Kambi - what's the point?

+
Is Kambi worth playing? The only value I can think of (I’m currently playing a Bran SK deck) is if you get Morkvarg, Cerys or a Tuirseach Skirmisher on the right hand side of your hand. Am I right in saying there is no way to manipulate your hand (other than playing cards) to get this order?

If that is the case, I’m wondering what value there is in playing Kambi, other than hoping you screw your opponent. That would make him yet another powerful NG card in a Morvran deck.

Kambi is one of those cards with frustrating design a la old Sabbath, that makes me scream every time I see it. R3 it can punish the opponent SO BAD by discarding really valuable card. Reminds me of old Donnar but way worse, cause it can discard a win con Gold out of thin air and not only Bronzes.

Atrociously designed card. Of all the cards with Order and this one is Deploy. Horrid.

Kambi is very good, you can get card advantage with him if timed properly and/or you can discard a good opponent card.

Kambi (and Viper Witcher) are probably the cards with the worst design in the game right now, I wonder who in the Dev team thoughtr these cards were a good idea...then again, they made reveal what it is now

Kambi (and Viper Witcher) are probably the cards with the worst design in the game right now, I wonder who in the Dev team thoughtr these cards were a good idea...then again, they made reveal what it is now
presumption without explanation is nothing.

Kambi needs to be changed this is such an irritating card.
Now you just safe it until the (second) last card so it will discard your opponents finisher.
I remember people were complaining about old reveal messing with the opponents hand.
This is far more worse and shouldn't be in the game.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Ahhhh, i see even though this new Kambi has a completely different ability, it still pisses off legions of players, i love it.

Started using it yesterday, on a pure discard deck, and it should be used on R3, if you're playing last its perfect: make sure you leave Morkvarg or a Skirmisher on its right (or a weak card, though then you wouldnt be maximizing value), then play it when you have 2 cards and see your opponents big finisher discarded.

Works great when you know what that finisher will be. Yesterday discarded one of the witcher trio, plus that 'trigger all deathwish' gold, that made some forfeits.

I might agree on Viper but Kambi seems very interesting to me in terms of design. It makes you rethink the concept of a 'finisher', though your opponent would need to have last say for it to actually work.

Comparing it with Sabbath is downright laughable.

I might agree on Viper but Kambi seems very interesting to me in terms of design. It makes you rethink the concept of a 'finisher', though your opponent would need to have last say for it to actually work.

Comparing it with Sabbath is downright laughable.
The concept of Kambi may be interesting, but the uncounterable nature of it is what breaks the card in my eyes...atleast give it orders or something along the line of that

DRK3

Forum veteran
Xavier Lemmens is way more disruptive, when facing SK, and is Neutral so any deck could run it. So when a player is using SK, it should always take in mind a possible Xavier.

Kambi is the opposite - its SK exclusive, so you only have to worry with it when facing SK, and most likely when facing a Bran / Discard deck. Specially on R3, you have to play around the possibility of your rightmost card being discarded, so dont leave it as a finisher if you're worried a Kambi might be played.

The concept of Kambi may be interesting, but the uncounterable nature of it is what breaks the card in my eyes...atleast give it orders or something along the line of that

Ok, but won't that just destroy the card, kinda like with the new Cerys (previous Gwent). Interesting concept but so bad it's just pathetic, all because they're afraid of its potential power level.

Ok, but won't that just destroy the card, kinda like with the new Cerys (previous Gwent). Interesting concept but so bad it's just pathetic, all because they're afraid of its potential power level.
Better a useless card than an uncounterable one.
I wouldn't complain about Kambi (that much) if I could decide myself which card is my rightmost one

I dunno, once people get used to Cambi they are likely to treat it with the respect of any big end game finisher.
Post automatically merged:

Kambi needs to be changed this is such an irritating card.
Now you just safe it until the (second) last card so it will discard your opponents finisher.
I remember people were complaining about old reveal messing with the opponents hand.
This is far more worse and shouldn't be in the game.

One could argue that it might be a healthy thing to have a counter for some of the massive finishers out there. Suspect Cambi, how would you play around it? By shifting your finisher one card play early. Solved.

Another shit design card. Play as SK, simply lose R1 quickly, go into R2, once your oppo passes with 7 cards, stick Kambi in. Result? Their best card is gone and you have CA.

Just add it to the list of garbage that is HC. Absolutely loathesome, horrendous, fix of a game. The amount of "coincidences" in matchmaking is nothing short of astonishing.

Another shit design card. Play as SK, simply lose R1 quickly, go into R2, once your oppo passes with 7 cards, stick Kambi in. Result? Their best card is gone and you have CA.

Just add it to the list of garbage that is HC. Absolutely loathesome, horrendous, fix of a game. The amount of "coincidences" in matchmaking is nothing short of astonishing.

