Loading times issue - solution coming

+
phalzyr said:
phalzyr said:
5 seconds ?? Do you have a raid array of some kind ??? This is really fast :)
Raid Array? That'd slow it down compared to having a SCSI drive not in raid mode. You should ask what type of drive he has ;) Personally I have a 500GB SATA2 Hard drive and it took 5 seconds to save in chapter 1 then add two seconds roughly every chapter. I've been thinking of getting another SATA2 drive though to put my swap file on to help my horrendous load times (10-30 second, though loading FIRST saved game takes almost a minute and half, after that about a minute to load in chapter 3). BTW I was joking when I said "horrendous".
A RAID 0 array would increase that performance. RAID 0 uses data striping... therefor increasing the bandwidth of data. 2x 500 gb SATA 2 hard drives in a RAID 0 array is faster than 1x 500gb SATA 2 hdd.

Kral said:
Kral said:
Raid Array? That'd slow it down compared to having a SCSI drive not in raid mode.
Fail.
how so? Neuromantik: Raid 0 is not real raid it is just splitting the file writing evenly, and yes that'd increase performance a little. when refering to using raid I think of for backing up drives so if one goes bad all data is still available in that case it is writning more data to the Hard drives and I guess it all depends on how much throughput you can get to all drives at once, usually they share the same bandwidth on SCSI array(You don't really need an array for using other types in Raid mode). It all depends on the machine and setup, I've seen more often than not having RAID decrease performance.

For reference:E6600 Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz2 GB of RAM DDR2 6400Geforce 7950GTSATA drivesWindows XP SP2Settings:ALL MAXED (including 2x AA)1680 x 1050In to small building - :10-15 sec.from building to Vizima - 40-55 sec.I am gonna add 2GB more of RAM and install my 8800GT card.I suspect it will reduce it to 7-12 sec and 30-45 respectively.I would like CDPR patch will reduce it to 2-4 sec for interior and 8-10 sec max for exterior.We will see

crimsonfilms said:
For reference:E6600 Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz2 GB of RAM DDR2 6400Geforce 7950GTSATA drivesWindows XP SP2Settings:ALL MAXED (including 2x AA)1680 x 1050In to small building - :10-15 sec.from building to Vizima - 40-55 sec.I am gonna add 2GB more of RAM and install my 8800GT card.I suspect it will reduce it to 7-12 sec and 30-45 respectively.I would like CDPR patch will reduce it to 2-4 sec for interior and 8-10 sec max for exterior.We will see
I have a lot better performance with similar system (same CPU, same RAM (well i have dual-ddr, but that doesn't make much difference)), except i have 8800gts : small buildings - 3-5 seconds, large territories - from 10 to 25, on rare occasions 35 seconds. Though saving takes up to 10 more seconds. Maybe try to optimize your hdd, that helped me a little.

laurasxxx said:
I have a lot better performance with similar system (same CPU, same RAM (well i have dual-ddr, but that doesn't make much difference)), except i have 8800gts : small buildings - 3-5 seconds, large territories - from 10 to 25, on rare occasions 35 seconds. Though saving takes up to 10 more seconds. Maybe try to optimize your hdd, that helped me a little.
What are your video game settings? Resolution, AA, etc?Thanks

Follow up.Luraaxxx post made me recheck my system. I originally installed Witcher on my secondary drive - my usual place for Program Files. I reinstalled it back to the main OS drive. I reduced my load times to basically the same as his 2-6 sec for small buildings and 10-35 for large. Moral of the story isKeep Witcher on the same drive as the OS but seperate your paging file to another drive. Make sure you have 2 or more GB for Windows XP. Vista will need 3 GB or more since it is more of a memory hog than XP is.I still would like to see small buildings down to 1-3 secs and large areas to 5-10 sec.

Mobidoy said:
Another moral is... Look at the faq.. all those info are already there and explained :)
Thanks capt obvious. :) I have 3 drives. My program files are on my 2nd drive. Paging file is on a dedicated 3rd drive. Your FAQ only addresses 2 drives. With 3 drives, it follows the same principle - your system can access system files (OS), program files and the swap file simultaneously. But for some reason this actually hinders Witcher. The only app in my system that behaves this way. Sorry for not being clear on the 3rd drive.

Lol well i would opt for 4 drives and put 2 in a raid array, or maybe create a raid 10... Lol we could go far that way !!!!Anyway, who am i to talk, i am only on a crappy notebook.......

I have a pretty ancient system and the witcher works great. Vid card is 2 years old, CPU 4 years old.The one thing that made a difference was upgrading from 1gb of PC3200 ram to 2GB. The game loads up to the menus in about 10 seconds (with pressing ESC) and small huts and things in about 2-4 seconds. Only the larger outdoor sections take anywhere near 10+ seconds.

Really the only complaint I have with loading/saving is the fact that I am forced to autosave every time I zone to a new area, why on earth that has not been fixed already is completely beyond me. It seems a simple and easy fix to add in the ability to turn off autosave, if its not then they never built the program right in the first place. Release a simple patch to turn off autosave as soon as possible PLEASE!! :'(

The witcher uses about 1.2gb of memory when I have it running, maybe I get good speeds because I have 1gb of video memory also

Enuff grey hairs!!!! Loading time and cutscreen time is definitely a problem that needs to be fixed. Lag in battles and inventory improvements are a plus. A lock on first person view would have been a nice fresh perspective. I killed lakeshore monster and saved game, I returned only to find out that the trophy disappeared from inventory and quest showed monster already dead.Quest remained incomplete and hunter only has goblin trophy.Oh well....This is a great game just waiting for bugfixes to make it a greater one. Maybe its expansion will make it best rpg of all time!

Here are my system specs:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~CPU: AMD 64 Live! X2 Dual-Core 4400+Memory: Corsair 2GB DDR2HDD1: Hitashi 250GB SATA Hard Drive with 178GB freeHDD2: Western Digital Cavlier 80GB ATA Hard Drive with 12GB freeOS: Windows XP Pro SP2Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 6150SE on Nforce 430Sound: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy X2DVD-Rom: HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-H30LMy load times in general are about 30-45 seconds, but all my advanced graphics options are turned to the lowest setting.And my OS is on my C drive, the game is on my E drive.

Where is your pagefile ? It has to be different physical hard drive, not partition, look up in the faq (link in my signature) go in windows maintenance, you will see an explanation of all this !

[MOD] You can say anything you want if it stays within the limit of respect.. This was way to agressive and you have used words that are not acceptable on the board.First warning !!!

Top Bottom