[EPILOGUE] Ending cutscene / cinematic discussion

+
@maduser I've seen something similar before, with X³ Reunion. Not about the story, but about the game, how it works, how to make profit, fighting tactics and so on ;)The other witcher was sort of troubled by all the orens flying around. Why? I just wonder: Did it «scare» him or whatever, or was he more kind of surprised of the amount of gold, because he does everything for money.Granjow

It's simple really: Reflexes. In the middle of a swordfight, i think you won't expect a bunch of coins thrown onto your face. And i don't think you 'll have the time to think about money, no matter how greedy you are. ;)You simple put your hands between the object of the "attack" and your head, to protect yourself.

I think one gets distracted anyhow during a sword fight when the opponent all of sudden throws something unexpectet at this enemy, it could be likewise a sack with iron beads, gems, stones or popcorn (if something comparable was available in the witcher world) ;)

But hey, they are trained witchers. I mean, some monsters throw their arms, tentacles or even themselves against witchers, so why should they be irritated by some coins?Granjow

Because, at first, he has no idea what is being thrown. Then, there is noise everywhere from the falling coins before he realises what happened. Thirdly, his fear that it was a weapon being thrown is allayed by the fact that they were gold coins, and not a threat. Fourthly, the astonishment that someone would throw a bag of gold coins at all, and wondering whether or not to just pick them up. Fifthly, the realisation that he is in battle and should stop concerning himself with the coins. And sixth... wondering if other guards heard the racket and are now descending upon him as well.But finally... seeing the look on Geralt's face, and trying to size him up as a Witcher, and a threat.'Nuff said.~ Roxy

About the end. King is not very popular person.Elves hate him, dwarfs,gnomes,order... There is so many people that wants Fortres dead. It could be any of them. And also, it is maybe begining of a new story, from other game. :hmmm:ž

just wondering...could the assassin be from the third witcher school that Vesemir talks about in the beginning, you know the one that they never heard from again?Alvin=Grandmaster, plausible and it would be so awesome if it was!! ;D

if you read through this thread, you'll see that that theory has also been tossed around :) :peace: -- the Cat school

Livohim said:
About the end. King is not very popular person.Elves hate him, dwarfs,gnomes,order... There is so many people that wants Fortres dead. It could be any of them. And also, it is maybe begining of a new story, from other game. :hmmm:ž
We know, actually, from files and journal entries which are included in the game but not actually used that there was at one time in development a quest which involved Folteest's mistress and a plot to murder the king which she may have been implicated in. This plot didn't make it into The Witcher, but it's possible that the ending cutscene refers to it. And it's possible, too, that this quest was moved into the Witcher 2, and we've simply yet to see it.I've been sort-of hoping that The Witcher 2 would be set in some other part of Sapkowski's world, rather than just in Vizima again - but if it is in Vizima, I'm guessing we may see that plot.

Long time lurker, first time poster. Just bought the game over the break and finished it yesterday. Talk about an awesome experience! The end cutscene had me on the edge of my seat because all I expected was the art frame ending. But now SURPRISE SWORD FIGHTS!Definitely agreed that the GM is Alvin or Alvin-influenced in a major way. The pendant, the Wild Hunt "secret name suggestion", and the dialogue that mirrors old conversations just makes it a bit of a stretch not to think its him. My only complaint on that point is that I played an open, tolerant, neutral (squirrel for the bank) character. When Alvin asked me about the elves I simply said they were fighting for freedom and it didn't make them bad (or something similiar) The GM seems to say HEY HO NON-HUMANS DIE which flies in the face of that.My bet on the unknown assailant is placed on another witcher school located further south. That's just me though. Other than that I'm sure some other groups of mages/warriors may have figured out how to achieve identical/similar effects to create witchers. Isn't the organization itself pretty old to begin with?Can't wait for the next installment :D

