Highest level monster you have seen

+
Just came across a level 48 Griffin, killed him (I was 34) and got some okay gear. Seen any others?

Totally badass though man. I did not know monsters got to level 48. How long did it take you to take the bugger down? Any tips you could share? I would lose my mind if I could kill a monster that is 10 levels ahead of mine.. Ive tried and it takes forever on top that no matter how long or hard I try. I die.. lool Thanks for your post though! Really cool!

Yea what level is the ?? with red text and a red skull above count as? lol. I have found a couple like that so far :p

Means you yourself are too low a level for the monsters level to be displayed. Ive found a couple of those(a fiend, an elemental and even a grave hag), just to come back later and then find out theyve been around level 30 and only been displayed as ?? while i was still level 12 or so.

They do if you tell us your level.

Can you elaborate on this? lol

---------- Updated at 06:28 PM ----------

Means you yourself are too low a level for the monsters level to be displayed. Ive found a couple of those(a fiend, an elemental and even a grave hag), just to come back later and then find out theyve been around level 30 and only been displayed as ?? while i was still level 12 or so.

Thank you for clarification. Makes sense I guess lol

Totally badass though man. I did not know monsters got to level 48. How long did it take you to take the bugger down? Any tips you could share? I would lose my mind if I could kill a monster that is 10 levels ahead of mine.. Ive tried and it takes forever on top that no matter how long or hard I try. I die.. lool Thanks for your post though! Really cool!
Not sure if sarcastic but.............
he was gonna 2 hit kill me, took a while. Just waited for him to come down, couple of shots, back off then rinse and repeat. Dropped a pretty good L33 sword Black Unicorn and L31 Alder Folk Boots which I have never seen before.

Last edited:
Not sure if sarcastic but.............
he was gonna 2 hit kill me, took a while. Just waited for him to come down, couple of shots, back off then rinse and repeat. Dropped a pretty good L33 sword Black Unicorn.

Haha. No I wasn't being sarcastic. I do come off that way though sometimes. I get really excited about little things sometimes! I can't wait until I can take down big monsters like that. Was just curious to know your strategy. Your crossbow is a craft or what? Are you using special ammunition? I rarely use the crossbow but am beginning to think I should. Anyways! Thanks for sharing!

It sounded completely sincere to me, actually and was patiently waiting for the reply explaining the "how you did it" too. ~shrugs~

Internet makes weird things happen.

It sounded completely sincere to me, actually and was patiently waiting for the reply explaining the "how you did it" too. ~shrugs~

Internet makes weird things happen.
No worries mate been on many forums and have become a bit cynical. He was a bit easier than I thought, when I first saw him I thought "I'm dead" but just let him fly around and when he landed couple of smacks with quen on. Soon as he broke quen I ran away fast, then repeated. Btw didn't use crossbow once, just waited for him to swoop then land.

he was SW from Urialla harbour (Skellige) on an island.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that highest monster level for current version of game was 42. Another reason I got really excited. I love this game and totally nerd out on it hardcore lol..

At level 21 I saw a 32 Cyclops. Saw a lot of ?? in the early stages of the game, especially in southern Velen and Skellige.

Highest above me I've killed was 8 levels on the second to highest difficulty setting. He was a Wyvern and there was a lot of Quen and Aard, so I was using enhanced / superior Swallow to help with Vitality regen. (wish I could bind the casting of specific signs in this game (like Witcher 2 PC), it would save SOOO much menu spamming on the harder difficulties. Combat would flow better imo) Superior Draconid oil was used on my silver sword. My general tactic was to Aard him to the ground when flying, or counter + attack if my vitality was still recuperating, and get as many strong hits in as possible. Typically this was 2-3, plus a single fast attack if I was lucky. If he was on the ground, I would dodge to his side as he was starting an attack and get a couple strong hits in before dodging to avoid his attack. Some times you can chain this tactic, meaning dodge + attack, dodge again + attack, etc. It will look like he is chasing his tail in a circle. You can also level up your bow & arrows, but I didn't find this very effective. I probably didn't level the skill far enough to be honest. The fight took a while, but eventually you whittle them down.

Top Bottom