[EPILOGUE] Alvin's identity

+
There are several theories about Alvin
Some might say that, indeed that was simply it. Others could argue that you meet Alvin again in another form. Personally I say that each player will have to make up their own mind.
Edit: Ahh, just a few seconds to late :D

I don't get it why the people keep thinking Alvin = GM?... Sure, it's obvious they both can manipulate the fabric of space ( and time, possibly), but why not say they are both mages?

velkito said:
I don't get it why the people keep thinking Alvin = GM?... Sure, it's obvious they both can manipulate the fabric of space ( and time, possibly), but why not say they are both mages?
Well, for a start because they aren't either of them mages. Alvin is a source - it's quite clear from Sapkowski (as well as from the tradition on which he builds) that in his universe a source is quite different from a mage. Specifically, a source has magical power but can't control it; a mage can control magical power but often has to get it from, uhhh, a source. The GM undoubtedly uses magic but that doesn't necessarily make him a mage - Geralt also uses magic and clearly isn't one. The magical effects the GM can produce are quite spectacular, but we don't know how flexible they are or how much he is in conscious control of what he does - his ice vision in Chapter V seems more a nightmare than something he fully controls. The fact that the GM is also a source is implied by his wearing of the dimeritium amulet - although of course he may wear it simply for sentimental reasons, not to control excess magic.The reasons why Alvin and the GM might be one are the dimeritium amulet, and the fact that in talking to Geralt the GM repeatedly echoes things Geralt has said to Alvin. How does the GM know what Geralt has said to Alvin? Well, of course, the GM could have captured Alvin, stolen the amulet, and questioned him intensely for his memories of Geralt. But why? The conclusion that the GM and Alvin are the same person is simpler and more elegant.

The GM makes comments regarding what you've told Alvin over the course of the game, ones nobody else could possibly know. Also, he's wearing the exact same kind of necklace Alvin is, except it's worn as if having been there for years. Third, Triss said how it's an incredible feat for even a trained sorcerer to act through the Necklace - not Alvin nor the GM showed any difficulties penetrating it, so they're probably at least of similar power. But yea, the thing that really locks it down is the GM's comments regarding on what you've told Alvin, the fact that he avoids personally facing Geralt for as long as possible, and indeed, the fact that he's wearing a worn version of the exact same item Alvin was. Oh, and Triss's comment how Alvin could even have moved through time. It's really hard to deny the connection logically. The only thing going against it is how a boy in whose raising Geralt himself was involved would turn that way in this particular game, but in the end, it actually fits the overall theme of things quite well, and Alvin has pretty much had the most traumatic childhood imaginable. So it mostly comes down to whether you're willing to accept it or not (your game, you decide what actually happens!).

I gotta wonder.... the thread title says SPOILERS.... so one would think that if you don't want your game ruined, don't read in this thread.What gives with all the posts turning into a big "spoiler" line? :wall:

fiznerpin said:
I gotta wonder.... the thread title says SPOILERS.... so one would think that if you don't want your game ruined, don't read in this thread.What gives with all the posts turning into a big "spoiler" line? :wall:
Click on the label which says 'spoiler', and you get the spoiler!

Just a thought.Lara had many descendants. It is possible that Alvin and GM are two different people. We know Geralt had a long and busy career before being offed by the moron with the pitchfork, may the drowners get him.He could of befriended Jaques before when he was a teen and helped him through some tough times which would explain the simular sayings as was shared with Alvin. Alvin could of met said madman, before Jacques lost his mind. And the demitrium necklaces are nothing new, Triss was aware of it being used to suppress magic in the past. Jacques is obviously a descendant of Lara, therefore someone would of tried to suppress his abilities as well. 8)So.... perhaps Alvin is not Jacques, and either Jacques killed Alvin or knows him or had a similar experience. Perhaps Alvin and Jacques met in and Alvin gave him the necklace for protection before warping out again. Geralt helped a lot of people in his time, one more madman does not a wayward child make. Just some random odd thoughts........ ;)

SimonBrooke said:
in talking to Geralt the GM repeatedly echoes things Geralt has said to Alvin. How does the GM know what Geralt has said to Alvin? Well, of course, the GM could have captured Alvin, stolen the amulet, and questioned him intensely for his memories of Geralt. But why? The conclusion that the GM and Alvin are the same person is simpler and more elegant.
Perhaps the GM simply reads Geralt's mind. We know that Triss can, and while the GM is a source, not a sorcerer, he does seem to be a very powerful source, and Triss does say that Geralt thinks very loudly.You may be right, of course, that the two people are the same, but there's an explanation that's much simpler than the capture-and-question theory that I believe you've overlooked.

