EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (3221225477), Error reading location

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Had this issue. Fixed when I uninstalled a USB to VGA display driver (j5 create). Likely the same issue as the previously reported issue with the Duet Display driver.

I have the same crash reason. Seems to be cause by Reshade, as it doesn't happen when I uninstall it. Thing is, I've been using it reshade with the game since launch and only today did it start crashing.

I have the exact same crash log. Only thing that has changed since this crash started appearing is that I activated the two new DLCs "Nilfgaardian Armor Set" and "Elite Crossbow Set". The crash seems to happen on random while traveling within the Novigrad city.

Edit: I did a integrity check on Gog Galaxy and restarted it. It downloaded an update for the Galaxy client and the error seems to have disappeared. Will have to log more hours of gameplay to say for sure tho, since as I said it appears randomly.

Last edited:
Patch 1.05 just got live, updated my game. And game crashes on start up.

Crash reason: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (3221225477), Error writing location 0xc8dc0004

My graphics drivers should be fine, not to mention how everything was fine with 1.04 or previous.

Last edited:
I've never seen this until the newest Nvidia driver, and not on TW3.

It crashed BF4 though...so obviously this is not tied to, or limited to, TW3.

Patch 1.05 just got live, updated my game. And game crashes on start up.

Crash reason: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (3221225477), Error writing location 0xc8dc0004

My graphics drivers should be fine, not to mention how everything was fine with 1.04 or previous.

I solved the problem by setting the virtual memory hard disk (SSD)

Last edited:
I had the same error and send them a ticket. They answered me to downclock the graphics card clock by -20Hz(both base clock and memory clock) and it worked!!! Now more than 2 hours without a crash (I couldn´t play more than 5 mins before without a crash). For those with the same error try it :)

Last edited:
you lucky bastards, ive had that crash since launch and ive yet to figure out how to play the fucking game :(
running an SSD too but it was already system managed for pagefile, trying to turn it off since i got 16gb of ram anyways

It's the second time I got this bug. It seems to happen every time the game is updated by Gog Galaxy. First time it happened was after installing the latest two DLCs. Then after applying the 1.05 patch it happened after the first 5min of launching. After I overwrite/delete all my saves made in 1.04 to 1.05. it seems to resolve itself. I played at least 5 hours straight without any recurrence of this crash. Either way it may just be coincidence, but an odd one at that. Especially considering I had 0 problems with this system up to the first time it happened, as mentioned above. Worth a try anyway.

Last edited:
This is solved by:
Updating firmware on SSD
Putting pagefile back to default and automatic instead of off or manual.
Turning down OC on video cards and things like RAM, PCI Slot, ETC.. Via programs or bios.
I've heard of people's SSD's not performing right and when they put it on a actual hard drive it's fixed.
Running memtest and HD test to find out you have bad ram or sectors.

Let me know if any of that doesn't fix it.

I had the same error showing up in log file every time i tried to change into full screen-mode. As soon as i selected a full screen instead of borderless window the game just hang up with black screen, requiring a reboot and editing of config file back to borderless window-mode before i could play again.

Yesterday i installed Msi Afterburner and lowered the power limit from 100% to 97 or so, and after that the full screen mode worked flawlessly and i get no more errors.

My graphics card is Msi Gtx 970 Gaming, and it has never been overclocked since there is no need for that as the card is fast enough as it is..so essentially i had to downgrade the cards original power values.

But the needed amount of tuning down is so minimal it won't practically affect framerates at all.

Anyway, main point is that now i can finally play in full screen mode, and hopefully this same solution works for some others here who are having the same problem.

Edit: Seems i still get random crashes in fullscreen mode, witcher3-crashinfo files in game directory give the same error as before: "Crash reason: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (3221225477), Error writing location 0xbc1f3c97" (this location changes every time).

However this time the screen does not turn black as before, game just freezes and shuts down after a while.

Maybe i should downclock my graphics card even more, or just stick playing in borderless window-mode until the game is patched. Nothing wrong with my system; every other game works normally, i7-4790k processor with 16 gb ram should also be enough for this game.

So this seems to be some kind of error with games directx-functions, hopefully they find and fix the fault soon..

Last edited:
Same problem here only since today

Windows 10 Build 1030
FX8350 AMD
Crossfire X R9 280x
16 GO Gskill
Asus ROG CROSSHAIR FORMULA V

AMD ATI BETA 15.6

Crash in inventory
Crash in Cutscene

Freeze of the screen and music continue playing
Steam version updated with all DLC
French version

Working like a charm before
Impossible to play since i'm in the quest to find "litle bastard"

Files already checked by steam

here is my crash log attached

Please Cdprojektred team ... do a fix !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• witcher3.exe_crash_20150527_122801519.crashinfo.txt
    22.5 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
If the crashes happen for you when there is a cutscene/inventory screen, it might have something to do with your graphics card dropping clocks and voltage when it has not much to do during these actions.

And then when the game soon demands more work from your graphics card when it still is in that powersaving state, the game fails.

You could try changing the windows own power usage plan; in graphics section select maximum performance/no powersaving or in amd catalysts own powersaving setting, turn it off for this game only. Might just help with your case.

hi,
you must make sure that you have enough space for your page file, and, should be large twice your system memory (this is the best practice, but, at minimum, it must be equal). This is the real problem.

*Sigh* so my original post here for this SAME BSOD error, was moved to an entire new thread, but you can find it here as it is long and full of details on VARIOUS types of crashes I get with the Witcher 3 after updating to HoS:

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/65808-Bluescreen-while-playing-TW3

To be clear though, I posted detail here in hopes it would help others that have this same issue, to know what I've already tried (that failed) to fix this issue. The blue screen I get is only ONE of the many ways the game will crash on me, many, many times I don't even get a blue screen though, it will just freeze or crash to desktop.

Anyway, would appreciate anyone who has found a fix to the above specific error or just crashing issues in general to check that link out and let me know what you did to fix it. I also have a snapshot of the games' error log in my post there (in which it did NOT generate a blue screen).

Thanks.

A BSOD issue is hardware-related and, as pointed out in the other thread, specific to individual PCs.

As *THIS* thread is almost a year old, it's best that the conversation is followed up in the new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom