Combat in the game - general discussion

+
Well, my fav tactic vs. AJ:Aard to knock him down, Yrden, Quen, lead him over trap repeatedly while regenerating endurance, hit him with Strong 4, repeat.

mothra said:
LEVEL 4 + QUEN + YRDEN IS THE WINsorry for capitals but since everybody (except the post b4 me) seems to think level4 is for show-off I had to repeat that.charge up quen, run around and collect enemies, depending how hard they are you can then either:- charge up Yrden, use it and then charge up lvl4- or just charge up lvl4 and then slash awayI played the last chapters with Yrden for bottlenecks (position yourself so they have to use a certain way to get to you)and Quen for charging up lvl4 or other signs. btw if you boost Quen attackers get even hurt, so you don't have to anything than justrun around in your little magic bubble (I love it), drink some potion, read a good book and if you are bored, engage in a fight !
You're right, - I was describing level 4's as 'for show' since combat is so easy that any elaborate tactics are just for fun....Quen is great for level 4's and other charge attacks its true, -- I haven't upgraded it very much since it seems to do its job flawlessly even at lower levels....

I am only on Chapter 1 so bear with me.Through out the gameplay, I find swords and daggers (on the corpses, or in the wardrobes, etc). I have some kind of axe in one of my slots. But I cannot use it with my chain attacks. What is the point of having an axe? Or a dagger? Any benefit of weilding those over a sword? Also, i am still yet to find a sword that is better than my "stock" sword. Also, I have a torch. It was great having it in the Crypt (i dont have any CAT potions), but I cannot use it during fight, it seems. I have to fight in the dark. Any way to dual weild a sword and a torch in the left hand?Also, how the heck do you compare weapons?The sword I have says "damage based on fighting style", another sword I might find will say "damage +10%". how do you compare those two??!!! which one is better?

Most weapons- axes, daggers, flals, etc. that you will find on enemies are fairly useless. Some of them have interesting stats- like increased chances of disarming or unshielding an opponent, or causing bleeding, stun or whatever, but you're still better off with weapons that can be used with Witcher styles. There might also be some interesting 'finishing' moves associated with these weapons- where you stun or knock down an opponent then finish them off with a single blow, but I'm not sure. I haven't bothered using any of them enough to know.The regular steel Witcher sword you have in act one will pretty much stay your primary weapon through the act. If you're lucky enough to find three pieces of meteorite in ACT 1 while the Dwarven smith is still around, you can upgrade it for some money. You will get a Silver Witcher's sword at the beginning of Act 2. If you find three Rune stones (not RUNIC stones, which only give temporary effects) you can upgrade the Silver sword as well, assuming you find a willing armorer and have the money.there's no dual wielding by Geralt (that I know of.) There are some characters later in the game who will dual wield swords, but Geralt aint one of them. There's also no archery, though some characters use bows and the Professor uses a crossbow.As far as comparing weapons- non-witcher weapons will show a damage amount per hit. the amount of damage a Witcher weapon does... this gets complicated... The damage +10% would be better than "Damage based on fighting style" because the +10% would be 'damage based on fighting style +10%' Only weapons that aren't used with Witcher styles will outright say what their damage levels are.BASICALLY Witcher weapons do damage based on your skill level in the style you are using the weapon. So you should check your stats screen (where you level up) and check, say, your "fast steel" level to see what your base damage is when using the fast steel style..There are extra bonuses depending on what else you pick when leveling up (you might, for example, level up your dexterity and your chance of hitting an opponent and dodging their blows will go up,) and depending on what weapon you are using with the Witcher styles. Like- you might find a sword that does -30% damage but has a high chance of causing bleeding, stun, or some other effect that will somehow dehabilitate your opponent. It can get pretty complicated overall. While mass damage might seem like the best idea, causing your opponent pain will lower how much they can harm you, stunning them will give you an opportunity to kill them or seriously injur them with a single blow, etc.Also- it should be noted that each creature, human, boss, whatever you run into will have their own numbers going. If you run into an armored opponent and their armor takes 20% of damage, instead of doing10- 20 points of damage when you hit them, you will end up doing 8- 16.

In the manual, it says that the "flaming sword" icon, which signals when you should click for the next attack sequence, only appears on easy difficulty. I just started the game in medium difficulty, but the flaming sword icon is appearing here too. Is that suppose to happen? Or will the flaming sword icon eventually go away as I progress further in the game? Right now I'm just in the tutorial section. Thanks for any help provided.

Can somebody provide information on how the game calclates damage in combat? I have many questions. How is a hit determined? How do pain, stun, blinding, armor, parry, dodge,etc. interact in combat/damage? I'd like to make some intellignet choices in talent distribution etc. Is there a FAQ on this someplce?

I just got the game. Noticed in the manual that the flaming sword graphic should only appear when playing in EASY mode (p19). However when playing in MEDIUM mode I see the flaming sword appear as I fight an opponent.Have I chosen easy mode by accident or is the manual incorrect in this regard ?Thanks

I would seriously consider starting on hard,if i were You.On hard the game pushes You towards watching the whole sequence,not only the damn flaming sword icon.It also makes alchemy a very important part of the game,not only a bonus buff.The enemies are also,obviously,more challanging.Aside maybe one,two fights the game will still be quite easy enough,but hard makes the experience more enjoyable.If i regret anything about playing the witcher,it's the fact that i didin't choose hard when playing the game initially.

Played my first game on the hardest difficulty ages ago. I am now playing my second game again on the hardest difficulty but it seems a lot easier since the patches, of course this could be explained away by a better use of my talents and more experience but there has been a few scenes where it appears to be a lot easier anyone have this feeling?Is there anyway to check my difficulty level in game? I think at the hardest level you only have the slash indicator for fights is that correct?

I don't think you can check your difficulty once you've started a new game, but you are correct, the flaming sword icon only appears in easy and normal.I think the game is easier the second time around, mainly because you know what to expect and can plan appropriately

Well I played on a little further, I am in the swamps now and the game is playing really strangely. All the Drowners are afraid of me yet I have no talisman. As I have no flaming sword I know that I am playing at the hardest level but all my opponents are really worthless compared to my first game and I am still on copper talents. Pure speculation and if I did not think this was impossible I would believe that even though I have started a new game my levels from the previous game are still being added to. Is there another reason why drowners would be afraid besides a talisman. Perhaps I missed this in the first game.

I almost never used any weapons other than our two swords...And I also find explosives rather useless, but maybe it was just because I tried it late in the game, my Igni was already very poweful :pWas it the same for you ?

Yes the weapons are quite useless. See them as additional slots to carry loot. I heard the torch is maybe effective against plants.The use of bombs depends on your playstyle.

Voylodion said:
I have never used additional weapons in combat but Geralt does use a dagger for one of the finishing moves.
Yep, just saw it a hour ago, I finished game once but have never seen that finishing move till today. ;D

Mainly used silver and steel swords and sigs. Used King and Queen bombs when surrounded by Salamandras help to scatter the group a bit. Zerrikanian Sun I tried also but didn't seem to get a lot of help from it (for me). Beside the dagger that Geralt uses in one of his finishing moves the other side weapons I didn't find of much use.

Top Bottom