In game Vehicles!

+
But dude, c'mon, I can't imagine this game without drivable vehicles. I mean, you can't show players freaking hovercars (I don't care, that's what I'm calling them), and then not let them drive them. That's just all kinds of wrong.

On a related note, I hope CP77 has hoverbikes.

Yeah, GTA and their ilk are not closer to the CP2020 I played, or that of anyone I played with. Probably all that you know, role playing we did and the relatively little driving we did.

Although when we did drive, we drove hovertanks! And AV-7s! And reclining superbikes! Really, really fast!

Good times.

But dude, c'mon, I can't imagine this game without drivable vehicles. I mean, you can't show players freaking hovercars (I don't care, that's what I'm calling them), and then not let them drive them. That's just all kinds of wrong.

On a related note, I hope CP77 has hoverbikes.

I'm not arguing against vehicles. I actually want them, if CDPR can pull it off.

I'm really uncertain as to what the "sandbox" element of CP2077 implies really. We automatically asume it's similar to GTA gameplaywise and so we think driveable vehicles. Maybe we ARE setting us up for disappointment. Maybe sandbox in conjunction with rpg only (only, haha) means setting our own goals... doesn't sound half bad to me. Althouhg, yeah, I would like driveable vehicles, who wouldn't?

I'm really uncertain as to what the "sandbox" element of CP2077 implies really. We automatically asume it's similar to GTA gameplaywise and so we think driveable vehicles. Maybe we ARE setting us up for disappointment. Maybe sandbox in conjunction with rpg only (only, haha) means setting our own goals... doesn't sound half bad to me. Althouhg, yeah, I would like driveable vehicles, who wouldn't?

The clues are probably there in the Witcher 3 interviews, if they're taking the same approach. What we do know is that it's story-driven.

And yes, I think it could very well be a mistake to think it's going to be like GTA.

They put horses in TW3, so vehicles in CP2077 is logical.

Yeah, GTA and their ilk are not closer to the CP2020 I played, or that of anyone I played with. Probably all that you know, role playing we did and the relatively little driving we did.

Really, cause in Saints Row 2, I role played all the time... I went and got in fights with gangs, I hung out in clubs, I fought cops, I made up my own objectives. I did the same thing with GTA, Sleeping Dogs, and Fallout: NV... They actually allowed me to be the person I wanted my character to be. Granted their wasn't a lot of choice/consequence in the story, and who or what I looked like didn't matter to anyone but me... but that's closer to role playing than anything a script can provide. I gave the character the personality I wanted him to have,

Then when I felt like it, I went back to the story missions and actual activities and what not...and was kinda disappointed at the stories on occasion for making me clash with who I wanted my character to be...

Only the shittiest of GM's still railroad their their players in this day and age... yet the games video games held up as RPG's are often nothing but a railroad, a shitty one at that.

Really, I have hated the term RPG used in conjunction with video games forever, it's a misnomer... in these games you aren't playing a role, you are simply along for the ride, they are glorified choose your own adventure books.

Although when we did drive, we drove hovertanks! And AV-7s! And reclining superbikes! Really, really fast!

Your GM let you drive Hovertanks.... but you balk at ACPA? Weird...

If the game does not have drivable vehicles, then yeah, I will be hugely disappointed. Because it is too big of a disconnect from the world around me, the world of Cyberpunk. Not having vehicles would make the cage that much smaller, that much more apparent and confining.

Do I really expect it to have Saints Row levels of Customization or even driving... no probably not... but it should, because those games now how to give you a believable modern city, and let you feel like you are there, like it is a place that exists. It's still a cage... but it;'s the difference between a zoo enclosure, and a wildlife reserve.

And the comparisons to Witcher need to be reigned in... Witcher 3 has horses, it also has mosnters and all sorts of stuff that Cyberpunk isn't going to have. You will be amazed at what you can fit into a game when you don't have to create models for a bajillion silly monsters.

And I don;t want to hear that CDPR has never done anything like that before either... you know what else they have never done before? Make any game that wasn't the Witcher. Seriously people, keep it in perspective. None of us have a clue what the game is actually going to be like, but we have hints... we saw an AV-7 in the trailer (or possibly their version of an AV-3)... The game designer has talked about driving your motorcycle.

