Letho's fate

+
First time I didn't kill him, because I didn't want to fight, I was confused about the plot, and I generally avoided killing people if I could. Second time I killed him just to see what happens, didn't give it much thought.

Today I completed my 3rd game and I decided to finish him off, although I'm still not sure if it's a better option. The arguments against killing are obvious, but I decided to consider it as finished business - he already repaid his debt by taking care of Yennefer. The fact he helped Triss is admittedly harder to dismiss, especially that I'd never have saving her as my priority and proper choice.
But then my more 'immediate' and short term arguments prevailed. He started the whole thing, getting him was one of the major goals, so I just wanted to end it. And what's probably most important, I felt I owe it to Roche - because going with Iorveth is my canon playthrough. So killing Letho was the least I could do for the guy who saved Geralt's life twice; and we promised it to him after all. Loyalty was the reason. Another argument, though not as grave, was revenge - he wanted to betray and kill Iorveth and I disapprove of it.

He made a lot of mess and caused pointless (from my perspective) havoc. I understand he feels out of place as a witcher and hopes to achieve something that would improve the way witchers are treated. But, as Arosus ^ says, is rebuilding witcher schools a good thing? I see it only in the interest of Letho, although he seems to mean it in all honesty.
In a way he strikes me as a very naive person. He's smart enough to manipulate brilliant minds and make a mess, but his hope of getting a witcher school back seems to be quite short-sighted. From what we can gather about the Nilfgaard empire (from the game, haven't read the books), they won't have any scrupules about getting rid of Letho once he's done his job (just look at what happened to Shilard). The big manipulator is being used himself.

So in quite a twisted way I think that killing Letho is actually doing him service. I'd rather this gullible poor bastard died with dignity at a fellow witcher's non enemy hands, instead of those of Nilfgaard army or secret service.

Well, unless Letho is playing his manipulative game to the very end? Selling Geralt the information he wants and posing as a goodhearted guy who only wanted to feel at home, just to make Geralt release him? Maybe his sincerity isn't sincere at all?

Letho is probably my most difficult decision right now, although I still have problems about Stennis and Sheala....

fortuneman said:
I am interested in what your choice was. I chose to let him go because in many ways his choices were similar to Geralt's.
Furthermore, I felt like there is no reason for payback and empty revenge is just not Geralt's style :)

Yes, I killed him, he has to die for Geralt to go free, and the guilty must be punished, and there is no way the law could have punished Letho, he would have killed them all, even Vernon Roche would have been killed by him. Bottom line, in my opinion, is criminals must be judged, and only Geralt had the skills to carry out said judgement.

How did Letho help Triss? (I did Iorveth's playthrough) At all? He kidnapped her and forced her to teleport him. He helped YENNEFER, not Triss. And he helped Yennefer because he owed Geralt for saving his life 'cuz Letho was an idiot and tried to rely on his brute strength to parry a slizard... Geralt owes him nothing but the edge of his sword, in my opinion. Plus, Geralt doesn't need to be looking for a rogue witcher over his shoulder for the rest of his days, killing Letho ensured Geralt that he had one less enemy to look out for in the future. I saw no reason to let him live, Letho is a trouble-maker and casted a very ugly shadow over the Witchers as a whole, and they already have enough going against them, they don't need the crime and suspicion of regicide being placed on all of them.

Reaper004 said:
How did Letho help Triss? (I did Iorveth's playthrough) At all?

Have you played once only? Serious question, no sarcasm intended.

Btw. I remembered another reason for killing Letho: Cedric.

dragonbird said:
Did they kidnap children? I haven't read the books, but I always assumed that the children were orphans or willingly handed over by their parents.

some people say they do... it is hard to distinguish what are hatred-driven legends and what is the truth. what is sure
that sometimes they took children of destiny/fortune/fate/surprise (I dont know the correct English translation) even though
their parents would want to go back on their promise. Geralt himself tried to avoid this situation but... this would be a heavy spoiler as to the second book (second short novel collection) which has one of the nicest story twist ever and almost makes me cry every time :) so I am not saying anything more :)

what is sure
that sometimes they took children of destiny/fortune/fate/surprise (I dont know the correct English translation) even though
their parents would want to go back on their promise.
I don't know if this particular case should be considered kidnapping.

