Installing the Enhanced Edition from DVD

+
mmn in all fairness, doing it is perfectly legal. I have purchased the game, twice now, had the programmers sorted all this mess out i wouldnt have to use it.As it stands i bought the enhanced edition and it installed fine, but now i get 10 min of gameplay and it crashes - why am i not surprised?In all fairness the game is good, but it seems to be problem after problem.

CrusadeB5 said:
As it stands i bought the enhanced edition and it installed fine, but now i get 10 min of gameplay and it crashes - why am i not surprised?
now, read: Getting tech help on the forum and attach that PCWizard report as instructed ( use the older version of PCWizard if you have problems with the newer one )do attach the file ERRLOG.TXT from The Witcher/System folder also the new hotfix is here: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=21009.0

LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
i dont understand why its not working sudenly on this computer.I dont think a problem with the drive could be the issue, i just bought a new one a few weeks ago and it hasn't had any problems. Besides the error makes it sound like the disk is the issue or something
the DVD drive might be the problemalso disable and quit any running applications while installing ( like tray programs, DVD applications, antivirus, etc )be sure to have an updated firmware on the DVD drivetry in Safe mode tooeven try with another dvd drive if you can
it is a new dvd drive i just bought, maybe its defective. I tried installing an older game and it gave me a cab file error too. i then installed the older game on the old cd drive in the computer and it worked fine. so im guessing ya, its the dvd drive since it worked before. im sending it back and getting another. it was this one:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001J8B5ZQ/ref=ox_ya_oh_producta cheap lite on drive. hopefully this 2nd one will work. Has anyone heard of problems with this drive? It did install some other games fine t hough so i dunno. still should be getting a new one in a few days ill try that thenquestion though i d id do one thing differently, i installed it to a different drive/folder than the default one.. that shouldn't change anything though should it?

kenshindono said:
question though i d id do one thing differently, i installed it to a different drive/folder than the default one.. that shouldn't change anything though should it?
some users reported crashing when using a different folder, i had several installs in different folders over time, Windows and Linux, and they worked fine, so do install in the default folder for starters

i cant on that computer, its partitioned with a very small ammount of space just for the OS. the default folder puts it on that drive which doesn't have room to put the game on itoh, and if this new drive im getting (sent old one back) gives the smae error can i just ignore it then copy the file over form the computer where the install worked f rom>?

kenshindono said:
i cant on that computer, its partitioned with a very small ammount of space just for the OS. the default folder puts it on that drive which doesn't have room to put the game on itoh, and if this new drive im getting (sent old one back) gives the smae error can i just ignore it then copy the file over form the computer where the install worked f rom>?
theoreticaly yes

HiTo day I got the Witcher enhanced edition. I started to install it it but when it almost finished installing a error massage came up saying Feature Transfer Error Component Data File F:Data 4.cab Error Data Error Cyclic Redundancy Check. Then it stops installing. PLEASE can you help me with this.Regards Mazie

mazie said:
HiTo day I got the Witcher enhanced edition. I started to install it it but when it almost finished installing a error massage came up saying Feature Transfer Error Component Data File F:Data 4.cab Error Data Error Cyclic Redundancy Check. Then it stops installing. PLEASE can you help me with this.Regards Mazie
try to update your DVD drive firmwaretry in Safe Modetry with another DVD drive

