Does Cyberpunk actually use AI for normal citizens?

+
One thing the pedestrian a.i. is pretty good at is waiting at crosswalks. If you walk around the city they actually obey the walk / don't walk signals and if the signals start to flash red while the pedestrians are in the middle of the crosswalk they will then run instead of walk to get to the other side. Lots of pedestrians however get to the end of a block and simply turn around and instead just walk back and forth on that one block. I'm not sure what causes some to cross the street and others to not cross the street but I think it feels really cool to wait with a crowd of pedestrians at a crosswalk while walking around the city.

Most games NPC's don't even cross streets.. they just walk around the block unless they are in panic mode and then run in all directions. GTA you can't even stand around NPC pedestrians too long or else they freak out and run away or attack you.

Last edited:
CP2077 is a Dystopian future.

I feel like some people don't seem to understand that. Dystopian is opposite of utopia. Completely dehumanizing.

The AI is not the best, but it is fitting and appropriate to the environment. You complaining about not being treated as a human with respect is actually the game being successful in dehumanizing the environment.

WELL maybe in the future you are so antihuman that you don't need cash from a customer when your actual job is to sell food? What do you want to tell me to this point? That they made a good work with that?

Sorry but I must respectful disagree with this one.

Also that when you shoot a grenade like seen in many videos they all get out of the car and get on the floor or crouch?

Can't be sure but I can guarantee you would hit the pedal to the metal and wouldn't get out off the vehicle. You would try to break threw as the metal around you would surely help you survive. Or when you stuck in traffic would get out and get some distance to the situation.

Also it seems People still crave for power Lust and money. Everything like nowadays while poor people enjoy to watch shows and celebrities and rich people like to be high class and prestige. But it don't reflect on their behavior or I didn't witness it.

If you walk around the city, the AI seems to only have like 3 or 4 commands. Is this actually AI? Can someone confirm or explain it to me?

Yeah, it seems like they didn't have enough time. They shouldn't even think about releasing any DLC until they upgrade the AI for the citizens.

But that's the thing the Gregski and I are saying.

This is not AI. This is reactive scripting and algorithms. That's it. That's all there is to it. X happens - Y, Z can happen as a reaction to it.

There is no actual AI in the entire world. Some companies are working on them and making strides but none actually have a working AI.

AI is a buzzword used by games developers, nothing more. The actual computing power that would be necessary to run an actual AI is not available for home computers.

A real AI would react how it damn well pleases. If you block it's path and it decides it will not move until you do, that's what it'll do but IT will decide what to do. Not some pre-written decision branch.

As Gregski said, Real AI is probably the next big milestone in games. Heck, it's probably the next big milestone for humanity. Until it takes over that is.
Some kind of artificial intelligence are able to run in home computers but it's able to do specific things, not act like a human. Categorise photos by who's in there, or create a playlist based on some characteristics of a song. Just simple things. To act really as a human do the fastest computer in the world would use 40 minutes just to simulate 1 second of brain thinking. Every NPC in every game uses just an algorithm to know what to do and DO NOT learn anything, and when it does, it is just specific things like Forza's Drivatar that learn how to run races based on specific pattern of each user.
Even the bast open world game uses a human-written algorithm to do a list of thing when something happens, it just reacts.
Post automatically merged:

I think that citizens AI (which is not an artificial intelligence, just a term created to NPC's behaviour) at cyberpunk is actually better than we see in-game, but they cutted some actions to prevent of more bugs. I believe the AI will be polished and released in some incoming update. Let's wait and see

CDPR first game, The Witcher 1. NPC's hide under roofs when it's raining. They also complain about rainy weather.
This random example of NPC behaviour from top of my head, adds life to the game world.
In Cyberpunk everyone except enemies and main characters - is a zombie.

I still really like this game ( almost love ), but open world features are non existent. Almost like something extraordinary happend at their studio in those final months. I mean, indie games have better AI so no theres no way they couldn't do it.

Maybe devs were winging it on purpose due to crunch ? CEO was living in the dreamland with Keanu ? code was awful and they had to scrap a lot of things to make this game work at all ?

Tin foil hat on.

CDPR first game, The Witcher 1. NPC's hide under roofs when it's raining. They also complain about rainy weather.
This random example of NPC behaviour from top of my head, adds life to the game world.

I still really like this game ( almost love ), but open world features are non existent. Almost like something extraordinary happend at their studio in those final months. I mean, indie games have better AI so no theres no way they couldn't do it.

Maybe devs were winging it on purpose due to crunch ? CEO was living in the dreamland with Keanu ? code was awful and they had to scrap a lot of things to make this game work at all ?

Tin foil hat on.

yes but in the witcher, npcs hardly strayed out of non combative population centers. this game is very much in the same vain, it expects its players to be focused on the story to the exclusion of all the akward things related to npc ai. except this time, it's just more noticeable considering 90% of the game takes place in a heavily populated urban center. that said, the ai does demonstrate things like taking cover and running away, the game just needs a supervisory system that tells them where to run to and where to squat and take cover in the most realistic and least awkward manner possible.

to my eye, the dumbest thing the ai does is squat in place in the middle of combat. i think if the npc needs to be stationary for gameplay or quest related issue, have them lie down on the ground instead with their hand over their head. then when the dust settles, they can stand up again or run the usual scripts they run.

