List Your Favorite Easter Eggs!

+
I failed to detect the majority of the references myself, however, somehow, I still managed to enjoy the game and chuckle every now and again. They did a fine job.

Oh, the game is brilliant. The humour is great. That's what makes the errors that are there, so darned glaring.

Easily one of the best if it wasn't for the issues that stand out like sore thumbs in amoungst all the rest :)

I loved the sound that was heard, when Geralt looked at the painting in dining room at Von Everec estate in HoS. Reminded me of the first three Silent Hills games, where the same sound was used when hero looked at the map.

Guest 3823474

Two in-jokes I found - intelligent humor (spoilers)

Dunno whether there's a thread about them; Strangely search didn't yield anything, but here are two in-jokes I discovered recently. At least one of them is quite obvious, so you'll likely know. The other is a bit more subtle.

First when you go to the lair of the cat school witcher who went berserk, you can find a letter that talks about how the cat school has been raided by soldiers and that while two witchers are confirmed dead, another one named Schrödinger might be alive, might be dead.
(I.e. Schrödinger's cat)
And I have to say I love intelligent humor in games and generally - for obvious reasons. :cool:

The other one was about that mage tower that just appeared. The mage trapped inside said that the tower had a Defensive Regulatory Magicum triggered and Geralt was like 'Huh? What's that?'
Naturally Geralt would have no clue about DRM. ;-)

The tower's DRM can be shut down by using GoG - Gottfried's omniopening Grimoire ;) I thought the quest with the tower was one of the funniest throughout the game. I loved the DRM and how it desperately tried to get rid of Geralt. I don't know about other languages, but in German the remark Geralt made about being poisoned sounded as if he couldn't believe it AND was making fun of it at the same time. The voice actor did another really good job there - totally cracked me up :)

The letter you mention - is it on the body of the Cat School Witcher you encounter? I think I may have picked it up but I don't read every document very thoroughly *ahem*

Guest 3823474

Ah, wow, I didn't pay that close attention to the tower quest (and only started it so far). That's even better that more is coming. I guess the DRM thing caught my attention so much that it blinded me for the GoG.

The letter, I guess, could be on his body if you kill him. I let him live and he told me the location of his stash and there I found it.

Left me with slight mixed feelings. I assumed he gave me his savings (money seeming so mortally important to him) as a bit of penance for what he did, self-discipline. And the letter is further reason for him being in emotional turmoil.
He did have three trophies hanging on the wall, and Geralt commented that maybe they tried to scam him about those, too. So either he's got a hoarder problem or something or a streak of bad luck.

I let him live because he was open and sincere about what he did, and I respect that. I also very much do not respect rotten character. The people not knowing how to pay him was no excuse for filthy murderous betrayal. It was an opportunity for them to show some decency and figure something out, like others did, but they decided to be weak and give into wickedness, and that's always a personal decision that responsibility needs to be taken for.
As for whether the other people there knew/agreed, that's debatable, but due to own real life experiences I know that few people are actually as "innocent" as Geralt called them.
The fact that even in his vengeful fury the witcher spared the child showed that it was indeed fueled by rage over that rotten character. He instinctively knew a child would be innocent.
I didn't tell the woman the truth. I said 'something like bandits, yeah'. Easy decision after just having witnessed the weakness in commoners.

BTW I also spared Letho in W2. I was just so damn tired and exhausted from all the drama and bloodshed and Letho seemed to feel the same. (How immersive! And also shows that the ultimate solution to such is to let go of the mind's control and its concepts. To just stop and breathe. To no longer buy into the madness.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh. Did I just spoil the tower quest for you? If so, I'm really sorry, I thought you had already finished it.

I think I never saw the other witcher's stash becuase I would have remembered trophies on a wall - or a wall, for that matter. The whole conversation with the guy took place beneath a tree so I guess I have missed that easter egg *meh* But then, I killed the guy - betrayal is no reason for slaughtering a whole village. I also didn't allow him a Swallow before the fight. Probably not how Geralt would act in the books but that was me as a player taking over. If I ever replay the game, I might come to different decisions - not only with this quest but with others as well.

Guest 3823474

I started with the spoilers for that quest here and didn't indicate I hadn't finished it, so don't worry. ) ( Personal responsibility. ;-) )

Well, his actions were in a moment of intense emotional pain. Your decision to kill him was premeditated, more controlled. It enforces the mind's concepts, but requires the heart to close. In a tragic chain of events, you decided to become the next link. His death also kills something in you.
I admit though, I had to think about my choice for a bit. That's why I also appreciate that the player can take their time to think. That's what makes it such a valuable exercise. Getting a videogame player to think and ponder on moral dilemmas - that's definitely a good thing.)

I value the game highly though for presenting such difficult decisions that are not overblown in order to cause psycho-terror and disturbance, but are like gentle practice for self-exploration.
That's way more valuable than deciding whether to deliver 20 bear asses or spare some animal life, haha. Speaking of ... I seem to remember there is a mission for collecting bear pelts, but I don't remember whether it was 20. That would be another in-joke, haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom