Horses in TW3

+
Horses in TW3

The Witcher The Third The Game is going to have horses, that is a reality I've come to accept. But that raises questions on how the way Geralt Whitemane's equestrian companions will feature in the his latest round of Witchering.
So, in a world where magical beasts of the fright inducing variety roam about, would it make sense to have horses in it? I mean, I know there are boring old animals inhabiting the forests of The Witcher setting, but I'm guessing here that the devs will be placing herds of horses everywhere for the players to capture, tame and ride. Wild horses, even in the medieval ages of the real world, were only ever found in the steppes of the Urals.

Being able to charm an Equus ferus whenever you need one also begs the question about the relevance of buying these mammalian quadrupeds off the market. So, would someone more in the know than me want to clear things up a bit?

The Witcher The Third The Game is going to have horses, that is a reality I've come to accept. But that raises questions on how the way Geralt Whitemane's equestrian companions will feature in the his latest round of Witchering.
So, in a world where magical beasts of the fright inducing variety roam about, would it make sense to have horses in it? I mean, I know there are boring old animals inhabiting the forests of The Witcher setting, but I'm guessing here that the devs will be placing herds of horses everywhere for the players to capture, tame and ride. Wild horses, even in the medieval ages of the real world, were only ever found in the steppes of the Urals.

Being able to charm an Equus ferus whenever you need one also begs the question about the relevance of buying these mammalian quadrupeds off the market. So, would someone more in the know than me want to clear things up a bit?

It is a fantasy world, everything makes sense as long as the devs want it to. And besides you'll have a hard time navigating this huge world without a horse.

It is a fantasy world, everything makes sense as long as the devs want it to. And besides you'll have a hard time navigating this huge world without a horse.
Then I'm rather glad the devs didn't decide to add assault rifles as well. I'm not against horses, some mode of fast travel is absolutely needed for an open world game. The thing I'm curious and concerned about is the execution of said mechanics.

Last edited:
I see what you mean. I assume the 'multi-region' open world will solve the issue. In the warmer parts we might be able to find wild horses but since the region is being ravaged by war, we're unlikely to find horses (and many other things) for sale as easily. Then you have urban areas such as Novigrad where you're unlikely to stumble upon a wild horse but there should be plenty of vendors. Finally, Skellige might be a mix of the two. Only the devs know for sure, though.

As for rarity, the world is scaled down so that would make it easier to seek out random herds. But I expect it's probably going to be a fairly 'gamified' element for the sake of convenience.

Was there any mention of wild horses, yet?

I don't recall and it didn't even occur to me that there might be wild horses. If anything, I suggest the occasional lost warhorse roaming No Man's Land, preferably near the sites of battles or skirmishes, not a big fan of having wild herds.

Horses existed and were tamed by people in the real world.
In the real world countless beasts can kill horses and their kin as well.I don't see why this is impossible for the witcher world.Horses would be extremely valuable for humans.

Also what's with the sweaty muscular backs part(sounds weird lol)? :s Maybe you will need to craft a saddle for every horse you attempt to tame.

Last edited:
Then I'm rather glad the devs didn't decide to add assault rifles as well. I'm not against horses, some mode of fast travel is absolutely needed for an open world game. The thing I'm curious and concerned about is the execution of said mechanics.

There are horses in Sapkowski's books and afaik no mentions of assault rifles.

But you need wild horses to actually exist in order to be tamed, right? The Equus was bumped off from the wilds centuries ago in the real world, much before the medieval age began.
Irrelevant to the topic, but unlike what you say about "In the real world countless beasts can kill horses and their kin as well", the only natural predator of wild horses is the wolf.
Again, I'm not arguing against adding horses, I only want to make sure they aren't use-and-throw like the cars in a GTA game.

There are horses in Sapkowski's books and afaik no mentions of assault rifles.
Then it may cause you some fair amount of consternation to know CDPR differs quite a lot from the established works in many aspects, and his latest Season of Storms takes a big fat shit on what has been established in the games.

Again, I'm not arguing against adding horses, I only want to make sure they aren't use-and-throw like the cars in a GTA game.
They'll have stats. I guess if ditch your current horse or if it dies, you'll lose the stats as well.

They'll have stats. I guess if ditch your current horse or if it dies, you'll lose the stats as well.
Wow, I didn't know that. If it isn't too much trouble, could you give me a link that gives some details about how horses will function in W3

Was there any mention of wild horses, yet?

I don't recall and it didn't even occur to me that there might be wild horses. If anything, I suggest the occasional lost warhorse roaming No Man's Land, preferably near the sites of battles or skirmishes, not a big fan of having wild herds.

Yes, there is no need for real wild horses. There should be enough abandoned horses in NML.

I wonder why so many morons post bullshit in this thread. OP definetly asked a legitimate question.

Answer is, we don't know how CDPR will handle this. I really doubt you will encounter wild horses. You are likely going to be able to buy or steal one near the towns and the horse is going to follow you around when you are dismounted.

I wonder why so many morons post bullshit in this thread. OP definetly asked a legitimate question.

Answer is, we don't know how CDPR will handle this. I really doubt you will encounter wild horses. You are likely going to be able to buy or steal one near the towns and the horse is going to follow you around when you are dismounted.

I came across an interview that said you could ride wild horses after charming them with Axis, and they would run away when you dismounted them.

Top Bottom