How do you fight higher level monsters? Here's a video I recorded during my gameplay. :)

+
FireStream Igni (alternative sign) has higher chance of burning enemies since its concetrated in the direction your finger shows instead of an 180* cone attack.

Yeah its weird how somethings seemed locked like they will happen no matter what while others will jump out, it just points to how its really wonky AI. I would have expected more skill sets of each monster than just three. It seems the variety of moves is highly limited to just three which makes pattern recognition really easy.
I encountered another glitch where a wraith will keep herself preoccupied near a wall and would not attack me until I provoke her. If this is a glitch from AI aggressiveness, I think this needs to be fixed. I'll try posting this on Technical Section.

FireStream Igni (alternative sign) has higher chance of burning enemies since its concetrated in the direction your finger shows instead of an 180* cone attack.
I've done that too. She didn't burn and I just died since hag will slap you on the face. Igni will only increase chance of burning if you put points in the fourth ability.

Last edited:
I've done that too. She didn't burn and I just died since hag will slap you on the face. Igni will only increase chance of burning if you put points in the fourth ability.

Well I dont have points in the fourth ability and any monster/human always get's burned, of course i aim at them and keep the igni sign pressed for 2-4 seconds or until the stamina is depleted and they get burned always.

Took down a level 22 Fiend with a level 15 Geralt in around 10 secs on Death March haha

[video=youtube;R-PPA0gHvLU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-PPA0gHvLU[/video]

I'll give that Grave Hag a go tomorrow, but I think I might need the pyro ability for that, and I don't have enough ability points to learn that. But still, will give it a crack anyway.

nice kill. fiends are prone to igni i should say. i've tried and tested that.

---------- Updated at 11:54 PM ----------

Well I dont have points in the fourth ability and any monster/human always get's burned, of course i aim at them and keep the igni sign pressed for 2-4 seconds or until the stamina is depleted and they get burned always.

I tried it to humans above my level in Skellige and they didn't even burn. I think creatures not vulnerable to igni will only get burned if they are on your level. You can only burn higher level creatures if they have the Igni as weakness in the bestiary I suppose.

Last edited:

Tuco

Forum veteran
[
I have to say coming from Dark Souls/Demon Souls this game is not really difficult..
I'm not even sure why people keep saying stuff like this, since Demon's Souls and Dark Souls aren't really that difficult either and their reputation in that sense is incredibly inflated.

Make no mistakes, I'm not criticizing them. I think the world of both games, the second especially; it's just that I'm not even sure where their reputation of being "incredibly hard" comes from, when difficulty is far from being their best virtue nor defining trait.
If anything, more than hard, they are punishing on mistakes (which incidentally it's true even for TW3 on death march: make a single wrong move during a fight with any enemy which isn't massively underleveled and half of your life bar is gone).

Here's a good article explaining very well how the games aren't anywhere near as unforgiving (or even "frustrating") as a lot of terrible players, sensationalist gaming press and misguided marketing campaigns try to suggest:

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/178346/12_Ways_Dark_Souls_isnt_as_hard_as_you_think_it_is.php

Last edited:
if u want to talk about real challenge go to Skellige there's a question mark on a desert island. It's an archigriffin. i done it lvl31 with archigriffin decoction(funny isn't it?)
But idk wat lvl it is. it shows to me only ??. Wat's sure is it could one hit kill me. The question mark is is hidden treasure.

Originally Posted by varonecl View Post[
I have to say coming from Dark Souls/Demon Souls this game is not really difficult..
I'm not even sure why people keep saying stuff like this, since Demon's Souls and Dark Souls aren't really that difficult either and their reputation in that sense is incredibly inflated.

Make no mistakes, I'm not criticizing them. I think the world of both games, the second especially; it's just that I'm not even sure where their reputation of being "incredibly hard" comes from, when difficulty is far from being their best virtue nor defining trait.
If anything, more than hard, they are punishing on mistakes (which incidentally it's true even for TW3 on death march: make a single wrong move during a fight with any enemy which isn't massively underleveled and half of your life bar is gone).

Here's a good article explaining very well how the games aren't anywhere near as unforgiving (or even "frustrating") as a lot of terrible players, sensationalist gaming press and misguided marketing campaigns try to suggest:

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/17834...hink_it_is.php

the gameplay is way different in fact. All is done for u to die here or there. The fisrt playthrough except some particular bosses is ez but things start to be hard from NG+ even NG++. And soon u'll be bored to make same things again and again. Bosses fight is all about study partern and behave so u trigger a particular one to control the fight
The lore is nice but overrated a bit DS1 and 2 are so thightly connected and some things on the lore are even no really coherent.
And then we could talk about combat behavior like invincible frames that doesn't exist in W3
PS: and don't get me wrong i like darksouls i gone to NG+5 but it's more action than RPG and W3 is a bit more RPG than action.
The lore of W3 is just incredible. It made me feel the need to read the saga and i don't read often.

Last edited:
Its not a smart idea to try to kill way higher level mobs than you since the item level of the drops will scale to your level not the mobs, so you are getting screwed in the gear that will drop

But................... But it's FUN !!! And challenging !!!

In all seriousness though, in terms of monsters it plays almost no role at all since monsters only drop mutagens, alchemy ingredients and the like in 90% of the cases.