I think those mages who created witchers in the first place didn't much care for the children themselves, so why would they ask if they wanted to test some mutations and become emotionless killingmachines or not... After all the mages were ready to mutate those children in a very dangerous way which would kill most of the kids... Moral is somehow far from it. Kidnapping wouldn't surprise me..

But yeah, I can't exactly remember if witchers themselves kidnap or is it only a rumour.

Out of my 2 playthroughs I killed him both times, partly because he killed or endangered people Geralt cared about(Cedric, leaving an injured Triss to get eaten by a troll in the ravines), partly because he was a manipulator who killed everyone he dealt with just to keep his secrets(the apprentice monk he bribed, various elves, Sile de Tancarville, he even intended to kill Iorveth when he was finished with him) and partly because I didn't feel his ends justified his means(Destablizing all the Northern Kingdoms and triggering a war that's probably gonna result in the deaths of thousands just so he and his buddies could have a castle to live in?).

I can't think of any reason why they would need to kidnap children to create witchers. In their world, there would always be plenty of orphans around. Why alienate humanity by kidnapping? My understanding from the games, in particular the Prologue in TW1, was that the anti-witcher propaganda was a fairly recent thing, and I had suspected the GM was probably responsible for a lot of it. Were they hated in the books?

(Yup, I knew about the Children of Destiny or whatever the correct name is. I wouldn't consider it kidnapping either.)

FletIorwetha said:
Have you played once only? Serious question, no sarcasm intended.

Btw. I remembered another reason for killing Letho: Cedric.

Yeah I just beat the game and chose to save Triss myself (And honestly, I now consider The Witcher Series to be the best RPG Series since Baldur's Gate 2: SoA & ToB). I assume you guys are talking about what happens if Geralt decides to NOT save Triss himself (Therein he saves Phillipa Eilhart or whatever Roche's path is) that Letho saves her for you? But my Geralt would never abandon Triss! :p

I would prefer if that encounter was first a fight in which Geralt wins, and then he talks to letho, after that - decide, let him go or kill him. He would again owe his life to Geralt, cause i would have let him go. :)

I sided with Vernon and killed Letho in my first game. Siding with Vernon was an easy choice because Geralt could have died without the cooperation of Vernon in the Prologue when the king's murder case was extremely against the witcher's favor. I've told Vernon the truth and Geralt's release in my game was under the condition that I'd capture the real Kingslayer. While witchers are politically neutral, Geralt owed Vernon a big favor.

Some people pointed how Letho helped Yen recover and whatnot, but we only know what happened from his side of the story. Maybe if Letho wasn't dragging Yen around in obviously populated and dangerous places for her kind, she would not have been captured by the Nilgaardians. Maybe she had enough strength to lay low in the nearest village for rest.

If Letho was truly decent, he could have told everything to Geralt during the first "re-encounter" in the elven ruins when he realized Geralt was suffering from amnesia. He had the chance to tell Geralt that he's being ordered by the Nilfgaardians and the Sorceresses for reasons he clearly didn't know and Letho could have cooperated with Geralt and Vernon/Iorveth in unveiling the bigger plot.

Instead, he chose to act tough, kidnap Triss in the process, and only escalated the threat in the northern kingdoms. I really didn't appreciate his "yeah, I did this and that, I did some bad things. So what? I'll still kill you if we fight" attitude.

He is also from a different witcher school. Who knows if the viper school have forsaken their witcher's code. Just because Letho and his gang are fellow witchers isn't enough reason to let him go.

I didn't kill Berengar in Witcher 1 (at least in the save game I used for my Witcher 2 first play through). I didn't kill Letho in my first Witcher 2 game. They are alike and may need one another in the future, though having Letho loose could indeed be a future Witcher 3 problem -- or a challenge!

First time when i playing i didn't kill Letho becouse i thought that this is impossible. I thought that Letho don't let me go and we fight whatever. Suprised. Secound time i kill him. Why? Becouse he framed us. Of course he rescue Triss but i think he did this becouse he scared Geralt. Quietly yelp for mercy. I don't have mercy to him, never.