Oh, and if you really want to get on point, hers Mike Pondsmith's views on GTA:
Grand Theft Auto 3 is basically cyberpunk minus the hardware.”
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/05/mike-pondsmith-talks-reinventing-cyberpunk/

So it seems that at least the creator of the Pen and Paper game agrees with me...

They put horses in TW3, so vehicles in CP2077 is logical.

Maybe. But it's a big leap from horses to fully dynamic traffic in a huge city. Again, I'd love to have that aspect in the game, in fact the more we talk about it the more likely it seems. I still wonder if CDPR will make a compromise on this front, like allowing us to drive only in certain areas or not giving us a zillion vehicles to choose from like other sandbox games.

Every time you say this, I fear for the disappointment that will hit you like a tank when you see that GTA and its ilk are not what CDPR is striving for. You should start petitioning Rockstar for your Cyberpunk game because you aren't going to get it here.

This.

No it isn't. Do you think cars should go into Fallout games because a completley diffrent series made by the same people includes horses?

Firstly, you are wrong and it is not the same thing.. Fallout games are taking place after a nuclear apocalypse, so it is logical most, if not all vehicles would be damaged beyond repair and the ones that can be repaired would need extensive work. Since all vehicles being over a few hundred years old. Secondly, Fallout 2 had a working car and Fallout 3 and New Vegas had flying vehicles.. (They just chose not to make it available to the player.) And since Cyberpunk as a series do have vehicles and the game engine the developer building the game upon do support some kind of vehicle system, it is only logical to think they will add vehicles to the game.

No it isn't. Do you think cars should go into Fallout games because a completley diffrent series made by the same people includes horses?

Your argument makes zero sense. Also, you are not taking account many details and trying to compare apples with oranges. (So to speak.)

Ye-ah. You can roleplay Doom if you try hard enough. That doesn't mean Doom comes with tools to create the illusion of choice a good RPG provides. I enjoyed playing the role of Niko in GTA4, but GTA is not an RPG, it's not designed as one and it doesn't reinforce the illusion that you are changing the story.

Can't say about SR2 - it bored me hard, didn't get far. If Mike likes GTA as cyberpunk without cyber, I think he is referring to the setting and story style, not necessarily the Role playing aspect of it. But ask him!

We use the Witcher not only because CDPR made them, but because they are the RPGs of choice right now. Meaningful, deep story with choices that affect that story and your character. This is not the same as playing a lonely game of pretend in SR2 - it is the feeling of being caught up in a tale of adventure and woe that you are a part of.

Once again, I am usually the GM. Good GMs do railroad, to a degree, just like life. Shit happens - total free choice is a delusion. Thise choices you make in response to that shit are what determines who you are in life - and who your character is in a story.

This is all pretty irrelevant, though - CDPR has heavily hinted that vehicles are in.

So what you are saying is:

"Do I think that Fallout 3/NV, games that have next to no working vehicular transport in the background, should have cars in?"

No. No, I don't.

But there were in Fallout 2:

So, let's look at this from my perspective, so you can see how I came to me conclusion:

Cyberpunk 2077, a game based in a world dominated by ever advancing technology and it's abuse, will encompass an entire city. Night City. A city is a big place, but I don't intend to walk everywhere and I am not a fan of public transport in the dark future.
The 2020 game had more than 10 individual skills for vehicles! There are about 300 vehicles listed in the books, including an entire supplement on vehicular combat. One of the 9 basic roles in the game is entirely dependant on vehicles for its existance.

On top of all this, The Witcher 3 is the first open world game that CDPR have produced, and they felt it was important to give Geralt his own transport in the form of horses AND SHIPS!

So yes, I think it is logical that CDPR would include vehicles in 2077.

Do I think it is a dead certainty? No.
Do I WANT player controled vehicles in game? Damn right I do.
Will I piss and moan if the only vehicles are NPC controlled? No.
Will I bitch and whine if the only player transport in the game is public transport and treated as 'fast travel'? No.

Top Bottom