This seems like a bit of a silly question over semantics. In the context of video games, all "AI" is referring to is the programmed behavior of NPC's or opponents in the game. If it is an entity or agent that observes and responds in some fashion to things happening around it, then yes, you could call it AI.

Whether it could be considered "intelligent" in a more general sense is entirely up to your expectations and interpretations.

Tin foil hat on.
Witcher and RDR games have far less crowd density. They can go ham with routines and behaviours.

This is an actual balance between crowd density vs behavioural scripts because NPCs take up computing resources. Like I said before: There is an actual reason for crowd density sliders on PC. Some machines can't take that max density load with other settings set to higher options.

Why do you think Cyberpunk chose crowd density over lines and lines of behavioural scripts? Cause they are less computing-intensive and but fills that crowded dystopian metropolis aesthetic. It's a Hollywood background for the Night City stories.

No there isn't any AI. You could devolve into semantics (they aren't self aware), but as far as the NPC game sphere goes, no I wouldn't call it AI. They are limited basic instructions. Think Mario Bros..

The crowd AI could use work in how it responds to the player causing destruction. They have a somewhat synchronized approach to responding that can feel robotic. Honestly it would be better if they fled the scene instead of cowering in most circumstances.

As far as their normal routines go, they're a crowd in a city, an impersonal mass of people going where ever. If you've ever been in a big metro area it's really like that. The majority of people are walking somewhere and you won't discern their routine. They could add some handpicked NPCs that frequent certain areas to add some more to that illusion but it wouldn't be much.

Drawing comparisons to the Witcher or RD2D is a bit unfair since these games are about small towns, where you can make most if not all inhabitants NPCs with individual routines. Watch Dogs Legion has a system where NPC's don't have any routines until you try to recruit them, then they get a random routine created procedurally, but otherwise they follow a basic script.

Better Cop AI, allowing them to drive into a scene instead of teleporting would be more important imo.

"CP77 has the most advanced AI system in all the games. EVERY NPC you see has his/her own schedule, its own home, workplace and personality"

-A quote from CDPR
I think it already exists but it's not in game yet probably because it is expansive to CPU, so they'll fix performance issues before inserting it in game.

We all know CP77 was released as a work in progress game, so you can expect any changes incoming in future updates.

I believe that the game should be really released when it comes for next generation. I think developers will fix the game and release it for PS5 and XSeries when the game should really be launched.

Let's wait and see

For NPC interactions just let them roll a d20 (or d100), if it lands on the 1 they might go psycho, if they roll a 20/100 they offer themself to you as a sacrifice for the chosen one.
Everything in between can be a variance of different choices where 2-49 might be more angry and 50-99 are more whatever or friendly.

For NPC interactions just let them roll a d20 (or d100), if it lands on the 1 they might go psycho, if they roll a 20/100 they offer themself to you as a sacrifice for the chosen one.
Everything in between can be a variance of different choices where 2-49 might be more angry and 50-99 are more whatever or friendly.

That would be very intensive since you'd have to roll a number for every member in the crowd and force some of them on to different routines when the bulk of them should just flee anyways. They should probably have a % chance to spawn pedestrians that just doesn't follow the crowd AI and would respond differently from the crowd if something violent occurred.

This would have the added bonus of being able to code what happens when these pedestrians encounter each other. If the player isn't causing a ruckus and two spawn 'psychos' as you call them meet, they might start fighting among themselves. You could have variants that strike up chats with each other if they are in proximity to one another. Roaming officers that try to break up psycho fights if they are close enough to notice. If you create enough variants on the crowd AI and occasionally replace a few of them with special pedestrians, you'd start seeing a more dynamic crowd similar to how things occur in GTA.

"CP77 has the most advanced AI system in all the games. EVERY NPC you see has his/her own schedule, its own home, workplace and personality"

-A quote from CDPR

They obviously do, Night City is truly an epic space behind each and every locked door.

That would be very intensive since you'd have to roll a number for every member in the crowd and force some of them on to different routines when the bulk of them should just flee anyways. They should probably have a % chance to spawn pedestrians that just doesn't follow the crowd AI and would respond differently from the crowd if something violent occurred.

This would have the added bonus of being able to code what happens when these pedestrians encounter each other. If the player isn't causing a ruckus and two spawn 'psychos' as you call them meet, they might start fighting among themselves. You could have variants that strike up chats with each other if they are in proximity to one another. Roaming officers that try to break up psycho fights if they are close enough to notice. If you create enough variants on the crowd AI and occasionally replace a few of them with special pedestrians, you'd start seeing a more dynamic crowd similar to how things occur in GTA.

Yeah I know, this was kinda just an idea from the back of my head. But if they want to heighten the npc "ai" level, they need to do something :D

Top Bottom