Cyberpunk 2077 forum.

I agree, especially considering that this a Cyberpunk 2077 forum.

I don't know your, or Poet's background or anything... but my background is PnP RPG gaming (and reading books to of course)... there is nothing wrong with my imagination at all. If anything it is really good actually... and combined with the way my focus is (where most peoples focus is like a flashlight, mine is like a laser)... which is why I don't need something like VR to "feel" like I am inside the gaming world. I can do that all by my self without the aid of VR.

I am happy for all of the people out there that might feel that VR will make that kind of difference for them... but me, and probably a fair amount of others, don't feel we need it.

So I really don't see why I should sink X amount of money onto something I don't feel or see a need for me to have and use.

I really hope cyberpunk will not support VR.
This would require a first person mode to work ( i dont really like first person in RPGs, unless is optional)

It would also limit the options drastically. You can nearly forget fast movement or fast action with VR.
Also think about the resources and effort they have to put into that...
I would rather see that invested in the world,story and characters .

This would require a first person mode to work ( i dont really like first person in RPGs, unless is optional)
so you wouldn't mind the optional VR, then. :D

you are right, anyone who wants a fully playable and well-made VR version of cyberpunk doesn't have realistic expectations. but (if I had a VR headset) I wouldn't mind seeing a "sightseeing mode". based on the teaser I'm sure the world will look gorgeous.

This would require a first person mode to work

Wrong. 3rd person works even better than FPS in VR - less danger for motion sickness. Of course you need to use a controller for this. (I'm fully aware that roomscale is were the "real VR" is, but i don't care. I want to be able to move freely in games, so i prefer keyboard & mouse or a controller in VR.)

It needs a lot more then a single flagship game, it needs several game designers to adopt it.

As I've said I have no doubt it'll be incorporated into most FPS and driving/piloting games. And perhaps that will make it successful enough to encourage continued development and innovation in the field. But I don't see C-Gaming as a whole adopting it, no reason to in most cases.

The thing is... Not all areas of gaming are equal.

It has never been the case. Whether you want to believe it or not, FPS/driving/JRPGs etc games are a major motivation of R&D in the gaming world. They can drive innovation and they commend top dollar. They can push the industry as a whole in ways that some categories (e.g. mobile games) can't.

That is more then enough for it's success. That's also more then enough reason for CDPR to adopt it.

If Call of Duty or say goes VR for example, it's a much bigger deal then if Pillar of Eternity goes VR. You have Microsoft ad Sony on board with brand new consoles.

And once again, FPSes is not the sole benefector of VR. Horror games in aprticular stand to gain from mass adoption of VR (and if you research it, you'll see the scare factor is jumped up to the nth degree).Most narrative-driven adventure games would be fantastic in VR. In fact, I expect VR to breathe new life in a near-forgotten genre or at least pave the way for it.

Last edited:
It has never been the case. Whether you want to believe it or not, FPS/driving/JRPGs etc games are a major motivation of R&D in the gaming world. They can drive innovation and they commend top dollar. They can push the industry as a whole in ways that some categories (e.g. mobile games) can't.
I never said nor meant to imply they were. Merely that that type of game is well suited to the use of VR.

That is more then enough for it's success. That's also more then enough reason for CDPR to adopt it.
Hardly.
Just because a certain game style is successful or popular is totally irrelevant to other game styles.
You imply because say platformer style games are successful all games should adopt platformer gameplay.

VR's success, or failure, should have no effect on CDPRs development of CP2077, since they've already made it clear it will not be primarily an FPS.

But this one should.

It's too cool of an opportunity to pass up.

I disagree of course. :D Forcibly going for the Cool[SUP]tm[/SUP] factor (and running after the latest fads with money in mind) usually only leads to easily forgotten cheap gimmickry that, at worst, harms the whole experience even for those not interested in it. I'd not want Cyberpunk to fall into that trap.

Last edited:
A game should either be "made for VR from the beginning" or shouldn't use it at all. A half-assed VR version of a game will only diminish from it. I personally wouldn't want CP2077 to be a "made for VR" game, thank you very much :) I can imagine myself using it in space sims (Flying a ship in Star Citizen would be legendary with it). But not in games where your character actually moves around.

I disagree of course. :D Forcibly going for the Cool[SUP]tm[/SUP] factor (and running after the latest fads with money in mind) usually only leads to easily forgotten cheap gimmickry that, at worst, harms the whole experience even for those not interested in it. I'd not want Cyberpunk to fall into that trap.

Of course, it only becomes cheap gimmickry if it used as such.

I trust CDPR will do a good job with VR. :)

I'm afraid that after i begin to play VR games, i will lose interest in conventional flatscreen representation of games and if Cyberpunk 2077 doesn't have at least an optional VR mode for "seated gameplay", i will not wanna play it.

And i'm sure i'm not the only one. When you have seen and used color TV, you surely don't want to go back to a black & white model, right? Even the greatest movies are not enjoyable on b&w TV.

And besides, a VR HMD is just a specialized screen for viewing content in Surround-3D, it can be more than that but it's not necessary. I personally don't much care for roomscale or full body VR - just give me Surround-3D and i'm happy. This is not hard to implement, so there's hope for Cyberpunk 2077.

PS: Third person games work perfectly in VR. See a lot of the games for Oculus Rift.

Last edited:
And i'm sure i'm not the only one. When you have seen and used color TV, you surely don't want to go back to a black & white model, right? Even the greatest movies are not enjoyable on b&w TV.

To name just a few...

[video=youtube;Mlfn5n-E2WE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mlfn5n-E2WE[/video]

Close enough atleast... XD

And these films do not even rely on color tv's at all to begin with... well, except the last one partly atleast... XD I mean sure, not all movies would be good in black and white, some do rely on the colors to help tell the story... but not all movies. I am sure some of the best movies out there would work just as well in black and white as in color.

Exceptions do not override a principle. :)
I'm a sucker for colors, but even i use b&w in photography occasionally because sometimes the colors get in the way.

Top Bottom