Combat Crashes with AMD R9 285

+
hi everyone, this is Roy Taylor, Corporate Vice President for Alliances at AMD, please can everyone note the following;

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - We are aware that some users may be experiencing random crashes during gameplay. Users with this problem should verify that the game version is up to date with the latest official patch. If you continue to experience random crashes with the latest game patch installed, please file a report using the AMD Issue Reporting Form.

A couple of you are helping us directly on the issue, thank you.

More as soon as we have it,
thanks

look! one guy in amd has a keyboard! maybe he can do what one guy in guru3d did in ten minutes! Make a fukin working driver!

hi everyone, this is Roy Taylor, Corporate Vice President for Alliances at AMD, please can everyone note the following;

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - We are aware that some users may be experiencing random crashes during gameplay. Users with this problem should verify that the game version is up to date with the latest official patch. If you continue to experience random crashes with the latest game patch installed, please file a report using the AMD Issue Reporting Form.

thanks

Hello Roy. Thanks for making an appearance. I know you say you're working directly with some people, but I just want to emphasize something, these 285 crashes do not seem to be all that "random". Something related directly to combat is causing them. I can run around all day on High/Ultra settings on all of the released patches so far and on the Omega or Beta drivers, talk to any NPC, do fetching & exploring quests, view cutscenes, etc. perfectly fine. But as soon as I'm forced to fight monsters, it is inevitable that I crash with a sword blow on an enemy. It is easiest to reproduce when there are waves of enemies, like late in the "Wandering In The Dark" quest or during adult Ciri's first appearance. I can turn every setting to low / off or high/ultra and I could crash during a hit on the 2nd monster or the 9th monster, it doesn't matter, I will crash.

I would love to have a friendly challenge to an AMD employee to try to play up through those parts of the game I mentioned on a r9 285 system and hear how often they experience a crash during combat.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that in the last few days I've gone to using signs (magic spells) to fight instead of using the swords and my crash rate has gone down tremendously, but I can go back to an old save point like Wandering In The Dark and/or just try to use the swords as primary and crash very frequently during combat.

Last edited:

thanks

Hey Roy, thanks for the feedback and for the email correspondence, it really is appreciated!

news from https://community.amd.com/thread/180209
[h=6]er 3 Combat Crashes with AMD R9 285 x [/h]
amdmatt

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to let you know of an important update that we've just added to the known issues of Catalyst 15.5 Beta driver.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - We are aware that some users may be experiencing random crashes during gameplay on AMD Radeon™ R9 285 series products and are working with CD Projekt Red to investigate the issue and determine a fix.

As soon as we have a further update on this issue, we'll let you know. Thank you for your patience.

news from https://community.amd.com/thread/180209
[h=6]er 3 Combat Crashes with AMD R9 285 x [/h]
amdmatt

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to let you know of an important update that we've just added to the known issues of Catalyst 15.5 Beta driver.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - We are aware that some users may be experiencing random crashes during gameplay on AMD Radeon™ R9 285 series products and are working with CD Projekt Red to investigate the issue and determine a fix.

As soon as we have a further update on this issue, we'll let you know. Thank you for your patience.

We did it guys, now hope for the best solution. Congratulations to everyone who shouted loud

Finally some hope. Hopefully they are able to identify the issue very soon and why the Win10 drivers would fix it.

I don't know how you get the drivers on Win10, I had understood that they just appeared on Windows Update. The links I posted are modded versions of the drivers that work on Win7/8.1. You could try looking around for a direct link to the Win10 version.

The drivers will fix the crashing issue but they come with a performance loss due to shoddy DX11 optimization.

R9 285 + constant crashing while killing Hounds of the Wild Hunt during Wandering in the Dark boss fight brought me to this thread. I tried various combos of settings. Nothing worked until I turned off Action Messages in the HUD settings. After I turned those off I could complete the fight and haven't had the lockup/crash yet. Not saying it will work for you, but this is what worked for me. AMD Phenom II X6 1055T, 8GB RAM, r9 285, Win 7 SP1.
Spiralfusion I think I'm in love. So far I have been able to crash the game 100% of the time by opening up my inventory, heading to either beastiary or tutorial and just scrolling around for a bit. After disabling Action Messages I did the same thing and for the first time I wasn't able to crash while messing around in the inventory for quite some time. I'm going to start a much longer-term test/play session and will post again with further results, but so far this change is very promising.

