Gameplay Demo - Your Suggestion/Feedback Thread

+
So my basic criticisms as they come to mind: Parkour and Melee looks awful in first-person, as does the Slow-Mo effect. All three would gain massively from stylish representation in third-person view. The HUD that was hyped to hell and back as being necessary and quintessential for ""immersion"" was basically a low-grade version of Batman's HUD from the Arkham games, meaning that it wasn't necessary in the least bit.

Essentially all problems that could be solved with third-person, but oh well.

So many things I love about the demo!!

If I had to pick one thing from an RP perspective that I loved the most is when V saw the guy she'd had a one night stand with sneaking out, he kind of looked embarrassed that he'd been caught, and yet V seemed to have this attitude of "don't let the door hit you on the way out". :)

Now I will point out one thing. I've had a private thought about 3d/open world gaming, and one feature that would tell me that gaming as a whole had really 'made it'.

I'm almost afraid to bring it up because I really don't want to ruin was is otherwise amazing experience, yet if I tell it, it will be hard for people to 'unsee' -- so if you are reading this, this is your last warning.

Though you have a tremendous amount of diversity in NPC appearances, I just can't help but notice that everyone seems to be the same height. Or at least all Males seem to be the same height as each other and all Females the same as each other.

I'm guessing that, as it has been with other games its a limitation in animation that probably isn't worth trying to overcome, but I am curious if that's is in fact the case?

Anyways I really am blown away by everything you've shown.

So many little details. The options to shape the story. The sheer amount of character everyone seems to have...even the 'mooks' of the gangs. I found Jackie to be surprisingly charming for someone who is a professional killer. The implication of a previous professional relationship with the ripperdoc.

Even the combat and I'm not a huge combat person, but it looks like it'll be a ton of fun! I expect to spend a lot of time aimlessly wandering and exploring Night City!

Last edited:
These are primarily "street scum" not even lower class "white trash", they swear a LOT in normal conversation.

My only complaints-

1. Fix jackie's usage of spanish language. Its not natural. Look at vega from mass effect 3 on how to do it right.

I found it cheesy, rather than cringing, the more I hear Jackie fit in a single Spanish word in every sentence. I love it, but I do agree.

There's a part in the demo where Jackie says "Oh, mierde...", which didn't sound natural compared to what should have been "Ay, mierde..." It often comes out forced when Jackie says something in Spanish than it does fluidly.

I think a good way to insert the Spanish language as part of Jackie's character, without confusing the player, would be to set some commonly familiar Spanish phrases during dialogue where the context is already provided and understood. Maybe even overhearing Jackie muttering something in Spanish to himself before entering in a dialogue with the player in English (other languages, too.)

But lets see how the majority prefers it?

" Pinche malditos. Now I am pissed! Come on V, lets go grab esos hijos de sus puta madres!"

or

"Pinche bastards. Now I am pissed! Vamos V, lets go grab those sons of bitches!"

My biggest suggestion is to make sure that the other options for dealing with situations (i.e. stealth, hacking, diplomacy) all be as much a focus as the combat appears to be in the demo. I liked the combat, but being able to deal most situations in a non-confrontational way would be appreciated, and I would like those options to feel not only viable, but as in depth.

I know the demo mentioned all the different possibilities, but getting that variety in quest/level design I think will be key in the difference between a fun game, and a truly interesting/engrossing one.

EDIT: Also, this is not a request for a totally pacifist playthrough ... I understand that this is Night City after all. Variety is the key, so just don't make me feel obligated to build a total wrecking crew of a character. If that make's sense.

Please for the love of god, I hope there is an option to disable head bob for consoles (and for the PC gamers too!) Motion sickness is a real thing for many people. I don't get it from all games but I feel it from this video. Head bob is a really unnatural thing to look at in a computer game, our brain corrects this for us so we don't actually see it. Some developers give an option in their games to turn it off, I'm begging you to do it for Cyberpunk 2077.

Last edited:
Watching it now, and one thing I'd like to suggest is to make the car sound more beefy. The sound itself is nice, but is far too quiet. I know in the future and even the present, powerful engines don't have to be loud, but when you're buying a car like that the sound is part of the experience. Look at most high-end sport car manufacturers. They have the capability of making their cars quieter, but they actually have a signature sound they always want to go for.

