Dragon Age: Inquisition

+
I have to say, owning your own customizable castle is a really cool feature. That along with combat and exploration are swaying me to buy this game. Even if I already hate the characters.

I would find it really odd if you couldn't import your save in Keep and then from there to DA:I.

Or hell if couldn't import your DA2 save in DA:I, just for the record the whole new engine argument doesn't work because it's just a bunch of variables. DA2 had a different engine then DA:O anyway.

I would find it really odd if you couldn't import your save in Keep and then from there to DA:I.

Or hell if couldn't import your DA2 save in DA:I, just for the record the whole new engine argument doesn't work because it's just a bunch of variables. DA2 had a different engine then DA:O anyway.
You can't import a DA:O or DA2 save file, that was confirmed some weeks ago. This is more about the game (and players) coming to new platforms. The series is... what... 6 years old now? I guess a lot of people threw their files away or lost them.
Don't forget about newcomers too, who will be able to make their own "save file" through the Keep without having the previous games; a lot of people rightfully skipped DA2. If the series is meant to have 5 episodes as planned, they did the right thing. Another good thing about that is, if you want to see the outcomes of some choices you didn't make on your save, you don't have to play the previous games again to generate a save file.
All I can say is that the Keep is NOTHING like the "Genesis" thing we had in Mass Effect. It has every choices I cared about and more.

Last edited:
That's really weird to not able to import in Keep at least. It also makes no sense on PC.

On consoles sure that's one thing. Where was it confirmed anyway?

Last edited:
You can't import saves. It's a different game engine and no doubt they didn't want the hassle. DAO to DA2 was screwed up even with the same engine.

As this argument comes up, time and again: The engine doesn't have anything to do with it. It's just reading a couple of variables from the save file and adjusting the game state in DAI accordingly. I guess it is about most players switching platform, or maybe, though unlikely, the savegames not storing the information in a very accessible way - thus the DA2 import screw-up. To further discourage the engine argument: If I understand it correctly, the Dragon Age Keep is basically a website, isn't it? Well then, it's not running in Frostbyte either. ;)

Example for cross-engine save import? The Witcher.

@Costin
They didn't say a word for the people who will play DA games on PC from DA:O onwards. I don't think they'll bother with making a direct save game import.
It would target people who 1) kept using the same platform 2) played the 2 DA games 3) kept their already broken saves. Especially when they acknowledged there were issues with importing from DA:O (and DLCs) to DA2.

http://forum.bioware.com/topic/481695-the-dragon-age-keep-no-save-game-importing/
In the OP of this topic a dev has pinned a FAQ:
"Will there be traditional Save-Game-Import?
No!
Why not?
There were many bug issues from DA:O to DA2. This is the easiest way to do it."
But overall you're right, I tried to investigate the question a bit, I couldn't find a clear answer about that apart from that above.

@aaden
They already showed what the Keep looks like
TW2 (with in-house engine made especially and only for W2) deals with what... 15 variables? It concerns PC only. As far as I know, we know nothing of what they're planning for TW3.

Last edited:
As this argument comes up, time and again: The engine doesn't have anything to do with it. It's just reading a couple of variables from the save file and adjusting the game state in DAI accordingly. I guess it is about most players switching platform, or maybe, though unlikely, the savegames not storing the information in a very accessible way - thus the DA2 import screw-up. To further discourage the engine argument: If I understand it correctly, the Dragon Age Keep is basically a website, isn't it? Well then, it's not running in Frostbyte either. ;)

Example for cross-engine save import? The Witcher.
It comes up because that's at least reason the developers gave. People aren't just making it up.

I don't know why anyone would even want that broke-ass mechanic. It didn't work well in The Witcher, either.

It didn't work well in the Witcher because the developers couldn't be bothered to take into account the variables well.

Look you didn't play ME3 and despite the ending debacle it did a fairly good job with imports, actually a really good job and was one of the biggest reasons that game was enjoyable for a lot of people despite all the goddamned flaws.

People bitch about the fact none of the import choices in ME3 change the gameplay, but Mass Effect has always been a series where story choices have zero impact on gameplay outside of squadmates.

Even DA2, despite it's huge flaws did imports OK with the exception of Leliana and Anders. They recognized choices like your monarch for Fereldan, Orzammar, the werewolf choice, the Circle etc.

Hell if Bhelen is king there's an exclusive side quest for that. Bioware failed with imports not because they couldn't properly account for the variables, because they did account for them, but because of shitty writing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even DA2, despite it's huge flaws did imports OK with the exception of Leliana and Anders. They recognized choices like your monarch for Fereldan, Orzammar, the werewolf choice, the Circle etc.
Not really for Leliana in DA2. That's what they choose to do, not a bug or a flaw, her "death" is acknowledge by the game's dialogs. They wanted Leliana to go back [eventually, from the dead].
Actually, Anders' "death" in DA:OA too is acknowledged by the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BibpNMwC4O4
There were issues with Nathaniel and Zevran too as far as I remember. For Nathaniel I have to debug the game through the console to gain access to a quest in the Deep Roads I couldn't have otherwise (and that will have ties to DA:I I think). Can't remember what was the issue with Zevran though.

Last edited:
...and Zevran, and Nathaniel.

I'm sorry, if developers decide an import is not worth it, that doesn't make them "lazy fucks." It means they think other things are more important. I think the Keep is cool, but to me it's a low priority. I recognize it's not the case for everyone.

Let me put it like this Addai: Do you want Loghain in DA:I or not? Because with import variance he can be there, without them we'd be stuck with moronic Alistair on the the throne.

Between giving Bioware a chance with Loghain versus them making him eternally evil....and having Alistair on throne instead of executed I'll go with giving Bioware a chance.

Seems counter intuitive to bother with it since the games are not considered sequels, but different stories set in a world. Of course I think they say that because they've struggled to find a consistent direction for the series. I'll give CDPR a chance since we know Letho is in, but I'm not crossing my fingers. I think its nigh impossible to pull off in a big way. Like Veleda says, keep it a low priority and it doesn't hamper the writers. Tbh Bioware has had more success in it but I consider them small feats.

Different stories set in a world that is heavily influenced by what happened before.

We are going back to Fereldan, we are going back to Orzammar it makes no sense to not have these decisions have an impact.

As for it hampering writers. To them it's just dealing with variables in a story, which is what they already do given the focus on choice and consequence in the games. So to me that's just a weak argument.

Top Bottom