Key Remapping

+
Yup pretty pathetic we cant remap all keys after more than 3 years and now theyve even broken or blocked our ability to force the binds in the XML file, I dont want to use R to pickup and drop bodies, let us remap that, its pretty damn sad a AAA developer cant even fix key binds after more than 3 years, ill be getting a refund thanks. Im done

For anyone else as annoyed as I am, there's apparently a mod that fixes this

Why it's not built into the game after 40 pages and 2 years of requests I do not understand but whatever

Mod creator says they're updating it soon : https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077/mods/4008?tab=description
Very sadly, this mod is causing a lot of people to have their game launch crash to desktop, myself included.
I'm extremely sad and royally POed that 3 years later, this is still a thing!!! The year is 2023! This should no longer ever be an issue in any game whatsoever!

It's been quite a while, so I'm going to rehash a few things:

Firstly, I know that people want to change their keys at will, and I am aware at how unusual it is for there to be "hard-coded" keys in modern games. I'm also aware that many people want to argue: "You can do it with a mod, so..."

But, returning to what the devs have said several times in the past:
They do not recommend that you change the hard-coded keys, as it can cause issues.

How -- why -- what are the details --? No idea. That's never been explained, but this has been the case in TW1, TW2, TW3, and now CP2077. What's the common factor?

REDengine.

Thus, it's fairly safe to deduce that something in REDengine relies on certain key inputs for certain things. Regardless of how "stupid" that may sound to a human, computers aren't humans. Engines are mathematical processes, and I don't need to explain what happens if you fail to "carry a 1" while doing a huge equation. If it's deeply rooted in the engine, fixing it may simply not be feasible or even practical.

Also, just because a mod can get around it, that does not mean that it's safe. Again, the devs have recommended people not change those keys. Mod authors will very often do things that introduce bugs, large or small, without meaning to, and without the larger player base ever recognizing that it was that mod that broke something. This is passingly common in modding. Even if the mod works perfectly fine for you -- that doesn't mean that it didn't completely destroy another player's game. Mod authors don't have access to the source code, and they can't possibly be held accountable for that if their mod does create an issue in players' games. As always, you use mods at your own risk.

Companies do have access to their source code. Hence, if they know that something may very well create an issue, they will prevent it -- regardless of how "stupid" or "ridiculous" that may seem to the player base.

In the end, nothing with this issue has changed. Once the keybinding mod is updated to the latest version of the game, I'm sure it will work fine again. Knock yourselves out! From the sound of it, it's mostly fine. But the devs have not announced anything different on the "not recommended" front.

If you use the mod, you do so at your own risk. I know of no plans to allow the hard-coded keys to be rebound within the game itself.

It's been quite a while, so I'm going to rehash a few things:

Firstly, I know that people want to change their keys at will, and I am aware at how unusual it is for there to be "hard-coded" keys in modern games. I'm also aware that many people want to argue: "You can do it with a mod, so..."

But, returning to what the devs have said several times in the past:
They do not recommend that you change the hard-coded keys, as it can cause issues.

How -- why -- what are the details --? No idea. That's never been explained, but this has been the case in TW1, TW2, TW3, and now CP2077. What's the common factor?

REDengine.

Thus, it's fairly safe to deduce that something in REDengine relies on certain key inputs for certain things. Regardless of how "stupid" that may sound to a human, computers aren't humans. Engines are mathematical processes, and I don't need to explain what happens if you fail to "carry a 1" while doing a huge equation. If it's deeply rooted in the engine, fixing it may simply not be feasible or even practical.

Also, just because a mod can get around it, that does not mean that it's safe. Again, the devs have recommended people not change those keys. Mod authors will very often do things that introduce bugs, large or small, without meaning to, and without the larger player base ever recognizing that it was that mod that broke something. This is passingly common in modding. Even if the mod works perfectly fine for you -- that doesn't mean that it didn't completely destroy another player's game. Mod authors don't have access to the source code, and they can't possibly be held accountable for that if their mod does create an issue in players' games. As always, you use mods at your own risk.

Companies do have access to their source code. Hence, if they know that something may very well create an issue, they will prevent it -- regardless of how "stupid" or "ridiculous" that may seem to the player base.

In the end, nothing with this issue has changed. Once the keybinding mod is updated to the latest version of the game, I'm sure it will work fine again. Knock yourselves out! From the sound of it, it's mostly fine. But the devs have not announced anything different on the "not recommended" front.

If you use the mod, you do so at your own risk. I know of no plans to allow the hard-coded keys to be rebound within the game itself.

I am confused, when the game first released this was almost a deal breaker for me and I was about to refund the game but then I found a way to change the keys using the configuration text files. A year or so later after several updates I stop using the key binding via text file because the game finally allowed me to bind the keys I wanted. This FIX was done by the DEV not by a 3rd party mod as I use NO mods for about the last year or so, as a year or so after launch they patch all my issues with the game. So I stop using mods like mini map expansions for when the car went fast and a mod that made driving better and my own configuration text file modification for key binding.

Example: Crouch set from "C" to "Right CTRL" is how I play all my games, and this was allowed after the DEV fixed the key bindings sometime after launch.

Am I remembering this wrong?

So how NOW is it not possible (allow key custom binding) when they had already done it once before?

