Hairworks is getting closer and closer to being viable with each patch

+
Hairworks is getting closer and closer to being viable with each patch

And I'm sure it already is for those with better hardware or higher tolerance to dips, so let's get that out if the way first.

I always test hairworks in the rain, while in the middle of a pack of wolves as I find this the most demanding scenario, and with each patch I've gone from mid 30s > mid 40s > low 50s. 60fps without dips is always what I aim for as I'm very sensitive to dips and I adjust settings until I hit that goal and I'm starting to think hairworks could be a part of my future soon if the devs continue at this pace, I just wonder how much more optimisation can be done to hairworks? (Devs?).

PS: Monsters only option, please.

I can't run hairworks if I'm running the game at 2560x1600 on my 30" ips monitor. well I can but I'll I'll get around 35-45fps
But on 1920x1200, I can run hairworks + everything ultra at 60+ frames. yay!

And yes when rain falls frames do drop a tiny bit! Even without hairworks on.

And I'm sure it already is for those with better hardware or higher tolerance to dips, so let's get that out if the way first.

I always test hairworks in the rain, while in the middle of a pack of wolves as I find this the most demanding scenario, and with each patch I've gone from mid 30s > mid 40s > low 50s. 60fps without dips is always what I aim for as I'm very sensitive to dips and I adjust settings until I hit that goal and I'm starting to think hairworks could be a part of my future soon if the devs continue at this pace, I just wonder how much more optimisation can be done to hairworks? (Devs?).

PS: Monsters only option, please.

There needs to be Monsters Only , Lead Female Characters , Geralt , all with seperate tick Boxes.

My FPS still drops to 30-35 with Hairworks On

Maybe because it's Nvidia hairworks and you're using an AMD card? I would guess it works better on Nvidia cards but I don't know. And frame rate will always differ with differing hardware, I'm just saying the devs are doing a fantastic job improving hairworks to the point of viability, at least for my setup. Every patch squeezes a few more FPS, and if they keep going at the current pace I will hit the holy grail of 60fps locked with it enabled soon enough.

Honestly I think Geralt looks better with it off, but monsters just look incredible with it on, I just fought a bear and nearly died because I wanted to look at its fur :D

Does anyone else get the annoying flop of hair when a character is loaded in a cutscene? So if the camera pans to another charcter, then back to geralt again, it's as if a magical gust of wind blows his hair up for a second then it settles again.

And wind effects indoors? Hair blowing and dangly bits on the armor flapping about?

Yea, it get's more viable because the non-hairworks FPS keeps dropping with each patch. ;)

Yea, it get's more viable because the non-hairworks FPS keeps dropping with each patch. ;)

I lost a few FPS with the last patch as they changed ultra textures to 16AF from 8AF, while a few FPS usually doesn't matter if you're right on the edge of 60fps locked like I was it made all the difference, so I manually forced it back to 8X.

I have 2x GTX680 in SLI. With hairworks on my fps = 40 ; without hairworks on (all other settings remain the same) my fps = 90. I posted already on tech forum:
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...ent-issue-in-patch-1-04?p=1703919#post1703919
also see on Imgur:
http://imgur.com/a/t1cTI

Anyone else has this problem? I read somewhere it could be related to older cards with Kepler architecture (GTX 600 and GTX 700) while those with Maxwell architecture have a decent performance improvement.

Kepler GPUs are having issues right now, and Nvidia are aware of it. A driver update is in the works to improve the situation: https://forums.geforce.com/default/...he-witcher-3-wild-hunt-/post/4537394/#4537394

While it may become more and more viable out of a performance perspective, I think the hair looks unnatural with it on. It flaps around way more than normal hair would do, it looks more heavy, like glass fiberoptics. And well, it looks insanely shiny too. I would play with it off even if my GPU could handle the strain, it just looks better with it off :D

While it may become more and more viable out of a performance perspective, I think the hair looks unnatural with it on. It flaps around way more than normal hair would do, it looks more heavy, like glass fiberoptics. And well, it looks insanely shiny too. I would play with it off even if my GPU could handle the strain, it just looks better with it off :D

I agree that Geralt's hair looks better with it off, but my God, monsters look incredible with it on. I really hope they add a monsters only option.

I agree that Geralt's hair looks better with it off, but my God, monsters look incredible with it on. I really hope they add a monsters only option.

Oh, now a Monster only option would be great! I'm getting a 980 in 4 weeks and would love to be able to turn this on just for that reason.

I really don't see that much difference in the performance of HairWorks. The stopic starter indicates he has gained 15-20 fps with HairWorks enabled. I have a GTX 970 and I have gained almost nothing, maybe 2-3 fps. If a large pack of wolves attacks me then performance still drops to 35-40 fps. Without HairWorks I have fps locked at 60 fps (unlocked it is 60-80 fps). So the performance penalty of having HairWorks enabled on a GTX 970 is still HUGE. And the performance penalty on Kepler cards should be even larger, since they are much slower at tesselation. I run the game at 1080p (Foliage Visibility Range: High).

GTX 970 user here.

Framerate has been 45fps since launch, has not changed via patch.

Is it normal for hairworks hair to not lie down on the shoulders/back of non-starting armor, or is this another bug?

Also, do I see correctly that only Geralt and monsters have hairworks? Bug?

The DLC hairstyles do not have hairworks. Bug?

Thanks!

@Eruvadhor (for some reason I can't reply with quote...)The hairworks options for 'only Geralt' and 'Geralt and mosters' are the sole two options to choose from, although a 'monsters only' option would be welcome indeed!As to the DLC hairstyles, I'm pretty certain I read somewhere before (apologies for not remembering the source) that these are not hairworks enabled, in the same way that DLC beards are not affected by the 'dynamic growth' effectHope that helps somewhat! :)

Maybe because it's Nvidia hairworks and you're using an AMD card? I would guess it works better on Nvidia cards but I don't know. And frame rate will always differ with differing hardware, I'm just saying the devs are doing a fantastic job improving hairworks to the point of viability, at least for my setup. Every patch squeezes a few more FPS, and if they keep going at the current pace I will hit the holy grail of 60fps locked with it enabled soon enough.

Honestly I think Geralt looks better with it off, but monsters just look incredible with it on, I just fought a bear and nearly died because I wanted to look at its fur :D

Nvidia pretty much stated since it's a perk feature added specifically for their own cards they aren't going to simply handout and share their source code to the competition for them to "tweak" it. From a business standpoint, completely understandable which is why the title of the Option in the UI states, "NVIDIA HAIRWORKS"

---------- Updated at 06:29 PM ----------

i turned hairworks on and yet dunno what it does :p

Look at before and after shots in the Hairworks screen pics... http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-graphics-performance-and-tweaking-guide#nvidia-hairworks-config-file-tweak

GTX 970 user here.

Framerate has been 45fps since launch, has not changed via patch.

Is it normal for hairworks hair to not lie down on the shoulders/back of non-starting armor, or is this another bug?

Also, do I see correctly that only Geralt and monsters have hairworks? Bug?

The DLC hairstyles do not have hairworks. Bug?

Thanks!

Hmm, it's strange you've seen no improvement, each patch has given me a small improvement to hairworks performance.

Top Bottom