Welcome Tremble! :wave:part of the problem with the discussion is that it is game based only, and many subscribers to this forum are long time witcher literature fans (of course, we anglos are just finding out about the original story) ... so part of the speculation is based on what people (who know little or nothing about the witcher stories) gleaned from the game, and the game is not entirely consistent with the written works.so we all get mired in the 'what ifs' ... i believe the "Cat school" only ever appeared in graphic novels based on the original Sapkowski works, so technically, there /is no/ Cat school, but the reference was used in the game, so in the game world, who knows ?Also the GM was created for the game, he is also not a character in the Witcher novels -- but then that opens up the whole argument, as if he isn't from the books, nor is the Cat school, they can both be part of the game context. I guess we'll all just have to wait for TW2 :)

I think CDPR made the right decision to create an independent story for the Witcher, the protagonist of the Sapkowski novels. It gives us all more freedom for our imagination and we don't need these comparisons with the origins of the book. There are only a few references to the book in dialogues of the characters. No one has an disadvantage if he/she doesn't know the books.

Exactly, I'm sure they read through all the sources and came up with something of their own that got the author's approval for it.On a separate note which books have actually been released in English? I know the Last Wish has but is the entire saga just a collection of short stories or are there full length books?

tremble said:
Exactly, I'm sure they read through all the sources and came up with something of their own that got the author's approval for it.On a separate note which books have actually been released in English? I know the Last Wish has but is the entire saga just a collection of short stories or are there full length books?
Blood of Elves is also out. It isn't short stories, but it also isn't really a complete narrative in itself - none of the plot lines are tied off at the end of the book, it's clearly 'part one'. Nevertheless it's well worth getting and reading - significantly better (in the English translation, at least) than The Last Wish

Just received it yesterday. :) Looking forward to reading it, as soon as I've got time for it.Were you disappeared by The Last Wish?Granjow

The Last Wish is no disappointment, especially when you read the story of the Striga and you have the game's story of the Striga in the back of your mind ;)

Granjow said:
Just received it yesterday. :) Looking forward to reading it, as soon as I've got time for it.Were you disappeared by The Last Wish?
I was surprised by The Last Wish. It's a nice collection of well written stories, and I like the slightly post-modernist twist to traditional folk-tale material. But it didn't seem to me at all outstanding, and didn't explain for me why in Poland Sapkowski is such a significant cultural phenomenon - The Last Wish is not nearly as good a short story collection as The Witcher is a computer game. So, as I say, I was surprised.To put it in a wider context, I thought The Last Wish was comparable in quality to Fritz Lieber's Ffard and the Grey Mouser stories. There's nothing wrong with those stories - they're good yarns. But they aren't great literature. Compared to Angela Carter's post-modernist retelling of fairy stories, The Last Wish seems unambitious and tame.So yes - I was a little disappointed. I was expecting something more outstanding. It may be that the English translation just isn't very good. On the other hand, I was not in the least disappointed by Blood of Elves - it is (in the English translation, at least) a much better book.

I completed the game. In short; saved Abigal, helped the Order at the beginning later I became neutral, choose Triss and gave her ring… for the love of my life…Good game. Comparing to RPG I played in last 15 years I missed more armor and weapons and never figured out what was the purpose of “secondary” weapons (beside silver and steel sword) and I still hate game view… for me first person view is the best.Now it is all over; I was somehow expecting happy ending with Triss and our “son” Alvin1) Triss – last saw her before fighting Grand Master… at the end it said she got and important position under king Foltest…. Is this all?!2) Alvin – what happened to him? He disappeared in ACT IV and no more words of him… Could he somehow be grand Master judging by the amulet?3) Vesemir, Lambert and Eske (other Witchers) – what happened to them?! No words since the prologue…4) Some less important characters such as Leuvaarden, Thaler, Ramsmeat, Zoltan,… What happened with them?5) Who was the “ninja” that attacked at the very last scene?6) So much unanswered… Is Witcher II coming soon?

Top Bottom