Pros:

1. The city itself, it seems alive. I love the feel of the crowd, how the people act natural waiting for the green light, use their phone, drink something and so on. The "underground" area of the city was really well designed, I love the mature feeling of it and the sick theme of harvesting implants from people, it's just so fitting for the world you are creating.

2. The things you get to do in your apartment. I know it's fluff, but it makes the game more believable. I loved the armory and hope that there is a fixed amount of weapons you can carry so preparing with info and choosing the right gear for your approach is a thing, the wardrobe and being able to control the day / night cycle. I hope more "routine" cyberpunk stuff like this gets added, that makes coming home every once in a while a useful thing.

3. I like how you can modify weapons with tech to get different effects on them. More of that, please. Go crazy. I'd love if those mantis melee blades can also get some mods on them, maybe a skilled engineer can rig some crazy grenades. Speaking of which, hanging on the wall with the blades and melee kills look sick, I really, really hope that you can use those mantis blades with a skill such as that power slide and slice sideways while doing so, chopping of the legs of enemies. Fun stuff.

4. Different approaches to quests and multiple branching paths and the possible outcomes. I love it how V gets the idea of trying to f&*$ Dex over so she can make friends with the corporate lady. I love the mention of being able to f-&8 her over and helping the Malestrom gang even more. The power of choice you have really gives you the feeling that you are in control and not acting on some written scripted quest. Also, the fact that you can please two factions in the same outcome, both the corporates and Dex got what they wanted from you. Back to the corporate lady.. how she treats you, the choices you can make during the conversation, the possibility of becoming violent and the different outcomes depending on who you do that to: that Royce dude wasn't so smug when the barrel was pointing at him. I imagine you'd get another smack on the head if you tried that with the corporate soldier. This kind of reaction and how different types of NPCs behave in certain manners towards you is amazing. I hope that if you go deep enough with one of the factions, they will start treating you more as a friend.

5. Implementation of "RPG" type skills in an action game. I loved how this was handled in The Witcher 3 and I think what I saw in the demo is the "next gen" of that. It's brilliant, and the idea of being an unfinished product is even more exciting. That reflex inhaler and how you made a classic RPG Dash skill transition into FPS real time play and how you control that is quite the thing. I hope you go deeper on this and have plenty more skills like these. That power slide being showcased quite a few times looks very fun to use, I like how you can use it in different ways, offensively to flank or defensively to avoid damage from things like that laser beam on the Royce fight. I also like the synergy between skills, like speed enhance then power double jump to shoot a shotgun to the face of an enemy that was 20 meters away and 4 meters upwards 1 second ago.

6. Combat. It will also be at cons because there are things I like and things I don't. So, first let me start by saying that it doesn't feel bullet spongy at all. This was and is my biggest concern regarding combat. Keep it like that, please. I will mention it again, I love how different tech mods give different effects on guns. Bosses also look interesting, and I see 2 types of bosses which is cool. I hope for a lot of interesting bosses and unorthodox approaches, maybe sometimes the boss is a puzzle or the boss itself is not such a powerful fighting character but the situation in which you have to fight him is very hard (you against 50 guys, surrounded etc.). Hacking that Maelstrom guy's weapon is another interesting concept. Maybe a more skilled net runner can hack things like those turrets or even that corporate flying bot?

7. World reactivity. I liked how the scavs wanted to get revenge on you. I hope that on bigger, more important side quests or even main quests, if you royally piss off one of the factions they will interfere in your playthrough and try to get revenge which can develop in a side quest chain of keeping your ass safe from said faction or even try to side to hinder your main quest progress or interests. Maybe kidnap your romance interest / friends which starts another side quest and so on.

8. Presentation. I love how everything feels natural, Dex feels like a badass gangsta boss, his discussion setup (picks you up with a car, rolls around the block once or twice and drops you off) really gives you the impression you were talking to a true a real kingpin. Same with the corporate lady, felt very.. corporatey cold. Love the different type of feeling you get when dealing with different types of organisations.