Ok, first post, I only have a pretty general understanding of computer basics(I can figure stuff off most times, but try to step-by-step for me if you can)I keep getting a "Feature Transfer Error" regarding data3It specifically says this:"Feature Transfer Error"Feature: DataComponent: DataFile: D:\data3.cabError: Data error (cycle redundancy check)"Now it occurs when loading the file ending with "sounds00.bif".I get that error on an XP with specs of:processor: Intel Pentium 4 3.00ghzVideo Card: ATI Radeon X300/X550/X1050 SeriesSound Card: Sigmatel AudioWith updates installed on everything correctly(Anything else needed, do tell me)And I get it on Vista with specs of:Intel Core 2 Duo T6660 @ 2.20ghzATI Mobility Radeon HD 4330IDT HD Sound Card(that's all it tells me)I just got it today shipped from Dell, so haven't update it yet, but it's on Service Pack 1I think it's the disc I have. I ordered it and tried it on both my normal desktop, a friend's laptop(which was about 1 1/2 years old and 'optimized' for games), and my own new laptop, with the EXACT same error on all of them. I looked at the min requirements for computers on this very forum to see if it might be my end. I plan to send the disc back(still within the 'warranty return' period) and get a new one, or if I can't get a new one, get the Enhanced Edition if that would be a better idea.So I'll restate questions for ease of answer:Is it likely the disc that's the problem?Would getting the Enhanced Edition be better than getting a replacement of the game that lists awards it received?Does it happen to be a problem somewhere on my end of things(which I really doubt)?

When does this happen? Does it happen when you're installing the game or when you try to play it?It does sound (to me, at least) as if it's probably a disc problem, in which case you need to contact either the establishment that sold it to you or Atari (the publisher, who's responsible for making the discs and selling them, as opposed to the developer (the people who created the game), which is whose website you're on at the moment).For most people, I'd say if you buy the original edition, you can download a patch to bring it up to the Enhanced Edition from this website, or you can buy the Enhanced Edition and save yourself the hassle of downloading. But if you've already bought a copy of the game, there's no need to buy a new one unnless you want to. If your disc is defective, then you're owed a new one. You can try returning the disc to whoever you bought it from, or you can try getting a new disc from Atari. Atari is fairly slow, so the place you bought it from is probably the best place to try; go to Atari only if the seller won't give you satisfaction.

I know not to blame the developers for most things, 90% of all problems I've had with games were either my own fault or I got a bad disc. Currently figuring out what my options are with the seller. Was really planning on getting an Enhanced Edition copy after I get my refund.

Hey guys, new to the forum here, and to new to The Witcher.I have a problem installing The Witcher, not listed in the FAQ, but is covered briefly in other topics.Just bought a copy of The Witcher EE, inserted disc 1, started the install, and it freezes on the file intro.bik. If i leave it for a long time, it gives me the error:Feature: DataComponent: DataFile: D:\Data3.cabError: Data Error (cyclic redundancy check)Then when i click OK, the install cancels.http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=18203.0This topic is the same problem, however, the poster had his install program allow him to continue installing after the error popped up.His solution was to upgrade the firmware of his DVD drive, which i did, and nothing has changed.http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=10424.0This topic contains the same error, however in data3.cab, NOT data5.cab, and i tried all the suggestions there, but to no avail.So i have tried:Installing in safe modeMade sure no drive emulators were running (I use UltraISO)Deleting atapi.sys (very bad move unless you have a restore point or the file on hand)Updating drive firmwareCreating an image and installing from that. Cant create an image, it locks up about halfway.Nothing has worked.My drive is a 16x ASUS DRW-1814BLT. Im using Windows XP SP3.So looks like the disc is fine, but my drive cant handle the copy protection? Is there ANY solution to this?Thanks for any help guys!Looking through the forums manually, two more threads have details about this - http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=3489.0In this one, the guy got a replacement disc, and it worked smoothly. Perhaps this is worth looking into. I have a few more days in which i can return the game. Though chances of a defective DVD disc are pretty low, i would guess.http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=24911.0This topic showed a similar error, but no resolution was posted. I REALLY want to play this game, any help is greatly appreciated!![MOD]Use the MODIFY button[/MOD]

roman90 said:
I know not to blame the developers for most things, 90% of all problems I've had with games were either my own fault or I got a bad disc. Currently figuring out what my options are with the seller. Was really planning on getting an Enhanced Edition copy after I get my refund.
can you copy the disk contents ( read the FAQ: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=17503.0 and see the MagicDisc instructions ) ? what dvd drives did you use?

