Dev: “I would say that the game is pretty different to what we showed last year”

+
They scale within a limited range (minimum and maximum level), that is why some areas are more difficult than others. Most common encounters are also "scaled" using leveled lists, which means that a different species or variant of enemy may spawn randomly depending on the player's level, but not just the same enemy with a higher level number. For example, you may find a cave bear when you return to a place where you encountered a wolf earlier, but all cave bears generally have the same stats. And even if you are high level, there is still a chance it will be only a wolf. Finally, dungeon levels become locked after the player enters them for the first time.

lots of things are not necessary but part of an RPG is the strive for better gear, if all guns do the same damage regardless of your level or the enemy level or maybe the enemy doesn't even have levels than its just an RPG in terms if dialogue choice not gameplay.

This is too narrow of a view. You can still strive for better gear, it just won't come in the form of "Same Gun But +50% Damage."

Instead, we could be looking at tiered weapons, a la Skyrim. The equivalent of Daedric, Glass, etc. so maybe Makeshift, Experimental, Street, Corporate, Military gear, with scaling damage.

Ideally, even lower-tier weapons (like in Skyrim) can still hold their own later on, but they may be less effective against heavily-cybered up enemies, perhaps (bulletproof body mods?).

In Skyrim, you had enchantments and tempering to make low-end gear effective later on. In Cyberpunk 2077, weapon mods could fill this role.

that has nothing to do with levels.

Yes, this.

You do not need levelled gear to have gear progression. You do not need weapon rarities to have gear progression.

There's an interesting dichotomy between Western and Eastern power-scaling in RPG's. ExtraCredits did an episode on it:

(I THINK I'm within the rules to link that)

Western RPGs usually focus on giving the protagonist the right tools for the job (getting loot), which makes the protagonist stronger.

Eastern RPGs focus on narrative and the personal development of the protagonist, and that growth is reflected on the gear they're given.

The hunt for better gear or levels is not in any way, always the pillar of an RPG. It's a genre that is too vague to define and I wouldn't be surprised if Cyberpunk has its own twist on it.

skyrim was just one of the thousands RPGs that don't use levels, just took the most famous one. DE and SS are officially immerive sims, so I couldn't use them, while skyrim is the most famous RPG of the last 10 years at least, no one can say it's not an RPG. But yes, I'd prefer an immersive sim with stats and C&C as well (new type of RPG), too.

Well, I-Sims are a form of RPG, hybrids.. like how Pathfinder Kingmaker is a classic - DnD RPG, Mass Effect cinematic action RPG, Diablo a hack 'n slash ARPG so still relevant to any discussion involving RPG's and systems they use/could use.

all weapons in skyrim are based on strenght (swords, hammers, axes, knives...the stronger you are the harder you hit), so it makes sense and it'd be perfect to have the same thing for melee weapons in cyberpunk. ONLY melee weapons, DMG increased by character's strenght. Not the "I am level 17, now my shotgun deals more damage" nonsense. Skyrim doesn't have classic attributes so it's based on perks, but I've never said skyrim is perfect.

I think ranged weapons also had dmg amplifying perks but i could be wrong. Anyway i agree it makes more sense for melee weapons, it's just the way it's implemented (level up perks vs actual str stat) is more reminiscent of power gain through leveling up NOT finding better performing gear.

You never see a level in skyrim. Never. No enemy has a little number on its head telling you if you can kill it or not. I honestly don't remember them scaling, since the more you improve the easier it is to kill enemies, but maybe they do to some extent. I don't remember, not my favourite game ever, at all, I haven't played it for hundreds of hours.

Scaling as in the same mob but under a different name with highly improved stats, for example draugr vs high level draugr overlord. The latter was much more prelevalent at higher PC levels than the former.

skyrim doesn't have common/legendary/epic weapons, even though in a pure fantasy game like that, it could have made sense. Not in a realistic sci-fi setting where bards are not supposed to sing stories about the arasaka shotgun model 13bx, the epic weapon made in assembly lines you can buy for 5000E$ at any weapon shop.

Fair point. But just to play devil's advocate, an fabled Arasaka model state-of-the-art military grade laser rifle would defiantely make for a "legendary" item in that world, so mark it differently, so it stands out from the rest of the clutter.. I for one would enjoy gaining something rare and powerful like that. Wouldn't you?

But just to play devil's advocate, an fabled Arasaka model state-of-the-art military grade laser rifle would defiantely make for a "legendary" item in that world, so mark it differently, so it stands out from the rest of the clutter.. I for one would enjoy gaining something rare and powerful like that. Wouldn't you?

Weapon's stats and some particular characteristic would already label it as special, but - if CDPR really needs labels - other words could be used: street weapon (common), police weapon (uncommon), military grade weapon (epic), prototype (legendary), unique weapon (some special stuff, like jhonny silverhand's gun, arasaka's own katana). The important thing, for me, it's that you don't find the same weapon with different labels which make the "epic militech gun MK12" better than the "common militech gun MK12" like in all those damn looter shooters on market right now.

Well, I-Sims are a form of RPG, hybrids.. like how Pathfinder Kingmaker is a classic - DnD RPG, Mass Effect cinematic action RPG, Diablo a hack 'n slash ARPG so still relevant to any discussion involving RPG's and systems the use/could use.
I agree, but I wanted to avoid any possible "actually, that is not an RPG" argument.