Corylea said:
Corylea said:
in talking to Geralt the GM repeatedly echoes things Geralt has said to Alvin. How does the GM know what Geralt has said to Alvin? Well, of course, the GM could have captured Alvin, stolen the amulet, and questioned him intensely for his memories of Geralt. But why? The conclusion that the GM and Alvin are the same person is simpler and more elegant.
Perhaps the GM simply reads Geralt's mind. We know that Triss can, and while the GM is a source, not a sorcerer, he does seem to be a very powerful source, and Triss does say that Geralt thinks very loudly.You may be right, of course, that the two people are the same, but there's an explanation that's much simpler than the capture-and-question theory that I believe you've overlooked.
And he read the amulet straight out of Geralt's mind too? My, he's a powerful source ;)You could be right, of course. In fact, there are no right answers - the matter is left open. But I still believe that Alvin is de Aldersberg.

I just finish to replay the Witcher last night and discover another nice evidence to support the Alvin = GM theory. Strangely enough, I think that nobody mention it until now. On your way to confront the GM on the icy plains, there is a cutscene involving Alvin. He pop up during a few second, don't move, don't talk and vanish quickly. But there was a strange shadow near him. And definitely not the shadow of a young boy :eek:Look! The cutscene ends. Alvin disappears but the shadow still stand there. It's a silhouette of a knight in armor. A well-know armor... But how it is possible. I mean, a 3D programmer can't paint a shadow on the wall just like that. You must have an object in front of a light to cast shadows. There must be a trick :evil: Yep, the GM was just a bit further up. It was definitely his shadow. Quite clever eh? That's an interesting ...foreshadow of the final twist. In a strict literal meaning. Somehow. ;DIt's also very clever how they call the main quest of the epilogue : Frozen ReflectionsIt wonderfully echoes the game's thematic : Geralt gazes at the frozen reflection of a frightening vision of the future, while the player sorrows for the frozen reflection of what become poor Alvin.

FYI, the GM's shadow there isn't actually supposed to be there. The engine's shadow system is quite buggy, and shadows don't actually clip against surfaces, they cast through anything and everything. If you walk onto a bridge and move your camera up, you'll be able to see your full shadow on the bridge, and cast onto the ground below you, through the bridge. It's just a bug. ;)

II know it's a bug, thanks. ;DAnd they obviously take advantage of it.There is only a tiny spot to place the GM so that you can't see him from below but his shadow is casted trough the cornice right on the stone for the cutscene with Alvin.

I say the world may never know..... :hmmm: wasn't a big fan of killing "whomever" the GM was @ the end anyway. What if he was right? (Witchers slay monsters & bandits.) ;)

Remember how King of the Wild Hunt says "You will give the soul of someone close yet from distant time to me soon." when you bury Leuvaarden's friend? While you don't have to give the soul (that's the point where you truly make the decision as to what is destiny), the sitiuation occurs just as the King predicted. You "give" no other souls, especially none of your friends, so that's pretty much it. Which means Aldersburg has to be someone you knew. Also, there's the time travel reference there.Also, remember how, when Magic is explained early on (may have been Triss, Abigail or one of the books, I can't remember), it's said that the gifted who don't recieve proper tutelage to control their powers often grow half-insane, and Alvin definitely got no proper tutelage or anything else; in fact, he had quite the broken childhood, and the Grandmaster is quite insane. Also, the dreams the Grandmaster has seem to be exactly the same Alvin is having. Sure, you could explain everything through other means, but that's an awfully lot of evidence for one point not to be there intentionally.

Hi my names steven stoop from south africa, i've got the pc version of the witcher and just upgraded to enhanced edition, my question is, is there any way to save Avlin at the end, alvin=Grandmaster, i'd like some views or help on this, thanks.

If you're refering to the final fight, then no, it's either you or him and Geralt will always win to fight another day (and feature in the sequal)

StevenStoop007 said:
Hi my names steven stoop from south africa, i've got the pc version of the witcher and just upgraded to enhanced edition, my question is, is there any way to save Avlin at the end, alvin=Grandmaster, i'd like some views or help on this, thanks.
ok thanks for help, was just curious and yes i was refering to final fight, just thought in ehanced edition it would be different and whats the sequel by the way?

I want to ask something to make sure I didn't miss it :) The difference if you fight for the order or Sco'iatel (or keep neutrality) are only political.I'll skip the part Alvin-Grandmaster because we all have theories about that.What I want to know is what happened to Gerald and Triss/Shani..It doesn't really say does it?

Top Bottom