Crossbows are pointless: either make them stronger or remove them altogether

+
I'd rather go back to TW2 daggers, at least those dealt damage. Crossbows do look cool, but there's 0 point in their existence besides as a means of defense underwater or sailing (just let us use the swords instead, really). TW3 gameplay mechanics prove right that quote from the Polish show: "there is nothing better than a sword".

They are not useless. Amazing for fights when you have flyers. Also really good underwater.
That makes it a tool rather than a weapon though. You can always wait for flying enemies to land (no real need for crossbow), and like I mentioned their only actual utility is being the only available means of defense underwater. But I'd like them to be functional in normal combat.

I don't think it's a bad thing that it's extremely situational and IMO for a witcher it makes much more sense to rely on sword, alchemy and signs.

Still, I get why a strong crossbow could be fun in battle, I just don't feel like it's really a necessary change for this game.

Rather useful against siren (and against any flying monsters which don't really want to land^^).
In short, (very) useful in Skellige :)

I'm not a fan of crossbow in Witcher, but it has its moments. While diving it's (my precious) very useful and since I usually don't want to wait a week for an enemy to land, I can just shoot it down.

I never tested those special bolts/arrows, though. Just the default ones.

there are abilities that improve crosbows... without these, its weak..
Even upgraded I feel those skill points have been wasted. Why upgrade a weak weapon that never stops being anything but a situational tool, when all those points are far better used on sword/alchemy/sign skills?

I never tested those special bolts/arrows, though. Just the default ones.
To be honest, the same... All special arrows goes directly in the chest. I don't remember to ever fire a single special one since I play :giggle:
Even upgraded I feel those skill points have been wasted. Why upgrade a weak weapon that never stops being anything but a situational tool, when all those points are far better used on sword/alchemy/sign skills?
Maybe before, but now (in the current version), I have more points that I'll ever be able to use... (maybe in B & W, I will, but not sure...)
Generally the only points that I spent in crossbow skill, it's to slowing time while aiming, that's all :)

Yeah, the damage stats of the special arrows are not promising either - probably not worth bothering with it. So yeah, I wouldn't invest much in Crossbows either, unless you are planning on doing a lot of diving for sunken treasures (or you have too many free points...).

Yeah, the damage stats of the special arrows are not promising either - probably not worth bothering with it. So yeah, I wouldn't invest much in Crossbows either, unless you are planning on doing a lot of diving for sunken treasures (or you have too many free points...).
In underwater combat, I've never needed anything more than the standard attack, so no need for specific abilities. And I do a lot of diving and Skellige exploring (my favourite region). The crossbow should have been a type of attack, rather than an item.

Well, in 4.0 you have a lot more free skill points than before as combat skills now only require 3 points to max instead of 5... so you definitely have enough to even invest into crossbows...

One other problem to keep in mind though: combat in Witcher isn't really designed for ranged combat.
You'd have to change a lot more in the game to make it work. The enemy AI would need to deal with it very differently in many situations.
I don't think it's worth the trouble.

Plus, compared with bombs which can have a wider range as well, I think it's easier to limit the amount bombs (which can be powerful too) than the number of arrows.

I'd rather go back to TW2 daggers, at least those dealt damage. Crossbows do look cool, but there's 0 point in their existence besides as a means of defense underwater or sailing (just let us use the swords instead, really). TW3 gameplay mechanics prove right that quote from the Polish show: "there is nothing better than a sword".
Just mod the game, there's several mods (Like god mode) that make the crossbow amazing and a bit op. If you really want to use ranged combat in witcher 3, theres mods for unlimited bolts and no reloading, theres mods that scale the crossbows damage with your player and the god mode mod allows you to choose a damage multiplier (anywhere from 0-50 times the damage of the crossbow) and lets you have infinite bolts with no reloading at the same time, if you so choose. I have mine set to times 50 and it makes the crossbow so op that if I don't feel like fighting a mini boss or even Eredin himself all I gotta do is shoot him one time and 1 default bolt from the starter crossbow does like 500k damage and insta kills anything. So again, if you want to use ranged combat or have played the game so much (like I have) that you need mods to keep things interesting and fun, just download them via nexus mods using vortex, it's really easy. Here's a Next Gen compatible God Mode mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/7249 make sure to read the description so you actually can use it. You can download it through vortex but you have to install a file updater (The one in the description), put it in your game files and run it, so you have the god mode menu in your game. Super simple and super easy. No need to make a big fuss, just mod the game to your liking :)👍 The Crossbow mods are quite fun really, there's even one that turns it into a machine gun and you can rapid fire unlimited bolts lol. There's even this mod as well that simple makes the crossbow better: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/5890

Last edited:
Crossbows would be decent if they scaled up properly - Ng+ feline and ursine crossbow plans have the same level as their normal game variants.

Upgrading one of the perks to refund special bolts when you hit (not miss) would help make them usable as well, as you would not be loosing ammo as long as you kept hitting. Assuming Geralt would pick up any used crossbow bolts after a fight if they did not break by missing.

I wonder if there will be any more patches, one can at least hope. Maybe next next gen will have better crossbows.

Top Bottom