Adityathewarriorwithin said:
No.
See no reason to kill him as (Geralt 'himself said') that would change nothing.
Seeing all what he did how or why should I?
Moreover did like his character, hope to see him return in the next game in some capacity.

After seeing this thread I remembered Berengar, sad that the devs didn't intend him to survive in the final duel with Azad. Didn't want the same thing to repeat.

The fact that he says that is because u choose not to kill him. Its ur Geralt. Does not mean if u choose the other that his death wont change a thing or is not important to you. When u choose a decision geralt respons with that decision in mind. So that himself said is of no importance whatsoever for the kill or no kill.

Adityathewarriorwithin said:
First time I didn't kill him, because I didn't want to fight, I was confused about the plot, and I generally avoided killing people if I could. Second time I killed him just to see what happens, didn't give it much thought.

Today I completed my 3rd game and I decided to finish him off, although I'm still not sure if it's a better option. The arguments against killing are obvious, but I decided to consider it as finished business - he already repaid his debt by taking care of Yennefer. The fact he helped Triss is admittedly harder to dismiss, especially that I'd never have saving her as my priority and proper choice.
But then my more 'immediate' and short term arguments prevailed. He started the whole thing, getting him was one of the major goals, so I just wanted to end it. And what's probably most important, I felt I owe it to Roche - because going with Iorveth is my canon playthrough. So killing Letho was the least I could do for the guy who saved Geralt's life twice; and we promised it to him after all. Loyalty was the reason. Another argument, though not as grave, was revenge - he wanted to betray and kill Iorveth and I disapprove of it.

He made a lot of mess and caused pointless (from my perspective) havoc. I understand he feels out of place as a witcher and hopes to achieve something that would improve the way witchers are treated. But, as Arosus ^ says, is rebuilding witcher schools a good thing? I see it only in the interest of Letho, although he seems to mean it in all honesty.
In a way he strikes me as a very naive person. He's smart enough to manipulate brilliant minds and make a mess, but his hope of getting a witcher school back seems to be quite short-sighted. From what we can gather about the Nilfgaard empire (from the game, haven't read the books), they won't have any scrupules about getting rid of Letho once he's done his job (just look at what happened to Shilard). The big manipulator is being used himself.

So in quite a twisted way I think that killing Letho is actually doing him service. I'd rather this gullible poor bastard died with dignity at a fellow witcher's non enemy hands, instead of those of Nilfgaard army or secret service.

Well, unless Letho is playing his manipulative game to the very end? Selling Geralt the information he wants and posing as a goodhearted guy who only wanted to feel at home, just to make Geralt release him? Maybe his sincerity isn't sincere at all?

Letho is probably my most difficult decision right now, although I still have problems about Stennis and Sheala....

Very nice prespective. +1

Yes. Hard choice but:

-Both witchers want to fight. There is a fight without hate, I think is about two witchers who become enemies for the circunstances and finnally seeing who is better swordman and witcher.
-Is about innocence of Geralt and the proof of Nilfgaard intervention
-You choose yes with a little bit revenge, for Geralt... and Foltest.

Anyway, I choose yes thinking like a cold Roche do.

Also, Letho cant live. I mean... Nilfgaard is not going to let him live... Is about die in a final battle or having a life of getaways.

Is very difficult... I really dont know if I am here telling my reasons or my subcounscious is trying to convice myself

I killed him only to see the challenge h's got for me. I didn't want to actually. Next time I'm sure I won't provided he doesn't do anything different on my Roche path.

I killed him.

I was like: Okay, I have been chasing this sucker the whole game and now I'm just gonna let him walk away? No way, man.

what Jobbert said.

I killed him, because he killed Foltest and I was blamed for it. He was richly rewarded for his insolence.

I killed him first playthrough.

I killed him because he put the blame on the death of a King on me AND he killed my chum Foltest (the prologue made Foltest seem like a fun dude to be with).

That was my reasoning the first time, the multiple playthroughs later on vary and reasoning are not so simple. If I were to do another playthrough again, the decision to kill or let him go is still ambiguous.

I didn't kill Letho. After all, he saved Yen (though I hate her) and saved Triss while my Geralt was saving Saskia for Iorveth :))) Life for life...

Top Bottom