DLSS 3 Frame Generation produces severe stutters/freezes

+
So just wanted to give my report, 4080+ ryzen 7700, framegen on. Powerplan already is on peformance.

Had extreme stutters during cutscenes and about -4-8 long stutters after closing a menu/tutorial promt/any popup.

Tried LimitFPS at 55 and the cutscenes doesn't seem that much better but closing a menu just give me one stutter about 1-2 sec after closing a menu so it's better I suppose.

Lot's of general stutter though, but I guess that's modern gaming for ya :/ Guess it's kind of fair in a way, no matter how rich you are, everyone will get the same shitty experience.

Just an update: I found that placing my Windows Power Plan to Power Saver helped reduce the stutter drastically, though I had to delete the other Power Plans as it kept reverting back every time I restarted. I'm on a 5900x and 4090 btw

Please fix The Frame gen issue, I waited until my 11 days off for the holiday to play the next gen version on my 4090, and it barley works. I wish games just worked when they came out. Why even release the patch if it’s not going to work.

Last edited:
I'm playing on RTX 4090 + Ryzen 5950x and 64GB DDR4 3200 RAM.
Gsync ultrawide monitor
Playing at max settings RT all on. But noticed this happens on any setting.

When Frame Generation option is enabled I'm getting severe stutterings/freezes. Noticing 2 types of situation when this is happening:

1. During cinematics or sometimes during gameplay. From the observation and replaying same parts again those freezes mostly go away so I concluded this first type stutters are because on the fly shader compilation process and it get's exaggerated with Frame Generation because DLSS 3 trying to generate frames during those stutters resulting in even longer stutters.

2. This is most annoying situation. Happen every time I close the map/inventory/pause menu or even quick read of the book/note. From the observation and measuring frame rate/times I concluded this is happening due to sudden change in fps. For example map operates at the maximum monitor fps for me of 167 fps (it's actually 175hz monitor but Nvidia Reflex + Vsync On in drivers caps it at 167hz) then when return to gameplay fps drops to say 90 so frame generation takes a few seconds to keep app with new dynamic fps situation of gameplay.
When pause menu is enabled frame gen is disabled altogether (very useful to see actual fps game is operating at before frame gen actually) and then when un-pause Frame Gen kicks in again and that produces a few seconds lag again.
Though I suspect that could be some other internal problem not connected to fps changes that devs need to look into.

What makes this second situation more annoying is that if first situation minimizes itself with time (as more shaders get compiled and stored at disc - until game or gpu drivers get updated - then all over again back to square one stutters) this second situation happens all the time. What's weird sometime those freezes after closing invenry screen could be 1-2 seconds long. sometimes those could be 5-10 seconds. Very annoying. Please fix. Haven't seen this type of behavior with recent DLSS 3 Frame Gen games like Portal RTX, Darktide or NFS Unbound and others. Only happens in Witcher 3 so far for me.
Turning off one of the ccd,5950 can run perfectly without stutter. After playing for 30 hours, I found a solution.

Turning off one of the ccd,5950 can run perfectly without stutter. After playing for 30 hours, I found a solution.
Can confirm this did make it a lot better - not perfect as there was some form of stutter coming out the menu but very slight compared to having the full CPU enabled

So this would lend credence to it being AMD affected more than Intel - it doenst like the split cache or something of that ilk - using a single CCD stops things going over the infinity and keeps it all on one die

CDPR need to address this and see if they can sort it out as Ryzen are very popular now

Mine is a 5900x for reference

After hours of testing I can confirm, on Ryzen5950x turning on SMT solve this stutter 100% (both ccd enabled). Also dont forget to swap DLSS3 dll for 1.0.3, its wayyyy smoother.

Lors

Forum regular
Nothing above helps in my case. 5800X3D + 4090, playing with DLDSR. Still horrible stuttering with frame generation.

Using DLDSR and DLSS together is kind of counterproductive ..... DLDSR uses Tensor Cores to downscale and DLSS uses Tensor Cores to upscale and you basically end up at a zero sum but with likely more artifacting and blur
Post automatically merged:

After hours of testing I can confirm, on Ryzen5950x turning on SMT solve this stutter 100% (both ccd enabled). Also dont forget to swap DLSS3 dll for 1.0.3, its wayyyy smoother.
Why would you have SMT off? It should have been on by default in the BIOS .... And whether you have SMT on or off you still use both CCDs. In your case you have 2 CCDs with 8 cores each and with SMT off you still use all 16 cores but are limited to 1 thread per core and with SMT on you are using 16 cores but each has 2 threads per core for a total of 32 threads .... Turning SMT off is completely different from turning one of your CCDs off

Ultimately the stuttering problem is caused by the CPU threading problem and DLSS 3.0 just causes the 2 main threads that are already maxing out at 100% quite often to max out more often and for a longer period of time. If the main thread(s) of the game engine are maxing out at 100% then your CPU sends fewer frames to the GPU and hence the lower FPS and stuttering. Until CDPR fixes the CPU threading problem with the game engine then everything else is just putting a band aid on an amputated limb

Last edited:

Lors

Forum regular
Using DLDSR and DLSS together is kind of counterproductive ..... DLDSR uses Tensor Cores to downscale and DLSS uses Tensor Cores to upscale and you basically end up at a zero sum but with likely more artifacting and blur

Your conclusion is wrong. The uplift in image quality with DLDSR in combination with DLSS is enormous. DLSS benefits from DLDSR.