Doesn't that mean the person playing Cambi also goes down to 6 cards?

DRK3

Forum veteran

Hadnt thought about this, if it works it might be problematic.

Im against giving it 'Order' (which would make it useless), but i would agree a 'Truce' tag should be added to prevent what you describe, i dont know why they removed the tag in the first place.

How is it that your opponent's best card is gone? It's completely random what card you burn from your opponent's deck based on it's position. All you know is that it's a unit with power, not a spell for example. Also you can't really use Kambi whenever you want, it also depends what card it will burn in your hand. I don't get your comment at all. kambi is so random it's hardly worth including it in most decks. 10 provisions for something that will maybe hurt your opponent in some cases, otherwise it's a 4 power brick

How is it that your opponent's best card is gone? It's completely random what card you burn from your opponent's deck based on it's position. All you know is that it's a unit with power, not a spell for example. Also you can't really use Kambi whenever you want, it also depends what card it will burn in your hand. I don't get your comment at all. kambi is so random it's hardly worth including it in most decks. 10 provisions for something that will maybe hurt your opponent in some cases, otherwise it's a 4 power brick

Sorry, meant CAN be gone, you are right it is (yet another) random card. The last time I faced it (ever, game's uninstalled for good now!) it burned the card most of my deck was built around - because it can. Which it shouldn't.

Anyone playing this game should be saying to themselves "is that right, that a random card can win a game as early as R2?". Of course it isn't, the design is rushed, badly thought out and not tested. As has been said an infinite number of times, why have beta testing at all if this is the result? The old Kambi was very situational, but could win you the game if played right, it was a risk vs reward play. The challenge was for your oppo to guess that was what you were going to do and try to beat it. Now you just play it and if it's your turn to win (convinced the game is fixed) then it'll burn a good card.

It's exactly what KBT said in his video - the game is hateful to play because of cards like Kambi, that can kill the oppo GAMEPLAN stone dead in R2. There will likely be a very consistent stream of forfeits, the games will rarely make it to R3, because of things like Kambi, VW's, etc. Like most of 'not-Gwent', it's just dreadfully designed. There should be absolutely no example of a single card being able to wipe out a gameplan - yet that's what happens more or less every game. There's a distinct difference between one card winning you a GAME, and one card destroying your oppo's PLAN. Huge difference in fact. Yet there's so many examples! Big 15 provision artefact? Meh, a 6 provision bomb heaver deals with that easily, done. No heaver? 5 prov Sapper wipes it out, simples. Resurrect Sihil with your very expensive Caretaker? Pfft, Dimetrium Bomb. 10 provision cards wipe out 25, instantly, with no comeback - and because of the game design almost all players are throwing these cards in to make up the numbers, so it's not even strategy - it's just garbage. Throwing down a key unit R3? Pfft, 4 prov alba unit locks that and you can't UNLOCK it because there's only 3 cards which can!!

In terms of it being random, I'm not actually convinced I'm playing another person, which is why I uninstalled it. Just happen to build a deck around a dragon, which just happens to be on the right side of my hand, which just happens to be burned with Kambi, which just happens to kill the game? Lot of coincidence. Happens a lot more than is should too. A video game of any description should never leave you hating it or questioning whether it's actually just you vs the AI. This game left me filled with hate, rage, uninstalling and being absolutely convinced that it's a fix!!!! Ridiculous, but all true!

Anyone playing this game should be saying to themselves "is that right, that a random card can win a game as early as R2?". Of course it isn't, the design is rushed, badly thought out and not tested. As has been said an infinite number of times, why have beta testing at all if this is the result? The old Kambi was very situational, but could win you the game if played right, it was a risk vs reward play. The challenge was for your oppo to guess that was what you were going to do and try to beat it. Now you just play it and if it's your turn to win (convinced the game is fixed) then it'll burn a good card.

To be fair, there is ample play around ability. If you see your valuable cards on the far right and suspect Kambi you need to take steps to fix it. Obviously you cannot re-order your cards but you can leave less valuable cards on the far right intentionally (don't play them). Your card draws come in on the right side of the hand. So, short of having a valuable card come in as your last pull Kambi isn't killing it. Even then it's probably only going to come up R3, as playing Kambi R1-R2 is a RNG crapshoot. Finisher play around is easy, play it 1 card earlier.

None of this means Kambi is fine. It's a stupid card. It's always been a stupid card (yes, even the wipe the board version... stupid card). Not because of balance reasons. These "fun" mechanics like VW, Spotter, Kambi, Xavier, Isbel, etc. are not fun. They're annoying. Most have play around ability. They're still annoying.

No offense by the way. If you're deck is built with only one card, and one card only, to take R3.... You better guarantee you can draw it. Otherwise build a more better deck.

Top Bottom