Last edited:
I am confused, when the game first released this was almost a deal breaker for me and I was about to refund the game but then I found a way to change the keys using the configuration text files. A year or so later after several updates I stop using the key binding via text file because the game finally allowed me to bind the keys I wanted. This FIX was done by the DEV not by a 3rd party mod as I use NO mods for about the last year or so, as a year or so after launch they patch all my issues with the game. So I stop using mods like mini map expansions for when the car went fast and a mod that made driving better and my own configuration text file modification for key binding.

Example: Crouch set from "C" to "Right CTRL" is how I play all my games, and this was allowed after the DEV fixed the key bindings sometime after launch.

Am I remembering this wrong?

So how NOW is it not possible (allow key custom binding) when they had already done it once before?
What "dev" fixed which game when? If you're referring to CP2077, I think only the F key was non-remappable. The Witcher games had a few more, though I can't remember which ones exactly.

Last edited:

They managed to make it work on Witcher 3, as far as I know. Nonetheless, this is a huge blunder that should not at all be present in a game like this. I understand when Among us has fixed key binds, but here it just makes no sense. As stated by many, this screws over people with slightest difference, not to mention handicaped and so on.

Thank you for your summary, for me it simply means I won't buy the game.

Here is the fix for Refunding Skill points.

I know this isn't exactly addressing the OP's issue, but you can use the XML file to rebind all of the hardcoded keys by following my example below and accessing the XML file via notepad to make edits. I don't know why they didn't just assign in game key bind GROUPS like smart programmers but *shrugs*, hope this helps!

Go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Cyberpunk 2077\r6\config" and look for "inputUserMappings.xml" right click and open with Notepad.

Then Ctrl+F and search for "sell_perk" should look like

<mapping name="sell\_perk" type="Button" SIEJADependent="true" >
<button id="IK\_Pad\_Y\_TRIANGLE"/>
<button id="IK\_Middlemouse"/>
</mapping>

Simply change the "Middlemouse" to a letter on your keyboard like this below:

<button id="IK\_G"/>

Save the file or Ctrl+S and load up the game should be fixed.

Also, you can search for all of the middlemouse inputs in the XML file you opened with notepad and just rebind everything else like unequip for attachements or outfits and other middlemouse binds that don't work. This solution should work on any mouse. I had a razer basilisk. I read a lot of logitech's are having problems too.

For the unequip, I believe there were two keyboard binds on there for R and middlemouse. Just remove the middlemouse section completely and the game should now show R as the unequip button.

Honestly this is piss poor coding... shame CD Project Red...

Please let us rebind all keys. This was a complaint since release of the game. Why can't we even now, three years later? Manually editing the files mostly gets around it, but you shouldn't have to resort to editing files. (And further, if I can edit a file to fix it, why isn't just in the settings menu to begin with?!?)

And with 2.0/PL it's even worse. Having the same issue here - ESDF for movement, so you turn right in a vehicle and congrats, you're flying out of the car.

CDP, can you PLEASE fix this? Let us rebind ALL keys. And with PL, that includes keys assigned within perks.

why can't you use your main hand for normal movement and still use your right for other actions?

there are lots of mods made to allow rebinding of all keys and ways of manually editing the keybinds yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is this so hard for CDPR, this was a standard a decade ago.

I don't want to use your choices for what the mouse buttons do, I want to use what I want them to do.

Do I really have to go and edit a config file for me to get the keybinds to where I want them?

Last edited:
Why is this so hard for CDPR, this was a standard a decade ago.

I don't want to use your choices for what the mouse buttons do, I want to use what I want them to do.

Do I really have to go and edit a config file for me to get the keybinds to where I want them?

Been asking for this for years. It is not going to happen. Edit the config, that is what I have been doing from release of the game. Thank goodness it can be done or I would have refunded and missed out on the great content locked behind annoying mechanics.

Hello, I would like to use the right mouse button to walk, but no matter how I try to remap key, pressing right mouse button always causes a zoom. I tried to use the method shown by kokiro22 and in the file inputUserMappings.xml I found a function InspectionZoom (maybe she's causing zooming) assigned to the right mouse button but when I changed it to for example to z the game crash in the main menu. Does anyone have idea how to solve the problem of always zooming right button?
Post automatically merged:

I managed to remove the zoom from the right button in the "inputUserMappings.xml" file, everywhere where it said 'aim' I changed it from the right mouse button to the left mouse button. there is progress(y)(y)(y), but I have one more problem - how can I now make the zoom on the left mouse button be press(Toggle) and not hold?

Last edited:
Jesus Christ, has it been an issue THIS long!?

I'm a left-handed gamer and used to get by just fine before 2.1, but now the game has hardcoded some keys that it just REFUSES to let me rebind, so the game is basically no longer playable for me. What a total joke.

This is especially jarring since it used to work prior to the latest update.

If I'd known this was gonna happen, I'd've never updated, and I'm saying this as a left-handed gamer, not even as someone with more severe accessibility concerns.

Please CDPR, in an era where devs are making massive inroads insofar as accessibility is concerned for all gamers, such as design decision is baffling because - I repeat - IT USED TO WORK FINE!

Let me walk with my right click Mouse Button
Let me zoom/aim with my " button
let me click as i want
Let me click
Let me play.

Top Bottom