Horses in TW3

+
1: Yes, imo it is way more realistic than a horse getting headshotted by an arrow and being ok, its on the same level as you whistling to a horse and it sprouting out of nowhere, its something that can be easily overlooked for the sake of convenience, while immortality imo isn't

2: In RDR nobody ever complained about the horse AI, CDPR could very well choose to go that way instead of doing it skyrim style, plus it adds to the whole atmosphere if your horse dies and you are stranded, as long as you get all your item stash(the actual inventory wll be on geralt) back as soon as you get a new horse

To me, the best solution would be that your horse is vulnerable to attacks, but cannot. On hit he should flail and wave, possibly unsaddling you, or fall to the ground.
This way the battles would be more exciting and risky and you wouldn't lose your items.

I wish for devs to not over kill on the dust animations. e.g when Geralt is walking inside the brothel, its just too much.

The way Ubi did horses and Assassin's Creed 1 and 2 would work well in W3 i think. In both games, guards on the ground could cut your horses legs as you galloped past them, bringing you both down. The horse would then get up, and run away.
OR... if you were pulled off your horse, not galloping past, your horse would hang around a while, in which case, it was smart to lead the fight towards the horse's rear end, as it would kick the guards... hehe. This was random, although you always ended up getting 1 or 2 helpful kicks from your horse. If the fight went on, the horse did end up running away.
Once your horse had run away, you had either the option of whisting and your horse would come back to you. Or you could just get on any horse hanging around the area, and ride off into the sunset. There were plenty of horses everywhere, though were were plenty of towns, hay stacks, and people. I can't really imagin saddled horses in W3 ready to go in the middle of nowhere.

The big difference with W3 is offcourse, that our horse has extra inventory. Which is why, for me, the AC-style horse mechanic with a horse that can't be killed would work. Otherwise, if the horse runs away or gets killed, it wouldn't make sense for Geralt to automatically carry the extra (are we going to have a carry weight restriction as in W2?). If you can whistle for your horse, that's fine. But if your horse dies and you need something from there, how will you be able to access it if we can't get it till we find a new horse?

Is it confirmed that Roach is immortal? Or the horses in general are immortal?... There is a difference ;P

But if they make horses as easy to get as in RDR then that wouldn't be a problem, it would just be a matter of getting to a town

(are we going to have a carry weight restriction as in W2?)
Yes, there is a carry weight limit for Geralt. It's 40 weight units in the 37 minute demo (the swords weigh 2 weight units each for example). We don't know if the horse will also have a limit.

IsengrimR

In an interview CDPR said that they really liked how the horses were handled in Red Dead redemption, and they are following the same model for most parts.
Considering their statement and how Red Dead Redemption handled the horses, my best guess is you have access to a horse from the get go and the horse runs to Geralt when you whistle. We may actually be able to catch and tame horses with Axii.
But it's all speculation based on the indirect info we are given, and there is a good chance that I might be wrong.
And there is nothing wrong with asking questions unless it was already posted, in which case a moderator would merge the posts :)

Well, there was also said, if memory doesn't fail me, that you can row your boat to an island and call on your horse as well.
I am not sure about this decision. Magical teleporting horses? o.0'

I understand it's for simplicity sake, but considering that the bigger island would have a port... wouldn't it be just more believable to make your horse travel with you on a small hired ferry ship that takes you there? And leave the horse out of the smaller islands with just 1 village/cave for monster hunting?

Then again, we don't know how big all the islands will be.

RDR system... is ok... but I seriously wouldn't expect wild horses just roaming around in the witcher universe. There was not a single mention of that in the books, if memory serves me well. A bit immersion breaking, I'd say.

Wow, all this time I thought the title was: Witcher 3 - The Wild Hunt

But it's actually: Witcher 3 - The Wild Horse

It all makes sense now. The hunt for a wild horse. To tame it, and to ride it.

Apparently, you can call a horse to any place by whistling, like in the Assassin's Creed III.

But, I'm worried about something: imagine, you're riding a horse through the woods and you get surrounded by a pack of wolves. What will happen if the horse is immortal and the wolves can't hurt it?

Well, in most games with horses, you simply fall off when you are attacked... I don't see why it should be different in TW3.

Not in Skyrim, though Skyrim should hardly be a role model. But you're posing a question if the horse is immortal what happens to it? Does it fight back or does it flee? who knows. We'll just have to wait and see. Geralt's horses have died in the past, I think he calls every horse he owns "Roach".

Not in Skyrim, though Skyrim should hardly be a role model. But you're posing a question if the horse is immortal what happens to it? Does it fight back or does it flee? who knows. We'll just have to wait and see. Geralt's horses have died in the past, I think he calls every horse he owns "Roach".

I'm not really familiar with war horses and horses used to being around monsters, but I don't really see a horse putting up much of a fight against anything. Skyrim horses were ridiculous - just running in and attacking a dragon the second they see them.. I'm pretty sure Geralt's horse will just flee the (immediate) area.

You could have an immortal horse that can be 'killed under you', but doesn't need replacing once the combat is over. (Many of the companions actually behaved like this in earlier games - so it wouldn't be a big stretch). You could either have the horse brought down, getting up and running off and then coming when summoned, or going down, and staying down and being revived by Geralt after the fighting is over.

To assume that 'immortal horse' means cannot be affected by combat is taking the most simplistic view. I'm visualising something more along the lines of M&B when you switch horses with a companion before battle (both horses cannot be permanently killed, but you can be un-horsed as easily as when using your own (mortal) horse.).

Apparently, you can call a horse to any place by whistling, like in the Assassin's Creed III.

But, I'm worried about something: imagine, you're riding a horse through the woods and you get surrounded by a pack of wolves. What will happen if the horse is immortal and the wolves can't hurt it?

Roach confirmed as the protagonist in TW4.

I was watching the old '52 and a Half' video, and I was struck by this question again: Can we use axii to calm horses?
At about 3:05, Geralt uses the sign to do so, and he did in the books, but has there been any word about whether this is possible in The Witcher III? In the recent gameplay it didn't appear so, as the horse has a fear level.

I hope it's like RDR, your horse can die but you have to wait just a little bit before you can call it again.
So yeah, your horse is immortal but it can still die so to speak. Who knows... how REDS did it, I bet it's still awesome anyways!

So the Roach is actually named after a fish?
Well that's funny.
I remember the Czech trnaslations called Geralt's mare Gossip (female)

So the Roach is actually named after a fish?
Well that's funny.
I remember the Czech trnaslations called Geralt's mare Gossip (female)

Ay, it's a European freshwater fish in the carp family. It's rather versatile. The English name is of obscure origin.

Notice any similarities?

Attachments

• Roach 1.jpg
    Roach 1.jpg
    401.8 KB · Views: 59
  • Roach 2.jpg
    Roach 2.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Top Bottom