Bought game an hour ago and now trying to install it... getting the same Data redundancy error... I wonder if they take it back at the shop... EDIT:tried copying in the hd, doesn't work.EDIT EDIT:Tried on three different dvd drives, none work.... What's left?Give up, return game and pirate it ?EDIT EDIT EDIT:Ok, I returned it to shop and got refunded. You should sue Atari :p

??? if you live in the US and willing to spend about 30 bucks.... 'could always try buying a new DVD drive from newegg. You can get DVD burners for around that price, now. But I'd try a game exchange first, if you can get one....IDE: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151175Sata: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151188

Thanks for the reply mate, Buying a new drive may be my only option. Found out today that i can't take it back, because it has a CD-Key, and they wont take those games back.Any other suggestions?Thanks guys.Update: Tried installing on my brother's laptop, same problem :(And I live in Australia.

MTJ said:
Bought game an hour ago and now trying to install it... getting the same Data redundancy error... I wonder if they take it back at the shop... EDIT:tried copying in the hd, doesn't work.
they could of tried it on their systems and replace your copy maybewhat DVD drive units? made by who? what firmware versions?
MTJ said:
Update: Tried installing on my brother's laptop, same problem :(
it's not the copy protection, not until you run the installed game anyway, and the copy protection was removed in patch 1.5...it's actually a DVD drive issue as older drives have problems reading newer made disksdo try multiple times to copy the disks, or just the files, on both your drives

LicaonKter said:
LicaonKter said:
Bought game an hour ago and now trying to install it... getting the same Data redundancy error... I wonder if they take it back at the shop... EDIT:tried copying in the hd, doesn't work.
they could of tried it on their systems and replace your copy maybewhat DVD drive units? made by who? what firmware versions?
LicaonKter said:
Update: Tried installing on my brother's laptop, same problem :(
it's not the copy protection, not until you run the installed game anyway, and the copy protection was removed in patch 1.5...it's actually a DVD drive issue as older drives have problems reading newer made disksdo try multiple times to copy the disks, or just the files, on both your drives
I used some Sony drive, can't check the Firmware version (if they upgrade it to the latest before selling, then it should be new since I bought it 2 weeks ago) and 2 others were something like this:http://www.directron.com/90n9q1w1000.html (asus laptops)) and they could not replace the game as they didn't have more copies of it (they actually went to test it, but the shop assistant said that the 'teststation' is being used right now so he can't test it (the shop was closing in 30 minutes or so))And as for buying a new drive OR even using the dvd replace. 1. if I buy a game, I don't want to waste another 30€ for a dvd-drive. 2. If I buy a game, I want to be able to play it immediately, not wait for some undefined time before I get a replacement disc. And as for buying it and downloading it for 'backup' reasons.. can't really do that either, as I've limited bandwidth internet with only 15gb a month, an as the producer doesn't offer a direct download link, it would mean using a torrent, which means I would be uploading at the same time, WHICH would mean, I would use much more than my monthly bandwidth to get the game downloaded.So, sorry. A lost customer here unless someday, I read that Atari has pulled back all the broken games and replaced them with the working versions. Then I'll happily go and buy the game again.

Im with you MTJ, i feel exactly the same way.Luckily i managed to return my copy and get my money back.A real shame, this game looks fantastic.And thankyou for all your help guys :)

hey guys i live in AUS just bought retail ver of the enhanced edition and keep getting the same feature transfer error data3.cab during installation. I have just got a brand new computer best of the best vista 64 e8600 gtx295 4g DDR3./edit:eek:k so i had a brain explosion when i couldnt even install TWEE DVD version. The same Programe Feature error data3.cab pops up about 80% through installation. I have got latest firmware for my LG drive but it installed ok on my other computer. i give up on this might have to change drives over or do some registry crap i dunno i might just go back to cod waw on XBL [MOD]Use the MODIFY button/ Watch your language [/MOD]

Top Bottom