Negatives:

1. Combat. The enemy AI didn't seem all that bright, it might be okay for lousy gang members but if we ever fight those corporate soldiers it would be pretty uninspiring if they would run around in the open like that. Some of the weapons are really inspired, like special purpose guns like the smartgun, but I think that this type of weapon should have a more skill dependent mechanic. Sort of how that wall bullet reflection mod worked towards the end. If the use of RPG type skills is brilliant, your shooting game could do with some improving.

2. Lack of equipment we can use. For a world so technologically advanced, with cyber implants and mechanized arms, robots and high tech guns I find the lack of grenades and special equipment usage underwhelming. Maybe that is something you are not ready to show us yet, since I did notice the anti personnel mines. I hope that we will get a lot of nifty gadgets and special purpose grenades to use or even combat "pet" equipment like that robot you purchase in the demo.

3. Weapon diversity. Again, it's probably not the focus of the demo but I hope there's more than just 1 or 2 pistols, 1 shotgun, 1 or 2 rifles etc.

Suggestions:

1. Create more social elements and moments in the game. The Witcher 3's scene with Geralt drinking with his mates and talking about what they've been up to lately is the best example. These scenes should be mostly optional, I will mention at point 2 about the non optional ones. So anyway, these should be like a small gather around of your current collaborators / companions to discuss jobs, how to handle them, short time consequences of your recent actions or plan / collect info about a more serious job. This should be done in social environments, like everybody gathering at a bar or at V's home etc. Small teasers about personal life or chosen friends should sometimes come around, like Dikjstra asks Geralt about him and Triss. These can work as some kind of a summary where if you ever feel that there are too many details and side quests and that you might have missed some details about them you can always catch up on stuff by gossiping with your companions.

2. Non optional ones. I am guessing that the main narrative story is structured in a number of chapters, acts, call them what you will. My suggestion is that, instead of having a narrative perspective on the consequences, these will be told in dialogue. Each act can be separated by some kind of social event or gathering, sort of how the balls Geralt attended weere, only this time you are attending the party of whoever's party (corporate Militech, Maelstrom, Dex) you sided during your playthrough and you discuss the outcome, consequences and opinion of your choices in the concluded act with companions and important NPCs.

Keep it up guys, you are the true golden triple A standard of gaming. And one small edit, I LOVED the trauma paramedic commando team and how they treated you vs. their patient.

Last edited:
One thing that I think would greatly improve immersion and realism is being able to rotate your head without the gun moving. It doesn't seem very immersive to have the gun and movement fixed to the first person camera all the time, so maybe a key that allows you to look around without moving the gun or the direction that you are walking.

Okay, according to that deciphered message from CD Projekt RED, I believe many of the following might be already addressed, but I'll number a few things I have in mind atm:

1- Toggle/holster the weapon when walking outside of combat;

2- More animations to V's hands when she/he reaches for loot, weapons and panels (such as in the elevator scene);

3- See more of the main character while in first person, can we look down to our feet?

4- Explanation for double jumps and more "unrealistic" feats (describing the implants somewhere, maybe)

5- Option for a simple HUD or enable/disable some of the UI elements (such as the names above characters)

And I'll have to add this too:
What did you like? What would you like to change? Try to keep it neat and preferably numbered or lettered.

Speaking of which ( I have a lot, but just gonna do three) :

1. Option to remove the damage numbers above target's heads.

2. Difficulty level where enemies -and- V are both less resilient unless equipped with serious armor.

3. Dialogue options clearly based on my stats and skills - Persuade [3], Intimidate[7], Seduce[2], Cower[4], etc.
Fully agreed! (y)

Edit:
I think it could be cool if CD Projekt RED makes one of those e-mail surveys for us to send feedback; pray consider adding that if you think it could be easier to handle each user input.

Last edited:
40203200_1122010004619979_5464991218645598208_n.jpg

Just going to leave this here. I felt like it was important to show it in this thread specifically. The message at the end of the demo.

