Gunplay and Ranged Combat Thread

+
Whatever they do, I just hope they can make the weapons in CP2077 actually feel like they belong in such a setting. The guns have to look and feel like they come from the future, rather than something that adheres to the guns we are familiar with in the present day. The smart gun is a great example, as well as the laser based weapons we saw in the demo.

Last edited:
About removing the reticle for normal difficulty setting on PC below:

For PC platform, a lot is improved by simply removing the reticle for normal difficult gameplay, such that a player will have to use whatever aiming tool is already there with a weapon, or, when such aiming tools are not there (tossing grenades), then simply requiring the player to intuitively use the center of the screen as an aim tool if say grenade tossing is arranged for in this most simplistic way.

It was necessary for me here to limit this idea of removing the reticle to the PC platform, as I can have no experience with console games, however it sort of seem obvious that a console game's controller will be wholly inferior to a PC user playing with a mouse.

I think that on part of the director/producer's responsibilities, it is important that the game itself support having immersion into the game world without undermining the efforts at creating immersion which is already there in the game, such that, having the game start with easy difficulty and showing an aiming reticle, would imo a bad idea, something that instantly gives the new player a bad impression. Most importantly, the player should have been informed inside the game before the game starts, how a difficulty setting impacts gameplay. Perhaps needless to say, but If some players doesn't like experiencing a game specifically wanting to having immersion into the game world, then I think such a sentiment shouldn't be what shapes the game in general, unless ofc the management want that to happen, but why annoy the user base this way? (In any case they devs would have some explaining to do I would argue, if focusing on *other* things than wanting to create immersion into the game world.)

If anyone can think of a reason for why an artificial reticle on screen would in fact be necessary in a more realistic setting, feel free to point those things out to me.
Post automatically merged:

I think it is a good idea to enhance combat, short range and longer, by try creating both a palpable tension and in understanding ones predicament once in combat.

For example, running out from cover knowing that there is a single bolt action sniper 400 meters away aiming your way, might not seem like a bad idea if you think you have a fighting chance as running back into cover without being hurt, as opposed to facing someone with a light machine gun already aiming your way.

I think it could be a good idea that more heavily armed npc's/players are faced with some reaction time penalty, if having to react to a threat very close by. Perhaps more plausible, would be the turning rate, if say holding a heavy weapon of sorts.

Speaking of reaction time, perhaps automatically dropping a hand held weapon when reaching for a secondary weapon might be a thing in order to more quickly react to a threat, tasking the player to actually having to react in this way in order to take advantage of this drop-primary-weapon-and-pull-secondary-weapon. It isn't entirely clear to me actually how useful such a player option would be, or how frequent this use would be, presumably the results might vary depending on how encumbered you are in the first place.

Speaking of encumbrance, if movement is important, it could be interesting I think, if you could both carry a backpack or a heavy hand held bag, but also to quickly drop the backpack or the heavy bag, in order to lighten your weight for moving around more quickly when needed.

Last edited:
Speaking of reaction time, perhaps automatically dropping a hand held weapon when reaching for a secondary weapon might be a thing in order to more quickly react to a threat, tasking the player to actually having to react in this way in order to take advantage of this drop-primary-weapon-and-pull-secondary-weapon. It isn't entirely clear to me actually how useful such a player option would be, or how frequent this use would be, presumably the results might vary depending on how encumbered you are in the first place.
Is a nice Idea but a good runner would carry his rifle on a sling ^^ But could be some skill for solos because in reality you need to train this 'transitions' extensive. So you shoot your primary weapon empty, drop it on its sling and pull your secondary because your target is not down or you need some fire to get into the next cover.

if it helps this game was developed on the basis of a role playing game cyberpunk 2020, each bullet depending calibre will do a set of Dice damage. that is per shot , if they stay true too the game mechanics of the pen and paper rpg then the combat should be brutal where one bullet can kill you or maybe if your lucky you soak up 30 rounds and keep on going cause your dead and your body just doesn't know it yet.. but i have not seen any evidence of that, and as far as I can tell this purely a video game shooter. and what ever junk mechanics that falls in too is beyond me.

Is a nice Idea but a good runner would carry his rifle on a sling ^^ But could be some skill for solos because in reality you need to train this 'transitions' extensive. So you shoot your primary weapon empty, drop it on its sling and pull your secondary because your target is not down or you need some fire to get into the next cover.

lets put some perspective on this , yea you can open carry a rifle but just think what happens to you in the real world if you decide too take your AR for walk. but this is cyberpunk, sure you can advertise that your strapped and ready for anything but hell if was a gang banger and I wanted some heavy hard ware well I would be looking at you .. id be "shit I always wanted an AR-15" bang bang bang bang your dead bang bang just to be sure. " nice shoes by the way."

Last edited:
Whatever they do, I just hope they can make the weapons in CP2077 actually feel like they belong in such a setting. The guns have to look and feel like they come from the future, rather than something that adheres to the guns we are familiar with in the present day. The smart gun is a great example, as well as the laser based weapons we saw in the demo.

