Game Journalism - Unfit for purpose?

+

Game Journalism - Unfit for purpose?

• Total voters
I saw the Costikyan one before it got taken down. "You all want to fuck her"... project much, you creepy old man?

Here, I found a picture of the article I was referring to

Expert blogger by day, expert bad ass at night. Charge Greg! Into the fray! Smite the leering neckbeard, fear not the Cheetos dust, and dispatch thy foe with thy sycophantic sword of fawning!

Socks has a new vid:

Steam requiring funding sources is a great move. Good on Valve. This is Leigh Alexander trying to be taken seriously:

http://leighalexander.net/list-of-ethical-concerns-in-video-games-partial/

Last edited:
The way mainstream media - even outside of gaming - are spinning the Intel story just confirms the rot that is eating the whole...industry? I don't think it's just industry anymore, it's like the whole internet.

Forum veteran
Socks has a new vid:
"Just laugh with me while we sit here watching them shit their pants and fling passive-aggressive insults at us while their entire professional—and I use the term loosely—world burns to the ground, sparked by the flames from their own tortures."

Oh Socks, how we love thee.

I don't think it's just industry anymore, it's like the whole internet.
Right? It's like we're living out the plot of a lazy jRPG where the hero is taking care of something personal when they stumble onto some far-reaching conspiracy that they suddenly have to deal with.

And as for Leigh... I almost believe that she's a fictional character invented years ago to divert criticism away from other game journalists. It's the only way the insane things she's said make any sense. All of her racism and general hatred that we can point to is almost too helpful to be true, and surely a human being can't be that consistently horrible.

why is it men who put women on a pedestal so often look like this:
http://images.complex.com/complex/image/upload/t_article_image/ph52xcnufdcdckfrf3oi.jpg
you have to wonder how well women really treat him to obligate such unconditional worship

Men who blindly defend women come off as friendzone types. Like how they say gamers are sexually frustrated? They're the ones that come off that way. Trying way too hard to be seen as a hero and get that poon. I shouldn't stereotype like they do us, but really, who seems more desperate. The ones not afraid to criticize women and speak their minds, or the ones trying to act badass and basically saying the equivalent of "Come on, 1 v 1 me, bro! Shotty Snipers, stickies only!"

The try hards come off as more desperate for poon imo.

Last edited:
It should be interesting.

Operation Vox Populi. What a mess that thing was, got a "friend" stabbing me in the back like a scumbag because I considered it ridiculous to go after the guy who created it. Essentially a twitter spam campaign to remove ads from gaming websites that some people didn't like and attacked.

Well that was interesting, and good to see happening because this kind of discussion may be real progress at long last, many thanks to Erik Kain, though he definitely writes better than he speaks, but he plays acoustic guitar, so respect. ;)

Fair play to all who took part, but... TotalBiscuit for Prime Minister President of Earth ! (Consumer First Party). Seriously, is it only me being snarky too, or is this guy on the ball 100%, even live? Pretty sure he drove the convo, and brought in all the cogent points.

Apart from reasonable discussion, Boycotting is the only real power we have in our society, it brought down apartheid - that was ordinary people across the world don't believe any government that claims any responsibility for it, it's something I apply often in my own life, and makes me feel more relevant than any vote i've ever made (except the GFA ofc).

Aye it's nice to hear somebody say plainly, I put the consumer first, it's unfashionable but really the bottom line.

Edit: Rumour circulating that Gamasutra has lost a sponsor.

Last edited:
Ah-ha! Janelle had no video. Clearly a man using a voice synthesizer. (Just pre-empting the tone of the rebuttal there)
Watching now, thanks for the link.

"Consumption is the sole end and purpose of all production; and the interest of the produced ought to be attended to, only so far as it may be necessary for promoting that of the consumer. The maxim is so perfectly self-evident, that it would be absurd to attempt to prove it. But…the interest of the consumer is almost constantly sacrificed to that of the producer; and it seems to consider production, and not consumption, as the ultimate end and object of all industry and commerce."
- Adam Smith, The Wealth of Nations.

So, watched the video. Fairly bland, reasonable, innocuous. Pretty good really. While I appreciate Breitbart getting involved, I'd prefer any of those stream participants as my mouthpiece.

And yes, I agree with all of the ones who weren't Erik Kain. Boycott/blacklist is the appropriate customer response. And about the way Intel probably made their decision.

Top Bottom