From Ofier's Distant Shores bug. Possible Spolier

+
Just bought HoS, quit being lazy and fix your broken quests!!

So I ran into the quest bug for "Ofeir's Distant Shores" and when I look up online if there is a fix I see people complaining about this for years. I mean why do you people put out a small expansion with little side quests then not fix one that is broken?

Last edited by a moderator:
RidiculousName;n9869771 said:
Dyson350 Thread merged.

Its been YEARS and a main side quest in the expansion is broke and not fixed. No excuse for that. And even if they tried and fixed it and can't, just take the quest out of the game and make it so all diagrams and loot received from the quest can just be bought from the merchant instead. There is your easy fix.

Last edited by a moderator:
Talked to Tech Support and they claim this bug was fixed in a patch but still can occur on rare occasions. What a joke of a contradiction, basically don't expect this bug to be fixed. They attempted to fix it and would rather just pretend its fixed rather than do their job.

I suffer of this bug too.

When they say it was solved, this just not the truth. I bet that a lot of players suffer of it, so it does not just happen on rare occasion as they pretend.

I also bet that this bug occur when you find a schema, BEFORE to have the quest "From Ofier's distant shore" active, which was my case.

Because of all the hype the NoClip documentary series generated on the development of the Witcher series, I understandably got excited and bought the Season Pass for Witcher 3 (reduced on PS store for Black Friday).
As I had already invested a considerable amount of hours into the core game, I decided to start Hearts of Stone using my existing character progression.
1h later I got to this point and having read other people's complaints online I feel utterly disappointed.
I have tried to approach the quest from multiple angles - starting over from before I got it, using fast travel, then not using fast travel and just following the path and carefully triggering the various stages, finding the quest through an alternative path (from the "Rose on a red field" quest) - nothing seems to work.

The fact that this has been an issue since release 2 years ago only adds insult to injury.
I'm really annoyed as the documentary paints a picture of a company that has painstaking attention to detail, yet something the community has been struggling with for years is being swept under the rug?

So that's my day wasted trying to fix this, meaning I'll likely have to start the DLCs fresh in the hopes that this won't happen.

I'm running v1.50 on PS4.

Last edited:
ACSoft;n9883081 said:
I suffer of this bug too.

When they say it was solved, this just not the truth. I bet that a lot of players suffer of it, so it does not just happen on rare occasion as they pretend.

I also bet that this bug occur when you find a schema, BEFORE to have the quest "From Ofier's distant shore" active, which was my case.

I tested different variations of obtaining this quest. You can get it from talking to the merchant before finding a diagram. And also by doing it the proper way which is getting it via this sideqest "The Rose in the Red Field" I tried both on a save file with HoS freshly installed and I got the same glitch both ways. Like I said, they have no desire to properly fix this and just pretend its fixed, so don't ever expect them to resolve this.

And even if they can't fix it all they have to do is remove the quest and offer the quest reward items as things you can buy from the vendor. Easy solution, that what makes me so mad about this. Spent money on a broken junk expansion.

I have been really enjoying the game the past few weeks, but once I encountered this bug then saw the lack of care the company has to fix their product I have had no desire to play this game. Really took the fun out of the game for me.

Last edited:
Gaignund;n9886851 said:
Just encountered the same bug
First post in this thread is from 2 years ago. This is just sad

"Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

The issue with quest called "From the Ofier's Distant Shores" was fixed in one of the previous patches, however there are rare contexts where it may still occur.

I can only advise you to skip this quest or start the expansion in standalone mode after you back up your saved game files and do the quest for the trophy.
You can also try to load an earlier saved game file and try again.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Regards,
Grzegorz"

Here is their solution, the email I was sent on the matter.

I know it's unfortunate and can be very annoying to encounter such an issue (bugs that suck you completely out of the experience and slap you around for a while before shrugging and walking away), but that's the reality with ginormous, bigga-huge, mega-complex, non-linear, open-world RPGs. Sometimes, there's just no way to foresee all of the possible variables that can result in an issue. Other times, even if it's know what may be causing it, it's not possible to re-create it. Even if it can be re-created, it's not possible to fix it. (Coding can result in catch-22's, like anything else.)