Weapon's stats and some particular characteristic would already label it as special, but - if CDPR really needs labels - other words could be used: street weapon (common), police weapon (uncommon), military grade weapon (epic), prototype (legendary), unique weapon (some special stuff, like jhonny silverhand's gun, arasaka's own katana). The important thing, for me, it's that you don't find the same weapon with different labels which make the "epic militech gun MK12" better than the "common militech gun MK12" like in all those damn looter shooters on market right now.

I'd prefer if weapons in CP2077 do not have tiers, especially if there is no crafting system. So the difference in weapons would come from their characteristics (recoil, firing speed, range, penetration coupled with unique properties like SmartGun firing system). So if you find a weapon you like you can keep it relevant. But for that there must be some upgrade system (IDK if it makes sense for you to be able to upgrade prototype Militech stuff) or weapons scale with your character.

The important thing, for me, it's that you don't find the same weapon with different labels which make the "epic militech gun MK12" better than the "common militech gun MK12"

Aye, would be a bit out of place, and between you and me, if it's anything like how it was in Witcher 3, i'll just go ahead and say it, filler content, i'll probably run around for set, upgradable items, hope they don't look absolutely horrid and enjoy the game for it's story. It worked well for me in the Witcher 3, maybe it will again, or maybe we'll get something satisfying in terms of gear progression (which i believe at least the games that call themselves looter-shooters or hack n' slasher at least do right) since gear(guns, armor) will probably play an active role in the character progression, unlike a more passive and situational role such as in Deus Ex for example.

This is now a thread about weapons in cyberpunk 2077.

Ok so I've been playing a lot of Apex Legends and in that game you scout for better weapons AND better weapon parts. Blue Stock, gold barrel, purple mag. How about we can upgrade our weapons with better parts. So we still have the same weapon but we get higher level weapon parts for it. This is a good compromise.

Stock - better recoil and faster ADS
Barrel - better muzzle stray while firing and ads.
Bolt - faster firerate
Scopes
Mag - more bullets in a mag or maybe we can call it mag retriever which is basically the bolt but we can just use fantasy and call it Mag.

This way we have the same guns but we just get better parts for them. Everyone wins.

edit: we can have another slot called whatever and this allows us to add a special perk to the gun(s).

This is now a thread about weapons in cyberpunk 2077.

Ok so I've been playing a lot of Apex Legends and in that game you scout for better weapons AND better weapon parts. Blue Stock, gold barrel, purple mag. How about we can upgrade our weapons with better parts. So we still have the same weapon but we get higher level weapon parts for it. This is a good compromise.

Stock - better recoil and faster ADS
Barrel - better muzzle stray while firing and ads.
Bolt - faster firerate
Scopes
Mag - more bullets in a mag or maybe we can call it mag retriever which is basically the bolt but we can just use fantasy and call it Mag.

This way we have the same guns but we just get better parts for them. Everyone wins.

edit: we can have another slot called whatever and this allows us to add a special perk to the gun(s).
This is pretty much what I suggested, but I would have tiered weapons (Street, Makeshift, Experimental, Corporate, Military, etc.) in addition to weapon mods. Basically Skyrim's system, but converted reasonably into 2077.

Makeshift = Iron
Street = Steel
Experimental = Elven
Corporate = Orcish
Military = Daedric

Mods = enchantments/tempering.

Not the same functionally speaking, but the concept and the purpose it serves is similar.

This is pretty much what I suggested, but I would have tiered weapons (Street, Makeshift, Experimental, Corporate, Military, etc.) in addition to weapon mods. Basically Skyrim's system, but converted reasonably into 2077.

Makeshift = Iron
Street = Steel
Experimental = Elven
Corporate = Orcish
Military = Daedric

Mods = enchantments/tempering.

Not the same functionally speaking, but the concept and the purpose it serves is similar.

guns from different manufacturers could have specific inherit stats.

a shotgun with a special mod/perk that adds acid to the buckshot:

Yeah, I like that too, but it may be a bit too much for them to handle. If it's doable, I'm all for it.
One of the nice things about CRPGs is all that table look up can be done in that background. All we need is the "standard" pop-up comparing what we currently have equipped to whatever we point at in our inventory. Hell, each and every weapon could have individual stats if you wanted.

One of the nice things about CRPGs is all that table look up can be done in that background. All we need is the "standard" pop-up comparing what we currently have equipped to whatever we point at in our inventory. Hell, each and every weapon could have individual stats if you wanted.
True, but I was thinking from a 3D art perspective. If we have unique models for every brand (like Borderlands), that might get a bit tricky since the focus of the game isn't necessarily on acquiring "billions of guns" (Borderlands 3 claims). Better to keep it to broad categories, in my opinion.

True, but I was thinking from a 3D art perspective. If we have unique models for every brand (like Borderlands), that might get a bit tricky since the focus of the game isn't necessarily on acquiring "billions of guns" (Borderlands 3 claims). Better to keep it to broad categories, in my opinion.
Within reason.
No need to have every weapon have a unique look but similar weapons from different manufacturers should be visually different.

Top Bottom