Its easy enough to kill big monsters. Only holdback is the regeneration of health. Your damage output has to be high enough to kill a monster ofcource.
Neckers or drowners are way harder to kill. Because your timing has to be much better when you are fighting large groups of monsters, instead of only 1.

So, I tried to take on this lv 28 Grave Hag with my lv 16 Geralt in Death March. I learnt the Pyromaniac ability, had about ~160% Sign Intensity, and even threw a Superior Petri's Philter (100% applies Sign abilities like burning/stagger). The result? The grave hag did not burn. I used the normal Igni and the alt version, but no dice.

So, I thought let's try to put runes on my sword like OP. I added 10% chance to burn on the silver sword and fought it. After about 10 minutes, it was dead from my sword blows, but it did not burn from any of the 100 odd strikes I made. I then decided to try out poison and bleed runes, and none of those worked either. Then I tried the Freezing rune, and that actually did work. Freezing just slows down the enemy, and maybe you do a little more damage.

Anyway, I will try this fight again once I'm level 19 (like the OP) and share the results.

Last edited:
So, I tried to take on this lv 28 Grave Hag with my lv 16 Geralt in Death March. I learnt the Pyromaniac ability, had about ~160% Sign Intensity, and even threw a Superior Petri's Philter (100% applies Sign abilities like burning/stagger). The result? The grave had did not burn. I used the normal Igni and the alt version, but no dice.

So, I thought let's try to put runes on my sword like OP. I added 10% chance to burn on the silver sword and fought it. After about 10 minutes, it was dead from my sword blows, but it did not burn from any of the 100 odd strikes I made. I then decided to try out poison and bleed runes, and none of those worked either. Then I tried the Freezing rune, and that actually did work. Freezing just slows down the enemy, and maybe you do a little more damage.

Anyway, I will try this fight again once I'm level 19 (like the OP) and share the results.

Hi! Thank you for your post. I am glad you tested the pyromaniac ability. The Igni sign intensity is not important. It is the chance to cause burn.

The burn damage in my sword in the OP has 15% burning effect rate. The burn is triggered usually by strong blows only. You will see it in the video.

You can test and try that or get a sword with three slots put three pieces of 5% burn runes like I did.

I can burn higher level Fiends before when I was several levels lower with weak Igni as well. This hag won't just burn with Igni. The bestiary tells the truth I think. lol

The burn is triggered usually by strong blows only.

Oh, it has to be a heavy attack? I managed to get Freeze to work with fast attacks, so these other effects should work too. Anyway, I'm saved right in front of this hag, so will try out the heavy attacks. 10 or 15% should not make much difference. It might take a few more hits to trigger, that's all.

Oh, it has to be a heavy attack? I managed to get Freeze to work with fast attacks, so these other effects should work too. Anyway, I'm saved right in front of this hag, so will try out the heavy attacks. 10 or 15% should not make much difference. It might take a few more hits to trigger, that's all.

If you see the video, it's almost 100% with heavy attacks or I am just lucky. lol

Just had a 20 min battle with a level 26 ArchGriffin in Death March. I was level 16. Could have been a 20 sec battle, but he refused to get ignited. So had to do the long slog of chip damage, dodge, repeat.

Anyway, got the mutagen, and now I can make that decoction :D

Btw, here is that Grave Hag fight I mentioned in my previous post.

Just had a 20 min battle with a level 26 ArchGriffin in Death March. I was level 16. Could have been a 20 sec battle, but he refused to get ignited. So had to do the long slog of chip damage, dodge, repeat.

Anyway, got the mutagen, and now I can make that decoction :D

Btw, here is that Grave Hag fight I mentioned in my previous post.

Nice fight. I told you she doesn't burn with igni. Haha. Use strong attack and see if she burns. If noy put additional 5% burn to your sword. My sword burns monster most of the time especially with strong attacks. You can try it.

Nice fight. I told you she doesn't burn with igni. Haha. Use strong attack and see if she burns. If noy put additional 5% burn to your sword. My sword burns monster most of the time especially with strong attacks. You can try it.

I tried the fight again with heavy attacks, but she wasn't burning. I'll try the fight again when I'm level 19, as I suspect it has to do with levels.

Anyway, here is a another skull monster - this time a level 24 Earth Elemental vs level 17 Geralt.

Last edited:
I tried the fight again with heavy attacks, but she wasn't burning. I'll try the fight again when I'm level 19, as I suspect it has to do with levels.

Anyway, here is a another skull monster - this time a level 24 Earth Elemental vs level 17 Geralt.

try to add runes first, percentage help.

BRAWLER! - Geralt vs Czort: UFC Edition

I think I play too much "Soulsborne" games :p
You know... Demon's Souls, DARK SOULS, Bloodborne....
At that point I was lv 24 or 23 if I remember. Potion that I had was the one that reduces the "KO effect" or something along the lines. I drank it cause I thought it will help me out and remove that "flinch" effect when you hit him - it does not help - cause every time you hit him with your fists you take damage and have tat "confusion effect".
I play with no HUD for quite some time now so I can't really tel how much HP I have unless it's really low. Also I play on highest difficulty level.

The hardest part about playing like this is no minimap. I have to open my map every now and then to figure out where the f I suppose to go next :p

[video=youtube;gcG1euli6-8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcG1euli6-8[/video]

Top Bottom