E3 Discussion Thread

+
And another thing I want to say guys.... Do you really believe all those games were for real? They all showed flawless gameplay and then stuff like watch_dogs fiasco happens when E3 2012 demo is better looking than 2014 ULTRA PC settings. I think people from CDPR were honest with us and showed us real gameplay, not some staged or even prerendered crap...
Honesty is not a value these days, sadly.

You don't showcase a game like TW3 in 5 minutes on a stage. Time limit is what screwed over this presentation. There's so little to digest, all the imperfections come through. Thus the nitpicking.

A short presentation could have been handled in so many better ways than this though. I suppose that the trailer of last week created an image of a dream like Witcher game in my head, tonight was a rude awakening.

And here comes the game design aspect.
You can't please everyone, so how do you please most of the people?

The combat must provide both depth and reward skill, but at the same time not frighten the "normal" people.
After all TW is gaining traction and more and more regular people, not die hard fans, will pick it up, so they must enjoy it as well, so that they are interested in buying more games from CDPR down the line.

It's a business after all and I want them to prosper, because CDPR are one of the few (if not the only) developers that create such games.

You can make a pretty deep combat experience while keeping it "easy" for non-die hards. There are plenty of ways of toning down the way enemies fight you while still having an awesome combat system. Even the least experienced gamers would have fun with a deep combat system as long as they're able to play without getting frustrated by the difficulty.

Someone made a really good point about the world been a little empty but maybe its just the path he took that seems empty.

Also hoping that the Griffin knocking away the sword and him pulling out the silver sword?(why wasn't he using it in the beginning) is just something made specifically for the demo. Otherwise the hunts will start to seem a little bit Formulaic.

Did Geralt make that fire? or was it there?

The Witcher has NEVER ever been about REAL sword combat. The books have described it very well that Witchers are practically spinning and dancing in their moves. The same will be the case with Witcher 3, the other characters will do proper sword combat while Geralt will do all the crazy moves, spins and pirouettes and swinging his sword incredibl, inhumanly fast he is beyond human and fights in the witcher style, well established by now.
Witcher combat was ALWAYS based on REAL sword combat but with the addition of the Witcher senses which makes their movements faster. But the techniques and styles are all based in real world combat. Spins and pirouttes and all that stuff can be part of real world sword combat if you're really good at it in case you don't know.
But I advice you read my comments better because my actual critique is about the missing collision and physics in fighting which makes the whole combat looking artificial. I haven't said that Witcher 3 should be the perfect sword combat simulator but a little bit more realism would be appreciated. This way it just looks like a game mechanic and not like a combat encounter which is quite sad.

Someone made a really good point about the world been a little empty but maybe its just the path he took that seems empty.

Also hoping that the Griffin knocking away the sword and him pulling out the silver sword?(why wasn't he using it in the beginning) is just something made specifically for the demo. Otherwise the hunts will start to seem a little bit Formulaic.

Did Geralt make that fire? or was it there?

Actually this was positive for me. There don't have to be a cave around every corner. That makes the world far more believable.

Nothing in that gameplay made me think that trailer lied to me. The zoom-in on selected targets, cinematic cutscenes for Monsterhunting etc were all both in the gameplay as in the trailer. I am not worried about the combat since I just like other gamesystems more. And for accessability you have difficulty options. Easy to learn-Hard to master would be the best approach for me.

witcher 3 footage starting on twitch:
http://www.twitch.tv/twitch

surprised by a empty world with a griffin over their heads? which kind of animal woudn't run away for refuge?

Last edited:
You can make a pretty deep combat experience while keeping it "easy" for non-die hards. There are plenty of ways of toning down the way enemies fight you while still having an awesome combat system. Even the least experienced gamers would have fun with a deep combat system as long as they're able to play without getting frustrated by the difficulty.

I'm not so sure, I'm not a game designer myself, but I when I start thinking about certain aspects I see that it is hard.
I've spoken to guys who are game designers and they tell me that it's not easy designing combat systems. What works for someone, doesn't work for another. It's a vicious cycle.

If you've managed to figure out the whole system for a game like the witcher, please share, I'll be very interested in it.

Does anybody know where the 30 min witcher interview will be streamed?

Lets see what the journalists have to say of their demo, perhaps the 45 min demo will be played on pc and run better. Could be that they have to use a old build for the presentation because they aren't as far with the console version as with the pc version.

And on the cloak drama, cloaks will propably be a part of the chest armor. Or the cloak will replace the hook in the accessoires spot.

Well, most people think the presentation overall was good, regardless of it being short and rushed.

There's nothing wrong with pointing out things we didn't like, after all I think that is what makes this forum special. The ability of being a massive fan about CDPR and their games while also being critical about their work/progress. It's a healthy mentality to have in my opinion.

Ever heard the term beating a dead horse? Well going over the same point again, and again with people giving a bunch of mixed opinions over some poorly delivered reasoning really isn't constructive criticism. It is however exasperating to read over, and over again. Just like the feed back over the faces it was boring at best, and idiotic complaints at worst.

Nothing in that gameplay made me think that trailer lied to me.
Of course not, because it didn't, it only showed the best parts of the game, parts of the game that cdprojekt considered finished and more or less final quality. It didn't show unfinished stuff and people just assumed that the game is flawless.

The main thing that stuck out was the going up hill with a normal walking animation.

When Geralt is going uphill his movement should reflect that, with his legs bending and things. It's not a major thing but it can stand out in this day and age.

Just like games that have stairs, some just re-use the same walk animation and have them "slide" up the stairs, and others actually have the character walk up the stairs how they should.

Hopefully that is something they will tweak before release and have the animation for walking up hill look more natural and not just be the same standard walk/run animation.

Apart from that I thought it was a great trailer, I loooooooved the environment, the world looked great and expansive and the way Geralt talked while hunting the Griffin and it leading into another side-quest on the way and actually have Geralt talk about hunting the Griffin.

I wonder if the hunts will all be scripted or is it random? Like if Geralt replays the same hunt will it play out the same? Can you take down the Griffin quicker then what the video showed? Will you always come across the same side-mission while doing it?

I hope that the hunting missions are random somewhat, and the monsters don't just stay in one specific area and follow a script/linear path, but can roam and things.

That was one of the things I hated about Dragon's Dogma, they had these EPIC beasts that were fun to fight but they didn't allow them to roam around and make the world feel dynamic, the cyclops was always here in this one area, the dragon was here in this area, the Griffin always attacked right here, it took away the sense of danger/suspense of finding them out in the wild.

Top Bottom