How long until CD Projekt Red sells out?

+
How long until CD Projekt Red sells out?

This takes me back to when Mass Effect was launched and sold well. BioWare was doing good but the owners decided to sell out. I wouldn't blame the top guy or guys selling out and lets be honest who would turn down a 8 or 9 figure paycheck?

Before this thread goes sour, I'd like to post some general guidelines:

What do you mean when you say "selling out"?
Why do you think CDPR would sell out?
Is there any indication that this is happening?

As always keep the discussions civil and on topic. Otherwise, lock.

Carry on.

What happened to all the previous comments??

Why should CDPR sell the company? They are profitable and they do what they like. Let Bioware and EA get lost with attempts to buy off comeptition.

I do have some concern over this.

Those that don't learn from history tend to repeat it. All CD Projekt Red has to do is look at what happened to Rare after it sided a deal with Microsoft & left Nintendo for it.

Considering that CD has inadvertently compromised on their lorals with the no exclusive - exclusive content switch for a 'particular' platform makes me concerned history is repeating.

On that note, nothing lasts forever so enjoying what we can while they are still genuine.

• RED Point
Reactions: Fuz
Considering that CD has inadvertently compromised on their lorals with the no exclusive - exclusive content switch for a 'particular' platform makes me concerned history is repeating.

They did? What were those cases? From what I've heard they refused all proposals for exclusives.

BioWare was doing good but the owners decided to sell out.

I am assuming by "sell out" you mean sell the company to a larger gaming organization. My guess is that this is unlikely to happen anytime in the near future. They have started there own streaming service with gog galaxy now, which makes it seem like they want to be a competitor, not a company getting ready to sell itself. If I were a betting man (I'm not) I would say it appears the CDPR is in it for the long haul. Now if some outrageous offer came in, who's to say what would happen... but for now I think were at least somewhat safe.

MS added some content to the boxes they shipped their product in. <shrug>

CDPR didn't add any exclusive content to the game for anyone (except possibly PC, if you count Redkit and modding support, plus all language packs)...

If anyone should be upset it is the console players who are stuck with the somewhat "odd" mishmash of languages their overlords supply in each region.

Xbox One retail = no online requirement and no DRM.
PS4 retail = no online requirement and no DRM.
PC retail = online requirement and DRM patches, DRM updates, DRM free DLC. A big fuck you to the offline gamers.

I call that a sell out move. CDPR is not who we thought they were. Thought it would be different this time around. But they the same as the rest. CDPR is nothing special. They have proven that now.

Last edited:
As successful companies grow, and expand, and business professionals take control of the administrative executive positions, and the number of people employed and involved in the company increases, it becomes difficult to remain the same as it was with the initial, small, founding group. I'm not going to offer much more of my opinion of this process, merely remark that things will change, as they always do, and have already. Even now, CD Projekt RED is not the company it was when it started, and that is an inevitable symptom of business within the industry. There is also the consideration that, when the founders decide to move on to other things, and deliver the company into new hands, it will change again, for good, or for ill. It is all relative to one's perspective.

Last edited:
In looking at whether a company is likely to "sell out" in the foreseeable future, you look at two things:

1. How much would it cost to buy them? If a company's shares are well-known in its market, and the general perception is optimistic, the shares will sell for a price that will deter anybody trying to buy large quantities.

2. Who would sell it to them? Literally, who controls enough shares to agree to or turn away a buyout offer? Insiders tend to hold their shares unless you "make them an offer they can't refuse", or they want to retire or they are second-generation and don't want to remain in the business. On the other hand, venture capitalists want to cash out their investment, either at what they think would be a peak or if they think the company is unlikely to succeed.

Currently optimism reigns (CDP sells for 22.01 PLN, a record high) and insiders hold 36% of the shares. Institutions (PKO Bank Polski and two pension funds) hold 20%. This is not an environment that encourages or heralds a buyout attempt.

Of course, things could be different tomorrow.

[Bruce Dunn, commercial artist]

Last edited:
Are these kinds of threads popping out because people cant play the game yet (but they can download it) and think its cause of DRM?

Are these kinds of threads popping out because people cant play the game yet (but they can download it) and think its cause of DRM?

Babysitting a long download and then waiting a week gets sort of boring, so people's minds wander. This thread is about a literal sell-out, not a figurative sell-out of principles.

Actually I kinda get what OP is saying as I, too, ponder over the fact that will CDPR be one day sold out to big greedy companies such as EA. Bioware is a fine example of such company, whose reputation of making top rated RPG marred by seemingly EA's hungry for profits and don't really care for quality.

With CDPR becoming more successful, especially with the successful launch of TW3, it may become target as well and I sincerely hope that CDPR top management would resist the money temptation.

As others said, it's more likely to be sold if it's not successful, not if it's successful. And current owners show no intent of selling it so far.

Top Bottom