I have a 290x (Asus DirectCU II OC r9290-dc2oc-4gd5) and other beefy stuff:

i7-4790 @ 3.6GHz
32GB RAM
Win 8.1 64-bit

Spiralfusion I think I'm in love. So far I have been able to crash the game 100% of the time by opening up my inventory, heading to either beastiary or tutorial and just scrolling around for a bit. After disabling Action Messages I did the same thing and for the first time I wasn't able to crash while messing around in the inventory for quite some time. I'm going to start a much longer-term test/play session and will post again with further results, but so far this change is very promising.

I have a 290x (Asus DirectCU II OC r9290-dc2oc-4gd5) and other beefy stuff:

i7-4790 @ 3.6GHz
32GB RAM
Win 8.1 64-bit

Is this a verified fix? I'll add it to my posts across the interwebs.

This is happening to me as well and I'm using an AMD Radeon R7 265. I'm playing at 1366x768 but the game runs pretty nice (reaching 60 FPS) with a mix of med and ultra settings. I can't play at all because it crashes in the middle of a fight and it's getting frustrating. The game is properly updated, I just installed the latest AMD beta drivers, I noticed the CPU usage lowered but the game is still crashing, and it's only crashing with the witcher 3. My PC stops responding and then it restarts.

AMD A8-6600K @ 3.9GHz
AMD Radeon R7 265 @ 955MHz/1400MHz
8GB RAM
Windows 8.1 x64

Last edited:
Is this a verified fix? I'll add it to my posts across the interwebs.

Sorry to disappoint, but I'm still crashing sporadically, and just as frequent as before it seems. For whatever reason changing the Action Message option seemed to make scrolling through the inventory less buggy, but I still crash seemingly randomly while opening/closing inventories, fighting, etc. I'm at a loss as to why... I've tried so many things at this point that it would take a while to get them all written down. The short story is that nothing has proven to be a silver bullet so far for my environment.

EDIT: I wanted to add that it has been very frustrating not having some type of a log to check so that I can get more info about what is causing this issue. And if there isn't a log, then I wish there was some way to send in a stack dump or some other binary to the devs so that they can see exactly what is causing this issue. Without that feedback loop I would imagine this issue will be much harder to track down if they don't already know what is the cause. And if they do know what the cause is, then I wish the devs would say so and then give some status on the fix they are working on (or let us know that it is out of their hands and dependent on AMD/Nvidia/Microsoft/whoever).

Last edited:
I wanted to add that it has been very frustrating not having some type of a log to check so that I can get more info about what is causing this issue. And if there isn't a log, then I wish there was some way to send in a stack dump or some other binary to the devs so that they can see exactly what is causing this issue. Without that feedback loop I would imagine this issue will be much harder to track down if they don't already know what is the cause. And if they do know what the cause is, then I wish the devs would say so and then give some status on the fix they are working on (or let us know that it is out of their hands and dependent on AMD/Nvidia/Microsoft/whoever).

There is dump file in windows, not that easy to find and even harder to get dump file reading programs, but my brother managed to do it and found 2 drivers to be faulty, each and every time a directx driver and an amd driver being the problem. When i asked my brother if changing those via update/rollback may help, i got the answer that we dont know what environment makes those drivers to hang, it may be totally not the drivers the problem but the program crashing them.

I won't be able to do any testing until monday so I need you brave folk to test out (http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=399410). These ones show better DX11 performance so if they fix the combat crashing, they should be the better alternative.

You more than likely need to follow the same steps as with the Win10 drivers to install these ones.

There is dump file in windows, not that easy to find and even harder to get dump file reading programs, but my brother managed to do it and found 2 drivers to be faulty, each and every time a directx driver and an amd driver being the problem. When i asked my brother if changing those via update/rollback may help, i got the answer that we dont know what environment makes those drivers to hang, it may be totally not the drivers the problem but the program crashing them.

Dump files are no joke, they can easily point to the wrong problem and windows reporting is horrible, you have to run tests against the dump lots of times just to see what's going on. The driver could be crashing but the problem could be another file sending a invalid request or string which in turns makes the driver freak out and crash.

Top Bottom