Combat Crashes with AMD R9 285

+
@JohnKenaro in iMac 5K I can't install Catalyst 15.5 Beta – only this: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/bootcamp .
I literally just created an account on this forum to let you know I'm in the same exact boat. It sucks. I haven't seen any fix our GPU either. And considering that AMD has seemingly abandoned us after the initial bootcamp drivers, I'm doubtful we'll even be able to install a driver update that would fix this, should it be released. I'm really banking on CDPR making a patch for this. :(

gaming on linux: why do ppl play games on a calculator? (routers, embedded, supercomputers)
gaming on osx: why do ppl play games on typewriter? (desktop publishing machine)
gaming on console: it works! omg it works!
gaming on win: problem bro?

@aryadee Did You contact with AMD support and did you report this problem? Maybe if many ppl report this problem, AMD take into account our case. If not, imac's 5k users need to wait on windows 10 and new bootcamp drivers I think. Or maybe CDPROJECT RED (heloooo??!!!) create patch (maybe 1.06?) which fix this problem officially.

@PrincessMassacre Im designer (desktop publisher :) and I play occasionally, so tried install and play W3 on iMac. Everything works fine, but this bug is only one big problem;/

I would like to say I was waiting for the official fix until Friday when I gave up and installed the DLL thing. Man it's amazing how flipping easy it is to install and I've had no problems at all since. yaaay thank you internet and boo to AMD for not just releasing this exact fix officially

Just to let you know that installing the new drivers from AMD webpage and these 4 DLLs solved the problem for me. Been playing for many hours without problems. Will update if anything out of the ordinary occurs.

I can gladly confirm that this also fixed the combat crash for me after installing the 15.5Beta driver and the latest dll's from the witcher 3 nexus. playing since 3p.m. of GER time and not a single crash :)

It's not combar crash error, but my issue occur on R9 285 ..
I was playing a long time on 15.200.1023.5 from Windows Update - no driver crashes, then i updated to 15.200.1040 - drivers were crashing so I made downgrade to 15.200.1023.5 but driver are still crashing ..:

amdacpusrsvc
acpusrsvc: GfxMemServiceInitialize: FAILED

amdacpusrsvc
acpusrsvc: IOCTL_ACPKSD_KSD_TO_USR_SVC_SET_FB_APERTURES: FAILED

amdacpusrsvc
acpusrsvc: ConfigureFrameBufferMemory: FAILED.

Try reinstalling the game.
Do you use Win10? If not then just get the lasted beta drivers plus the AMD DLL files on the OP.

I'm on Windows 10, i unistalled drivers and I have done fresh install from Windows Drivers but now i have:
"Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered"
I was not fighting

I'm on Windows 10, i unistalled drivers and I have done fresh install from Windows Drivers but now i have:
"Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered"
I was not fighting
You should probably wait for the final version of Windows 10, which will be available on the 29th this month and the official AMD drivers for that version. Nobody guarantees/makes sure that a game will work on a tech preview with sketchy drivers.

Still borked with 15.6 on Win 8.1, I only recently got a R9 285 as a upgrade from my 750 Ti, I can normally do one of two combats and then the game dumps me to desktop and I can't get back to the game without a hard reboot and then have to run the quest combat again.

Still borked with 15.6 on Win 8.1, I only recently got a R9 285 as a upgrade from my 750 Ti, I can normally do one of two combats and then the game dumps me to desktop and I can't get back to the game without a hard reboot and then have to run the quest combat again.

Just making sure you've seen the info about a fix for the crashes, get the .dll pack in the OP. They work 100%, but it's inexcusable we don't have an official fix yet.

EDIT: Also, in Windows 7, it never required a hard reboot for me. It would crash and as long as I made sure The Witcher 3 was killed in Task Manager, I could always get back to normal desktop and restart the game.

Last edited:
Yeah I can't kill it in the task manager as the mouse cursor is still locked to the game, by the time I open it by Ctrl Alt Delete, select the manager and tab around to close it, I could have just rebooted lol. yeah the .dll fix was my next port of call.

Fixed on iMac...so far

I'm one of those crazy iMac Retina Bootcamp users (Radeon R9 M295X) . Game would randomly CTD in combat like the others. Wandering in the Dark would crash every time when closing the portals and fighting the ice hounds.

Tried the AMD-1040 dlls. Game wouldn't run (like a previous poster).

HOWEVER, the game DOES work with the older older AMD-1023 dlls. Finished the quest with no crashes. Haven't played much since, but wanted to post my success here.

Download the old drivers on the Nexus here.

Top Bottom