Last edited:
Post automatically merged:

Why would you have SMT off? It should have been on by default in the BIOS .... And whether you have SMT on or off you still use both CCDs. In your case you have 2 CCDs with 8 cores each and with SMT off you still use all 16 cores but are limited to 1 thread per core and with SMT on you are using 16 cores but each has 2 threads per core for a total of 32 threads .... Turning SMT off is completely different from turning one of your CCDs off

Ultimately the stuttering problem is caused by the CPU threading problem and DLSS 3.0 just causes the 2 main threads that are already maxing out at 100% quite often to max out more often and for a longer period of time. If the main thread(s) of the game engine are maxing out at 100% then your CPU sends fewer frames to the GPU and hence the lower FPS and stuttering. Until CDPR fixes the CPU threading problem with the game engine then everything else is just putting a band aid on an amputated limb

I had SMT off because I played Kingdome Come Deliverence and on Ryzen 5950x with SMT on i had massive stutters in certain areas, turning it off helped.

Now i can confirm that this problem is tied to Ryzen processors. Yesterday i upgraded my PC with 13900K and everything is ok, no stutters. And the best part is that i have no stutters at all, not only this caused by Frame Generator. In Novigrad now I can gallop on Roach and lowest FPS are 80+ without ANY stutters and visible frametime spikes. My averege FPS in CPU heavy places went from 50-60 to around 80. Game is so smooth now.

Lors

Forum regular
I think my next CPU will be Intel again. I always had the feeling Intel is more consistent in terms of performance (frametimes and frame pacing).

I think my next CPU will be Intel again. I always had the feeling Intel is more consistent in terms of performance (frametimes and frame pacing).

Im not AMD hater but after all this problems with 5950x new Intel is like a miracle. Its so much more powerfull but this is obvious. Best part is that in all games where i had problems with Ryzen on Intel everything is great without beeing forced to look for solutions. For example in Far Cry 6 i had to change to legacy mode because it was stuttering on 16 cores, in Kingdome Come Deliverence I had to turn off SMT because of stutters with it turn on, in Spiderman i had worse perfromance with SMT on etc. Now this problelms in Witcher witch DLSS3. On Intel everything just works great.

And when I first tried Witcher 3 on 13900k I almost cried ;) I loaded save in Novigrad market and was expecting just better fps with same frametime spikes and slowdowns and when i moved and started to turning camera around it was 100% smooth, i was like, wtf. Sprinting, galloping on Roach, everything is buttery smooth.

Lors

Forum regular
Im not AMD hater but after all this problems with 5950x new Intel is like a miracle. Its so much more powerfull but this is obvious. Best part is that in all games where i had problems with Ryzen on Intel everything is great without beeing forced to look for solutions. For example in Far Cry 6 i had to change to legacy mode because it was stuttering on 16 cores, in Kingdome Come Deliverence I had to turn off SMT because of stutters with it turn on, in Spiderman i had worse perfromance with SMT on etc. Now this problelms in Witcher witch DLSS3. On Intel everything just works great.

And when I first tried Witcher 3 on 13900k I almost cried ;) I loaded save in Novigrad market and was expecting just better fps with same frametime spikes and slowdowns and when i moved and started to turning camera around it was 100% smooth, i was like, wtf. Sprinting, galloping on Roach, everything is buttery smooth.

Which motherboard and ram you went with for the 13900K?

Z790 Aorus Elite AX, nothing fancy, but im not much into OC. Ram GSkill Trident Z5 6400Mhz CL32.

Bit late to the thread. I have a 5800x3d and 4090 and had issues with stuttering when using frame gen, unless following advice from somebody in the forum putting an in-game limit to 55fps giving 110 with frame gen.

After some testing I believe my issues are due to having a power limit on my GPU. I had a 75% limit in afterburner as recommended by some reviewer's. Once the power limit was removed, all stutters have stopped. I can now play with the frame limit off and am sitting around 120-160fps in Tussaint.

If anyone else who had stutters is using a power limit can test this on their system, let me know how it goes.

Full settings:
Vsync on in Nvidia control panel.
No frame limiters anywhere.
Dlss quality
Frame gen on (reflex on by default, this should cap max frame rate a few FPS under max by default for those with gsync, so no need for frame limiter).

Lors

Forum regular
Bit late to the thread. I have a 5800x3d and 4090 and had issues with stuttering when using frame gen, unless following advice from somebody in the forum putting an in-game limit to 55fps giving 110 with frame gen.

After some testing I believe my issues are due to having a power limit on my GPU. I had a 75% limit in afterburner as recommended by some reviewer's. Once the power limit was removed, all stutters have stopped.

Nope, power limit did absolutely nothing. Still coming out of menu stutters etc. in CP2077.

Try to disable SMT in bios or by Ryzen Master software.

Won't that hurt general CPU performance? I rather just go return this and get a CPU that isn't making me a Guinea pig. AM5 seems like it's going to have a rough few years since it's new.

Top Bottom