Just remember that human error will always play a part in human endeavors. This type of lingering, insidious bug that you just want to grab in both hands and squeeze until it pops in an explosion of discordant confetti. But every time you try to grab it, you realize it's like trying to find the real object in a hall of mirrors. So, TW3 now stands as a brilliant, epic, sweeping, but flawed masterpiece. (The same is true of Skyrim, Divinity: Original Sin, Dragon's Dogma, Mass Effect...just the nature of beast. Work on such immense pieces of art is never done, but it must eventually end.)

If this was a small side quest within the main game I could see your point. But this quest is from a relatively small expansion in comparison to the main game, not to mention its basically an unavoidable side quest, as there is so many different ways to get it. The main problem I have at this point outside of what I just said, is the fact they say its fixed and just a random rare glitch that happens. Look at how many views this post has, not to mention forums other places have people complaining about it too. It is quite obvious this isn't a rare issue. It is a very common glitch and for them to pretend its not is an insult to our intelligence.

And even if they can't fix it, again, JUST TAKE THE QUEST OUT OF THE GAME AND PUT THE REWARDS AS VENDOR ITEMS...simple fix right there!! That's why I say at this point it's just laziness and not caring.

SigilFey;n9892181 said:
I know it's unfortunate and can be very annoying to encounter such an issue (bugs that suck you completely out of the experience and slap you around for a while before shrugging and walking away), but that's the reality with ginormous, bigga-huge, mega-complex, non-linear, open-world RPGs. Sometimes, there's just no way to foresee all of the possible variables that can result in an issue. Other times, even if it's know what may be causing it, it's not possible to re-create it. Even if it can be re-created, it's not possible to fix it. (Coding can result in catch-22's, like anything else.)

Just remember that human error will always play a part in human endeavors. This type of lingering, insidious bug that you just want to grab in both hands and squeeze until it pops in an explosion of discordant confetti. But every time you try to grab it, you realize it's like trying to find the real object in a hall of mirrors. So, TW3 now stands as a brilliant, epic, sweeping, but flawed masterpiece. (The same is true of Skyrim, Divinity: Original Sin, Dragon's Dogma, Mass Effect...just the nature of beast. Work on such immense pieces of art is never done, but it must eventually end.)

+1000

I fully agree with you !

Dyson350;n9901221 said:
But this quest is from a relatively small expansion in comparison to the main game...

It's not, actually. It's the same bug that can affect all other such quests in the game (like the infamous Wolf Gear Chest). From what I gather, whatever is causing the issue can affect literally any chest in any quest at any time.

Dyson350;n9901221 said:
The main problem I have at this point outside of what I just said, is the fact they say its fixed and just a random rare glitch that happens.

Well, not quite. They truly thought they had it fixed. Later, players started posting...once again...that the @#$%!ng chest wouldn't open. Even if they began their games under the latest version, it would still crop up, if much less regularly. It was then stated that it is still a random issue, as the problem was believed resolved...but it actually wasn't. Human error.

Dyson350;n9901221 said:
Look at how many views this post has, not to mention forums other places have people complaining about it too. It is quite obvious this isn't a rare issue. It is a very common glitch and for them to pretend its not is an insult to our intelligence.

Fixing things like this is not as simple as just spending a few hours carefully reading until the solution is found. It has taken the devs numerous attempts over two years to get even this far. The bug is likely a series of functions that rely on variable values that may or may not occur depending on that player's particular in-game options, choices, and save-state (as well as randomized game functions such as the weather or time-of-day for all we know) conflicting with something already loaded into RAM (which is also subject to enormous variation). Now, even an exclusive team of programmers would need to systematically move through all of those variables over a period of potentially decades until the issue could be 100% re-created. At that point, I'm sure the root of the issue could be found -- however! -- it's entirely possible even then that the issue would be discovered to be impossible to fix. Sometimes, the code that causes one bug is a necessary function for other, more important parts of a game. (For example, the fix that ensures the chest opens without fail may prevent creatures and NPCs from spawning until the entire map is reloaded from the main menu, and doing so would result in permanent corruption of the save file. The chest bug would have to remain.)