Guest 3573786

+ Weapon design, vehicle design
+ V's look
+ Music
+ Animations, from subtle smirks on chars' faces to the ripperdoc sliding around on his chair
+ Guns blazing is a valid strategy (hopefully the same for others)
+ No boss cutscenes (I hate nothing more than watching a game have my char chill in the open while enemies surround me and THEN give the controls)
+ No RNG (that I saw)
+ Ricochet mechanic
+ No looting corpses (that I saw); I'm all for some sweet sweet loot, but not collecting tones of garbage from every tom, dick and harry to pawn it off later.
+ Video chat in the corner is actual video, unlike some other lazier games that just put a char photo

Minor nitpicks:

* Enemies dont react when you latch onto a wall with those arm-blades
* Char creator has actual good looking faces, which is rare and great, but some more options for all features and better overall customizer design would be neat
* "Skip" button during cutscenes should be removable
* Some dialogue choices make V seem a bit more defined that I'd like (maybe more dialogue options would alleviate?)
* Bullet traces: Maybe it's me, but they seem kinda 2Dsprite-like. This includes the indicator for the ricochet mechanic
* Char creations back stories need to be more descriptive. Who the hell are all those childhood heroes? Is my ex-lover a guy or a girl? etc

Dislikes

The hacking visuals: It seems kinda chaotic and all over the place
HUD: Seems a bit place-holderish. Red seems a bit jarring and is definitely hard to read in some cases(!). A cooler looking font would nice too.
The "speed up" section while Jacky was driving, looks kinda like somebody hit fastforward and makes the section feel very on-rails.
Purchase screen for the eye and arm upgrades, I think it should have real-life photos of what upgrades look like. It's no big deal for the eye, but the hand had me all "HOLY SH*T, what did you do to my palm??!" Good feedback over minimalistic design, I'd say.

Overall really good stuff, keep it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, long time lurker and fan of CDPR

I wanna start off by saying that I really loved the gameplay that was recently showed and I have no complaints save one, and I really hesitate to call it a complaint it's more like a sincere suggestion.

Minor animations - specifically quality of life animations I think would go a long way in this game and really add to the game; for example having V click the button on the elevator, picking up the soda instead of clicking it and having it teleport into your inventory and visually putting on the jacket and so on and so forth. You might have considered it and decided it could turn out tiring waiting out the animations in the long run, but I for one think they add to the game more than they subtract.

Keep doing what you're doing CDPR thumbs up great job!

1. Consider an option that would allow you to "download" different HUDs in a story friendly way. A lot of modern tech is heavy on not just feature customisation, but visual modification as well. The gritty default HUD works really well with the atmosphere but having options may help improve the realism of the world.

Only the one suggestion which may make the game stand out a little more from other works within the genre.

1. Fix jackie's usage of spanish language. Its not natural. Look at vega from mass effect 3 on how to do it right.
It often comes out forced when Jackie says something in Spanish than it does fluidly.

I agree with this. Bilingual people don't talk like this at all, so whenever Jackie spoke Spanish it felt very cringey to me. Getting an actor who is actually Mexican/bilingual might help a lot.

I'm not a big fan of RPG games because playing as a disembodied camera isn't very immersive but I think that being able to look at V's body when you look down with the camera and hand animations when V interacts with the environment would greatly improve this. Other than that, the game looks amazing so far and I'm really excited to play it.

5 long years I've waited for this shit. But I'll keep it brief:

Pros
-the environment. It feels lived in and detailed. Stellar work.
-variety in NPCs. Including their behavioral animations.
-visuals are great, although night time looked a little washed out.
-those sexy car interiors.
-Jackie's personality. I like this guy.
-detailed gun designs with cool animations.
-Meredith Stout's hair.

Cons
-dailog and VOs. They're hit and miss. Sometimes cheesy or forced. Jackie dropping Spanish mid-sentence is not working.
-driving looks scripted and a little odd.
-rag doll physics when you shoot guys could be better
-V's movement seems odd, slightly slow?
-I wonder how smart the AI is in general.

Overall, given that this is CDPR's first shot at FPS, I was surprised at how competent and visceral the combat looked. But my big question is this: we saw little of actual game design, especially level design. I don't have a good sense of what navigating levels and extended combat encounters will look like. Anyway, super impressive. Keep up the good work.

Top Bottom