[GENERAL] Why no open ended world

+
[GENERAL] Why no open ended world

does anyone else feel like me. i just found out about this game and love it. but i beat it in 6 days noncontinuial play. and at the end i noticed thats it you cant free play after you beat the game i mean whats up with that i hope that rise of the the white wolf will have a free play after you beat. to me that makesa rpg even better.

Agreed, I think this game is a played noveland it doesn't make sense to troll the areas after the end just for slaying beasts. In Oblivion you can do, cause of the open range, but after playing it a long time I found it boring to enter new crypts with the same look! Ok you can develop your hero but you have no real syntax with your surroundings :)

You can play the game again and make other decisions and take a different path. Or you can start with the premium mods "Side Effects" and "Price of Neutralty". For both you take a new character of Geralt but you don't start from level 1.I'm not interested to revisit regions I have been to. In chapter V you meet many drowners and bloedzuigers in the cemetery swamp and you get bored ot these beast cos they are no challenge anymore. The same tedious adventure you will meet when you roam finished regions.

Having said that, i would not be against the idea of the sequel being an open oblivion-type sandbox game - the northern kingdoms would make a thrilling map. It would be incredibly hard to pull off though, so i think they should stick to what's working now.

The northern kingdoms consist of many realms. This is a bit too wide for one sequel. Let's agree to one realm per sequel... sounds better ;D

I feel that the limitations of the maps / realms is realistic enough for the gametype at play here; I would much prefer a small, well thought-out and detailed world, to a larger world composed of the same dreary textures and regions. The Witcher is quality not quantity, thus perfect to me...

I think the Brokilon wood is a capable place for a sequel. It's there where the Drayds live who are allied with the Druids. There are many interesting places in Brokilon and the wood is a trouble spot for the neighbouring realms. They want to conquere the Brokilon because they are greedy for the treasure (legends about treasures?) of the ancients kings who are buried on a forgotten cemetery. But that would mean the Dryads have to surrender and live in reservoirs like the Elves.

I like that the chapters are pretty much 'free play' in and of themselves, especially the first 4. If you want to be a completist you just have to do everything in a chapter before moving to the next one (well to really do everything you'd have to play multiple times due to the choices).Cutting you off from earlier chapters helps the story progress and lets them do things that couldn't be done in Oblivion. Every area that you pass through as the story progresses, the Outskirts, Murky Waters, and Vizima, all undergo drastic changes as the story unfolds especially as you wrap up the chapters. While you hang out in them doing quests the setting is relatively static (characters going about their days, the city not burning) but things tend to be in tatters after the story finishes up in an area. To go back to those places wouldn't make any sense.Like somebody else said, the reason games like Oblivion can let you roam free is because the area is mostly bland, undynamic. The villages looks the same and the people in the villages are going about their business regardless of whether you've finished the main story or not even started it. What changes in the entire Oblivion world as you progress? There's that huge statue at the end and that's about it.In summary, I think they've struck a fine balance between free play and linear story-telling. They let you roam free in an area, but then it can get burned to the ground as part of the story when you're done with it.

Chuckles said:
I feel that the limitations of the maps / realms is realistic enough for the gametype at play here; I would much prefer a small, well thought-out and detailed world, to a larger world composed of the same dreary textures and regions. The Witcher is quality not quantity, thus perfect to me...
Well said, Chuckles. That just about sums it up perfectly. This game is like a book that you play on your PC - it's got chapters, a beginning, and an end.

The areas in The Witcher are nice yes and I understand the need of a more closed world since the plot is what it is. Still, there could be some areas that are not tied to the plot, it would give some breathing room.

I agree that the arbitrary invisible walls can be annoying :peace: it would have been nice not to have those, but it really didn't detract from the game. i fully support having fewer of these in any sequels :)

Very true - I'd like to be running up against trees and fences rather than invisible walls or a hill that looks just a little too steep for Geralt to handle. Nevertheless, red did a much better job of putting in fewer invisible walls than most games. (remember too that an open world has a big invisible wall shaped like a square)

I wouldn't mind seeing The Witcher as a sandbox game but I can't even begin to imagine the amount of work that would have to go into it to maintain the same level of detail. The devs created a place where the immersion factor is deep. There are very few "quirky" things that detract from this. For instance I love the way Geralt moves. It's very realistic looking whereas in Oblivion the characters movements had almost no semblance of realism whether walking, running, going up or down hill / stairs, sneaking, jumping. It was all crap. Now I loved the game and played for a couple years with it heavily modded. This is a game I don't need to mod to play and THAT is a huge plus in my book. Yes the game is limited but what it does do it does extremely well.The story is engaging and epic in proportion. The game isn't over in a day or so.The world is beautifully rendered and seems so realistic. It's absolutely amazing.The animations of people and creatures also are realistic and believable for the most part.Combat unfolds fluidly and I must say is very entertaining. Reminds me much of Assassin's Creed. Not quite the same but still extremely well done.This game is so good I've added it to the list of games that set the standard for certain elements. Meld the best elements of the Witcher, Morrowind/Oblivion, Thief III, Assassin's Creed, into one game and I'd think I'd died and gone to heaven.

Top Bottom