It's not that people don't care about the bug, it's that there's no way to reasonably continue pounding away at it. Again, in an ideal world where personnel, money, and time were not factors, this would not be an issue for the gaming industry. As it stands, humans are still bound by all of these stupid needs like food, shelter, sleep, family, and limited resources for all of it. Slows everything down.

So, players will, unfortunately, have to play the expansion as a standalone or try to work around it. Also, while the numbers have accrued over time, we're still talking of (I'm guesstimating) ~100,000 reports of the issue since the game's release. That, believe or not, is almost nothing. It's a rare bug, though it's extremely common to the people living in the community it affects. (100,000 people is a lot of folks!) But it's still 0.5% of the estimated number of total players. See the issue this creates when trying to "nail down the root of the bug"? This is literally a needle in a wheat field. That 100,000 people have stepped on. As 20,000,000 people stampeded across the wheat field, many stepping on different needles that were found.

It's just the reality of imperfect humans trying to do great things. The options are:

1.) Limit game design to simplistic, extremely limited code that can be 100% guaranteed bug-free.

or

2.) Take significant risks and create ambitious, extremely complex experiences that can be 100% guaranteed to contain errors.

As soon as someone discovers the 5th element, let me know and we'll put Leeloo in charge of a game development studio! Then, it will be...perfect. ;)

Last edited:
SigilFey;n9903421 said:
It's not, actually. It's the same bug that can affect all other such quests in the game (like the infamous Wolf Gear Chest). From what I gather, whatever is causing the issue can affect literally any chest in any quest at any time.

I have hard time believing this can randomly happen at any point in the game during any quest. I know there are other quests that have issues but if this glitch can happen at any time (which if it happens during some quests it would literally be game breaking) and they just give up on fixing it, that is even worse than just giving up on a specific bugged quest. You can't possibly tell me there is a glitch that can ruin any quest at any moment and they are letting that stay in the game.

Also you quoted pretty much everything I said and defended them except my idea to solve the issue by removing the quest or at least letting the vendor sell the quest items. Why is this not possible?

Dyson350;n9906611 said:
You can't possibly tell me there is a glitch that can ruin any quest at any moment and they are letting that stay in the game.
That's not what I meant. There have been multiple variations of this "non-responsive activator" bug (for chests, doors, ladders, etc.), and all of them are seemingly similar issues. Of course, it does not appear that the bug is likely to crop up in most instances. The vast majority of instances are bug free. But why it's occurring in certain instances...for only certain players...while others work fine...is still a mystery. Why does it happen with the Wolf Gear Chest a lot...but it's never happened even once with Viper Sword chest in White Orchard? No idea. It seemingly could, but it never has. (X-Files theme here.)

Dyson350;n9906611 said:
Also you quoted pretty much everything I said and defended them except my idea to solve the issue by removing the quest or at least letting the vendor sell the quest items. Why is this not possible?

Work on the project has been finished for many months (excepting the 4K patch for consoles, which is ongoing but limited to those particular issues).

SigilFey;n9907071 said:
Work on the project has been finished for many months (excepting the 4K patch for consoles, which is ongoing but limited to those particular issues).

That is not an acceptable reason to ignore possible easy solutions to problems they don't know how to fix.

First and last game I think I will buy from cdpr if this is how they treat people. If you cannot fix the bug take it off sale.
I'd like a refund in the expansion.

Freaking January 2018 and they still haven't fixed it. I was having a lot of fun with this expansion and planning to buy blood and wine but after that I won't. What a joke

Guilenzi;n10302302 said:
Freaking January 2018 and they still haven't fixed it. I was having a lot of fun with this expansion and planning to buy blood and wine but after that I won't. What a joke

Have you tried to reload a previous save before you got that quest?

That glitch happens randomly, so it may help. ;)

For example in my case, i didn't encountered that bug, and i finished that quest on a patch older than 1.30.

Top Bottom