But not exclusively. Cyberpunk is not a clean future without any connection to its past. Regarding the city CDPR said, that they want to design a believable city where futuristic buildings and old buildings coexist or new stuff is build on top of the old one. This should also be true for the weapons. The AK47 got first produced in 1949 but is still in use and still produced in an updated form. So people on the streets are not always able to get the newest weapons, so some old weapons will also do the job.

But not exclusively. Cyberpunk is not a clean future without any connection to its past. Regarding the city CDPR said, that they want to design a believable city where futuristic buildings and old buildings coexist or new stuff is build on top of the old one. This should also be true for the weapons. The AK47 got first produced in 1949 but is still in use and still produced in an updated form. So people on the streets are not always able to get the newest weapons, so some old weapons will also do the job.

I agree in fact older guns should be in the game and be more prolific than the newer guns. lols its quite easy too take the wiki information on any gun and translate it too Cyberpunk 2020 gun stats. but to be honest besides V's pistol, the shotgun and the other weapons don't look like the Original cyberpunk 2020 guns even tho they have said they will be there, in any case I hope they are included along with modern real life counterparts.

Can we discuss "dream guns" here? Personally, I'd like to see an smg in a 5.7x28.
P90?

Not a bad weapon for close range engagements (as is true with any SMG).
The 5.7x28 has decent penetration (due to it's velocity) but lacks a bit when it comes to damage/injury.
So it comes to the classic paradox; do you want to down your target with one round or need to hit them twice?

Keep in mind we're talking on average here. Sure any bullet can, sometimes, drop someone with a single hit.

I was looking at the light A.P properties with standard "ball" rounds...A cheap way to get through those pesky "armored t-shirts." And no expensive A.P. / dual purpose rounds. As far as a "one hit mankiller? How about an AA-12 loaded with flechet rounds or #00 Buck shot.

I'd like to see some sniper rifles but I don't know how this fits CP2020 and if it makes sense in CP77 gameplay.

lets put some perspective on this , yea you can open carry a rifle but just think what happens to you in the real world if you decide too take your AR for walk. but this is cyberpunk, sure you can advertise that your strapped and ready for anything but hell if was a gang banger and I wanted some heavy hard ware well I would be looking at you .. id be "shit I always wanted an AR-15" bang bang bang bang your dead bang bang just to be sure. " nice shoes by the way."

Well if you have your heavy artillery by hand you should strap them in some way to your body. If you carry them concealed (a rifle ?) i would still throw the sling over my head after im in the first cover. So this is not so much the problem, i don´t say one should run all the time in full combat gear but besides from little ambushes...as someone like a solo you should choose your fights and if you choose to go guns blazing you should have your weapons ready

I'd like to see some sniper rifles but I don't know how this fits CP2020 and if it makes sense in CP77 gameplay.

Just like in real life. there is room for snipers in Cyberpunk 2020. I know there is a rather surprising lack of sniper rifles listed in the core rule book. but I just look at the stats for real sniper rifles on wiki and convert. and there is however the Remington Sniper rifle in the "Protect Serve" source book (it outlines what life is like as a cop in cyberpunk 2020 in great detail, great source book if you want players too play as law enforcement.) and I am certain there are other sniper rifles listed in other source books as well. . as for the game to be honest snipping is one of those activities that reveal the flaws of sandbox type games that breaks the immersion. there is a reason you mostly see it in FPS games. like most Sandbox games the Npc and the sprites are spawned in around the character and chances are when you climb to the top of that crane too shoot people your not going too see anyone other than other player characters. cause you are too far away for the NPC's or Sprites too spawn . and too my understanding this is still the limitation.

Last edited:
like most Sandbox games the Npc and the sprites are spawned in around the character and chances are when you climb to the top of that crane too shoot people your not going too see anyone other than other player characters. cause you are too far away for the NPC's or Sprites too spawn . and too my understanding this is still the limitation.

Good point. Also it could be a bit OP. You would probably be able to do a lot of damage until you get caught. But this depends on how t he environment reacts of you attack/kill NPCs.

I hope that i can play usefull as a sniper...so engage on long Distances while the enemies will stay notice me....but please make it so that i won´t need a sniper on 100 meters.... a little more :D

Guest 4211861

The guns need more weight to them, more heft, that's what I said since the beginning.

And that we also need more guns.

But other than the weight and number of models to choose from, I'm OK with what's on offer.

I hope that i can play usefull as a sniper...so engage on long Distances while the enemies will stay notice me....but please make it so that i won´t need a sniper on 100 meters.... a little more :D
Yeah, I tend to find most video game combat rather amusing.
I spent years hitting 500m bullseyes with iron sights using M14s, M16s, M16A1s, and M16A2s (and an assortment of other nations weapons and civilian firearms).

I guess since most games don't model distances much more then 50m (if that far) they "need" to require sniper weapons at their version of "extreme" distance in order to make them worth including in the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom