Dragon Age: Inquisition

+
That's...odd, since they show Orzammar footage in the trailer...unless that's another Dwarven city. Could be Kal-Sharok I guess.

I have to say, owning your own customizable castle is a really cool feature. That along with combat and exploration are swaying me to buy this game. Even if I already hate the characters.

If the gameplay and customization is good enough, I'll be perfectly fine with playing a renegade antisocial asshole. I'm actually rather impressed from what I'm seeing in that regard.

Let me put it like this Addai: Do you want Loghain in DA:I or not? Because with import variance he can be there, without them we'd be stuck with moronic Alistair on the the throne.

Fine with me since I kill Loghain and put Alistair on the throne every time anyway. I get Loghain, but I can't forgive him as a Cousland.

As for importing, I love it personally. Mass Effect as you said did a great job and I'd love it if more game series with choices in it did the same. IF they could pull it off. I don't care if they do it with dragonage or not though since the choices you made were mostly background info that was inconsequential mostly to the game and didn't really matter much beyond a few encounters here and there.

Honestly, I'm glad this isn't an issue now. Saves me the trouble of needing to do another run of dragon age, since I deleted my previous saves by accident.

Last edited by a moderator:
why???

also you recreate Hawkes face again!? wtf is that shit

For crying out loud......
No one is forcing you with a gun to re-create your Hawke again, you can stick with the default face if extra character creation is bothering you that much.
Bioware is just giving the option for the fans of DA2 to give DAI Hawke the look they remember from their own playthroughs.

Sometimes I think some people here are bitching about Dragon Age series just for the sake of it. Like they are afraid Bioware fans will consume the Witcher if they are not keeped in check or something.....

I always go with the default face character anyway for bioware's games, when given a choice. But I like that I'll be able to see my actual Warden and not some replacement douche I don't know since there wasn't an iconic default. Good on them for that.

Sometimes I think some people here are bitching about Dragon Age series just for the sake of it. Like they are afraid Bioware fans will consume the Witcher if they are not keeped in check or something.....
We've got plenty of reasons to be skeptical of Bioware and precisely none of them have to do with CDPR.

I sure hope Hawke's involvement is minimal. Never wanted to see that pile of fail again.

We've got plenty of reasons to be skeptical of Bioware and precisely none of them have to do with CDPR.

I sure hope Hawke's involvement is minimal. Never wanted to see that pile of fail again.

Though complaining about being able to customize the previous hero's faces doesn't make sense at all. I'm skeptical too, very, but not blindly so.

No one is forcing you with a gun to re-create your Hawke again, you can stick with the default face if extra character creation is bothering you that much.
Bioware is just giving the option for the fans of DA2 to give DAI Hawke the look they remember from their own playthroughs.

Woah baby you put a lot of words in my mouth there.

I actually l-like DA2 I mean the story wasn't so much about saving the world but yeah most everything was fucking horrible.

I just find silly that Bioware can't even get all the face data and you have to do it in-game instead of that Keep website. They don't bother protecting immersion.

@guipit
I don't think immersion's not being protected by allowing people to simply remake their warden's face themselves on this. A lot of people like myself don't even have those original files anymore for all of that. I really don't see the big deal, here.

My immersion's not that fragile, personally. It's also not a game that's ever been that immersive. Not since DA 2, anyway.

@guipit
I don't think immersion's not being protected by allowing people to simply remake their warden's face themselves on this. A lot of people like myself don't even have those original files anymore for all of that. I really don't see the big deal, here.

My immersion's not that fragile, personally. It's also not a game that's ever been that immersive. Not since DA 2, anyway.

totally

just saying they went to whole other level. It's hard to believe that these guys have bigger budgets than W2. I guess it isn't a big deal since the game doesn't take itself too seriously.

Now that I think about it, Bethesda also does this with FO3 and other games where they ask you to edit your face after exiting the starting town. There are just too many games that don't care about this stuff.

totally

just saying they went to whole other level. It's hard to believe that these guys have bigger budgets than W2. I guess it isn't a big deal since the game doesn't take itself too seriously.

Now that I think about it, Bethesda also does this with FO3 and other games where they ask you to edit your face after exiting the starting town. There are just too many games that don't care about this stuff.

Sometimes, there's just no way to keep a player's immersion from being broken. Bethesda does this with The Elder Scrolls and Fallout for convenience sake to the player. In fact, on the forums, people actually complained that they took that away from Skyrim, because they said they don't want to do the opening sequence repeatedly when they start a new game and wish to just jump right in. Me, I make sure I get the face right the first time. In Oblivion, it was actually necessary because the lighting changed the look of a character's face a ton, and a "good looking character" if I can even say that for Oblivion, looked a lot worse in different lighting, and it would make you want to restart.

Anyway, when it comes to character looks and background establishing, these to me are things I set up in order for my play to be immersive later. I don't need for that to be immersive. In fact, I'd rather it be as thorough as possible in the options it gives me, instead of inconveniencing me for the sake of "fluidity" in transition to playing. If that makes sense.

I have to say, owning your own customizable castle is a really cool feature. That along with combat and exploration are swaying me to buy this game. Even if I already hate the characters.
Going back a bit... what do you think looks so good about the combat? To me it looks like a re-hash of DA2 with restrictive classes, over-the-top MMO animations, and even a lot of the same abilities.

Going back a bit... what do you think looks so good about the combat? To me it looks like a re-hash of DA2 with restrictive classes, over-the-top MMO animations, and even a lot of the same abilities.

I'm not flipping head over heels for it, but one thing Bioware does well is making every class worthwhile. I played all the classes in ME and ME2, two of them in DA:O, and they all provided a solid experience. Spell casting looks much cooler in Frostbyte. Archery seems more dynamic and fun to play - I'm a huge fan of rouges/ranged combat. You can apparently choose between a twitch-based approach or the tactical view...which, granted isn't fully tactical but looks better than DA2. Some of it is over the top, most fantasy RPGs are. As for abilities, I don't think they've listed them all.

@slimgrin @Veleda
Combat's never been great in dragon age, so this isn't really a point against the game, let me say that first. In fact, after the first few playthroughs, like three or so, I usually glitch the stats anyway since I find the combat to be rather tedious in both DA: O and DA2, and it's always been rather MMO esque.

Dragon Age Inquisition, from the videos I've seen, looks "better" in the sense that the enemies are bigger and more detailed, graphics look prettier, and all the moves look fun and over the top, but in a good way. The game as @guipit said doesn't take itself seriously, hence why the moves look so ridiculous, and why a dude swinging an axe breaks the ground under him and so on.

So, things are clearer and look awesome, and that element is fine, especially since it'll make things easier when planning out combat situations while you're fighting, because it's clearer to see. The game's combat however doesn't look better as far as the mechanics and how it performs. It honestly looks just like a prettier, maybe more fluid Dragon Age 2. Which again, to me is just fine since I never played either of them for the combat, and I doubt anyone does. Unlike Mass Effect, which had excellent combat in 2 and 3.

Last edited:
Top Bottom